Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 5:12 AM

Default Building Sten MKII

I'm working on a Sten MKII semi. I have the receiver tube already.

I understand they are trying to stop this sort of thing. If they do, where will that leave me? If they are built and no serial numbers on it?

Just trying to decide if I should proceed forward or stop.

Last edited by Dolk; 02-26-2021 at 2:57 AM..
Old 05-17-2016, 2:24 PM
retired Goon

Under current CA laws...
If the parts are used to make a semi-auto rifle, then it needs to be configured so that it complies with CA assault weapons and SBR/SBS laws.

In addition, under Federal laws/regulations, they must operate as a closed bolt firearm. If they operate as an open-bolt semi-auto firearm, then they are considered MGs.

Currently, there are no Federal and CA laws that requires a firearm made for personal use to be marked/engraved.
But, there are marking/engraving requirements, if the firearm is ever transferred.

Unknown what the effect of future legislation may cause, because it has not been finalized.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 05-17-2016, 2:52 PM

you can either go pistol build or rifle build. if you build a pistol, you'll need a mag lock.
Old 05-17-2016, 4:24 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsu View Post
you can either go pistol build or rifle build. if you build a pistol, you'll need a mag lock.
As a handgun...

In order to be CA legal, it needs to be made as a dimensionally compliant bolt-action single-shot pistol or as a dimensionally compliant break-top/open single-shot pistol.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 05-17-2016, 4:34 PM

My concern is building one and presently the legislature wants to ban building these any more. My question is, if they do ban them, what happens

Last edited by Dolk; 02-26-2021 at 2:59 AM..
Old 05-17-2016, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolk View Post
I get all of that. I have a Sten MKIII Semi Auto rifle (extended barrel to 16" plus).

My concern is building another one and presently the legislature wants to ban building these any more. My question is, if they do ban them, what happens to the two I have already built? They don't have serial numbers and will I have to end up surrendering them???
Surrender nothing! Bury them lol
In all seriousness though that boating accident you had was really a bummer
Old 05-17-2016, 5:30 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
My concern is building another one and presently the legislature wants to ban building these any more. My question is, if they do ban them, what happens to the two I have already built? They don't have serial numbers and will I have to end up surrendering them???
No one really knows, because the legislation has not been finalized.

Old 02-24-2021, 8:03 PM

Old thread I know, but ..... I'm retired now and have everything I need to build it. Can I or can't I?

Mk2 Sten semi auto, 16" barrel or SBR with short barrel.

??????

What are my "road blocks?

D
Old 02-24-2021, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Old thread I know, but ..... I'm retired now and have everything I need to build it. Can I or can't I?

??????

D
Are you still in CA?
Old 02-24-2021, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheellock View Post
Are you still in CA?
Yes
Old 02-24-2021, 10:32 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheellock View Post
Quote:

??????

D
Are you still in CA?
Yes
The laws have changed several times, since you started this thread almost 5 years ago.

Under CA SBR laws...

Unless you have a valid CA DOJ Dangerous Weapons Permit for a SBR, BATFE will not approve a Form 1 for a SBR for a CA resident.

Without BATFE approval, making or possessing a SBR is a Federal felony.
Without CA DOJ approval, making or possessing a SBR in CA is a CA felony.

In order to obtain a CA DOJ Dangerous Weapons Permit for a SBR, the applicant needs a viable good cause.
Currently, the only acceptable good cause are:
1. To make, import, and transfer to a Gov/Mil/LE agency.
2. For use as a prop in the (movie/tv) entertainment industry.
In addition, using the SBR beyond the good cause for issuance (i.e. recreational shooting, competition shooting, self-defense, etc) is grounds for permit revocation and confiscation of the SBR.

Under CA self-made firearm laws...

If your receiver was made by a 07-FFL and transferred to you through a CA FFL dealer, then the firearm is exempt from CA self-made firearm laws.

If your receiver is a finished (81+%) self-made receiver that has not been marked with your info and voluntarily registered with CA DOJ before 07-01-2018, then it's an illegal self-made firearm.
^Technically, nothing can be done to make it CA legal and, if found in CA by CA LEOs, it is subject to confiscation/destruction.

If your receiver is an unfinished (80%) receiver, then as soon as you intend to self-make it into a finished (81+%) receiver, you must submit a Unique Serial Number Application (USNA) to CA DOJ BOF.

If you are approved, CA DOJ BOF will send you your approved marking info.
After you receive the CA DOJ approved info, you then have 10 days to mark that info on to your self-made receiver and submit proof (pictures) to CA DOJ BOF.
In addition, you have 30 days to complete your build and update the firearm's final configuration with pictures to CA DOJ BOF.

Modifying the firearm after the 30 days, will cause your self-made firearm to be a "new" illegal self-made firearm.

Under CA assault weapons laws...

Your self-made semi-auto centerfire rifle must not have any restricted features or must operate using a fixed 10 round magazine that can not be removed without disassemblying the firearm's action or that is permanently attached in the firearm's magazine well.

In addition, your self-made semi-auto centerfire rifle must have a minimum 16" barrel length and a minimum 30" overall length.

Overall length is measured with the rifle in the shortest possible firing configuration and non-permanently attached muzzle device removed.

Last edited by Quiet; 02-24-2021 at 11:01 PM..
Old 02-25-2021, 8:11 AM

So, what if I already have a "sten gun" -- built in semi configuration, it has no "features" on it, has a 16" barrel and made 10 years ago? Where would I stand on it?

DB
Old 02-26-2021, 1:54 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
So, what if I already have a "sten gun" -- built in semi configuration, it has no "features" on it, has a 16" barrel and made 10 years ago? Where would I stand on it?
Answer the following...

#1. With non-permanently attached muzzle device removed, is the overall length 30" or greater?
~If yes, then go to #2.
~If no, then it's an illegal assault weapon.

#2. Was this made on a receiver that was made by a 07-FFL and that receiver was transferred to you through a CA FFL dealer?
~If yes, then it is a CA legal featureless semi-auto centerfire rifle.
~If no, then go to #3.

#3. Was this made on a self-made receiver that was engraved with your information (your legal name, city & state where it was made, your model designation for it, caliber it is chambered in, your serial number for it) per BATFE specifications and voluntarily registered with CA DOJ before 07-01-2018?
~If no, then go to #4.

#4. Was this made on a self-made receiver that was engraved with CA DOJ approved info (your legal name, city & state where it was made, your model designation for it, caliber it is chambered in, CA DOJ assigned serial number) per CA DOJ specifications and registered with CA DOJ as a self-made firearm before 01-01-2019?
~If no, then go to #5.

#5. If the firearm is made on a self-made ("80%") receiver and it was never registered with CA DOJ, then it's an illegal self-made firearm that is subject to confiscation if discovered in CA by CA LEOs.

CA self-made firearm laws required self-made ("80%") firearms that were made before 07-01-2018 to be either voluntarily registered with the maker's info before 07-01-2018 [PC 29181(c)] or registered with CA DOJ approved info before 01-01-2019 [PC 29180(c)]. All self-made firearms made after 06-30-2018 must be registered with CA DOJ approved info. [PC 29180(b)]

Last edited by Quiet; 02-26-2021 at 2:06 AM..
Old 02-26-2021, 2:39 AM

This thread is done! LOL

D

Last edited by Dolk; 02-26-2021 at 2:48 AM..
Old 02-26-2021, 3:03 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
This thread is done! LOL

D
Indeed.
See your new thread for answers to your new questions.

Closed Thread