Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 10-30-2020, 6:20 AM
Banned

Default MOSSBERG 930

Has anyone put the SBE gas piston in their 930? Wondering what your thoughts are on their piston, and how it preforms. The 930 is a nice gun, shoots light loads with no problems.
Old 10-30-2020, 8:37 AM
Veteran Member

In my Shotgun Class at Front Sight last week there were several 930's. One guy who was shooting an A5 like mine had his son there shooting a 930 and the kid had some problems getting it to run. IN fact it down right shut down at one point and wouldn't cycle at all.

I was helping them figure it out and when we finally took it apart it was FILTHY! and it was DRY!

Once cleaned, and it was a cursory cleaning at best, and juiced up with some of my magic oil (Amsoil 20-50 Racing Oil) the gun ran fine for the rest of the day.

The exterior of the gas tube on this gun had caked on carbon deposits which had to be scraped off with a knife, and it was dry, and all of the internal sliding surfaces were also dry as well and that caused the failures to cycle.

This was on the 3rd day, the gun ran fine for the rest of the day, and after a complete cleaning that night his son came back and ran flawlessly for the entire last day which was close to 250 rounds total.

My whole point here is that these guns need to be cleaned thoroughly, and kept well lubricated in order to function properly. This shouldn't be a big stretch, as most guns need to be cleaned and lubricated properly in order to function properly anyway !!!

Nuff said on M 930 reliability.

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com
Old 10-30-2020, 9:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarhuntor View Post
Useless. 930 original piston works well.
Don't waste your money.
The only thing you need is to drill some holes in the spacer to let it run cleaner.
With this mod you do not need any cleaning for 1000s of rounds.
Excellent reliable gun if you perform certain preventative actions.

Got a link to the procedure?

Please.
Old 10-30-2020, 9:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The birtchwood casey lead removal wipes are awesome at cleaning up the carbon on the 930.

They are $6-$9 at your local shop or amazon.

If you have a 930 or any gun that builds up carbon, I’d pick up a package or two.

If you shoot lead bullets in a handgun, you know how well they work at removing lead after shooting.

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 10-30-2020, 9:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

https://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Cas..._1604078874656
Brand: Birchwood Casey
4.8 out of 5 stars 801 Reviews
Birchwood Casey 31002 Lead Remover and Polishing Cloth, 6-Inch x 9-Inch

They sell wipes for you hands to remove lead. While those are awesome- it’s the yellow lead removal / polishing cloth that I’m recommending for the gas system.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...prod59702.aspx

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)

Last edited by hermosabeach; 10-30-2020 at 9:32 AM..
Old 10-30-2020, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Cas..._1604078874656
Brand: Birchwood Casey
4.8 out of 5 stars 801 Reviews
Birchwood Casey 31002 Lead Remover and Polishing Cloth, 6-Inch x 9-Inch

They sell wipes for you hands to remove lead. While those are awesome- it’s the yellow lead removal / polishing cloth that I’m recommending for the gas system.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...prod59702.aspx

This also removes bluing, so be careful using it on finished surfaces.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

I've had my 930 for a little over three years and keep the spacer lightly lubed and clean the gas ports with a pipe cleaner now and then and my gun runs smooth. I have the "Duck Commander Signature" model field gun. Not a bad shotgun at all. That drilling the spacer is a slick idea tho. Good call.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:09 AM

I've got a 930 JM Pro and have never had any reliability issues with any type of ammo.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Jerry Miculek has an in-depth youtube on cleaning the 930.

The spacer with the holes is an or3gun.com invention, I believe. They have done more 930 work than probably anyone.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Jerry Miculek has an in-depth youtube on cleaning the 930.

The spacer with the holes is an or3gun.com invention, I believe. They have done more 930 work than probably anyone.
Old 10-30-2020, 8:20 PM

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am curious whether anyone replaced the 930 Forearm Retainer (SKU 16772) from the fragile plastic OEM part to
OR3GUN part (http://www.or3gun.com/OR3GUN/about_or3gun_retainer.htm) to make 930 work better. My SPX seems to be more reliable but could not really quantify it.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fell View Post
Has anyone put the SBE gas piston in their 930? Wondering what your thoughts are on their piston, and how it preforms. The 930 is a nice gun, shoots light loads with no problems.
930 is a great shotgun. I've put close to a thousand rounds through mine while training and it's works like a champ. Like any semi-auto shotgun, you need to keep it clean to so it can reliably cycle the action.

I put the OR3Gun Enhanced Field combo on mine (http://www.or3gun.com/OR3GUN/about_or3gun_combo.htm) and after tuning, it will run anything I put though it (including light recoil buckshot).

Great shotgun, you won't go wrong getting one.
Old 11-02-2020, 9:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbert40 View Post
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I am curious whether anyone replaced the 930 Forearm Retainer (SKU 16772) from the fragile plastic OEM part to
OR3GUN part (http://www.or3gun.com/OR3GUN/about_or3gun_retainer.htm) to make 930 work better. My SPX seems to be more reliable but could not really quantify it.
The stock retainer on my Brother's JM Pro broke so I ordered one of the OR3Gun retainers for him and one for mine.
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
Quote:
"We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt
Old 11-02-2020, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
The stock retainer on my Brother's JM Pro broke so I ordered one of the OR3Gun retainers for him and one for mine.
M2! Because my oem plastic retainer broke, I could not really do side by side comparison. Just left with the impression it works better.

Also based on all good feedback on this thread, I ordered competition combo from or3gun.com. I am a firm believer of neutralizing potential issues before happening.
Old 11-20-2020, 6:59 AM
Veteran Member

The one time I had an issues with my 930 was when I changed oil lubricating the gas tube. I went from CLP to Mpro and it turned gummy.

Cleaned it again and no more issues.

Who blew a fuse and got that 0 dollar 930 mod thread deleted?

Last edited by MarikinaMan; 11-20-2020 at 7:11 AM..
Old 11-20-2020, 7:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
If you clean and maintain the gas system properly it just runs and runs. I have a gen 1 spx and it has given me no problems cycling until it gets VERY dirty.

930's run very well with little lube as long as you put it in the correct locations.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 11-20-2020, 8:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
If you clean and maintain the gas system properly it just runs and runs. I have a gen 1 spx and it has given me no problems cycling until it gets VERY dirty.

930's run very well with little lube as long as you put it in the correct locations.
This^^^^^ right here. Simple stuff.
Old 11-27-2020, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post

and where are those loacations ?
Old 11-27-2020, 7:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln45 View Post
and where are those loacations ?
The bolt slide inside the receiver grooves and the gas rings. Contact points will show you where to put oil on the slide itself.

Everything else can be wiped down with an oily rag. Bolt body, gas system pusher assembly and externals. When the gas/mag tube gets too crusty I use a scotch brite pad on it and then hit it with the oily rag.

A needle oiler is what I use if it needs a touch up before I take it out for a run. Most of the time it doesn't need it. I like that.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 11-27-2020, 8:27 PM
Banned

What happened to all the good info in this thread?
Old 11-28-2020, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

There is a good article on the 940JM in the current NRA Magazine which I'm sure all of you get, cuz you're all NRA Members Right? If not, Fix that FIRST!!!

The article talks about all the shortcomings of the 930 all of which revolve around cleaning the gun more often. They claim < every 500 rounds. The JM940 can go 1500 rounds.

Long and the short of it is you really need to clean your guns more frequently, and the 930 is one you just have to be a little more religious about doing.

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com
Old 11-29-2020, 9:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
What happened to all the good info in this thread?
See above ^^
Old 12-09-2020, 8:19 PM
Veteran Member

I have a JM Pro 22" which is also from the 930 family. There are some mods that you want to do before calling it good for a true HD rig.
1) Debur and round off the front of the mag tube follower
2) Be sure the mag tube/extension has no burs or high spots the follower can hang up on.
3) Drill 3/8"-1/2" holes onto the piston transfer tube similar to the OR3GUN or 940 JM Pro transfer tube to prevent cycling issues.
4) Never press the bolt release with the bolt forward because it will cause a double feed from the mag tube and lock up your gun bad, but learn how to clear one should it happen, because it will.
5) Take apart and clean your piston, piston housing and exterior of your mag tube extremely well after every use.
6) Debur the recoil spring ends and reprofile the recoil plunger and debur the inside of the recoil spring tube housing if necessary.

These are known problems on the 930 and will appear at the worst times. Sure. you'll get the answer I put 1 million rounds outta mine and never had a singe problem while never cleaning it while all the people that actually use it hard know of the problems all to well. While I do consider my 930 now HD ready it will not replace my M1 Super 90 Inertia drive for my go to. 930 are great for the money and if you keep it clean and do these simple mods it'll serve its porpoise. Some of these mods can be found on OR3GUN YouTube channel.

Palmetto State Armory Suppliers revealed

"If it ain't stock, it don't belong on your Glock"
Old 12-10-2020, 7:07 AM
Veteran Member

BoarHunters posts/pics are gone. What happened? He was the one talking about drilling holes in the spacer. Hmm.

MLC
Old 12-10-2020, 11:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I have a friend that had a 930 that he tried to use for 3-gun. It constantly had problems despite keeping it clean and lubed. It couldn't make it through a match without disassembling and cleaning the gas piston. He finally gave up on it after about 3,000 rounds and bought a 930 JM Pro. He basically had the same problems with the JM Pro.

He finally threw in the towel on 930's and bought a Beretta 1301 Competition. He's had no problems with it whatsoever.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 12-10-2020, 12:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
I have a friend that had a 930 that he tried to use for 3-gun. It constantly had problems despite keeping it clean and lubed. It couldn't make it through a match without disassembling and cleaning the gas piston. He finally gave up on it after about 3,000 rounds and bought a 930 JM Pro. He basically had the same problems with the JM Pro.

He finally threw in the towel on 930's and bought a Beretta 1301 Competition. He's had no problems with it whatsoever.
Interesting and too bad he hung up on the 930.

I'm no expert/competitor, but I managed to sort out the clean/lube ju ju in short order.

Gas systems are finicky regardless of manufacturer if it's not maintained properly.

My shotgun had initial teething problems that were sorted out by cleaning and proper lubrication. It ain't an easy Rem 1100 O-ring fix.

Dirty burning ammo is nobody's friend either. I only use hi base Fed/Rem factory ammo and haven't reloaded anything for years.
-- Frederick Douglass --

– Frederick Douglass --
Old 12-10-2020, 5:18 PM
Cry Havok!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbert40 View Post
Ive replaced both on mine.
Stock retainer exploded during a match and i got the new piston after i had an issue when it was damp out.
I have had zero problems since i changed them out. I havent shot 3 gun for a while, but if i shoot shotgun i will put at least 250 rounds through it in a session in a combo of cheap bird ( most of the rounds) buck and slugs. I can take pictures if you want.
"Para ser libre, un hombre debe tener tres cosas, la tierra, una educacion y un fusil. Siempre un fusil ! (To be free, a man must have three things; land, an education and a rifle. Always a rifle)" -Emiliano Zapata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Of course they are in free territory where they can pick up ammunition at the local 5 and dime without going through a criminal background check. All we get is legalized pot.
Old 12-10-2020, 5:49 PM
Banned

^^^^ JFYI it is not Цалифорниа, it is Калифорния.
Old 12-10-2020, 5:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith1911 View Post
I've got a 930 JM Pro and have never had any reliability issues with any type of ammo.
How many rounds? What is your maintenance schedule/procedure?
CRPA Member

....."He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

Declaration of Independence, 1776