Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 07-02-2015, 11:57 AM

so guys I been denied from my appeal on attending a CCW through Sacramento County. process guidance through fellow members on here I also submitted a written statement of appeal three law enforcement references 2 of them with the federal government training certificates and qualifications. as I said before I have no misdemeanor or felony or domestic violence convictions on my record whatsoever. No domestic violence restraining orders or anything either. I called Sacramento County Sheriff's Department 2101 Hurley Way background investigator who answer the phone said that they cannot give me a valid reason other than not a good candidate at this time because that is what the sheriff decided and stated. which was the initial denial in the first place before my appeal they basically cut and pasted and that's what it looked like. does anyone on this website that can help me or suggest anything other than wait a full year and put it up to chance again I would greatly appreciate it of hearing a suggestion. on the bottom it says if my circumstances change please reply in a year they are unable to tell me what circumstances I need to change from the sheriff's department so I'm a loss for words as well.I called Sacramento County District Attorney's Office they refer me to Department of Justice Department of Justice give me a phone number of 9162273597. and that number is for firearm inquiries and solutions at least that's what they said I just got a voicemail and I left a message. I called Jason Davis and associates left a message still didn't receive a call back yet. I appreciate any inquiries than anyone else may have on this topic. Thank you
Old 08-19-2015, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayChris35 View Post
so guys I been denied from my appeal on attending a CCW through Sacramento County. process guidance through fellow members on here I also submitted a written statement of appeal three law enforcement references 2 of them with the federal government training certificates and qualifications. as I said before I have no misdemeanor or felony or domestic violence convictions on my record whatsoever. No domestic violence restraining orders or anything either. I called Sacramento County Sheriff's Department 2101 Hurley Way background investigator who answer the phone said that they cannot give me a valid reason other than not a good candidate at this time because that is what the sheriff decided and stated. which was the initial denial in the first place before my appeal they basically cut and pasted and that's what it looked like. does anyone on this website that can help me or suggest anything other than wait a full year and put it up to chance again I would greatly appreciate it of hearing a suggestion. on the bottom it says if my circumstances change please reply in a year they are unable to tell me what circumstances I need to change from the sheriff's department so I'm a loss for words as well.I called Sacramento County District Attorney's Office they refer me to Department of Justice Department of Justice give me a phone number of 9162273597. and that number is for firearm inquiries and solutions at least that's what they said I just got a voicemail and I left a message. I called Jason Davis and associates left a message still didn't receive a call back yet. I appreciate any inquiries than anyone else may have on this topic. Thank you
You are not alone, Sir. Unfortunately, it is apparent SSD will deny regardless if you have a criminal record or not. They will deny based merely on "suspicion of bad character" and not on hard facts. So, unless you have had ZERO interactions with law enforcement that does not lead to you spending the night in jail; regardless if you were innocent; dealing with corrupt cops; or just in the wrong place at the wrong time, forget about it.

They don't care if you were innocent or not, because it is apparent SSD go on the motto "guilty before proven innocent".

I for one am still feeling the hurt from spending the night in jail over 5 years ago for being in the wrong place at the wrong time and poor Police practices. I was never tried for any crime (because there wasn't any), nor was it proved that my actions warranted the arrest in the first place.

I have been advised after the incident to expunge the arrest record, but was told the arrest won't really affect me since I was never tried. Boy, was I wrong... If you have the grounds to expunge or seal any arrest record you have, do so immediately by hiring a competent attorney.
Old 08-19-2015, 8:27 PM

Just from reading this Thread it is apparent that getting anything expunged will make little difference as the encounter will still show up when the background check is done. It would seem that time is the only remedy, once things are multiple "at least 7" years behind you possibly things may be different. At least that is what I get from reading this Thread but I guess that each case lives or dies on its own merit.

Seen on a LGS Wall.
Without the Second, there would be No First!!
Old 10-14-2015, 1:44 PM

Default CCW DENIAL Sacramento

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
ETA: This post is not meant to usurp or undermine SUPERSONIC's efforts and in hindsight and upon closer reading of the OP, this may not have been the best place for me to hang this notice out there. This is just a notice that I may ALSO be able to help you in addition to the assistance and information that SUPERSONIC is able to provide. The difference may be that I can directly represent you and provide legal assistance in appealing your denial. SUPERSONIC knows his stuff and is a good guy here.

IF YOU ARE DENIED YOUR CCW BY SACRAMENTO COUNTY SHERIFF, WHETHER YOU HAVE CRIMINAL CONVICTIONS OR NOT, PLEASE CONTACT ME. I MAY BE ABLE TO HELP YOU. PLEASE DO SO AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AFTER RECEIVING YOUR DENIAL LETTER.

How do I private message you?
Old 08-30-2016, 12:49 PM

Default Prozac and obtaining CCW

I know this is an older forum but wanted to know if anyone else had applied for a ccw while being on prozac and been denied or approved? Currently like another poster I've been on the medication for about 12 years for anxiety in some social situations. Just wanted to get others reply on the matter.
Old 09-20-2016, 8:17 AM
Spent $299 for this text!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

reported takengone25's hidden image tracker

Old 09-27-2016, 2:16 PM

So I been a armed security guard for almost a year now. A co worker of mine who is ex military told me I should look into getting a ccw to apply for better jobs. Lets face it unless you know someone in California doesn't matter how many permits you have. The pay is still terrible with no options to move up. Supervisors tend to just mislead and use you. So anyway I started the CCW process last year and sent a e mail to the Sheriff's office. I get a e mail back saying next available appointment is 6 months out. 6 months comes I worn something professional but not a suit. The questions were easy and all common sense. I was then told to get finger printed at one of their locations even though Im already in the system for my firearm my firearm permit my guard card and T.W.I.C card. Next day a sheriff officer comes to my apartment to make sure I live at the address I wrote down. He told me to go get my prints down asap to submit to them. I go to the C.M police department to get my prints done. Spent like 110 bucks to do it. After I sent the prints in and all paperwork they asked for I get told the background check will take 3 to 4 months. After that The officer that I spoke to will send me a letter in the mail or e mail me. It is now going on month 4.5 and nothing yet. I do kinda worry cause I see so many jobs I cant apply for since I dont have a CCW. A co worker I work with told me with all the insane crap going on with crazy people blasting random people that have nothing to do with them the state has made it hard to get a ccw permit. He even told me he has a military friend thats ex police get denied as well. S.B area has people waiting until the end of 2017 just to get a interview. So now im kinda worried and wonder if I should just give up on waiting and focus myself on joining the military since even though I do high end retail the pay is pretty pathetic with no career at all.
Old 09-27-2016, 2:24 PM

Tyler, think this thread is more up to date for you:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352779

on the four and a half month wait for livescan, that seems to be how it is taking. I am at four months and one week, no word yet. Your wait seems to be the normal.

It sounds like the Sheriff has approved your initial application so your livescan should come through if nothing has happened since the initial approval. It is not the Sheriff's fault...The hold up is the CA DOJ.

So keep your hopes alive my friend!
Old 09-27-2016, 2:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler1987 View Post
So I been a armed security guard for almost a year now. A co worker of mine who is ex military told me I should look into getting a ccw to apply for better jobs. Lets face it unless you know someone in California doesn't matter how many permits you have. The pay is still terrible with no options to move up. Supervisors tend to just mislead and use you. So anyway I started the CCW process last year and sent a e mail to the Sheriff's office. I get a e mail back saying next available appointment is 6 months out. 6 months comes I worn something professional but not a suit. The questions were easy and all common sense. I was then told to get finger printed at one of their locations even though Im already in the system for my firearm my firearm permit my guard card and T.W.I.C card. Next day a sheriff officer comes to my apartment to make sure I live at the address I wrote down. He told me to go get my prints down asap to submit to them. I go to the C.M police department to get my prints done. Spent like 110 bucks to do it. After I sent the prints in and all paperwork they asked for I get told the background check will take 3 to 4 months. After that The officer that I spoke to will send me a letter in the mail or e mail me. It is now going on month 4.5 and nothing yet. I do kinda worry cause I see so many jobs I cant apply for since I dont have a CCW. A co worker I work with told me with all the insane crap going on with crazy people blasting random people that have nothing to do with them the state has made it hard to get a ccw permit. He even told me he has a military friend thats ex police get denied as well. S.B area has people waiting until the end of 2017 just to get a interview. So now im kinda worried and wonder if I should just give up on waiting and focus myself on joining the military since even though I do high end retail the pay is pretty pathetic with no career at all.
OP this thread is for SACRAMENTO non prohibited persons who were denied after initial application to the Sheriff. You have not been denied. You are not from Sacramento. Maybe post in a relevant section. But since you are here....... You don't sound any different than everyone else who applied. Wait like they did. It takes a long time. In the mean time I suggest you actually read up on the process a bit.

Last edited by Sapperforward; 09-27-2016 at 2:50 PM..
Old 11-16-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
PM'ed
Well man im gonna try! Hah!
Old 11-18-2016, 1:48 PM

anyone work for CDCR (non-custody) and denied?! err denied 2x meaning the initial and the appeal?! I am sure I am not the only one and Yes I have tried to contact Amber, and Yes it was No help.

I guess I will contact a lawyer to see if there is actually anything that can be done, although I have lost my faith, I keep a positive attitude, hope for the best and be prepared....with my cellular communications device that can summon police officers and first responders immediately, if there is service in the area and after waiting for them to be on location.
Old 03-16-2017, 4:59 PM

Hello All,

I'm hoping you might be able to give me some advice with my situation. I hope this fits because I was denied but not 'officially'.

I first attempted to get my CCW In June of 2014 where I received an appointment for an initial interview. Now I did have a number of traffic violations (3-4) on my record at the time, which I disclosed but when I met with the older gentleman who looked at my paperwork, he told me that due to a misdemeanor "Driving on a Suspended License" that I had received about 3 years prior, (146011 VC) that the Sheriff would DQ me and that I should not even try to move forward with the interview. He then told me to wait the 7 years for it to drop off because in his words, "A CCW denial will show up on your record." I took his advice and ended the appointment there. Now in retrospect I probably shouldn't of ended it and seen what happened but I've been thinking about reapplying a little early and I'm wondering if I should, or if its better to wait. The more I see going on in the world the less and less safe I feel for my family's well being.

Now three years later all of my traffic violations are gone, except for that damned 146011 VC which will show up for 10 years with DMV due to it being a "2 Point offense". I am currently working on having the misdemeanor dismissed, but as I understand it, it will still show up as being dismissed. Based upon my understanding it should've never disqualified me to begin with but with how the Sheriff defines Good Moral Character it seems like a crap shoot.

What do you all recommend? Wait it out or would it be worth it to push forward and appeal it if denied due to the now almost 6 year old Suspended License ticket? Appreciate any and all responses up front!
Old 03-16-2017, 6:03 PM
Veteran Member

Under 7 years, don't hold your breath. They have a pretty clear standard.

I was 6 years and 9 months after a failure to appear on a traffic ticket and was denied.

Sent from my secret bunker using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2017, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperforward View Post
Under 7 years, don't hold your breath. They have a pretty clear standard.

I was 6 years and 9 months after a failure to appear on a traffic ticket and was denied.

Thanks Sapperforward, I appreciate the advice, guess I'll just wait it out.
Old 03-16-2017, 6:33 PM
Veteran Member

Keep the faith. After I waited out the 7 years I got my permit, no problem.

I understand your frustration though. Where does a 7 year standard come from anyway?

Old 03-16-2017, 6:53 PM

I will and thank you again, honestly at this point it's only another year or so, I've been patient enough this long.

Once the 7 years has passed, I still need to disclose the misdemeanor but it shouldn't effect me anymore correct? Do you know if it matters if I get the conviction dismissed vs just leaving it? Also all my other moving violations, now that they're no longer on my DMV record, should I list them, to be honest I cant even remember all of them as I did a lot of stupid stuff with fast cars/motorcycles in my early 20's.
Old 03-16-2017, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloWS6 View Post
I will and thank you again, honestly at this point it's only another year or so, I've been patient enough this long.

Once the 7 years has passed, I still need to disclose the misdemeanor but it shouldn't effect me anymore correct? Do you know if it matters if I get the conviction dismissed vs just leaving it? Also all my other moving violations, now that they're no longer on my DMV record, should I list them, to be honest I cant even remember all of them as I did a lot of stupid stuff with fast cars/motorcycles in my early 20's.
So do you have a slow S6 or a slow WS6?

Old 03-16-2017, 7:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I had tons of tickets with failure to appears attached to all of them from my twenties. I didn't try to clear or expunge anything. I appeared on all the tickets at once and took a beating from the judge. 7 years and 2 days later I was interviewing for my CCW. Even if you do get it expunged they are going to see it on the livescan background check. It will just list it as dismissed or expunged.

List every single law enforcement encounter you ever had to the best of your knowledge. Dismissed or not. Traffic or criminal. They will know about it anyway. They will know about, and discuss issues you that you probably have forgotten about. If you fail to disclose anything you can be denied.

If your clear for the seven years and your not otherwise restricted to have a firearm it's pretty much a sure deal you will get an approval.

Old 03-16-2017, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
So do you have a slow S6 or a slow WS6?
A WS6, which I drive Slow hence the issues with getting a CCW in the first place
Old 03-16-2017, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperforward View Post
I had tons of tickets with failure to appears attached to all of them from my twenties. I didn't try to clear or expunge anything. I appeared on all the tickets at once and took a beating from the judge. 7 years and 2 days later I was interviewing for my CCW. Even if you do get it expunged they are going to see it on the livescan background check. It will just list it as dismissed or expunged.

List every single law enforcement encounter you ever had to the best of your knowledge. Dismissed or not. Traffic or criminal. They will know about it anyway. They will know about, and discuss issues you that you probably have forgotten about. If you fail to disclose anything you can be denied.

If your clear for the seven years and your not otherwise restricted to have a firearm it's pretty much a sure deal you will get an approval.

Ok thanks for that, I wonder if there is anywhere I can find that information to help job my memory. Between 18-25, speeding, racing, exhibitions etc which went to FTA's and FTP's, then suspended infractions which culminated into the suspended misdemeanor. I wonder if DMV has a long form version I can get from them. Needless to say after giving the state the equivalent of a house downpayment, all that stupid crap is behind me. Sold my Sport Bikes and have minimal mods on my WS6 (which isn't even daily driven).
Old 03-16-2017, 8:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Ok thanks for that, I wonder if there is anywhere I can find that information to help job my memory. Between 18-25, speeding, racing, exhibitions etc which went to FTA's and FTP's, then suspended infractions which culminated into the suspended misdemeanor. I wonder if DMV has a long form version I can get from them. Needless to say after giving the state the equivalent of a house downpayment, all that stupid crap is behind me. Sold my Sport Bikes and have minimal mods on my WS6 (which isn't even daily driven).
Just disclose what you can remember as best you can. If they bring up something you forgot (they will) just be honest explaining the event once they bring it up. They are looking for people intentionally trying to hide things.

I literally wrote something like "various traffic tickets during years of x and y. Can not recall exact dates". Than in the interview they asked me to explain further.

The interview process is was in my experience a really easy conversation. They just have you clarify a few things. The interviewer will ask for a few additional details about certain specific events you listed (or didn't) and than send your application on to the board that make the final approvals. A month or so later and you get a conditional approval pending Livescan results or a denial.

P.S. going back a few posts you mentioned maybe pushing forward...getting a denial and than appealing. Something to keep in mind, if your denied you will be barred from applying again for a year unless you appeal and win the appeal. Or at least that was the case a couple years ago. I doubt that has changed.

Last edited by Sapperforward; 03-16-2017 at 8:15 PM..
Old 10-07-2021, 5:35 AM

Hi y’all I’m new to this forum, and haven’t seen anyone really talking about getting their ccw in Sacramento county, well anything that has been in the recent years and not years old. Has anyone recently been successfully been able to obtain their ccw?
Old 10-07-2021, 7:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Montana View Post
Hi y’all I’m new to this forum, and haven’t seen anyone really talking about getting their ccw in Sacramento county, well anything that has been in the recent years and not years old. Has anyone recently been successfully been able to obtain their ccw?
To the best of my knowledge, lots of people are, and they're still approving most anyone who isn't disqualified. I'm not in sac county, but at my last CCW renewal class a few weeks ago, half the class was Sac county.

Old 06-08-2022, 11:36 AM

Thumbs up CCW in Sac County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Montana View Post
I know this thread is a little old, but I have a Sac County CCW,I got it in June of 2021, I waited a couple months for the interview, but once I did the interview the entire process only took about 2 1/2 weeks, I have done 2 mods to my permit since then, and the first took a week, and I just did one recently, I qualified and sent in my paperwork on a Friday and I had my modified permit that following Tuesday(Monday was Memorial day). The Sac County Sheriff's dept has their act together nicely up here.