Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 11-12-2018, 5:16 PM

Default C96 Mauser Broomhandle parts Question

Hoping for some guidance from the C&R forum on C96 Mauser Broomhandles.

I am planning to acquire a C96, from what I have been able to find, I understand that if I am interested in actually firing it, I should check and/or possibly replace the bolt stop and springs. Are there any other parts (firing Pin perhaps) that I should consider replacing or make sure I have spares on hand?

I don't plan to shoot it very much but I would like to at least try it once or twice on occasion.
Old 11-12-2018, 5:21 PM

I’d definitely get a Wolff replacement spring kit. Maybe a new extractor as I had mine break.
Old 11-12-2018, 7:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The magazine spring broke on mine. Given the age of the piece you should just replace any and all springs.
Old 11-12-2018, 7:50 PM

Check to see who the importer was. I think Century and a few other importers took 7.63 Broomhandles and lined the barrels to make them into 9mm red nine copies.
Old 11-13-2018, 1:03 AM

Out the 7 ive had the only issue ive had is a weak recoil spring, so id recommend getting a spring kit from wolff. Ive never had issues with bolt stops, extractors, or firing pins, but all of which are common or repros are made if you do.
Old 11-13-2018, 7:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Replacing springs is always a good idea, especially on an older gun of unknown heritage. I have a couple C96 Broomhandles and while one is totally original, the other has a spring set and has been relined.
Old 11-13-2018, 8:23 AM
Veteran Member

Make sure whatever broomhandle you decide to get has a functioning trigger group as the parts in it are very complicated and any misalignment or mismatched parts could cause sear engagement issues or dead trigger issues - both of which I've seen and would be difficult to fix unless you have a bin of parts you can mix and match parts until it works. Even better if you can have the broomhandle in your hand and test out the trigger and make sure it properly resets and engages and disconnects when firing before committing to buy. If it is an all matching gun, then it should be OK from back when the gun was first made in the Mauser factory assuming none of the parts are actually broken or overly worn. The broomhandle is a fascinating, if not temperamental, mechanical contraption.

Also make sure whatever broomhandle you're looking at has a non-cracked bolt stop and the metal behind the bolt stop on the reciever extension is not cracked or bowed out in any way as that would indicate over pressure ammo and/or worn out springs have been shot through the gun which could jeopardize the strength of the action. You wouldn't want the bolt shearing through the reciever under full recoil - could be very dangerous.
Old 11-13-2018, 6:17 PM

Thank you everyone!
Old 11-13-2018, 6:33 PM

Also take off the grips and make sure the grip frame isn't badly corroded. It is a slight grip frame to start out with. I've come across quite a few that were in bad shape. You don't want the pistol breaking off in your face when you fire it. Sarco used to sell an aftermarket grip frame, but it's been a while.