Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 11-17-2018, 5:22 PM

Default C&R Handgun transfer?

I'm purchasing a C&R handgun in a PTP transfer. For some reason I can't pick it up same day even though I have my FFL03 and CoE.

So it was basically a normal transaction as though I had no license, but I wan wondering if I still need to still report it through CFARS and pay another $19, or if it's just enough to put it in my logbook.

If I do have to report it, should I do that right now, since it's technically been transferred to me, or when I pick it up?
Old 11-17-2018, 5:33 PM

Default C&R Handgun transfer?

For a PTP aka “FTF” transfer of C&R handgun requires going through a FFL01. You will be DROS’d with the FFL so you don’t need to report it to CA DOJ. No payment of $19 req’d.

Also, as a FFL03 & COE holder you are legally able to take the gun home same day. You are also exempt from the 30 day wait on any and all hand guns.
Old 11-17-2018, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom_shooter View Post
For a PTP aka “FTF” transfer of C&R handgun requires going through a FFL01. You will be DROS’d with the FFL so you don’t need to report it to CA DOJ. No payment of $19 req’d.

Also, as a FFL03 & COE holder you are legally able to take the gun home same day. You are also exempt from the 30 day wait on any and all hand guns.
Ok. I've already done the DROS at the gun store, and basically there's no option for a 10 day exemption if it's PTP, so they have the gun. They thought they could do it but there's just no spot on the form to select "COLLECTOR," so they had to keep it.

I was just worried that I'd have to report it within 24 hours anyways because it's still a C&R gun.

My FFL03 doesn't make my life a lot easier in CA, but I'm glad it's not going to make my life harder at least.
Old 11-17-2018, 5:46 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

If the dealer would have called DOJ dealer helpline they could have gotten an override and released it to you. The other option was for them to process it is a dealer transfer.

Old 11-17-2018, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsilenced View Post
Ok. I've already done the DROS at the gun store, and basically there's no option for a 10 day exemption if it's PTP, so they have the gun. They thought they could do it but there's just no spot on the form to select "COLLECTOR," so they had to keep it.

I was just worried that I'd have to report it within 24 hours anyways because it's still a C&R gun.

My FFL03 doesn't make my life a lot easier in CA, but I'm glad it's not going to make my life harder at least.

Some dealers don’t deal with C&R licenses very often. Some would need to call it in and get guided how to do it. There is an option on the DROS form. They just need to look in an area they don’t look often.

I had a dealer use the FFL EZ check on me a month ago. Needless to say FFL03 licenses won’t show up. It even says that on the screen. I had to point that out as well.

Basically you’re at their mercy. I usually try to deal with my local FFL who knows things to avoid these types of situations. But, not always can if you’re out traveling to find that gem.
Old 11-17-2018, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Some dealers don’t deal with C&R licenses very often. Some would need to call it in and get guided how to do it. There is an option on the DROS form. They just need to look in an area they don’t look often.

I had a dealer use the FFL EZ check on me a month ago. Needless to say FFL03 licenses won’t show up. It even says that on the screen. I had to point that out as well.

Basically you’re at their mercy. I usually try to deal with my local FFL who knows things to avoid these types of situations. But, not always can if you’re out traveling to find that gem.
Where is it? It wasn't under the exemptions type drop-down, they showed me. It's too late for this gun, but if the situation comes up again I'd like to be able to tell them what to look for.
Old 11-17-2018, 6:08 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:

And though there is no need to report and send in $19, it still must be entered into your bound book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 11-17-2018, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsilenced View Post
Where is it? It wasn't under the exemptions type drop-down, they showed me. It's too late for this gun, but if the situation comes up again I'd like to be able to tell them what to look for.

I’m sorry I wouldn’t know. I been through this before and I had the DOJ on the phone and they walked them through it. I wasn’t able to see the screen.

Call DOJ next time or ask them to call their rep
Old 11-17-2018, 6:33 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I’m sorry I wouldn’t know. I been through this before and I had the DOJ on the phone and they walked them through it. I wasn’t able to see the screen.

Call DOJ next time or ask them to call their rep
AFAIK the option to release is not there for a PPT of C&R handgun. It is a ‘bug’ that they refuse to fix. The option to release is there if it is not a PPT.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 11-17-2018 at 6:41 PM..
Old 11-17-2018, 7:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have an unrelated but similar question.

If you're going to meet a non-03 citizen to buy a C&R rifle, can you just do that, and then log it into your book? Im talking within CA. Someone down the street wants to sell me a .22 from 1961. Do we have to legally involve anyone else aside from me filing the paperwork after?

Again, he's got no 03, but I do. And COE. I don't want to go to the LGS, cause they'll charge 75 and try to DROS it since they refuse to learn about 03s.

Last edited by General Kronstadt; 11-17-2018 at 7:27 PM..
Old 11-17-2018, 7:28 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kronstadt View Post
If you're going to meet a non-03 citizen to buy a C&R rifle, can you just do that, and then log it into your book? Im talking within CA. Someone down the street wants to sell me a .22 from 1961. Do we have to legally involve anyone else aside from me filing the paperwork after?

Again, he's got no 03, but I do. And COE. I don't want to go to the LGS, cause they'll charge 75 and try to DROS it since they refuse to learn about 03s.
Find a different FFL... $75 for a PPT is illegal. It's $35 and ONLY $35 is acceptable.

But to answer your question, being an 03FFL with COE, you can meet him in a parking lot and take possession. You do need to declare it for $19 and log it into your bound book.
C&R handguns must go through an 01FFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 11-17-2018, 7:37 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kronstadt View Post
I have an unrelated but similar question.

Yes, he can transfer it to you directly. PC27966

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=27966

Old 11-17-2018, 8:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks folks!