Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 09-10-2018, 10:23 AM

Default My EMP sux, so now I need a third permit gun.....

UPDATE #2: EMP STILL HAS ISSUES... NO LONGER NEED RECOMMENDATIONS FOR ALTERNATE GUNS.

My EMP has issues (stove pipes, FTE, doesn't hold open after last round) so I don't feel she's worthy of being the 3rd in line back up gun any more. What should my choice now to replace her? I have a glock 19 available (but it's pretty thick) or hubby's shield, or I could buy something brand new (but on roster, as I'm too cheap to pay off roster prices).

UPDATE: THE EMP IS ALREADY BACK AT SPRINGFIELD. THE QUESTION WASN'T WHAT TO DO WITH THE EMP... BUT WHICH GUN SINCE THE EMP WASN'T REALIABLE?????

Last edited by pink_toaster; 12-20-2018 at 10:20 AM..
Old 09-10-2018, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

Does it have issues with the all ammo or just one brand?
Shield is a great choice.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Sent an EMP back to SA 5yrs ago, came back perfect, only gone for two weeks. they paid both ways.

EMP is issue free to date, just send it back, you'll be happy again with it IMO.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_Dog View Post
Does it have issues with the all ammo or just one brand?
Shield is a great choice.
different ammo.....
Old 09-10-2018, 11:26 AM

Send it back to the mother ship. I had my ejector pinned - took 15 days round trip they paid shipping and insurance both ways.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linehand131 View Post
Glock

/thread.

But seriously, what are your primary pistols on your permit?
You can find a G42 now for ~ $650; G43 for ~ $800
sig P238 and cz P-01
Old 09-10-2018, 12:11 PM
Calguns Addict

send it back and if its still bad get a shield.
don't try to find a used still overpriced g42 or g43...
shields can be found easy half that price and are same or better than them
Old 09-10-2018, 12:13 PM

Send it back. Springfield has great customer service and you'll get it back problem free.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:18 PM

I refuse to pay the price that people extort for off roster guns.

I do plan to send the EMP back... However I don't trust it and I don't want to waste a spot on my permit. It's a third in line back up... but if I don't/won't trust the gun then I might as well leave the spot blank.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango_Down View Post
Send it back. Springfield has great customer service and you'll get it back problem free.
Not necessarily.... They didn't fix my 9mm 1911 loaded.... worked a couple of times after I got it back and started doing the same crap. I don't trust Springfield guns anymore. That's two of theirs I've bought that I've had reliability issues with!

I could get it back and it could work fine a few times at the range... so I could decide to carry her... and that could be the day that some a-hole tries something and she could do her same crap of not working. NOT.WORTH.IT!

I'll send her back... get her "fixed" and she'll just be a range toy.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:42 PM

Alan Tanaka told me the smaller 1911s get the less reliable they are. He knows a thing or two about 1911s. Even so, the fit and finish on my government sized SA Loaded sucks. I won't by another Springfield. Let alone an EMP.

Last edited by Nick Adams; 09-10-2018 at 12:48 PM..
Old 09-10-2018, 12:43 PM

send it back, most stove pipes are caused by how you grip the firearm, if you don't have issues with one brand of ammo, stay with that..FWIW, I carried a 3" 1911 SA for years, I never had an issue with fte or otherwise...however if you lose confidence in a firearm, then perhaps it is time to change. SA makes some damn fine weapons and personally I've never had a issue with any of their 1911 product line......anyway good luck in your next choice

Last edited by inyocountymark; 09-10-2018 at 12:54 PM..
Old 09-10-2018, 12:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Shield or CW9.

Don't argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I don't respond to posts/posters that aren't worth responding to.
Old 09-10-2018, 1:36 PM

Get a Shield. They’re great for chicks.

Lol. Just kidding. They are great for anyone.
Old 09-10-2018, 2:47 PM

at least on of your weapons should be a wheel gun......like a s&w 442 38+p

they make a great back up, and they never fail......
Old 09-10-2018, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine mil thrill View Post
at least on of your weapons should be a wheel gun......like a s&w 442 38+p

they make a great back up, and they never fail......
True. We don’t know what the other two on her permit are, but the Ruger LCR is another great choice. I find it more comfortable to shoot than the S&W J Frames.
Old 09-10-2018, 3:02 PM

Cz Rami
Old 09-10-2018, 3:09 PM
Calguns Addict

This thread is a great reminder to not let ANY pistol land on your LTC without wringing it out first.
Sorry for your troubles OP. I'd drop kick that EMP after the repair and start over.
Still having 2 on your paper will in no way handicap you. Unless you...haven't wrung them out?

Sent using a long string and 2 used soup cans
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 09-10-2018, 4:21 PM
Veteran Member

If you're not inclined to stick to 9, the Sig P238 is an excellent deep concealment pistol. It's 1911 style, so you're used to it. It does, however, cost just as much as buying a used G42/43.

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom
Old 09-10-2018, 7:16 PM
Veteran Member

Need a new gun? Pssssss.... Glock, of course!!!!!!!

Actually, I'm with most everyone here. Have your EMP fixed. It is a great, sweet shooting pistol.

Have it fixed and practice a lot with it, and you'll be hitting dimes from 20 yards with your weak hand.

Last edited by caliberetta; 09-10-2018 at 7:18 PM..
Old 09-10-2018, 7:23 PM
Veteran Member

What ammunition are you running in it when this happens?
Old 09-11-2018, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inyocountymark View Post
send it back, most stove pipes are caused by how you grip the firearm, if you don't have issues with one brand of ammo, stay with that..FWIW, I carried a 3" 1911 SA for years, I never had an issue with fte or otherwise...however if you lose confidence in a firearm, then perhaps it is time to change. SA makes some damn fine weapons and personally I've never had a issue with any of their 1911 product line......anyway good luck in your next choice
Right.... which is why i'm asking for opinions on a third choice. Hubby does think it's me, not the gun (I have issues with any ammo we've tried).... but I have had issues with it from day one and I don't have the same issues with ANY other gun EXCEPT for the 9mm 1911 (both springfields). It really stinx because from the first time I held the EMP I was in love and HAD to have one. but then I bought her and shot her...
Old 09-11-2018, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsgunsandchics View Post
What ammunition are you running in it when this happens?
different.. whatever we happen to have. this past weekend it was blazer FMJ, I believe.
Old 09-11-2018, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliberetta View Post

, and you'll be hitting dimes from 20 yards with your weak hand.

Old 09-11-2018, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by code_blue View Post
If you're not inclined to stick to 9, the Sig P238 is an excellent deep concealment pistol. It's 1911 style, so you're used to it. It does, however, cost just as much as buying a used G42/43.
I already have the P238. I also have a CZ P-01. I consider the siggie my first choice because she's so easy to conceal. the CZ P-01 is my second choice for then my clothing choice allows.

I just wanted to have a third, since three are allowed and that has always been planned to be the EMP... I meant she's small and pretty! haha (yayaya... the pretty part doesn't count... no one ever sees her.) But since I don't trust her... I don't want to waste the spot for now!

I'm not a glock fan... HOWEVER, I did just buy a 19 for other reasons. I know that's a popular carry but it's a fat gun!. I also have access to adding hubby's shield, but I've never been a huge fan of it either. I could add one or the other of those as a back up. Or I could buy something completely different...
Old 09-11-2018, 7:04 AM
Calguns Addict

My advise, don't waste your money just yet.

Wait for your EMP to return, pick up 400rd of all different ammo, including your SD rounds, & shoot shoot shoot, if your still having issues, (I doubt you will) then an only then go spend the dough for what ever you think you need.

The only ammo wife's EMP hates is tula Brass, it's cheap ammo, & seems a little tight in chamber for the EMP, all others run great IMO.
Old 09-11-2018, 7:07 AM

My brand new EMP 3 is back at SA for same issues.

Sig needs to revive its P239. Might just be the most excellent CCW gun ever created.

I've never heard or read a negative word about Shield.

I do know that big calibers; e.g., .40 S&W & .45 Auto are not fun to shoot from lightweight guns. The most magnificent P239 has the precise weight and balance to tame recoil of 180 grain .40 S&W self-defense rounds.

This totalitarian state is hostile to individual liberty and complicit in denial of Americans' natural rights as enumerated in James Madison's Bill of Rights. Give me a reasonable and logical answer to why CA's politburo has denied sale of this: https://www.sigsauer.com/store/1911-...a-compact.html

What exactly is the ostensible function CA's Gun Gestapo? Was there an identified problem that it was created to eliminate? Can it prove that its existence has prevented a single harmful act? Or is it CA's Cheka of incremental firearm confiscation?

We need to force CA's Gun Gestapo to prove legitimacy of its existence.

The very mournful fact is even gun owners have bought into the big lie told very often that "reasonable" gun control would not burden lawful gun owners. Bait & switch: the agenda of Goebbelists is incremental gun confiscation.

I hope to God that CA tries to secede from the nation. It might be our only salvation. Lincoln's War of Northern Aggression was initiated over whether states had right to secede. There is nothing in the US Constitution that denies states secession. Lincoln made it up. And it wasn't a civil war. The South never wanted to seize control of the government of the USA. It merely wanted to secede. At least 2 million dead. For what? Anyway, Lincoln prevailed. States cannot secede. Hence, were CA to secede, President Trump could reconstruct it like the south was reconstructed. Hence, we might be able to have our rights and liberties restored by a US Army general who'd run the state while it were reconstructed.

Just my morning vent. I miss rights and liberties I had while growing up in So Cal. CA is a totalitarian occupied enclave of our foreign rulers. It was destroyed by the sinister agenda of cultural diversity. It has become its intended outcome: a Third World Nation s#!*hole.

Last edited by EMP3; 09-11-2018 at 7:16 AM..
Old 09-11-2018, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
This thread is a great reminder to not let ANY pistol land on your LTC without wringing it out first.
Sorry for your troubles OP. I'd drop kick that EMP after the repair and start over.
Still having 2 on your paper will in no way handicap you. Unless you...haven't wrung them out?

Sent using a long string and 2 used soup cans
Oh no! Siggie (P238) and the CZ P-01 are beyond AWESOME! I can outshoot jerry micelek with them (OK... not really... but in my dreams!) I absolutely love everyone about both of those guns!

(if I wanted to dress like the abomidable snowman... I could add my SP-01 as my third! but I need small cuz even the cz can't be worn with a lot of summer clothes!)
Old 09-11-2018, 7:09 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_toaster View Post
I refuse to pay the price that people extort for off roster guns.
Sunshine tax... Yeah, I paid $750 for a G43 and the LEO was kind enough to leave the original $380 price tag in it for me. But... it's a Glock and I shoot it well and it never fails. Very comfortable so there's never a day when I feel like carrying is a pain and therefore I leave the house armed no matter how I am dressed or what the weather is. There are somethings in life worth a few hundred bucks.

The EMP will be fine once you get it back.
Old 09-11-2018, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solanaco View Post
Cz Rami
can we even get that in kommiefornia?

if we're talking off roster... i'd be all over the cz P10C... but i'm too damned cheap to pay the off roster prices!
Old 09-11-2018, 7:17 AM

I've got an EMP and it was a bit picky about ammo for the first 500 rounds or so. I think eventually yours will work out too but you need to feel confident with your carry gun so probably better to set it aside for now and get something else. Keep shooting it and maybe you can add it later when (if) your confidence in it is restored.

The old "you're holding it wrong" doesn't fly with me. If a gun is so picky that it won't function because of the way you grip it there is something wrong with the gun, not the operator.

Since you already have a P238 look into a Kimber Ultra Carry II - it is very similar in size to the EMP but in .45; it is a little thicker through the grips though. If grip size is an issue you could put on a slim set. It is also about 2/3 the cost of an EMP. They come in fancier versions but I prefer the basic model with single-sided safety.

You might want to look at a J frame revolver - I suggest the 640 Pro. It has the best combat sights of any revolver I have ever shot.
Old 09-11-2018, 7:19 AM

A indicator of an EMP problem is off-center primer strikes. Primer strikes should be in the center of primers.
Old 09-11-2018, 7:25 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarosa View Post
Since you already have a P238 look into a Kimber Ultra Carry II...
We just sent my buddy's Ultra Carry II back to Yonkers for FTF issues with anything other than FMJ ammo. I love the feel of the gun, but jeeeeze it's no better than the EMP in that regard. Kimber admitted it's likely a feed ramp issue and they promised to take care of it... but it's still a 3" 1911 and there's no shortage of stories.
Old 09-11-2018, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano3467 View Post
Sent an EMP back to SA 5yrs ago, came back perfect, only gone for two weeks. they paid both ways.

EMP is issue free to date, just send it back, you'll be happy again with it IMO.
Good Morning, Dano,

Thank you for your encouraging post. I love the EMP. But a self-defense gun is useless if it's not 100% reliable. I'm praying that I'll have the identical good fortune that you've experienced.
Old 09-11-2018, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
... but it's still a 3" 1911 and there's no shortage of stories.
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones - mine eats everything.
Old 09-11-2018, 7:37 AM

Quote:

The old "you're holding it wrong" doesn't fly with me. If a gun is so picky that it won't function because of the way you grip it there is something wrong with the gun, not the operator.
I've decided you are my new best friend!
Old 09-11-2018, 7:37 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones - mine eats everything.
Another friend has a Colt Defender, I've never seen it fail. I know Ron hopes for the same with his UC II when he gets it back. It's sure a nice shooter but we couldn't get it to run through a magazine with HST or Winchester Ranger T.

Quote:
Yeah I agree with that too. You can't be worried about form if you happen to need a firearm to defend your life, you never know how and where you'll need to fire that thing.

Last edited by ACfixer; 09-11-2018 at 7:40 AM..
Old 09-11-2018, 7:40 AM

Good Morning ACfixer,

What caliber is your friend's Defender?

My friend has a .45 Auto shorty (3" barrel). Recoil of 230 grain bullets causes its muzzle to point skyward. Hence, I went 9MM shorty (EMP).
Old 09-11-2018, 7:44 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMP3 View Post
Good Morning ACfixer,

What caliber is your friend's Defender?

My friend has a .45 Auto shorty (3" barrel). Recoil of 230 grain bullets causes its muzzle to point skyward. Hence, I went 9MM shorty (EMP).
Dave's defender is .45 ACP probably from the 80's or early 90's if I had to guess on the year. I had heard of the 3" reliability issues and hence his was the first 3" 1911 I ever had a chance to shoot. Zero issues, ate everything.

Yeah, it's stout... Obviously the lighter a gun gets the more recoil you're going to feel.
Old 09-11-2018, 8:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_toaster View Post
can we even get that in kommiefornia?

if we're talking off roster... i'd be all over the cz P10C... but i'm too damned cheap to pay the off roster prices!
The RAMI is on the roster, I see them at gun stores all the time very easy to find. Its not a singlestack, its wider than a Glock 26 which I would take over a RAMI because it will be lighter and slightly cheaper and better sight picture. You probably want to stick to a singlestack like a Shield, Kahr, or P239. The Shield also has a manual safety if you want that feature.

Don't argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I don't respond to posts/posters that aren't worth responding to.

Last edited by California_Deplorable; 09-11-2018 at 8:27 AM..