Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 09-07-2018, 7:04 AM

Arrow interstate intrafamilial handgun transfer

this may be a noob question but I dont know the facts. I want to buy a off roster Glock 42 from a seller in LA but I live in the Bay Area. are transfer legal if shipped to my local FFL?
Old 09-07-2018, 7:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaaka View Post
this may be a noob question but I dont know the facts. I want to buy a off roster Glock 42 from a seller in LA but I live in the Bay Area. are transfer legal if shipped to my local FFL?
No, can't be shipped, has to be transferred as a CA PPT, unless it is you parent/child/grandparent/grandchild.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 09-07-2018, 7:54 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
No, can't be shipped, has to be transferred as a CA PPT, unless it is you parent/child/grandparent/grandchild.
Just to build on what Kemasa means, PPT is a face to face transfer between two, private party, California residents with CA ID/DL

Our Fullerton store is Open!
714.242.5400 - Info@ShootSoCal.com
10-6 Monday- Saturday, No Appointment needed.
1139 S Placentia Ave Fullerton CA 92831

Glock Optic Cuts Glock, M&P, Shield, CZ and 1911 Starting $125

FFL TRANSFER $50 / Ammo $25

We are hiring GUNSMITH position

Factory Trained and Certified CERAKOTE Applicator.

View our Online Gun Store here!
Old 09-07-2018, 7:59 AM

ok with that said. can my dad in Colorado just send his off roster weapon to my ffl and what takes place in that matter or does he have to be here as well with a ca id
Old 09-07-2018, 8:21 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
ok with that said. can my dad in Colorado just send his off roster weapon to my ffl and what takes place in that matter or does he have to be here as well with a ca id
That's an 'interstate intrafamilial transfer'. See the sticky - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1058641

Short answer, yes CO-dad may transfer off-Roster to CA-son, in person (no CA id needed from him) or shipped to CA FFL.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 09-11-2018, 6:35 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Given that you just said that you want to BUY one, and when told "no", you change to getting one from Dad, I'm gonna' go with "no" simply because the intrafamilial transfer must be a gift. You can not legally send the money to anyone to buy a gun for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 09-11-2018, 6:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
I'm gonna' go with "no" simply because the intrafamilial transfer must be a gift. You can not legally send the money to anyone to buy a gun for you.
Where does it say that an intra-familial transfer has to be a gift?

There are two different issues in regards to giving someone money to buy a gun for you. The first is if they fill out a 4473 as they wouldn't be the actual buyer. That can be avoided in a private sale in a free state. The second would be that they would be acting as an unlicensed gun dealer and you can't around that.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein

Last edited by kemasa; 09-11-2018 at 6:52 PM..
Old 07-13-2020, 1:58 PM

Default gift handgun to Nevada grandson

I never thought I would have to ask; consider myself lucky, one of my offspring likes shooting sport.
Well he lives in NV and I am in CA.
He comes by every month and shoots with me.
Can I gift it to him and have him do the Nics in NV?

much obliged,

Max
Old 07-13-2020, 2:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxit View Post
I never thought I would have to ask; consider myself lucky, one of my offspring likes shooting sport.
Well he lives in NV and I am in CA.
He comes by every month and shoots with me.
Can I gift it to him and have him do the Nics in NV?

much obliged,

Max
You can gift it to him but, under federal law, it must be transferred to him through a NV FFL. You can either take the firearm to the NV FFL or ship it to the NV FFL. You would need to check to see if the NV FFL will accept the firearm shipped from a non FFL and, if not, you would need to find a local CA FFL to ship it for you. If he has a NV Concealed carry permit issued on or after July 1, 2011, he will be exempt from the NICS check but must still complete the 4473 form at the NV FFL.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

Can’t be shipped as stated for the PPT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2018, 11:38 AM

Default family interstate transfer.

ok I keep making threads here sorry. but more clarify my question. since I cant ship a off roster firearm form another state from a PPT.
my dad in Colorado has two firearms he wants to give to me as a gift but he lives in CO is it as simple him filling out the proper paperwork in his state at his local FFL and then that FFL ships the firearms to my local FFL and do my end and waiting period here ? and there both off roster hand guns
Old 09-07-2018, 12:07 PM

Does he already have these guns or planning on going to buy them with the intention of gifting them to you?
Old 09-07-2018, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

OP both guns must go through an FFL on your end. Your dad can bring the guns to Ca and meet at an FFL and do the transfer or use an FFL to FFL transfer. 1 in 30 does apply.
I know your ban hammer is cold hammer forged and chrome lined, im not messin with it!
Old 09-07-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONECUTTER View Post
Does he already have these guns or planning on going to buy them with the intention of gifting them to you?
he already owns them
Old 09-07-2018, 12:23 PM

already owns them
Old 09-07-2018, 12:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

He can ship direct to ffl here. FUD that he has to use ffl to ship. Lots of posts on this. Lead farmer half right
Old 09-07-2018, 12:31 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
He can ship direct to ffl here. FUD that he has to use ffl to ship. Lots of posts on this. Lead farmer half right
Correct.
Some local FFLs require the shipping party to be an FFL and in the CFLC system.

The main problem with shipping though, is that FedEx and UPS will not accept firearms, and a private individual can not ship handguns via USPS, while an FFL can.
IF he is able to get UPS to accept the shipment, it will have to be shipped overnight, and from the terminal... not the "UPS Store"

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
The main problem with shipping though, is that FedEx and UPS will not accept firearms, and a private individual can not ship handguns via USPS, while an FFL can.
Huh? People (non-FFLs) ship firearms through UPS/FedEx all the time, including handguns. You can go to their web site and see their policy on how to ship firearms. Handguns, by policy, not law, have to be shipped overnight with UPS/FedEx.

Quote:
IF he is able to get UPS to accept the shipment, it will have to be shipped overnight, and from the terminal... not the "UPS Store"
The UPS Store isn't UPS, which is why you can ship firearms through them. It is a different company and the locations are likely to be a franchise.

Old 09-07-2018, 12:27 PM

He can also ship them to a CA FFL directly with a letter and a copy of his state issued ID.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:28 PM
Señor Member

That is legal, BUT before he ships, make sure that you scout out and confirm two important things with your receiving FFL:
1 - Do they understand that California law provides a roster exemption for intrafamilial transfers?
2 - Do they release at 30 days should your DROS go "undetermined"?

Undetermined DROS has been a BIG problem lately. Turners and a lot of other FFLs won't release on "undetermined" even though it is not a denial, it is not a delay, and it IS perfectly legal to release.
DOJ has been swamped with AW registrations and VolRegs, and we are hearing about "undetermined" DROS results every week.

Quote:
Old 09-07-2018, 5:51 PM

My son in NC used ShipMyGun.com (SMG) website to ship a handgun to an FFL here in CA. The SMG provides for a private party to pay for the shipment (next day air via Fedex) with a credit card and print a label. You can insure it for an amount determined by you. Take the handgun sealed in the box with the label attached to Fedex Center (not Fedex store) and drop it off. The next day it arrives at your selected FFL. Very efficient and legal. Just ensure the FFL you are using will accept this process.
Old 09-07-2018, 9:08 PM

thank you all very much
Old 09-07-2018, 10:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Where did coke get that nonsense about no shipping thru ups and fedex ? Hairdressers cousin I guess.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:39 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
Where did coke get that nonsense about no shipping thru ups and fedex ? Hairdressers cousin I guess.
Been a few comments made recently on the forum about them not accepting shipments.

To have a hairdresser, I'd have to have hair

Quote:
Old 09-08-2018, 10:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Some locations have issues, making up rules that don't actually exist, so calls to Corp. tend to solve that problem.

As I said, look at their online polices and it doesn't say that they don't accept firearms.

Oh, then there is also the claim that handguns can never be shipped USPS, not saying that it is actually just limited to dealers. In other words don't believe everything that you read on the Internet.

Last edited by kemasa; 09-08-2018 at 10:15 AM..
Old 09-10-2018, 7:49 PM

Default interstate gun from mom to son

hello I am trying to get the right information here. my mom lives in AZ as a correction officer and is gifting me 2 used fire arms that are off roster Glocks. now what I know I can received them. but she is in a small town chino valley AZ where the. FFL won't ship to a FFL here cus they think it against the law. now can my mom ship the firearms her self with the proper documents. (what would she need as proof ) and how to go about it and also can I DROS both with out the 1/30 rule and if any FFL here where I live. TRACY/BAYAREA location can do this transfer. please help
Old 09-10-2018, 8:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
hello I am trying to get the right information here. my mom lives in AZ as a correction officer and is gifting me 2 used fire arms that are off roster Glocks. now what I know I can received them. but she is in a small town chino valley AZ where the. FFL won't ship to a FFL here cus they think it against the law. now can my mom ship the firearms her self with the proper documents. (what would she need as proof ) and how to go about it and also can I DROS both with out the 1/30 rule and if any FFL here where I live. TRACY/BAYAREA location can do this transfer. please help
She can ship direct, as long as it is ok with the receiving FFL. Typically she would need to provide a copy of her ID to log where it came from.

Shipping from an FFL is often cheaper since it can be shipped USPS, otherwise it has to be shipped UPS/FedEx overnight. You might see if the FFL there can be educated.

Unless you have a C&R FFL and COE, you would be subject to the 1 in 30.

She would also need to provide a letter documenting the transfer as an intra-familial transfer.

Old 09-10-2018, 8:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

~rkt was here~
CRPA Member

....."He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

Declaration of Independence, 1776

Last edited by rkt88edmo; 09-10-2018 at 10:17 PM..
Old 09-10-2018, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post
1) Drive to AZ. See Mom. Pick up firearms.
2) Drive home.
This is a very quick way to become a federal felon.

But, mom could legally drive (or fly) them to your California FFL.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
1) Drive to AZ. See Mom. Pick up firearms.
2) Drive home.
3) Both be picked up by Feds.

4) Both be convicted of violating 18 USC 922, and sentenced to $10K fines, 5 years in Federal prison, and permanent bar from even touching a firearm.

-----

And mmaaka, this is exactly the same question you asked here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1475117, with 'mom' instead of 'dad'.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Last edited by Librarian; 09-10-2018 at 10:14 PM..
Old 09-11-2018, 6:37 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
And mmaaka, this is exactly the same question you asked here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1475117, with 'mom' instead of 'dad'.
But mom is in AZ and dad is in CO

Quote:
Old 09-10-2018, 8:21 PM

FEATURELESS. As temping that may be I might as well drive to the nearest prison. How would I reg it? If already in my mother’s name in az?
Old 09-10-2018, 8:51 PM
Señor Member

Also keep in mind that even though the transfer is roster-exempt, the 1-every-30 limit does apply.
She can ship both to the FFL at the same time, but you can only DROS one a month... make sure the receiving FFL is OK with holding one for a month.
Also, the transfer will be subject to normal transfer fees... it is not a $35 PPT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alland View Post
This is a very quick way to become a federal felon.
But, mom could legally drive (or fly) them to your California FFL.
This. If you're in southern CA, probably the easiest way to do it.
Scout your local FFLs and make sure that they understand that:
1 - Intrafamilial transfers are roster-exempt
2 - She may hand-carry to execute an interstate dealer-transfer

Quote:

Last edited by Cokebottle; 09-10-2018 at 8:57 PM..
Old 09-10-2018, 9:26 PM
RSG Minion, Senior

Mags. 10 rounds max.

And ignore Featureless.
Old 09-11-2018, 7:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well apparently THAT was a stupid idea. In the future I'll stick to keeping myself California compliant and refrain on commenting on other legal issues I know nothing about.
CRPA Member

....."He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

Declaration of Independence, 1776

Last edited by Featureless; 09-11-2018 at 7:51 AM..
Old 09-11-2018, 8:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Well apparently THAT was a stupid idea. In the future I'll stick to keeping myself California compliant and refrain on commenting on other legal issues I know nothing about.
That's OK - even the CA-DOJ frequently gives the advice you offered, as well as some number of CA FFLs. Forgetting about Federal law seems a widespread error.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 09-11-2018, 6:41 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
That's OK - even the CA-DOJ frequently gives the advice you offered, as well as some number of CA FFLs. Forgetting about Federal law seems a widespread error.
Likewise, I've had a number of FFLs out of state insist that they can legally sell me a long gun cash and carry.
They accept without argument when I tell them that the State of Commiefornia says otherwise unless it's a C&R.

Quote:
Old 09-11-2018, 5:40 PM
RSG Minion, Senior

Quote:
You weren't trolling the new guy?

OK, I take back half the bad things I was thinking of saying but did not.
Old 09-11-2018, 5:49 PM

He's in Tracy...NorCal

1 in 30 does not apply for ppt
Old 09-11-2018, 5:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABUSA View Post
1 in 30 does not apply for ppt
True, but not relevant since what is being discussed isn't a CA PPT.