Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 10-22-2018, 4:52 PM

Default SD Sheriff lifted CCW restriction

May be old news but I just heard today that SD Sheriff lifted restrictions on their ccw holders permits. I immediately called one of the girls in the office to verify. Sure enough, its true. It still takes a visit to the office and $10 to issue new card with no restriction (also have to fill out a form and give a reason, but new card is issued immediately). Restriction on mine states "BUSINESS RELATED PURPOSES." I will be very happy to have that off of my permit for obvious reasons.
Old 10-22-2018, 5:20 PM

SD is good (enough) cause now?
Old 10-22-2018, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asymmetricalwarfar3 View Post
Negative.

What he is saying is that they no longer issue licenses that restrict carry only when you are at your place of business or on the job.

You still need GC above self defense.
Old 10-22-2018, 6:01 PM

Ah...."restrictions" missed that....I guess I'll keep dreamin....
Old 10-22-2018, 8:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Ah...."restrictions" missed that....I guess I'll keep dreamin....
Um...guys...go checkout the SD Board, the SD County Gun Owners website, and the thread below. SD Sheriff has actually loosened things up a bit and is issuing more permits than they have in decades.

The three primary "good cause" reasons seem to be...

1) A credible and verifiable threat (like a restraining order)

2) A verifiable work related reason. Something that puts you at greater risk than the "normal citizen." So like if your profession has you dealing with large sums of cash, valuables, etc., or if you're a real estate agent dealing with unknown clients or in and out of the bad parts of town, etc.

3) You frequent parts of the county/state where cell coverage is sketchy and/or where police response time may be delayed. So this could be if you hike or camp in remote areas or any other legitimate reason that you can reasonably substantiate.

SDCGO has a lot on their website that further explains what is going on and the best way to approach all this so I'm not going to recap it all here.

Is it "shall issue?" Nope. But it's the loosest I've seen in my 52 years in this city. And you do appear to have a pretty reasonable chance of getting a permit if you follow the guidelines.

Note that there is about a six month wait for your first interview appointment. So I would call and get that scheduled immediately. You'll have plenty of time to learn what to do and how to prepare your application.

Good luck! And may the odds be ever in your favor.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1400940

Fighter Pilot
Old 10-22-2018, 8:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
No, but the average law-abiding gun owner, if they apply themselves to working on their Good Cause statement and heed the advice of San Diego Co Gun Owners, can get a CCW. See: https://sandiegocountygunowners.com/ccw/

That's why SD Co was switched to "light green" on the CA CCW GC map about half a year ago.

Every month, the SO's CCW "counter" shows more and more people getting issued CCWs. Currently, 1758. The counter is usually updated early in the last week of the month (e.g., next Mon or Tues).
https://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

Last edited by Paladin; 10-22-2018 at 9:01 PM..
Old 10-24-2018, 5:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Every month, the SO's CCW "counter" shows more and more people getting issued CCWs. Currently, 1758. The counter is usually updated early in the last week of the month (e.g., next Mon or Tues).
https://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html
Well, I was wrong about that! The CCW counter has been updated: current total 1858 due to another 100 CCWs being issued in the past month.

More at: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...php?p=22260181
Old 11-04-2018, 7:14 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

When I renewed back in April, I had heard about this and asked the clerk to remove my restriction. She handed me a blank page of paper and said “please state your reason”. I gave my reasons and she took the page to the supervisor. She returned and said “ok” and issued my permit without restriction.

Request it and give a good reason.
Old 11-04-2018, 8:05 AM

I went in the next morning after my initial post here to have it removed. They (now) have a "restriction removal" form to fill out and sign. Listed 5 or 6 reasons bullet point style, signed it and got my new permit (+$10 re issuance fee).
Old 11-10-2018, 6:15 AM

Default Restrictions Removed

Thanks to this forum and the great advice form it's members. I stopped by the SDSD yesterday morning 8am. Requested restriction of "Business Purposes Only" be removed from my license. When asked to state on their form my reasons, I stated as a self employed businessman I am permanently conducting business. $10 and 30 mins later I left with duplicate of original without restrictions. I must say the ladies their couldn't be more helpful!

Just as an FYI for other San Diego CCW Holders, they told me to make an appointment for renewal no later than 30 days from my license expiration date.
Old 11-10-2018, 7:54 PM

thank you for posting this map. It's appreciated.