Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 06-06-2022, 5:55 PM

Default I'm gonna use a hot glue gun to glue fake plants to a trail Cam.

This is to conceal it from humans aka "perps" when doing security so I'm needing to conceal it beyond disinterested deer.

Also considering truly urban camo like a piece of trash like a mangled road cone or laundry detergent jug.

Any done this or any tips?

Posted in prep because not about hunting, but tactical.
Old 06-06-2022, 6:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

hot glue gets soft when it gets hot or sun beats on something

if you can find an old rotten peice of bark you can wire it on
Old 06-06-2022, 7:45 PM
Veteran Member

With vagrants watching everywhere so closely, it will be hard install the camera without them noting it. They also collect what most would call trash, so something you might think is camo a vagrant might think is a jewel.

My suggestion would be to install the camera in a window or on a roof, more or less out of reach. If that is not possible, observe things laying about in the proposed area of the hide and collect it during the hide and affix it using netting. The netting can be attached by wrapping...hot glue not needed.

Send pics of an install...it will be interesting to see what you come up with.
Old 06-06-2022, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
With vagrants watching everywhere so closely, it will be hard install the camera without them noting it. They also collect what most would call trash, so something you might think is camo a vagrant might think is a jewel.
I think I could install secretly. Prob is bums all collect cans and will at least kick stuff like McDs bags. Funny, I did work with some guys and we'd have a few beers with our McDs lunch and we'd always stash the cans in the bag, because.

I'm not hunting bums but actual perps, but who knows what a bum would do with trail cam.

I think it would be OK if the Hot Glue gets a bit soft in the sun since the fake plant layer should provide self shade. But maybe some string will help secure fake twigs.

For hiding in plain sight in middle of parking lot or under a car etc I'm thinking a nasty crunched up gut split jug of some sort, that looks 1/2 run over and some fake dirt high gloss brown to look like used motor oil.
Old 06-07-2022, 5:51 AM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Then there are the types like some conscientious shooters than will pick up more trash than they produce... or those that simply don't like to see plastic litter.

I like bohoki's suggestion of using local flora.

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked
Old 06-12-2022, 6:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Urban camouflage can also be done under the guise of a utility box of sorts.

Camouflage in the outdoors is much harder as natural elements tend to weather.

Keep in mind any tech can be identified and circumvented, often with simple everyday items.
Old 06-13-2022, 7:15 AM

I run a bunch of cell phone game cameras. All my cameras are mounted at least 10 feet tall or higher.

Make sure you don't have leafy branches in front of them as the slightest breeze activates them.

No such thing as a good cheap camera, you get what you pay for.

Mine have a solar charger battery with a internal battery with backup AA batteries. I never have to change batteries.

We make all our own tree mounts, runs about 2 bucks a mount. Youtube is your friend.
Old 06-13-2022, 7:35 AM
Git-R-Done
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
I run a bunch of cell phone game cameras. All my cameras are mounted at least 10 feet tall or higher.

Make sure you don't have leafy branches in front of them as the slightest breeze activates them.

Mine have a solar charger battery with a internal battery with backup AA batteries. I never have to change batteries.

We make all our own tree mounts, runs about 2 bucks a mount. Youtube is your friend.
Link to cell phone game cameras you use/recommend?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassCase View Post
I only buy fireworks from Three Finger Willie over at One Eyed Jack's Fireworks.
iTrader

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1884858
Old 06-13-2022, 8:36 AM
Veteran Member

Uh. Ok?
Old 06-13-2022, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M76 View Post
Link to cell phone game cameras you use/recommend?
Spypoint Link-S-Dark

Make sure you don't skimp on SD cards and make sure you format them correctly. I have my cameras send pictures twice a day. You can have them sent instantly but if it a real busy camera it can run the battery down.

Camera must be located in a area with good cell signal.
Old 06-13-2022, 2:20 PM
Calguns Addict

The really cheap artificial plants and cheap plant leaves for decoration will have their colors fade if they are in direct sunlight for too long. Then you'll have these bleached out leaves which I guess might be better than nothing.

Personally I would use the technique used by Ghillie suit makers, with lots of different colored twine / thin strips of cloth tied to a net and then you could just take it off and on the camera as needed. that also keeps your cameras free from having a hot glue bedazzling.

As mentioned above you should put them up as high as you possibly can and if you're going high enough you could also go with the disguise of a straw and twig bird's nest.
You could get the material from that at any craft store but I think there's a possibility you might capture squirrels and other animals trying to get into your homemade bird's nest.
Old 06-22-2022, 10:08 PM

Around here rocks are plentiful and attract the least attention.
Old 06-23-2022, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post

I'd like to be able to place them on the ground among scruffy urban landscaping to monitor perps while doing Security, so I'd like to mimic a scruffy small clump of weed at a fence or wall or pole, etc.
Got this one and its cheap and seems fine but haven't done extensive testing.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reason I want cheap is I'll be risking them getting discovered and stolen. 10ft up in a tree without a ladder might work by tossing a line and hoisting it up and secure, then a knot release line which I'd toss up in the branches then retrieve down with a stick, but seems like it would be tricky to get it pointing in right direction using only cords from the ground. Maybe a Positioning Stick and cords.

Rocks are heavy but I might make my own fake rocks with foam and spray paint. I'm thinking I'd first wrap the Cam in plastic, apply spray foam, then when foam still wet create vision holes for cam, let foam harden THEN cut plastic away from lenses and cut "rock" in half in semi jagged fashion to access Cam clamshell.

Main issue is it needs to be hidden to semi-hostile subjects at fairly close range in urban setting.