Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 10-09-2019, 2:41 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Default Quieting an RWS 34

Hi all.

I currently have an RWS 34 Meisterschultze Pro Compact in .177, but it's a bit louder than I expected when ridding squirrels and mice. Is there a way to quiet it down without affecting performance? I've searched without a ton of luck, wanted to see what you gurus thought.

Jerry
Old 10-09-2019, 3:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Try heavier pellets that slow down the velocity to subsonic.

Unfortunately, springers make more noise than piston rifles. It's not only the pellet breaking the sound barrier, but the spring slamming back and forth. Then there's more noise when the pellet hits the target.

If heavier pellets don't help, you may have to get a new pellet gun in .22 cal. Pick a PCP or a piston break-barrel with a shrouded barrel. A barrel-end permanently attached suppressor also helps.

Some subsonic CO2 guns are very quiet, but have less power and are slow to get into action.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 10-09-2019, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug_eyedmonster View Post
Hi all.

I currently have an RWS 34 Meisterschultze Pro Compact in .177, but it's a bit louder than I expected when ridding squirrels and mice. Is there a way to quiet it down without affecting performance? I've searched without a ton of luck, wanted to see what you gurus thought.

Jerry
Have you shot the rifle very much? Sometimes new spring guns tend to diesel a bit until the excess factory lube gets used up. Try shooting a few tins of pellets and I’d be willing to bet that it will quiet down significantly.

I don’t think I’d worry too much about the pellets breaking the sound barrier. Most spring guns, despite the advertising hype, aren’t shooting pellets at 1100 FPS. And if you are shooting pellets that fast, you’re probably using the wrong type and your gun is going to beat itself up. That’s not a big deal if your rifle is Chinese junk, but you probably wouldn’t want to do it to a nice German gun.
Old 10-09-2019, 6:16 PM

They have tune kits, though I've never messed with them myself. Spring guns don't sound like guns really, I've never had a neighbor say anything. I do use a quiet trap most of the time, but I also shoot a bunch of clays I hang about.
Old 10-09-2019, 6:40 PM

I seal the muzzle with black Gorilla tape and shoot thru it a few shots. Once the hole is well rounded there is no loss in accuracy or performance. That usually dampens the sound on my air rifles with solid muzzle brakes.

It's cheap and it works.
Old 10-10-2019, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhc11 View Post
I seal the muzzle with black Gorilla tape and shoot thru it a few shots. Once the hole is well rounded there is no loss in accuracy or performance. That usually dampens the sound on my air rifles with solid muzzle brakes.

It's cheap and it works.
On a springer though, it's not muzzle noise. It's 90% the spring. Proper grease,springs and seals is about all you can do. My FWB Sport is loud as heck, but super smooth. Going down to the lower powered spring would be the most I could do really.
Old 10-10-2019, 2:33 PM

A co-worker said to use those foam things that kids use in pools to hit each other with. Cut a length and put it on the end.
I haven't tried it myself.
Old 10-10-2019, 3:53 PM
King- Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have a 22. It’s loud. It scared the neighbors. Haven’t found a fix.
Old 10-11-2019, 9:41 AM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by prob View Post
Have you shot the rifle very much? Sometimes new spring guns tend to diesel a bit until the excess factory lube gets used up. Try shooting a few tins of pellets and I’d be willing to bet that it will quiet down significantly.

I don’t think I’d worry too much about the pellets breaking the sound barrier. Most spring guns, despite the advertising hype, aren’t shooting pellets at 1100 FPS. And if you are shooting pellets that fast, you’re probably using the wrong type and your gun is going to beat itself up. That’s not a big deal if your rifle is Chinese junk, but you probably wouldn’t want to do it to a nice German gun.

No, I have not shot it much at all, mainly because it's to plink around and kill time between hunts while we wait at camp. We have an issue with ground squirrels there, as well as field mice that destroy camp gear. I would venture less than 100 rounds have been shot out of it, and that's also due to the amount of noise. The pellets I have are the H&N field target domed pellets and JSB Diabolo EXACT pellets. They don't vary in volume either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post
I have a 22. It’s loud. It scared the neighbors. Haven’t found a fix.
Yeah, I haven't shot it much at home, I did it once and my wife thought it was a ND, so that put an end to anything planned.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
No, I have not shot it much at all, mainly because it's to plink around and kill time between hunts while we wait at camp. We have an issue with ground squirrels there, as well as field mice that destroy camp gear. I would venture less than 100 rounds have been shot out of it, and that's also due to the amount of noise. The pellets I have are the H&N field target domed pellets and JSB Diabolo EXACT pellets. They don't vary in volume either way.
One of the H&N Field Target versions is only 5.56 grams, which means they would be screaming fast out of your RWS 34. They will easily be breaking the sound barrier. H&N does have a 8.49, 8.64, and 8.80 gram versions. Are you any of those over the 5.56 gram version? Either way, they might all be breaking the sound barrier. I would try something heavier.

JSB Diabolo Exact's have multiple versions weighing between 7.33 grams and 16.2 grams. Which are you using?

Those who want quiet usually shoot PCP's or piston operated pellet guns. They usually have barrel shrouds and/or permanent muzzle suppressors. They also typically choose .22 caliber because they remain subsonic and have good hitting power.

I personally have a Remington (Crosman) Nitro Piston break barrel in .22 and a Crosman 1322. Both are very quiet. I purchased both because my old .177 Gamo springer break barrel sounded like I was shooting off .22 Long Rifle rimfire.

The Remington in .22 has a shrouded barrel and is piston operated. That's why it's so quiet.

The 1322 doesn't have a shrouded barrel, but it's quiet because you can tailor the number of pumps (power) to the shot you need to take.

Ear plugs are unnecessary with either gun.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater

Last edited by k1dude; 10-11-2019 at 12:55 PM..
Old 10-11-2019, 10:44 AM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

Quote:
This.

Yes, the springer action itself makes as much or more noise than the pellet firing.
A Nitro Piston gun will be overall quieter than something like a Gamo Springer Whisper which has a silencer.
PCPs have very little action noise at all but they are higher priced and require a pump or compressor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don't really care, I just like to argue.
Old 10-11-2019, 4:09 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
One of the H&N Field Target versions is only 5.56 grams, which means they would be screaming fast out of your RWS 34. They will easily be breaking the sound barrier. H&N does have a 8.49, 8.64, and 8.80 gram versions. Are you any of those over the 5.56 gram version? Either way, they might all be breaking the sound barrier. I would try something heavier.

JSB Diabolo Exact's have multiple versions weighing between 7.33 grams and 16.2 grams. Which are you using?

Those who want quiet usually shoot PCP's or piston operated pellet guns. They usually have barrel shrouds and/or permanent muzzle suppressors. They also typically choose .22 caliber because they remain subsonic and have good hitting power.

I personally have a Remington (Crosman) Nitro Piston break barrel in .22 and a Crosman 1322. Both are very quiet. I purchased both because my old .177 Gamo springer break barrel sounded like I was shooting off .22 Long Rifle rimfire.

The Remington in .22 has a shrouded barrel and is piston operated. That's why it's so quiet.

The 1322 doesn't have a shrouded barrel, but it's quiet because you can tailor the number of pumps (power) to the shot you need to take.

Ear plugs are unnecessary with either gun.
The JSBs are 7.33, the H&Ns 8.64, so they are not flying exceptionally fast. This model of the 34 has a baffle thing, that's supposed to quiet the gun down, but as some of you have noted, it might just b the springer action making the racket. I'm going to look into taking it apart and re-greasing the action if that's possible and see if that helps. If it's too complicated, then I might just sell it and get something else.
Old 10-11-2019, 5:34 PM

Quote:
The JSBs are 7.33, the H&Ns 8.64, so they are not flying exceptionally fast. This model of the 34 has a baffle thing, that's supposed to quiet the gun down, but as some of you have noted, it might just b the springer action making the racket. I'm going to look into taking it apart and re-greasing the action if that's possible and see if that helps. If it's too complicated, then I might just sell it and get something else.
If it's new, it probably won't help much. You might need to find a proper airgun forum. RWS 34s are about the most popular springer ever,so there should be PLENTY of info.
Old 10-11-2019, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewN View Post
If it's new, it probably won't help much. You might need to find a proper airgun forum. RWS 34s are about the most popular springer ever,so there should be PLENTY of info.
It will help. The thing to remember is that it doesn’t take much lubrication to work properly. I think the tendency is to use more grease than needed, so if I can offer a little advice, when you put grease around the seal, you should have a feeling that you haven’t put on enough. Just a very thin coating around the outer surface of the seal should do it. Maybe do the same to the outer surface of the piston.

Many online airgun retailers will have a selection of lubes available. Most people use some type of moly grease.
Old 10-12-2019, 2:17 PM

Quote:
It will help. The thing to remember is that it doesn’t take much lubrication to work properly. I think the tendency is to use more grease than needed, so if I can offer a little advice, when you put grease around the seal, you should have a feeling that you haven’t put on enough. Just a very thin coating around the outer surface of the seal should do it. Maybe do the same to the outer surface of the piston.

Many online airgun retailers will have a selection of lubes available. Most people use some type of moly grease.
Do you find new guns to be under or over lubed often? I haven't taken enough apart to know myself. I usually won't pull a gun apart until maybe 5k pellets. Hard to believe RWS doesn't have assembly lube down at this point.
Old 10-13-2019, 8:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I was just reading an airgun message board, and the general consensus is you have to use a pellet weighing more than 10 grams or you risk going supersonic with a .177 springer.

This was in addition to getting at least 500 rounds down the tube before attempting to removing excess lube.

If it's still too loud you may have to consider a different airgun (non-spring operated).

Old 10-13-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
I was just reading an airgun message board, and the general consensus is you have to use a pellet weighing more than 10 grams or you risk going supersonic with a .177 springer.

This was in addition to getting at least 500 rounds down the tube before attempting to removing excess lube.

If it's still too loud you may have to consider a different airgun (non-spring operated).
That's simply not true. Again, advertising hype aside, very few spring guns, if any, will attain velocities of over 1125 fps using good pellets. It doesn't happen. I don't know where you're getting your information but it's wrong.

I've had many spring guns in my life and even when chronographed with relatively light pellets my guns were nowhere near the 1100 fps threshold. You can get those velocities with PCP airguns, but not your basic spring piston guns. And certainly not a bone stock Model 34.

A properly lubed spring gun will be reasonably quiet. As I've said before, shoot a few tins though it, I can just about guarantee that it will quiet down significantly.
Old 10-13-2019, 1:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
That's simply not true. Again, advertising hype aside, very few spring guns, if any, will attain velocities of over 1125 fps using good pellets. It doesn't happen. I don't know where you're getting your information but it's wrong.

I've had many spring guns in my life and even when chronographed with relatively light pellets my guns were nowhere near the 1100 fps threshold. You can get those velocities with PCP airguns, but not your basic spring piston guns. And certainly not a bone stock Model 34.

A properly lubed spring gun will be reasonably quiet. As I've said before, shoot a few tins though it, I can just about guarantee that it will quiet down significantly.
A very simple google search proves you wrong. Chrony tests are widely available. They pretty much all show supersonic velocities with very light pellets. There's very good scientific analysis of .177 pellets going supersonic at sea level vs altitude at varying humidity levels.

I personally chrony'd my Gamo .177 springer with 7.9 grain Crosman Premier Hollow Points and I was consistently getting velocities around 1160 fps.

Old 10-13-2019, 3:16 PM

If you had read carefully what I posted you would have seen that I said good pellets. Very light zinc pellets are a novelty that allow airgun manufacturers to claim unrealistic velocities with their products.

If you want to buy into meaningless advertisement claims and you don't mind beating up the internal mechanism of your air rifle, then by all means do so.

My spring guns are beautiful heirloom quality guns that I would like to last a long time. I don't mind working on them and I operate them within the bounds of their limitations. I would never run trashy zinc pellets through them to eke out a bit more velocity.

O.P., you have a nicely made German rifle. Follow my advice and you'll be fine.
Old 10-13-2019, 4:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
If you had read carefully what I posted you would have seen that I said good pellets. Very light zinc pellets are a novelty that allow airgun manufacturers to claim unrealistic velocities with their products.

If you want to buy into meaningless advertisement claims and you don't mind beating up the internal mechanism of your air rifle, then by all means do so.
And you completely ignored my Gamo springer shooting 7.9 grain lead pellets at 1160 fps. You also completely ignored the reams of information online of actual chrony tests which proves it's best to avoid pellets less than 10 grains if you want to remain subsonic. Show me a 10+ grain zinc pellet in .177.

Your fine heirloom German airguns aren't representative of current mass production. Yours were likely purpose built for precision and accuracy at slow relative speeds. In other words, they're likely match guns, not general purpose modern mass produced airguns.

Last edited by k1dude; 10-13-2019 at 4:13 PM..
Old 10-13-2019, 4:12 PM

I'll see if I can get my SO to measure the db's of a couple of my springers. A well broken in 34 and an almost virgin FWB Sport. Then I can measure it again after 500 pellets. It'll just be an Iphone app, but it's a number. And,FFS, just post your chrony numbers, it's silly to argue about if you have the data. I'll try and chrony mine, but mine is crap and the LabRadar is still a few paychecks out.

Last edited by DrewN; 10-13-2019 at 4:15 PM..
Old 10-13-2019, 5:37 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

Our very informal "which one is quietest or loudest" test was done with one guy shooting and the other standing with his back turned to the shooter about 20 feet away.

Loudest: Winchester Springer .177, made in Turkey, don't remember the model, advertised as a fast one, entry level gun. This gun was rough inside and out. Very loud gun and very loud action. Crossman CP pellets.
Next: Gamo Big Cat Springer .177 using CP pellets.
Middle: Gamo Whisper Springer .177 with oversize moderator using CP pellets. Both Gamos had fairly loud actions.
Quieter: Nice German made Beeman .20 cal springer. Action noise was much less than the Gamos with this smoothie.
More Quiet: Benjamin Nitro Piston . 177 with moderator CP pellet
Quietest: Benjamin Nitro Piston in .22 with moderator CP pellet
(On the Benjamin NP, the moderator is the same tube and exit size in both .177 and .22. It appears that the .22 pellet better fills the moderator which cuts down on muzzle noise and the .22 pellet moving slower is not coming anywhere near the speed of sound).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don't really care, I just like to argue.
Old 10-13-2019, 8:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojisan View Post
Our very informal "which one is quietest or loudest" test was done with one guy shooting and the other standing with his back turned to the shooter about 20 feet away.

Loudest: Winchester Springer .177, made in Turkey, don't remember the model, advertised as a fast one, entry level gun. This gun was rough inside and out. Very loud gun and very loud action. Crossman CP pellets.
Next: Gamo Big Cat Springer .177 using CP pellets.
Middle: Gamo Whisper Springer .177 with oversize moderator using CP pellets. Both Gamos had fairly loud actions.
Quieter: Nice German made Beeman .20 cal springer. Action noise was much less than the Gamos with this smoothie.
More Quiet: Benjamin Nitro Piston . 177 with moderator CP pellet
Quietest: Benjamin Nitro Piston in .22 with moderator CP pellet
(On the Benjamin NP, the moderator is the same tube and exit size in both .177 and .22. It appears that the .22 pellet better fills the moderator which cuts down on muzzle noise and the .22 pellet moving slower is not coming anywhere near the speed of sound).
Your experience pretty much matches mine.

Old 12-07-2019, 12:11 PM

try crosman premier 10.5 grain pellets...

i am a legend in my own mind...

we are told not to judge muslims by what a few do...yet, the NRA membership and firearms owners are ALL considered as radical...

"The second amendment ain't about your deer rifle..."
Old 12-26-2019, 1:15 AM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

PyramidAir product page gives a 5 star symbol for each aIrgun they sell indicating relative loudness, they test them all.