Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 12-15-2018, 6:34 PM
Veteran Member

Lot of rediculus dribble in here.

"Fake a reason to not drive away"

"Cant take a holster off/putting it in safe without drawing attention "

Lots of paranoia or uncoordinated people carrying

Has anyone ever got a notebook out of their briefcase? All sorts of reasons to fiddle around in a car.

Someone waiting for your spot....um....hello " hey..im not leaving "...person drives away.
Old 12-18-2018, 6:48 PM

Default This all was a lot of help

This all was a lot of help! Thank you everyone, I literally just picked up my permit today (yay for getting approved!) so I was just curious what everyone else did while driving. I am trying appendix carry now and it seems to be okay at the moment but I am interested in trying other carry solutions 4:30 - 5:00 etc. Obviously I need to get a holster that is good for those positions because at the moment the holsters I have I feel like it prints to much? (right now carrying a shield) or I am just being paranoid because I am new? Not sure!

Thanks though everyone for your opinions!
Old 12-18-2018, 7:19 PM
Veteran Member

I have no idea how anyone carries appendix. Im no lardazz but 5"11 185lbs ..it doesnt work

I use 3-4:30 carry on most pistols i carry g19/Lc9/airweight s&W
Old 12-18-2018, 7:20 PM
Veteran Member

Most likely you are paranoid about printing
Old 12-18-2018, 7:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerB View Post
I have no idea how anyone carries appendix. Im no lardazz but 5"11 185lbs ..it doesnt work
I can do it fine, as long as I never sit.
Old 12-18-2018, 7:34 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerB View Post

I use 3-4:30 carry on most pistols i carry g19/Lc9/airweight s&W
Pull your pants up ya hood-rat!

Ya... I'm fat and can't wear my pants at my natural waist without suspenders.
I do carry at 2:30... if I let my pants sag too much, it'll jam into my thigh.

Grandpa carries AIWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 12-18-2018, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
I can do it fine, as long as I never sit.
Ever tried just pulling your pants up a bit before sitting down? Genuine question. Not trying to be a smart ***. I carry appendix daily and have found that sitting with it can be uncomfortable, but if you just pull up the front of your pants at the waist a little bit right before sitting helps it a lot. This can be done very discreetly as well.
Old 12-18-2018, 8:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascebba17 View Post
This all was a lot of help! Thank you everyone, I literally just picked up my permit today (yay for getting approved!) so I was just curious what everyone else did while driving. I am trying appendix carry now and it seems to be okay at the moment but I am interested in trying other carry solutions 4:30 - 5:00 etc. Obviously I need to get a holster that is good for those positions because at the moment the holsters I have I feel like it prints to much? (right now carrying a shield) or I am just being paranoid because I am new? Not sure!

You are, like most of us were, a little paranoid because you are new to carrying. As others have said, after time you will stop constantly thinking about the fact that you are armed and somebody might notice.

I carry a pistol larger than a shield and have no concerns about it printing. First, unless you carry or are a bad person trying to determine who is armed, you are not looking to see if anyone else is carrying. This is 99% of the population. So even if it prints a little, few, if any, would recognize it as a firearm. They are simply not looking for firearms so they won't see them unless they are blatantly and obviously apparent or you are doing something that might cause them to examine you more carefully. I have had only two persons, both personal friends, ask if I was was carrying. This was in a grocery store. It was not because my pistol was printing (I asked) but because they know that I always carry. So, they assumed that I was carrying. You will know when your wife, if you have one, asks you, as you are going out together: "You do have your gun, don't you?" So you need to find a rig that is comfortable so you are not constantly trying to adjust it.

Welcome to the armed and polite society And may you never have to draw your weapon to defend yourself, a loved one or another person.

Last edited by BAJ475; 12-18-2018 at 8:26 PM..
Old 12-18-2018, 8:37 PM
Señor Member

Baj475 hit the nail on the head.
It might be 3 months, it might be 3 years, but eventually it will become 2nd nature and you won't even think about it, even though you can feel and will be aware of the gun being in your belt.
THAT is when you have to be careful and remember to disarm where you can not carry, such as the post office of a school.

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 12-18-2018, 9:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Baj475 hit the nail on the head.
It might be 3 months, it might be 3 years, but eventually it will become 2nd nature and you won't even think about it, even though you can feel and will be aware of the gun being in your belt.
THAT is when you have to be careful and remember to disarm where you can not carry, such as the post office of a school.
Yes, I should have added the caution to remember that one cannot legally carry in a federal facility, such as a Post Office or Social Security Office. Thanks for adding this point.
Old 12-18-2018, 9:16 PM
Veteran Member

True, I do not have my pants at or above my belly button. I also do sit on occasion so appendix doesn't work for me. I have seen the videos with former SEAL/Spec Ops guys who carry a g19 that way. Maybe I just have it wrong.
Old 12-19-2018, 9:43 AM

Yeah, I likely just need to get used to it since I am new to carrying which is exactly what I thought would happen. I will still need to get a holster to carry at that position but right now appendix appears to be okay. I am only 48 hours in so I don't want to jump to conclusions to quickly yet. Trying other positions though is high on my list.

Thank you Everyone!
Old 12-19-2018, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ475 View Post
Why are they not on both permits?
i have my own guns that I wanted on mine and don't like his guns that he has on his. well... actually we do share one gun (his EMP) on our permits because mine was at springfield at the time since it's unreliable, but neither of us carry it... it's on there as a back up/as a third gun in case something goes wrong with the other guns.

I contemplated putting his shield rather than the EMP on my permit but I just don't like it. (or my G19 but I'm not really a fan of that one either and it's fat so hard for me to hide... i have a hard enough time concealing my p-01 and she's a tad bit thinner and curvier than the g19) when he renews he'll be changing 2 of his guns so we'd be different again anyways even if we had all the same guns.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:12 AM

always on me...
Old 12-19-2018, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

OP, after a couple years of having my CCW I always carry. When I wake up in the morning and get dressed the holster goes on and doesn't come off until I go to bed at night. Driving, working in the yard, it does not matter you will get used to it, so much so that you (I) might forget to take it off going into certain places. Just make sure you find a comfortable rig and eventually you will forget it is there. Most of us have a drawer full of holsters that have been tried before settling on something.

My daughter was visiting for Thanksgiving and while hanging out on the couch watching a movie she asks "Dad, why are you carrying gun? You're at home watching a movie, what's up with that?" My response was, "It comes with the pants. Should I take it off?"
Old 12-19-2018, 6:38 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshill View Post
Just make sure you find a comfortable rig and eventually you will forget it is there. Most of us have a drawer full of holsters that have been tried before settling on something.
I'm not sure if I have more holsters or CPAP masks.
Quote:
My daughter was visiting for Thanksgiving and while hanging out on the couch watching a movie she asks "Dad, why are you carrying gun? You're at home watching a movie, what's up with that?" My response was, "It comes with the pants. Should I take it off?"
1 - Easier to wear it 16/7 than to go upstairs to retrieve it every time I head out.
2 - Sitting on the couch watching a movie is when I am most likely to be the (potential) victim of a home invasion.

Quote:
Old 12-19-2018, 7:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm not sure if I have more holsters or CPAP masks.
I know what you mean. I'm pretty sure my wife has more "scuba" masks than I have holsters by a factor of two.
Old 12-19-2018, 7:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_toaster View Post
i have my own guns that I wanted on mine and don't like his guns that he has on his. well... actually we do share one gun (his EMP) on our permits because mine was at springfield at the time since it's unreliable, but neither of us carry it... it's on there as a back up/as a third gun in case something goes wrong with the other guns.

I contemplated putting his shield rather than the EMP on my permit but I just don't like it. (or my G19 but I'm not really a fan of that one either and it's fat so hard for me to hide... i have a hard enough time concealing my p-01 and she's a tad bit thinner and curvier than the g19) when he renews he'll be changing 2 of his guns so we'd be different again anyways even if we had all the same guns.
OK, sounds like both of you might be maxed out on the number of guns on your permits. That explains it.
Old 12-19-2018, 8:07 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
OK, sounds like both of you might be maxed out on the number of guns on your permits. That explains it.
Yep... we only get 3 in our county.
P380, Shield, G30SF

Quote:
Old 12-21-2018, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascebba17 View Post

Congrats, I just picked mine up as well and I also have a shield, so we're in the same boat. If I can make a suggestion, the bellyband has been very comfortable for me while driving and I have virtually no printing with appendix carry. The great thing about the bellyband is that you can orient it to any position you want.

EDIT: I was having printing issues with my belt buckle, looked like a weird bulge at my waistband. Once I got a pair of good fitting jeans and ditched the belt, I can't even tell I'm carrying.

Last edited by flustercuck; 12-21-2018 at 5:46 AM..
Old 12-21-2018, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flustercuck View Post
Congrats, I just picked mine up as well and I also have a shield, so we're in the same boat. If I can make a suggestion, the bellyband has been very comfortable for me while driving and I have virtually no printing with appendix carry. The great thing about the bellyband is that you can orient it to any position you want.

EDIT: I was having printing issues with my belt buckle, looked like a weird bulge at my waistband. Once I got a pair of good fitting jeans and ditched the belt, I can't even tell I'm carrying.
my only issue with the belly band, it the gun kinda leans forward some, which it doesn't do when I wear the tier 1 and belt. (I just got a second tier 1 and put ulticlips on it for wearing shorts/jeans without a belt but haven't been able to wear it yet because I made the huge mistake of getting the multicam material version and OMG does it STINK! so i'm letting it sit in the garage to off gas! UGH!)

also, I assume you have your belt buckle to the side and not right it front? I wear appendix, and my belt buckle is to my left.
Old 12-21-2018, 7:16 AM

Quote:

yep! only 3 allowed.... it would be nice if they had a way of allowing spouses that both have ccw to have the cross licensing above the 3 allowed. but they are over-worked enough without adding even more paperwork to their job....
Old 12-21-2018, 7:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_toaster View Post
my only issue with the belly band, it the gun kinda leans forward some, which it doesn't do when I wear the tier 1 and belt. (I just got a second tier 1 and put ulticlips on it for wearing shorts/jeans without a belt but haven't been able to wear it yet because I made the huge mistake of getting the multicam material version and OMG does it STINK! so i'm letting it sit in the garage to off gas! UGH!)

also, I assume you have your belt buckle to the side and not right it front? I wear appendix, and my belt buckle is to my left.
Yeah, I was having the lean-forward issue when my pants were too loose, ie if worn without a belt. The buckle to the side was a good solution for the buckle-bulge but the best concealment that I've found is with no belt and proper fitting jeans/pants even with light colored t-shirts
Old 12-21-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
You will know when your wife, if you have one, asks you, as you are going out together: "You do have your gun, don't you?" So you need to find a rig that is comfortable so you are not constantly trying to adjust it.
I wore/carried for 2 weeks around the home and empty holstered in town before mentioning it to my wife. When i first mentioned I wanted a CCW, she goes "I just don't want me or anyone to see it". I respond "well I've had it on for 2 weeks and you didn't notice, so...".

That included rolling around on the ground with our young children. My wife is a good representation of the common population. Generally oblivious

Those who will notice your gun wont care, and those who would care, won't notice.
Old 12-21-2018, 5:28 PM

So if I'm understanding thos correctly, something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...55ARQP49&psc=1

Would be legal if something was over it concealing it. Simply using your body to conceal it would not work. Correct?

I carry at the 4 position, but I'm a large guy and it tends to sit underneath the seat belt making it tough to draw if needed. That is why I am wondering. Thanks for any clarification you all can provide.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:02 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by splaturn View Post
I always keep my g26 on my person, appendix carry. No exceptions.
Likewise
Old 12-22-2018, 1:45 PM

As far as I know, you can't legally carry onto the U.S. Post Office parking lot either. So driving into the parking lot with a firearm in your car is taboo. If you want to do business at the post office, you must park off post office property and leave it in the car. It's a royal pain. The chances of being caught are next to zero, but if you were it would be trouble. If anyone else knows otherwise, please clarify.
Old 12-22-2018, 9:32 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG22 View Post
As far as I know, you can't legally carry onto the U.S. Post Office parking lot either. So driving into the parking lot with a firearm in your car is taboo. If you want to do business at the post office, you must park off post office property and leave it in the car. It's a royal pain. The chances of being caught are next to zero, but if you were it would be trouble. If anyone else knows otherwise, please clarify.
You are correct.
Normally, Federal limitations are a federally owned building occupied by a Federal employee, but in the case of the post office, handguns are prohibited anywhere on the property.

Quote:
Old 01-03-2019, 1:50 PM

I am right handed and carry on my left side. I have retrained myself to shoot left handed. There is more space in a vehicle between your waist and the door than there is on your right side, where you also have to connect your seat belt.
Old 01-03-2019, 8:32 PM
Veteran Member

I leave my G26 holstered IWB @4 o’clock.....it’s comfortable in general.

I always want it in the same place....and I also do not like reholstering in my truck.

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

“Criminals, tyrants and terrorists don’t do background checks.” — Judge Roger Benitez, 4/23/2020
Old 01-03-2019, 8:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoc2002 View Post
I am right handed and carry on my left side. I have retrained myself to shoot left handed. There is more space in a vehicle between your waist and the door than there is on your right side, where you also have to connect your seat belt.

With this, though, the gun is also much closer to any window attacker or open-car-door carjacker...I don’t like that

If you pull it left-handed, you almost can’t shoot unless you point the firearm physically out the window.

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

“Criminals, tyrants and terrorists don’t do background checks.” — Judge Roger Benitez, 4/23/2020
Old 01-11-2019, 10:56 AM

Well me? Its a secret!
Old 01-11-2019, 2:39 PM

I take mine off and into the center console it goes. Ever try drawing your gun from under the seatbelt? Not a good thing. All that "in my absolute control stuff" is taken way too far. Sure others are in the car with me. People I know, and they know I carry. Others don't get to ride. Some carry this way too far and over think the simple things. I just like my comfort. Chances are, if I'm in a car and something happens, I'm making every effort to ignore or drive away. I don't want to consider drawing and firing from a driver's seat. I haven't practiced that one yet.
Old 02-09-2019, 5:25 AM

You are soo correct. All im reading in here is paranoia. How anal is it to think the whole world is watching you when you park your car. Really, I could give two sh ts. When im driving for periods at a time, that thing is in the center console between the seats. Takes me seconds to reholster before I leave my vehicle. If your that uncoordinated, get back on the short bus with ur helmet. 4-4:30 carry in ur car, gimme a break, right wear the seatbelt is. LMAO
Old 02-10-2019, 10:33 PM

I always remove the gun (in holster) and place it under my car seat. Sometimes it sits on my passenger seat. Never had an issue, ever. Now one knows you are carrying.
Old 02-11-2019, 9:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
I don't do anything different when I'm driving, gun stays in the holster where it normally sit's. Did two six hour drives this last week up to Oregon and back, with my G19 at 4-4:30.
That sounds torturous.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Pull your pants up ya hood-rat!

Ya... I'm fat and can't wear my pants at my natural waist without suspenders.
I do carry at 2:30... if I let my pants sag too much, it'll jam into my thigh.

Grandpa carries AIWB
Then lose some weight. The benefits of doing so will go far beyond how you carry!

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!
Old 02-11-2019, 2:47 PM
Calguns Addict

It seems to me that taking the gun off and setting it down somewhere in the car is a bad idea. If you were in a crash, you have another heavy piece of metal going airborne in your car and lord knows where it will stop.
Old 02-12-2019, 8:19 AM
Calguns Addict

AIWB

For driving I just pull it to the left side butt forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2019, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshill View Post
OP, after a couple years of having my CCW I always carry. When I wake up in the morning and get dressed the holster goes on and doesn't come off until I go to bed at night. Driving, working in the yard, it does not matter you will get used to it, so much so that you (I) might forget to take it off going into certain places. Just make sure you find a comfortable rig and eventually you will forget it is there. Most of us have a drawer full of holsters that have been tried before settling on something.

I'll second all of that. I carry a Kimber Ultra CDP II in a Crossbreed Holster about 4:30, pretty much feel naked without it. Goes on in the morning for my morning run, goes on my jeans for work after the run, goes off into the nightstand before bedtime. No fiddling, no removing (except for GFZ) just an extension of your hands.