Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 08-02-2022, 7:34 AM

Default Olight quick detach lever.....seems like it's possible it could get snagged.

Does anyone with the Olight (especially Baldr series) have experience with the quick detach lever? It seems odd to me b/c of the way it's facing. It looks very possible it could get hooked or snagged on something as it's brought up.

I don't know. I'm sure it isn't a big issue, just something I would be a bit worried about. I'll probably just stick with the TLR series from Streamlight but the Baldr S is intriguing.

Old 08-02-2022, 9:47 AM
Veteran Member

Its theoretically a possible problem...in thousands of presentations from a safariland 6300 rds series holster I've never had a problem.

p.s. Lazers on handguns are worthless, just get a white light
Old 08-02-2022, 10:56 AM

Have several of these on multiple firearms (without the laser); handguns, AR's, shotguns and never been an issue.

If you fixate and worry about anything you'll eventually start coming up with these "what if" scenarios.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 08-12-2022 at 5:52 PM..
Old 08-02-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
Its theoretically a possible problem...in thousands of presentations from a safariland 6300 rds series holster I've never had a problem.

Great to hear there haven't been any issues that you've had or seen.

Ya, I wouldn't use the laser in general as I feel it's just going to mess with my iron sights or red dot target acquisition. Another "thing" to worry about trying to line up.

The only reason I was thinking about it is if someone who doesn't train much with it or isn't a good aim had to use it in a life or death situation. Maybe...just maybe they could point and shoot with the laser. But even that's a massive stretch that someone unfamiliar could even flip the laser on (unless it's pressure switch) and use the weapon.

I guess the only other reason I could think of would be if you were in some odd angle or position and could potentially just try to get the laser on the target if you are unable to get a good angle for aiming?
Old 08-02-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
Have several of these on multiple firearms; handguns, AR's, shotguns and never been an issue.

If you fixate and worry about anything you'll eventually start coming up with these "what if" scenarios.
Thanks for the feedback!

I've read mixed reviews online with the Olight.....well mostly good reviews but then there are people trashing them calling them out like they are just paying for all the reviews or have a weird social media presence. IT's good to hear from people here.

I was looking Baldr series for my Glock and Odin mini for my AR. Have a Streamlight TLR-1 on the mossberg. Could go Streamlight on all but Olight seems comparable in all tests I've seen.
Old 08-02-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNinja View Post
Thanks for the feedback!

I've read mixed reviews online with the Olight.....well mostly good reviews but then there are people trashing them calling them out like they are just paying for all the reviews or have a weird social media presence. IT's good to hear from people here.

I was looking Baldr series for my Glock and Odin mini for my AR. Have a Streamlight TLR-1 on the mossberg. Could go Streamlight on all but Olight seems comparable in all tests I've seen.
I'm not a super gear hound or a cork sniffer. I just think their stuff works, no frills, etc.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie Boombatz View Post
I'm not a super gear hound or a cork sniffer. I just think their stuff works, no frills, etc.
I both like and dislike the idea of the rechargable battery. But let's be honest. I'm not spending hours at a time using the light.

Also it's not like Olight is the cheapest cheapie light either. There are tons of much cheaper options out there on Amazon and stuff. But of course coming to a gun forum people are going to be much more into the high quality equipment.

I've also learned a while ago to not buy cheap crap b/c you end up buying 3 of them or buying good stuff later anyway. I like the insights here on what good mid level gear is. I don't need a $400 light but also don't want a $40 light.
Old 08-03-2022, 11:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I like the insights here on what good mid level gear is. I don't need a $400 light but also don't want a $40 light.
You definitely described Streamlight, but you do not have to be a gear snob to love Surefire. They are popular for a reason and it isn't the high prices.
Old 08-08-2022, 8:25 AM

I have 3 BALDR and 1 BALDR Mini all with the same locking mechanism and no issues. That lever is actually pretty tight - you can tighten it with a screw on the opposite side.
Old 08-08-2022, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dC0m View Post
I have 3 BALDR and 1 BALDR Mini all with the same locking mechanism and no issues. That lever is actually pretty tight - you can tighten it with a screw on the opposite side.
Great feedback. It must not be an issue as I haven't read any negative items on it. I didn't realize you could tighten it down too.

For my pistol I decided to go with STreamlight TLR series. I don't know, I just trust it a bit more, have a TLR on my HD shotgun already, and have CR123 batteries always around.

For my AR though, not a primary HD gun, I'm debating between Olight Odin mini and Streamlight ProTac Rail 1 or 2 (HL1000 seems too big/bright for what I need).

I may check out the Baldr mini at some point too on a different gun that isn't primary HD pistol. If heard nothing but good things about them.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
For my AR though, not a primary HD gun, I'm debating between Olight Odin mini and Streamlight ProTac Rail 1 or 2 (HL1000 seems too big/bright for what I need).
You already figured out Streamlight is better than OLIGHT.

The Streamlight RM1 and RM2. Good light and good pressure switch kit. Good price.

https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/tlr-rm1
https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/tlr-rm2

Old 08-08-2022, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
You already figured out Streamlight is better than OLIGHT.

The Streamlight RM1 and RM2. Good light and good pressure switch kit. Good price.

https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/tlr-rm1
https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/tlr-rm2

Sometimes we need someone to point out our own moronic tendencies to overthink things...heh.

If I researched and came to the conclusion Streamlight was better for me for my pistol and my shotgun, why would I get 1 Olight for my AR and use different batteries, different controls, etc.? lol - The price is comparable or at least within $50 or less usually, which isn't a deal breaker.

Great prices on the RM1 and RM2 - I've read mixed reviews on the 1000 lumen HL-X. I feel like RM2 at like 600 lumen is a nice sweet spot. But for indoors I'm sure the RM1 at 325ish is PLENTY for me too and a bit lighter and smaller.

I need to get another gun then so I can put a different light on each gun.
Old 08-08-2022, 6:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Great prices on the RM1 and RM2 - I've read mixed reviews on the 1000 lumen HL-X. I feel like RM2 at like 600 lumen is a nice sweet spot. But for indoors I'm sure the RM1 at 325ish is PLENTY for me too and a bit lighter and smaller.

I need to get another gun then so I can put a different light on each gun.
They are great lights and price is right too. I have INFORCE also and the Streamlight is made a lot better IMHO. Inforce is a lot of plastic. I have a few TLR7 on Glocks, and Surefire.
Old 08-09-2022, 12:11 AM

I use the Baldr Mini w/green laser on my Canik TP9SF in a Safariland 6360 RDS meant for a S&W M&P1.0 (it works great lol!) and that lever has never snagged on anything. Though there is noticable play between the light assembly and the adjustable rail, the laser holds zero and its still holding up well.

In my experience, a visible laser is really only useful when training new shooters to watch for flinching, or in limited escalation of force scenarios. IR lasers are far more useful, if you shoot at night with PVS-14 like I do. At least the BALDR Mini has the laser built into the lens saving on bulk and making it more compatible with my existing Safariland holsters.

Despite what keyboard commandos spew out (most of them spend more time behind their computer than at the range lol) Olight makes decent stuff. Not the best, but definitely not airsoft grade either. Friends of mine mount their handhelds on their NFA full autos without issue either so I won't hesitate to use them as weapon lights.

Quote:
You definitely described Streamlight, but you do not have to be a gear snob to love Surefire. They are popular for a reason and it isn't the high prices.
I don't understand how people still like Surefire as they are overpriced, slow to innovate, and I've had multiple SF products fail on me. For the money they charge and how much **** their fanboys talk, I expect perfection and never having to use their horrible CS multiple times lol.
Old 08-09-2022, 9:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawusmc0844 View Post
I use the Baldr Mini w/green laser on my Canik TP9SF in a Safariland 6360 RDS meant for a S&W M&P1.0 (it works great lol!) and that lever has never snagged on anything. Though there is noticable play between the light assembly and the adjustable rail, the laser holds zero and its still holding up well.

Despite what keyboard commandos spew out (most of them spend more time behind their computer than at the range lol) Olight makes decent stuff. Not the best, but definitely not airsoft grade either. Friends of mine mount their handhelds on their NFA full autos without issue either so I won't hesitate to use them as weapon lights.

I don't understand how people still like Surefire as they are overpriced, slow to innovate, and I've had multiple SF products fail on me. For the money they charge and how much **** their fanboys talk, I expect perfection and never having to use their horrible CS multiple times lol.
Personally I wouldn't consider myself a SUREFIRE fanboy, but anyone can make a judgement call on whether they prefer the quality of the tubes, switches, light, longevity that a certain brand offers. I think I have two... X300U on a large frame Glock and a XC1 on a G19... I have a lot more Streamlights. USed to be that Surefire felt better, produced higher quality light, spill, and the switches are better, they fit on guns without any gaps or wasted space compared to the Streamlights. However Streamlight is making better fitting lights like the TLR-7 series that fit perfect compared to say a TLR-1 HL or a TLR-4... the only light I sent back was a TLR-4 where the plastic rail mount snapped off on a really old TLR-4.

How much do you actually use the OLIGHTS? How many batteries have you really been through, when do you actually use white light?

No one said they were AIRSOFT toys, but I don't think they are any better than other cheapo import lights like much of the 5.11 lights, Amazon mystery brands, etc... I'm not saying you love China if you support crap like that, because I have some 5.11 lights, etc... and I know where the fit and finish, switch and seal longevity has been compared to good lights. Yeah, it doesn't matter as much if you use them in the temperature controlled house on carpet, heheh. Would you REALLY use that rattly cheapo OLIGHT in the desert?? Did you pay for them or get them free?
Old 08-09-2022, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawusmc0844 View Post

In my experience, a visible laser is really only useful when training new shooters to watch for flinching, or in limited escalation of force scenarios. IR lasers are far more useful, if you shoot at night with PVS-14 like I do. At least the BALDR Mini has the laser built into the lens saving on bulk and making it more compatible with my existing Safariland holsters.

I'm guessing for my scenario (weekend warrior, having fun putting together guns, etc. Yes I shoot but I'm not going through 1000s of rounds or anything.) most lights are going to be fine. Which is why I can't justify $300 on a light for example. I'm just not the guy going out on a 3 day course shooting constantly.

I try to stay somewhat main brands just to have holster options and figure the companies will be around awhile for warranties and wanting to keep their reputation in tact.

I got a laser on mine b/c as somewhat new shooter with a lot of other new shooters, it's quite handy, like you said, for just seeing where you are aiming, if you flinch, gives them some confidence, see how shakey you are, etc. It's good feedback. Also in a pinch it could potentially be useful at weird angles or someone who doesn't know how to aim could at least make an attempted shot on target by point and shoot.
Old 08-09-2022, 9:19 AM

Quote:
They are great lights and price is right too. I have INFORCE also and the Streamlight is made a lot better IMHO. Inforce is a lot of plastic. I have a few TLR7 on Glocks, and Surefire.
I got the TLR8 on my Glock. I mentioned above I got the laser b/c of a lot of new shooters. Not to rely on the laser, but to help with training and visualization I think is good. At least know if you are aiming down the sight at a wall target and the laser is 20 feet in front on the floor you are clearly aiming wrong
And if needed in life or death could make a shot at weird angles or give to someone who never shot and have them point and shoot and pray!
Old 08-12-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Personally I wouldn't consider myself a SUREFIRE fanboy, but anyone can make a judgement call on whether they prefer the quality of the tubes, switches, light, longevity that a certain brand offers. I think I have two... X300U on a large frame Glock and a XC1 on a G19... I have a lot more Streamlights. USed to be that Surefire felt better, produced higher quality light, spill, and the switches are better, they fit on guns without any gaps or wasted space compared to the Streamlights. However Streamlight is making better fitting lights like the TLR-7 series that fit perfect compared to say a TLR-1 HL or a TLR-4... the only light I sent back was a TLR-4 where the plastic rail mount snapped off on a really old TLR-4.

How much do you actually use the OLIGHTS? How many batteries have you really been through, when do you actually use white light?

No one said they were AIRSOFT toys, but I don't think they are any better than other cheapo import lights like much of the 5.11 lights, Amazon mystery brands, etc... I'm not saying you love China if you support crap like that, because I have some 5.11 lights, etc... and I know where the fit and finish, switch and seal longevity has been compared to good lights. Yeah, it doesn't matter as much if you use them in the temperature controlled house on carpet, heheh. Would you REALLY use that rattly cheapo OLIGHT in the desert?? Did you pay for them or get them free?
I actually had an X300 and XC-1 fail before. The X-300 was mounted to my old Springfield MC Operator and the inner lens cracked from not even a few hundred rounds, not . The light still worked but like I said earlier, at that price point I expect it to be a tank. SF sent me a replacement and I sold it off, as I preferred the TLR-1's mounting method and price.

I had an XC-1 that burned out and later flew off my Gen 3 Glock 19. I also found a XC-1 just past the firing line at an outdoor range during a large shooting event. It definitely flew off another guys gun and he either couldn't find it or said "what a piece of ****, who cares!?" SF sent me a new mounting clamp and screw, eventually got it back together (huge pain in the *** to reassemble it) and just like my first one, it stopped working. At least during that time SF did have good CS so they replaced both, and I sold them off. Easily SF's worst product they came out with IMO.

I have even more examples of different SF products failing or not living up to their reputation if you want me to type them out. I will backtrack a little and say their CS was truly terrible during 2016-18 period, where they removed their CS email and made you call them. Prior and after that they were much better and responsive so I'll give them that. However, being on hold for 4 hours for them to never answer, and waiting another 2 the next day to finally get ahold of them really left a bad taste in my mouth. This was for one of their headlamps no longer being able to charge.

In contrast the only issues I had with a Streamlight was a pre HL TLR-1 that had the polymer switch cap assembly crack, and that was after maybe at least 10k rounds through my Gen 3 G19. And a TLR-2 on the same MC Operator where the laser stopped running after a few hundred rounds. SL CS was easy and quick, sent me RMA to repair the laser and sent me a replacement switch assembly for the TLR-1.
I've been using TLR-1s for years with only those 2 issues so SL is my go to for duty grade WMLs. I use so many TLR-1 HLs on multiple different weapons, a TLR-7 on my second Gen 5 G19 MOS and a TLR-VIR-II on my Gen 5 17 MOS.

You may not call Olight airsoft, but if you look around online especially in trash sites like reddit there is so much hatred and negative memes towards Olight. The most obnoxious thing I've heard is that an Olight is a ticking time bomb. Funny how me and my friend's Olights haven't gone up in flames from all the full auto fire, or from illuminating a dark range for hours when we are zeroing on paper targets at night.

So my buddy and I purchased Olights directly from them during Black Friday 2 years ago. I got a handheld and the mini BALDR-Green and mounted that to my TP9SF that has 2000rds through it already. I'm currently testing it and despite the looseness, it hasn't lost zero and it sure hasn't cracked or blown up in the 2000rds I shot through it so far. So yes I am currently using it in the desert when I decide to carry the Canik because I am constantly going back and forth between that and my Gen 5 Glocks with Holosun 509Ts. Is it the best, absolutely not but definitely nowhere near as bad as the my SF XC-1s. Would I use it as a duty light? No because I believe a duty light should have the option of removable CR123s. However, until it fails or Olight or someone else comes out with a IR light and laser WML without the annoying aperture hanging below the main light assembly I will keep using it. a

My Olights see normal use when I'm with my friends since they don't have NODs or IR. Except for my Streamlights, all my other lights (Fenix, Klarus, Nitecore and Olight) use rechargeable 18650s that give me about 2 weeks of constant use at the brightest settings before I have to recharge them. When I am by myself, I only use my PVS-14s and IR mode which lasts even longer than that.

I dont care what brands people use, people should use whatever works best and gives them the most value. However, I got a big problem when I constantly hear how Surefire is superior because its made in murica and $500+ and anything from China must be cheap garbage. In my experience, some of the biggest pieces of garbage I've seen have "proudly made in USA' printed or slapped on to it. I am proudly Chinese and I use many Chinese made products that are equal or even better than overpriced US made equivalents. For example I got a Fenix TK25-IR that has been mounted to whatever AR I feel like shooting at the time. 4 years, at least tens of thousands of rounds, Vegas desert heat, cold, rain and banging off hard surfaces and it still works to this day.

I also have a tiny Fenix LD-02 from work that has seen even more abuse that refuses to die. Im so impressed by its performance I had to buy one for myself. Fenix now has the GL19R so if it works with my Safariland holsters I want to test it out myself.
Old 08-12-2022, 2:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm still not sure I like the XC-1 switch, but it has held up and is super low-pro for smaller guns... the X300U is on a .45 ACP and 10mm frame so it is a good one that took a beating, never had a problem with it. I also have a TLR-1 HL on a G17 that has never had issues. I think the X300U fit and finish is way better than the TLR-1 HL - and better fit to the gun... the SUREFIRE has way less plastic. Plastic is why my TLR-4 broke, though I may have over tightened it... I don't want a light that can break if you tighten it down. I pretty much Loctite every screw that's on a gun accessory especially after it comes loose once.
Old 08-12-2022, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post

Based on what?

You learn to use an IR laser, the visible laser just becomes second nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUTTER View Post
Putin conquering Europe might actually be a good thing for humanity, in particular Davos, Switzerland.
Old 08-12-2022, 5:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Never used one, not into airsoft.
Old 08-12-2022, 6:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The most legit thing about the BALDR S is the font. IMHO. Dope font.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:23 PM

Imagine buying an olight