Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-24-2019, 2:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep120794 View Post
I am the guinea pig. Filled out the online app today and paid the app fee and live scan fee. 8 year Petaluma resident and I previously held a license in El Dorado County from 2005-2009 before I moved to Petaluma. Hopefully there is a new mindset for approvals.
Also let us know when you talk/meet with them, what their attitude is like: encouraging/helpful or discouraging/unhelpful.
Old 03-04-2019, 1:12 PM

Quote:
I am the guinea pig. Filled out the online app today and paid the app fee and live scan fee. 8 year Petaluma resident and I previously held a license in El Dorado County from 2005-2009 before I moved to Petaluma. Hopefully there is a new mindset for approvals.
Have you heard back anything from them? Any updates?
Old 03-04-2019, 5:49 PM

17 days and haven't heard anything back. Application status shows that it has been assigned to a processor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707tothe907 View Post
Have you heard back anything from them? Any updates?
Old 03-05-2019, 8:41 AM

Quote:
17 days and haven't heard anything back. Application status shows that it has been assigned to a processor.
Thanks for the reply. I also had a permit in another county before coming to Sonoma Co. Will be putting an app in in April. Hopefully they’ve upped their game around here. Cheers.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I've been contacted by more than 1 CGNer in the app process and from what they say, Sonoma Co is now, at worst, light green.

Bottom line: if you've got a clean criminal background and have GMC (see link) and you can articulate circumstances in your daily life that could put your life at risk (GC), I'd STRONGLY suggest you apply. So far, the feedback is all positive.

For your education and to help your application, I'd also recommend reviewing my posts in this CoCoCo CCW Advice thread:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1482924

It could change your attitude towards the current application process and maybe even your attitude regarding CCWing.

Last edited by Paladin; 03-08-2019 at 4:51 PM..
Old 03-08-2019, 4:33 PM

What are "circumstances in your daily life that could put your life at risk" that have been accepted?
Old 03-08-2019, 4:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBest View Post
What are "circumstances in your daily life that could put your life at risk" that have been accepted?
Unfortunately, I can't provide that level of detail at this time. I promised those CGNers to wait until after they've received final approval or denial on their apps.

What I can say and recommend is that you go though the linked CoCoCo CCW advice thread and work up your best GC and initiate the process. I purposely wrote it sounds like they're now "at worst, light green" for a reason.

Think of when you are vulnerable in public, and/or when you might be at a higher than normal risk of attack/robbery, etc.

Take it seriously, but do not be afraid. Feedback is they're friendly, encouraging and helpful.

If you are afraid of getting a denial, I assume, but do not know for sure, that if you are facing a denial for lack of GC, you can abandon your application before the background check/Livescan. TheBest, you may want to contact them, ask them if that is the case, and post what they tell you. That would benefit everyone else here too. But if you end up applying, probably best not to post what they say until after you get a final approval or denial since that post will ID you to them.

Last edited by Paladin; 03-08-2019 at 4:56 PM..
Old 03-08-2019, 7:16 PM

I'm an avid photographer and often carry thousands of dollars of equipment. And in light of the recent photography crew robbery, would that be considered enough GC for a light green area? What's your opinion?
Old 03-08-2019, 7:41 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

I think it would be worth putting on the application, yes.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Exclamation first ever Sheriff's Office Town Hall!!! Ask about CCWs!

Don't waste this opportunity, Sonoma Co CGNers.

Quote:

APR25
Sheriff's Office Town Hall #1
Public · Hosted by Sonoma Sheriff

Thursday, April 25, 2019 at 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM

Petaluma Community Center
320 N McDowell Blvd, Petaluma, California 94954

Join us at our first ever Sheriff's Office Town Hall!! This is not your typical town hall with a panel of speakers. This is a casual, interactive event that feels like an open house. There’s no agenda or program, so you can stop by and leave whenever you'd like. We’ll have lots of Sheriff’s Office members to meet you and answer your questions.

This is the first of several town halls we’re planning throughout the county over the next two years, including one Spanish-language town hall.
More at: https://www.facebook.com/events/502150243651265/
Old 03-25-2019, 8:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBest View Post
I'm an avid photographer and often carry thousands of dollars of equipment. And in light of the recent photography crew robbery, would that be considered enough GC for a light green area? What's your opinion?
If that was my GC, I'd GO FOR IT!!!

I would read closely ALL that I have posted in my CoCoCo Advice thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1482924). But remember, that was made with CoCoCo SO in mind, and they're currently "yellow" on the map. Sonoma Co appears to be "light green" at worst, so they won't be as hardnosed as CoCoCo. Don't forget to provide evidence to prove that what situations/conditions you claim as GC for getting a CCW actually exist.

Like I've (and San Diego Co Gun Owners) said before: denials for insufficient GC will NOT hurt you in the future. But, if you don't want to risk even that, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd let you know ahead of time whether your GC will fly or not, and if not, let you abandon your app prior to an official GC determination. Just contact them to find out.

Quote:
The administrative cost for a New Concealed Carry Weapon Standard license is $227.00. An applicant will pay a non-refundable $45.40 application fee plus a $113.25 LiveScan fee, and if approved, be asked to pay an additional $181.60 prior to receiving their Concealed Carry Weapon license.

Last edited by Paladin; 03-27-2019 at 9:44 PM..
Old 03-25-2019, 9:41 PM

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll apply when I'm finally done renovating my new place! House stuff is expensive :/.
Old 03-27-2019, 8:34 AM

So for anyone who has applied recently, did they require the 3 letters for character? I feel kind of weird asking people for a letter for this. Dont know why, I just do.
Old 03-27-2019, 6:22 PM

Supposedly the sheriff issued 36 CCWs in the last month
Old 03-27-2019, 7:56 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Beenawhile, I'll write you one. And I know a couple other folks we both know with good standing that would as well.

TheBest, my offer I've put out several times to help folks with the financial part of it stands. Get your application filled out and turned in and I'll put some money in to help, and some ammo towards your qualification and training class. Not all the money, but I'll kick in enough to cover a dinner.
Old 03-27-2019, 9:03 PM

Thanks, it's not the $$, it's just the time I have to spend doing my renovation. We're putting cabinets up now so it'll be done soon.
Old 03-27-2019, 9:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy93 View Post
Supposedly the sheriff issued 36 CCWs in the last month

I'm so sure that, any minute now, the streets will be running red with blood from Wild West high noon shootouts over parking spaces and fender-benders....

Glad to hear the new sheriff, Essick, hasn't swallowed the anti Kool Aid.
Old 03-28-2019, 5:57 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

The best, got it. Congrats in house and remodel, when's the housewarming shindig? 😁
Old 03-28-2019, 9:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

What CGNers in Sonoma Co have got to do, after they've applied themselves, is make sure EVERY local gun shop, shooting club (esp IDPA and USPSA/IPSC), and shooting range in and just over the borders of Sonoma Co knows that Sheriff Essick is issuing CCWs much more readily than his predecessor. It will take some time for Sonoma Co SO's reputation to change from anti to pro, so actively getting the word out is important. The sooner that happens, the sooner more people start to carry, the sooner more BGs hear and change from violent personal attacks to property crimes.
Old 03-28-2019, 9:29 PM

This is great to hear. I'll give it a go for sure.
Old 04-05-2019, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenawhile View Post
So for anyone who has applied recently, did they require the 3 letters for character? I feel kind of weird asking people for a letter for this. Dont know why, I just do.

Yes, they require three letters of reference as of January 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2019, 8:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock-23 View Post
Yes, they require three letters of reference as of January 2019.

Did you personally apply in January? If so, 1)please update the progress, and 2)what did your GC look like?

It would be really valuable for those who have begun the process under Essick to provide updates and any information (e.g GC info.) they can offer.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:28 PM

Default Moving to Sonoma County

Hi all,

I live in Solano county at the moment and have my CCW issued by the Sheriff there.

Unfortunately, it is likely that I will be moving to Sonoma county later this year. I am originally from the Sonoma County area and I also currently work there.

My Solano CCW renewal is mid June this year, so I will likely not waste time doing that before I move, but after reading through and keeping an eye on this thread for quite a while now, it is not clear to me that I would have a reasonable chance of obtaining my CCW in Sonoma County?

Some background:

I am squeaky clean. No tickets, no arrests, no credit problems, nothing.

I think I have a pretty solid good cause, as I frequently, but irregularly have to carry large sums of cash. This cash cannot be picked up by an armored car service as it is completely unpredictable when cash will come in, and the premises are not secure enough to leave it. In fact, when it does come in, it is often near the end of the day, so there would be no time to arrange for a pickup in any case.

Our bank branch was also held up last year, just minutes before I arrived that day.

Any insight as to how the CCW process is going this year?

Thanks
Old 04-09-2019, 8:05 PM

Sounds like you have GC, but you may have a restriction like "at work" or "for work purposes". Add something that involves non-work?
Old 04-25-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estrom View Post
Did you personally apply in January? If so, 1)please update the progress, and 2)what did your GC look like?

It would be really valuable for those who have begun the process under Essick to provide updates and any information (e.g GC info.) they can offer.

Yes, I applied in late January and was issued in late March. Good cause was more than SD, but not extreme. I did have prior permits from other CA counties and have been carrying for many years with zero issues.

The Sheriff’s staff was incredibly supportive, helpful, and responsive. Training course and qualification in the rain with Showket was solid and reliable.

As Paladin has written many times: Apply now for a Sonoma permit if your record is clean.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:59 AM
:)
CGN Contributor

Are the people who are applying and receiving permits located in the unincorporated areas of SoCo? I’m in The Santa Rosa city limits and last time I applied (during the Peruta days) my application was sent back and I was told to apply to the SRPD because I was in the city limits.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc357 View Post
Are the people who are applying and receiving permits located in the unincorporated areas of SoCo? I’m in The Santa Rosa city limits and last time I applied (during the Peruta days) my application was sent back and I was told to apply to the SRPD because I was in the city limits.
I read Essick is issuing to all city residents as well as county residents. Not sure if that was earlier in this thread or via PM. Just give them a quick call, or email, or PM via Facebook.
Old 04-25-2019, 1:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

FWIW a CGNer contacted me via PM and shared info which supports Sonoma Co SO issuing according to a "light green" standard.

They also heard of another applicant who, when they used only SD = GC (the "darker half" of dark green), was told they were preliminarily approved but asked to provide more info. (FWIW the "lighter half" of dark green is where you describe where/how in your normal life (at an ATM at night vs hiking in wilderness, etc) you could be vulnerable and how you would respond to various speculative threats/attacks.)

3 character reference letters for GMC are still required.

Last edited by Paladin; 04-26-2019 at 4:03 PM..
Old 04-26-2019, 8:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I was informed of yet another person getting issued using a "light green" GC and they live in a city with its own PD.
Old 04-26-2019, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I was informed of yet another person getting issued using a "light green" GC and they live in a city with its own PD.
So a "light green" good cause is SD plus another cause ?
Old 04-26-2019, 9:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenawhile View Post
So a "light green" good cause is SD plus another cause ?
Typical light green type GCs are a hobby that has some associated risk of attack (hiking in wilderness with spotty/no cell coverage and/or long LE response times) or that makes you a target (amateur videographer with high end ($$$) equipment) and proof/evidence of such (photos of you hiking in said wilderness, receipts for your equipment, etc.) This is where "avid shooter" who regularly takes several semi auto handguns, rifles and/or shotguns with hundreds of rounds for each to and from a range usually every month (plus proof), works for most of us.

As mentioned above, a GC describing your normal, non-business related activities and where you may be vulnerable to attack (e.g., withdrawing cash at ATMs at night, walking your dog alone at night, walking alone from work, etc), would pass in the "light side" of dark green. The "dark side" of dark green only requires "self-defense" or "personal protection" as GC.

Don't forget we're still learning about what Essick requires. We haven't explored the limits, the minimal that may pass. Since the map has Sonoma Co currently at light green and says it may be off by 1 color, that means if you only have SD = GC (i.e., would only pass in a dark green county), even you should try applying (if you can afford to waste the time, money and effort involved) because you may have a chance. ETA: But I can't figure out why anyone would only put SD = GC when they could say "Getting cash at ATMs and filling my gas tank at night. Here's my receipts showing times of day."

If you do apply, make a post or PM me to let us know how it went (but without so much detail as to ID yourself), and so we can keep the map current and useful.

ETA2: I'd recommend to anyone thinking of applying with any non-dark green county to at least read over once the first 3 posts of my CCW Advice thread at: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1482924 It's probably overkill for Sonoma Co, but couldn't hurt.

Last edited by Paladin; 04-26-2019 at 9:49 AM..
Old 04-26-2019, 12:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

When I lived in Sonoma County (Petaluma) I seldom felt threatened. Which always seems to be the case - easy CCW where you don't need it. But I worked in San Rafael, where I can't say I felt safe all the time at all. Would something like that help?
Old 04-26-2019, 1:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
When I lived in Sonoma County (Petaluma) I seldom felt threatened. Which always seems to be the case - easy CCW where you don't need it. But I worked in San Rafael, where I can't say I felt safe all the time at all. Would something like that help?
From what I'm hearing, I'd say if that was your current situation, you'd likely get issued by Essick, so apply and try and let us know. I suggest also including news articles re. incidents in San Rafael/Marin Co. and state DOJ/fed DOJ/FBI stats re. crime it's crime rate as evidence/proof of GC.

Last edited by Paladin; 04-26-2019 at 4:02 PM..
Old 04-26-2019, 3:33 PM

Quote:
FWIW a CGNer contacted me via PM and shared info which supports Sonoma Co SO issuing according to a "light green" standard.

They also heard of another applicant who, when they used only SD = GC (the "darker half" of dark green), was told they were preliminarily approved but asked to provide more info. (FWIW the "lighter half" of dark green is where you describe where/how in your normal life (at an ATM vs hiking in wilderness, etc) you could be vulnerable and how you would respond to various speculative threats/attacks.)

3 character reference letters for GMC are still required.

Yes, I can confirm that Sheriff Essick is issuing to Saint Rosa City residents.

Old 04-26-2019, 4:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Yes, I can confirm that Sheriff Essick is issuing to Saint Rosa City residents.
Hopefully, this puts "the nail in the coffin" for people who live in Sonoma Co cities with their own PDs and aren't sure about applying.

Unless you already shared with me privately, care to give us an idea of what your GC was like?
Old 04-26-2019, 4:46 PM

Yes, already shared with you. JSU sent you a PM.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Yes, already shared with you. JSU sent you a PM.
Ha! This shows people their personal info is secure with me. I delete PMs within a few days and can't keep track of all the people who PM me, so even under torture I won't be able to say who said what.
Old 04-29-2019, 9:26 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I read Essick is issuing to all city residents as well as county residents.
Yes, I was told that by one of the SO Lt's in an email.
Old 05-16-2019, 7:08 AM

We’ve got confirmation that preliminary approval is being issued for statements of good cause that somewhere above “self defense” and below “heightened good cause”

Examples of, carrying high value products or large amounts of cash have been sufficient.

Apply apply apply
Old 05-16-2019, 11:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy93 View Post
We’ve got confirmation that preliminary approval is being issued for statements of good cause that somewhere above “self defense” and below “heightened good cause”

Examples of, carrying high value products or large amounts of cash have been sufficient.

Apply apply apply
What we need are people who are NOT business owners, who do NOT make large cash deposits, who do NOT carry valuable equipment to apply. These people may be those business owners' spouses or employees, but their best GC would be "avid shooter" who regularly takes several semi auto firearms and hundreds of rounds of ammo to and from the range and/or regularly goes hiking/biking/backpacking in remote wilderness areas with no or spotty cell coverage and long LE response times.

If they get issued, that means Sonoma Co is in the "light side" of dark green since virtually all CGNers in Sonoma Co should qualify, making it "virtual Shall Issue."

Last edited by Paladin; 05-20-2019 at 12:05 PM..