Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-26-2021, 10:03 AM

Was anyone told not to take the Firearms class until the email is sent out?

I'm just curious. I see many took the firearms before receiving the email to move forward. After my interview I was given the thumbs up to move forward with Live Scan but I was told not to take the training until I am instructed to do so.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calitor View Post

I'm just curious. I see many took the firearms before receiving the email to move forward. After my interview I was given the thumbs up to move forward with Live Scan but I was told not to take the training until I am instructed to do so.
Based on my months on this thread and my own experience, it seems to vary based on interviewer. They fall into one of two camps:

1. Mine told me I could do the training early if I wanted to, but she warned me that if I did that, I'd be risking wasting my time and money if they ultimately denied my application. She said "if you don't want to risk it, then wait for our call to proceed, but if you do go ahead and do it early, then just send me the completion documents and I'll add them to your file". Others seemed to have had a similar experience.

2. Some people have reported that their deputy told them not to do it until they were told to do it. If your deputy said not to do it, then don't do it. Unfortunately, we risk even the mildest irritations leading to a denial, so just follow what they say.

I guess you could also do the training early, but not submit the paperwork until you get the proceed with training email.
Interview Conducted - June 16
Livescan submitted - June 16
Livescan completed (firearms) - June 20
Training and qualification - June 26
Permit issued - September 29
Old 10-26-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:

At the end of my interview I asked the deputy if I could preemptively take my firearms training. He said I could, but there was "no guarantee that I would get approved for my CCW" and basically that I would be spending the money on training that I may not need. I told him training is never a waste, but as of today I have waited.
Interview: 9/24
Livescan Submitted: 9/24
DOJ/FBI Completed: 9/24
Firearms Completed: 9/25
Call for Training: Pending
Training: Pending
GC: Yellow/Light Red (Business Owner)
Old 10-26-2021, 10:26 AM

Pros of early training:
You get it out of the way, you may get issued earlier than otherwise

Cons of early training:
You risk $150+ and eight hours of your time and not get issued, your training is valid for six months and due to extreme lag periods it may expire, if you are asked to proceed to training - you will receive a "proceed to training" call or email which doubles as a "status update" of your application. you are likely not to receive this if you pre-emptively send your documents in and let me tell you, the "no idea what is happening to my application" wait sucks.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethreegs View Post
Pros of early training:
You get it out of the way, you may get issued earlier than otherwise

Cons of early training:
You risk $150+ and eight hours of your time and not get issued, your training is valid for six months and due to extreme lag periods it may expire, if you are asked to proceed to training - you will receive a "proceed to training" call or email which doubles as a "status update" of your application. you are likely not to receive this if you pre-emptively send your documents in and let me tell you, the "no idea what is happening to my application" wait sucks.
This is actually true and I forgot to mention it above. I had dead silence from my interview in mid-June until late September's pickup call. It sucked. A check-in around August to tell me to do training woulda been nice for my nerves lol.
Interview Conducted - June 16
Livescan submitted - June 16
Livescan completed (firearms) - June 20
Training and qualification - June 26
Permit issued - September 29
Old 10-26-2021, 11:00 AM

I took the training right after my interview because my investigator told me to do so. He even gave me a printout of all the approved trainers. Then when I emailed the CCW unit my certificate this is the response I got....

"Your email has been received. Please keep the firearm training for your records and submit these documents when you are emailed to do so. We will not include these attachments to your file at this time, it has been documented that you completed your firearm training."

So I guess they will email me again asking for the certificate. Dead silence would suck.
08/10/21 - Investigator called (I missed the call)
08/12/21 - Successful call back to investigator
09/10/21 - Interview in Chatsworth (was told to do LS and Training)
09/10/21 - Live Scan (CA & FBI done same day)
09/16/21 - Firearms Live Scan done
09/30/21 - Training Completed (Submitted cert and was told to hold it until they ask me to submit it.)
Old 10-26-2021, 11:17 AM
Insert Pithy Username
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanspartan View Post
Based on my months on this thread and my own experience, it seems to vary based on interviewer. They fall into one of two camps:

1. Mine told me I could do the training early if I wanted to, but she warned me that if I did that, I'd be risking wasting my time and money if they ultimately denied my application. She said "if you don't want to risk it, then wait for our call to proceed, but if you do go ahead and do it early, then just send me the completion documents and I'll add them to your file". Others seemed to have had a similar experience.

2. Some people have reported that their deputy told them not to do it until they were told to do it. If your deputy said not to do it, then don't do it. Unfortunately, we risk even the mildest irritations leading to a denial, so just follow what they say.

I guess you could also do the training early, but not submit the paperwork until you get the proceed with training email.

My deputy fell in the no. 1 category. He told me it was fine, but it was my risk as he couldn't guarantee approval. I did it and sent in.
livescan 6/23 complete 6/25
training 7/12 did it proactively
issued 8/4

Re-Elect Sheriff Villanueva
Old 10-26-2021, 2:24 PM

has everyone that has had an interview been told to immediately proceed to the live scan?
10/1 - request for updated DL
10/5 - Sent updated DL / Deputy re-asked to complete live scan although already complete per instructions during interview.
Old 10-26-2021, 3:25 PM

Quote:

They can't really tell you not to take it. Some also have done it preemptively, catch is, it's your money, and there is always a risk of a denial

4/21 Application accepted
6/14 Preemptively started Livescan
6/19 LiveScan fully complete
7/15 Deputy called (with unacceptable date/time).
8/25 Appointment set for 9/10
9/10 Interview complete. Waiting for "Proceed to training"
10/02 - 9/29 (Date in letter) - DENIED
Old 10-26-2021, 4:46 PM

no. There was one dude who had such a bad GC, they told him not to do a live scan and he got a denial later.
-
Mrs. Lockdown - Light Red
4.20 App Submitted | 6.4 LiveScan Clears | 7.22 Interview/Training Submitted | 11.5 Est. Issue
Old 10-26-2021, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdown.- View Post
no. There was one dude who had such a bad GC, they told him not to do a live scan and he got a denial later.
Good point

Old 10-26-2021, 6:15 PM

So is it safe to assume, if you have put in time on a decent gc stmt, completed live scan (with the knowledge you have nothing funky) that eventually you will get the proceed to training email (can do it early accepting the risk) that eventually you will be issued based on all previous applicants and issuance. Or are we still at the point of even with a decent good cause we should be waiting on instructions and have some patience ?
10/1 - request for updated DL
10/5 - Sent updated DL / Deputy re-asked to complete live scan although already complete per instructions during interview.
Old 10-26-2021, 6:33 PM

It’s safe to assume that you will make it to the hands of the LT. Who seems to be very arbitrary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2021, 6:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl9389 View Post
So is it safe to assume, if you have put in time on a decent gc stmt, completed live scan (with the knowledge you have nothing funky) that eventually you will get the proceed to training email (can do it early accepting the risk) that eventually you will be issued based on all previous applicants and issuance. Or are we still at the point of even with a decent good cause we should be waiting on instructions and have some patience ?
You can do what you want, but I was under the impression my GC was approved (as indicated on two occasions, once by a deputy and once in a CCW Unit email response) right up until Uninformed Deliverance Day
04.19 App Submitted|06.15 LiveScan Cleared|06.27 Training Completed|07.19 Call Received|07.20 Interview|07.28 Request for LiveScan/LiveScan #2 CA & FBI Completed|09.01 Call to follow up/confirm GC approved|09.07 Submitted Training Docs/received reply “Your .… have been received. You will be contacted when your file has been completed to schedule your license pick up.”|09.09 LiveScan #2 Firearms Completed|09.28 Denial Letter.
Old 10-26-2021, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaweedsoyboy View Post
You can do what you want, but I was under the impression my GC was approved (as indicated on two occasions, once by a deputy and once in a CCW Unit email response) right up until Uninformed Deliverance Day
Me and Sea Weed got sent up river Denial

Old 10-26-2021, 8:57 PM

With this new LT in charge, it seems like anything can happen if you have LG GC. Just wait it out.
-
Mrs. Lockdown - Light Red
4.20 App Submitted | 6.4 LiveScan Clears | 7.22 Interview/Training Submitted | 11.5 Est. Issue
Old 10-26-2021, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdown.- View Post
With this new LT in charge, it seems like anything can happen if you have LG GC. Just wait it out.
Meanwhile I'm saving ALL invoices/order confirmations/etc. to present when/if I decide to re-apply. For now I am planning to do AZ/UT

Old 10-26-2021, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LrdVaderZ View Post
For now I am planning to do AZ/UT
Do it. Way cheaper and they respect your right to carry in their states plus a couple others.

Old 10-26-2021, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
Do it. Way cheaper and they respect your right to carry in their states plus a couple others.
I will, it's just for now it is a question of funds, once I finish this freelance gig, I'll be able to do the AZ/UT as well as order more ammo ( I try to do this with "wild money" not savings for important stuff)

Last edited by LrdVaderZ; 10-26-2021 at 10:54 PM..