Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 08-24-2012, 5:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Email it to me at work arichards@rwslaw.com NEW EMAIL adam@ajrlaw.net and I will take a look at it.

Check out https://www.firearmsunknown.com/. Support a good calgunner local to San Diego.

Last edited by ohsmily; 05-26-2017 at 8:42 AM..
Old 08-25-2012, 1:36 PM

Default DOJ

Sent it to you thx you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
Email it to me at work arichards@rwslaw.com and I will take a look at it.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:03 AM

I was concerned with what is on my record from another state over 20 years ago. I did an out of state backround check on myself as well as one here with DOJ and the only thing that came back was a juvinile felony from when I was 16. This was not on the DOJ report. So I decied to buy an AR15 and was not denied. Well now I want a CCW so that I can carry my wifes glock when we go camping. Howerver I've had a domestic violence charged which was dropped for violating a temporary restraining order in another state back in 1995. Does anyone think i'll be denied. What are my chances? I've had a carry conceal before in another state but had to surreneder it during the duration of the temp restraining order. What if I dont say anything on the application? Do I even need to since nothing appears on my backround checks?
Old 10-04-2012, 3:23 PM

As one Calgunner shared with me , its best to reveal all and then explain the circumstances that way you dont get jammed up , good luck
Old 10-18-2012, 9:03 AM

Default first appointment

Well my friends had my appt yesterday , took my DL , two bills with current address and 20 dollar money order made to Sac County. It went kinda smooth and was able to explain some circumstances of my past and presented documentation to substantiate and address those matters. But was thrown off when asked about gang affiliation. I grew up in LA in the wrong side of town but never in a gang. All in all I feel it went well and the folks there were pleasant . Will see . Be sure you know your drivers license # and read the instructions on the app . Be honest and truthful with all there questions
Old 10-21-2012, 9:12 AM

I was denied in Aug 2012. After waiting almost a year for my appt. I was told that my DUI from 3 years earlier was the reason. There was nothing on the application stating this was a reason to be denied. I was brought into the office by a female who looked at my app. and said she was looking to see if I had disclosed this info, which I had.
She then told me I had to wait 7 years after conviction date to reapply.
Old 10-21-2012, 7:29 PM

I would still appeal the departments decision and start that process but it is 30 days since you got the word. I would apply again in a year and if the department does that again, I would appeal.
Just my opinion, it doesnt hurt to do it at all.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4cbass View Post
I was denied in Aug 2012. After waiting almost a year for my appt. I was told that my DUI from 3 years earlier was the reason. There was nothing on the application stating this was a reason to be denied. I was brought into the office by a female who looked at my app. and said she was looking to see if I had disclosed this info, which I had.
She then told me I had to wait 7 years after conviction date to reapply.

Sorry to hear that buddy
Old 11-23-2012, 1:09 PM

Just got my approval letter today. To anyone Hesitant to try for what ever reason , dont let that stop you my friends good luck
Old 11-30-2012, 12:08 AM

Cool Do I have a chance?

So my brother recently got his CCW, I was surprised. Not because of his character or past (good guy / clean record) but just the fact he was able to get one. I jokingly said I wouldn't have a chance because of my past, he said to check into it. So after reading through tons of google searchs I came across the Calguns forum and eventually this thread. So my question is, do I have a snowball's chance in hell to get a CCW?

Currently my driving record is clean, but I have had my fair share of tickets in the past. But that is not why I am worried. When I was 18 I was arrested and convicted of Misdemeanor Grand Theft. Then, in 2004 I was arrested and convicted for carrying a loaded and concealed firearm in my vehicle (Misdemeanor).

Fast forward and now I am a 35 year old Insurance Agent, Married with 3 kids. The worse offense I've made in the last 8 years was related to my wife and timely household chores .I've had to overcome my past before. When I applied for my Fire and Casualty Insurance License I was denied initially but I appealed the decision. I went before a judge and represented myself against a DOI Attorney and won. But getting a CCW ? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sac County Resident
Old 11-30-2012, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCruz View Post
So my brother recently got his CCW, I was surprised. Not because of his character or past (good guy / clean record) but just the fact he was able to get one. I jokingly said I wouldn't have a chance because of my past, he said to check into it. So after reading through tons of google searchs I came across the Calguns forum and eventually this thread. So my question is, do I have a snowball's chance in hell to get a CCW?

Currently my driving record is clean, but I have had my fair share of tickets in the past. But that is not why I am worried. When I was 18 I was arrested and convicted of Misdemeanor Grand Theft. Then, in 2004 I was arrested and convicted for carrying a loaded and concealed firearm in my vehicle (Misdemeanor).

Fast forward and now I am a 35 year old Insurance Agent, Married with 3 kids. The worse offense I've made in the last 8 years was related to my wife and timely household chores .I've had to overcome my past before. When I applied for my Fire and Casualty Insurance License I was denied initially but I appealed the decision. I went before a judge and represented myself against a DOI Attorney and won. But getting a CCW ? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sac County Resident
Go for it .
Old 11-30-2012, 6:58 AM

Don't get your hopes up.... But its going to cost you $20.00 to find out ...
Old 11-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Isn't the Good Moral Character (GMC) standard in Sac County essentially, 'not a prohibited possessor?'

If so, wouldn't JohnnyCruz' be prohibited for 10 years from the misdemeanor 12025 & 12031 charges?

Doh, never mind, I just noticed that those are not prohibitive misdemeanors...
Old 11-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

Isn't the Good Moral Character (GMC) standard in Sac County essentially, 'not a prohibited possessor?'

If so, wouldn't JohnnyCruz' be prohibited for 10 years from the misdemeanor 12025 & 12031 charges?

Doh, never mind, I just noticed that those are not prohibitive misdemeanors...
Old 11-30-2012, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCruz View Post

Sac County Resident
Go for it and call Adam if it is denied. You never know.
Old 12-29-2012, 6:52 PM

where can I get a copy of my DOJ rap sheet? Do I go down to the court house?
Old 12-31-2012, 2:03 AM

I am 23 years old 24 in April and have a 6 and a half year old shoplifting conviction when I was a minor. I also have a 4 and a half year old minor in possession of alcohol.

Anyone think I am out if luck on this one?
Old 12-31-2012, 10:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreppin916 View Post
where can I get a copy of my DOJ rap sheet? Do I go down to the court house?
From this same thread...

Quote:
Free advice:

If you have or suspect that you have a criminal record or record of arrest, do yourself a favor and BEFORE applying for a CCW, obtain a copy of your DOJ Rap Sheet to see EXACTLY what is on your record and what the Sheriff will be referring to during the application and interview process. Among other things, a copy of your Rap Sheet will help ensure accuracy in disclosing your record and avoid the accusation that you were dishonest or withheld information. It costs 25-35 dollars and once you order it, it may come as soon as a couple days after ordering and up to a couple of weeks. They are usually pretty fast. It is worth it.

The first link below provides information about the process and the second link contains a search function to find a livescan provider near you.
http://ag.ca.gov/fingerprints/security.php
http://ag.ca.gov/fingerprints/publications/contact.php

It is helpful to obtain a copy if for no other reason than to ensure its accuracy. GOOD LUCK!

Check out https://www.firearmsunknown.com/. Support a good calgunner local to San Diego.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreppin916 View Post
I am 23 years old 24 in April and have a 6 and a half year old shoplifting conviction when I was a minor. I also have a 4 and a half year old minor in possession of alcohol.

Anyone think I am out if luck on this one?

Maybe, maybe not. It might be best to wait until the 5 year mark on your minor in possession before applying. You can contact me at the office if you wish to discuss this.
(916)444-9845 NEW NUMBER (916)399-3486

Last edited by ohsmily; 05-26-2017 at 8:43 AM..
Old 12-31-2012, 11:58 AM

thanks ohsmily I will be contacting you soon!
Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. It might be best to wait until the 5 year mark on your minor in possession before applying. You can contact me at the office if you wish to discuss this.
(916)444-9845
Old 01-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Last edited by Mossy Man; 09-12-2014 at 5:53 AM..
Old 02-01-2013, 5:45 PM

I was denied for failure to provide requested documentation...even though I sent everything they needed and asked for
Old 02-25-2013, 4:57 PM

Well if anyone here plans to cancel initial interveiw pm me and let me get your spot thank you
Old 03-01-2013, 10:38 PM

Hey Calgunners,I have been blessed recently, I recently took the course for Utah's 34 state ccw and mailed my application off today. Also i was able to obtain an appt with Sac cnty Sheriff's office for April, I also scored a ccw training class here in sac this month in march. things are going unusually smooth. I will keep everyone posted on my wife's and my own progress as we are applying simultaneously.
Old 03-06-2013, 8:12 PM
Banned

Same here Mrdroidian

My wife and I have an appt for the end of March, we got the appointments back in November. I am looking into a training class for both of us as we speak (we will probably go to the one in West Sacramento) and we are going to do our background checks tomorrow in order to fill them out 100% correct on the application.
Old 05-02-2013, 9:18 PM

So I went to my interview today. What I found odd was that they didn't do any background check on me while I was there. I was told by a few Sac CCW holder that they will do a background check on you while you're there. It wasnt even 2 min before I was called back in for my second interview so im thinking it dont take that fast for them to pull it up and review it. All they asked me was about me getting shot and the domestic violence I had which I was both the victim (i also gave them the sac pd report i had with me) also if I was ever arrested or do any drug or in the past which i answerd no, and when was my last violation ticket which is back in 05.

Should I be worried???

Last edited by sig916; 05-02-2013 at 9:54 PM..
Old 05-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig916 View Post
So I went to my interview today. What I found odd was that they didn't do any background check on me while I was there. I was told by a few Sac CCW holder that they will do a background check on you while you're there. It wasnt even 2 min before I was called back in for my second interview so im thinking it dont take that fast for them to pull it up and review it. All they asked me was about me getting shot and the domestic violence I had which I was both the victim (i also gave them the sac pd report i had with me) also if I was ever arrested or do any drug or in the past which i answerd no, and when was my last violation ticket which is back in 05.

Should I be worried???
No, mine went the same.
Old 05-03-2013, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcitycrawler View Post
No, mine went the same.

Did you get approve yet?
Old 05-15-2013, 8:54 AM

Wow it's Christmas in May, earlier this week I received my Utah CCW permit, then this morning I wake up this morning to an email for Sacramento county CCW approval! I'm so blessed. I'm headed to get my live scan RIGHT NOW! LoL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-19-2013, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Did you get approve yet?
I got approved, livescanned and now waiting on the mail

Old 05-31-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdroidian View Post
I got approved, livescanned and now waiting on the mail

Congrats! You know how long was the wait? It's been exactly a month and I haven't hear anything from sac sheriff...
Old 06-02-2013, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Congrats! You know how long was the wait? It's been exactly a month and I haven't hear anything from sac sheriff...
Thanks, it was 34 days for me, if I were you I would give amber Wong a call. Sometime you have to light a match to get cooking lol I'm still waiting on the mail won't be long now!

Old 06-04-2013, 6:23 PM

[QUOTE=Mrdroidian;11491819]Thanks, it was 34 days for me, if I were you I would give amber Wong a call. Sometime you have to light a match to get cooking lol I'm still waiting on the mail won't be long now!

Called Amber today and she said give it another week to two. Guess I will just have to be patient.. Thanks!
Old 06-04-2013, 11:10 PM

Yes, patience is key! I'm still waiting on the mail myself so don't feel too bad!

Old 06-05-2013, 12:47 PM

Well I walked in for my issuance today and paid my last dues. I showed them my certification and got handed one right then and there . I was advised that they are now issuing them at the station . I d like to thank the folks here at Calguns and the Sr members for there support and input it really smoothed the transition keep up the great work , also would like to commend the folks at the Sac Sheriffs Dept , they were courteous and professional , never did I feel uncomfortable during the process . Good luck to all my fellow Calgunners
Old 06-07-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Yes, patience is key! I'm still waiting on the mail myself so don't feel too bad!

Great news! Got my approval via through email. Now I can rest on everyday email alert..

According to Amber stament: "All files are held for 30 days prior to any notice being made.. you should be notified within the next week or so.

Now off to live scan...
Old 06-12-2013, 8:13 PM

I got great news as well . I too received my approval and have set my appt for issuance! Got my money order ready! I took my training class prior to my interview, to knock it out and in hopes of being approved! All I need now is to sign my paperwork.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
I got great news as well . I too received my approval and have set my appt for issuance! Got my money order ready! I took my training class prior to my interview, to knock it out and in hopes of being approved! All I need now is to sign my paperwork.

Great to hear. How long did you wait for your appravol from live scan?
Old 06-16-2013, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Great to hear. How long did you wait for your appravol from live scan?
Well from the time I livescanned until I received my letter in the mail, about 3weeks 2days. I will say this Sacramento county is so unpredictable with notifications, some people get approvals in emails and some get snail-mail, I got snail-mail. But I'm al,st done just waiting for my issuance appt and then I think it's 1 final week for snail-mail then ill be complete! I do want to know of anyone has wisdom about liability coverage beside NRA, and USCCA?

Old 06-20-2013, 5:43 PM

Hey all, man first of all want to say thanks to all of our men and women in our armed services! Secondly, I recent returned from a little vacation getaway, yes I drove from California to Utah for 3 days of relaxation at the wendover,nv resort. So while I was there wifey gave me permission to drive to Salt Lake City and utilize my newly acquired utah ccw permit, I must say it was a beautiful yet less than attention grabbing feeling! I walked all over downtown Salt Lake City, even went to the mall and what I noticed was while I was concerned about printing there were some obvious ccw holders that were blatantly printing, but hey it's not my state. I had a good time and was proud to exercise my 2A rights Legally! Despite what people say , police in Utah do not run around stopping people for ccw carrying in fact the entire time I was there I saw 3 officers and i think one I saw twice so that doesn't count! LOL. Be safe all and Carry-On!