Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 04-05-2016, 9:57 AM

I submitted my renewal app 20 days ago via email. Have not yet heard anything. At what point do I begin to be concerned? My permit expires Mid June so I have lots of time left, just wondering if there is a drop dead point where I should initiate contact?
Old 04-05-2016, 10:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I would call them to make sure they received your email, mine took a couple tries going through. Their attachment limit is 14mb and I had one bounce back, I reduced it to under 11mb and didn't get a bounce notice or a confirmation email it was recieved. Called 3 days later and they didn't have it. They did say if they got the email they would have responded that it was recieved, so if you didn't see an email response, I would give them a call. They can check by your name at the front desk. Took 2 more tries before I recieved a response via email that they had recieved it.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asus611 View Post
I submitted my renewal app 20 days ago via email. Have not yet heard anything. At what point do I begin to be concerned? My permit expires Mid June so I have lots of time left, just wondering if there is a drop dead point where I should initiate contact?
You're fine, mine took almost as long. With that said, it can be a little disconcerting. It's the luck of the draw who gets your file; how fast that person works, work load, etc. They're busy, but at the 30 day mark you'd certainly be fine to write and say "it's been a month and I'm checking on my status" or something similar.

EDIT: We haven't heard of anyone being denied, so not to worry.

Last edited by Doheny; 04-05-2016 at 11:52 AM..
Old 04-05-2016, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I mailed mine and took from 2-16-16 and approved on 3-16-16. So just give them time and I'm sure you will get a response soon.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2016, 11:53 AM

ahh, so we all meet again..

emailed Melissa last month for instructions and received a response next day..

finally got everything together this past weekend for email and received response the next day..

[also had to cut into two parts due to over size limit the first attempt]

I'm sitting right at the two month to expiration mark so still plenty-o-time..

thinking I might go ahead and set up an appointment for my 4hr with my FFL that was added to the list..

transferred about 50 guns for me over the years so we should get along pretty well

good luck everyone
Old 04-05-2016, 5:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Received my appointment for CCW renewal pick up. Early May.

FYI:
Bring original certificates + check/MO for $77.56

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 04-05-2016, 5:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteQwill View Post

FYI:
We probably need to surrender expired CCW and trade for the new one?

Old 04-05-2016, 5:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstnpete View Post

Probably. It's just like an amendment. You must surrender your old license.

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 04-05-2016, 6:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You sound like your in the same boat I am. Mid June expiration. At 95 days out, I took my class, filled out my forms and sent everything in. Took about 2 weeks for conditional approval and cleared to go train. I responded back that training was accomplished and resent a copy of the cert. Was told good going to the Lt. That was a couple of weeks ago, March 19 to be exact. I think since they know were good on time, there is no need to rush.

They have been so easy to work with, and so professional, I am not worried about. If I haven't heard anything my mid May, I might be more concerned.

Hang in there OCSD has been awesome.
Old 04-06-2016, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantar2 View Post
You sound like your in the same boat I am. Mid June expiration. At 95 days out, I took my class, filled out my forms and sent everything in. Took about 2 weeks for conditional approval and cleared to go train. I responded back that training was accomplished and resent a copy of the cert. Was told good going to the Lt. That was a couple of weeks ago, March 19 to be exact. I think since they know were good on time, there is no need to rush.

They have been so easy to work with, and so professional, I am not worried about. If I haven't heard anything my mid May, I might be more concerned.

Hang in there OCSD has been awesome.
My license expires 5/2. I sent my renewal application in on 3/4 and received my approval this morning in my email. Just a little over 4 weeks. Now to schedule training.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Nice!
Old 04-06-2016, 10:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Orange County Renewal - See Post # 25

Quote:

Yes.

Last edited by Doheny; 04-06-2016 at 12:06 PM..
Old 04-06-2016, 12:01 PM

As an update, I just got my conditional approval today 21 days between email and conditional approval.

What concerned me was that I didn't get the "thanks, application received" confirmation that others have gotten.

Rest easy guys/gals, OCSD is on top of it!
Old 04-06-2016, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
As an update, I just got my conditional approval today 21 days between email and conditional approval.

What concerned me was that I didn't get the "thanks, application received" confirmation that others have gotten.

Rest easy guys/gals, OCSD is on top of it!
Just be happy you have been approved. I never gotten an email either. But a phone call instead for approval. Congrats.

Old 04-06-2016, 4:33 PM

My CCW was set to expire the end of May. I requested renewal appointment via the online form on the OCSD website. I didn't hear back in 1.5 weeks, so I e-mailed Melissa. She told me there wasn't a renewal appointment and just sent me the renewal packet to complete. I e-mailed my renewal packet back Saturday, March 12 and got a email confirming receipt the following Monday. My entire renewal packet including supporting documentation was 39 pages. I just got my conditional approval today.
Old 04-06-2016, 5:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1OCTrojan View Post
My CCW was set to expire the end of May. I requested renewal appointment via the online form on the OCSD website. I didn't hear back in 1.5 weeks, so I e-mailed Melissa. She told me there wasn't a renewal appointment and just sent me the renewal packet to complete. I e-mailed my renewal packet back Saturday, March 12 and got a email confirming receipt the following Monday. My entire renewal packet including supporting documentation was 39 pages. I just got my conditional approval today.

39 pages? My GC fit in about 2/3 of the space provided on the app and the only supporting docs submitted were my training cert plus the utility bills and b/c they ask for.
Old 04-06-2016, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
39 pages? My GC fit in about 2/3 of the space provided on the app and the only supporting docs submitted were my training cert plus the utility bills and b/c they ask for.
My good cause statement was only three sentences. I just attached 3 months proof of large weekly cash deposits, corporate business documents, and communications I've had with law enforcement about criminal activity that is a credible threat.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2016, 9:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1OCTrojan View Post
My good cause statement was only three sentences. I just attached 3 months proof of large weekly cash deposits, corporate business documents, and communications I've had with law enforcement about criminal activity that is a credible threat.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Dang, that's a lot! Better too much then too little.
Old 04-07-2016, 7:04 PM
Veteran Member

So for those waiting, got word today on my inquire if there was anything else I needed to do. Current expiration date is mid June. Took training and submitted renewal request 10 March. Received a request for additional documentation a week later, submitted that night (Saturday) had great real time 10pm help from my investigator who apparently doesn't sleep. Received conditional approval and direction to take training which I pointed out was done. Package forwarded to Lt. Sent a request a couple of days ago to see if anything needed. Got reply I am approved as of the 29th March, will get an e-mail in a week or two to set an appointment for pick up. All is going well. Appears they are just spacing the work as I suspected they would.

You know I have been working with Gov't at all levels from the White House to city administrators for 35 years, and this team is better run than any group other than may a group at Tinker AFB. The attitude is first rate as well, and I am sure they are busy bees.
Old 04-07-2016, 7:29 PM

Quote:
So for those waiting, got word today on my inquire if there was anything else I needed to do. Current expiration date is mid June. Took training and submitted renewal request 10 March. Received a request for additional documentation a week later, submitted that night (Saturday) had great real time 10pm help from my investigator who apparently doesn't sleep. Received conditional approval and direction to take training which I pointed out was done. Package forwarded to Lt. Sent a request a couple of days ago to see if anything needed. Got reply I am approved as of the 29th March, will get an e-mail in a week or two to set an appointment for pick up. All is going well. Appears they are just spacing the work as I suspected they would.

You know I have been working with Gov't at all levels from the White House to city administrators for 35 years, and this team is better run than any group other than may a group at Tinker AFB. The attitude is first rate as well, and I am sure they are busy bees.
I submitted mine March 4th with the training Cert from TJ. I hadn't heard anything so I emailed them last week and got a confirmation they received my app. Mine expires mid June, so plenty of time left. Looking forward to using that sticky holster I bought from you at the Artemis renewal class.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:59 PM

Just got my "tentative" renewal email.

Was kind of surprised, really. My initial license was issued for "personal protection", and I really didn't think I had the kind of need OCSD was looking for. I guess I was able to articulate enough of a need.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock21sf View Post
I submitted mine March 4th with the training Cert from TJ. I hadn't heard anything so I emailed them last week and got a confirmation they received my app. Mine expires mid June, so plenty of time left. Looking forward to using that sticky holster I bought from you at the Artemis renewal class.
After reading some of the other threads, I appreciate OCSD even more. Other departments are working hard and trying, but give the OC Supervisors credit for giving the department the funding, and support, as well as the support authorizing the additional trainers (which has kept the price down as well as the wait) the public livescan vendors, and all.

What we need is either more local ranges, or a range that is willing to offer more CCW focused training and IDPA style events on a regular basis. Right now only Iron Sights in Oceanside seems to hold a weekly event on Thursday nights and two monthly Sunday competitions. Most people can't drive down to Oceanside unless they are in So. OC.

I love Artemis, but it's nice to handle your own gun under some type of pressure.
Old 04-08-2016, 4:46 AM

OC Indoor range - I saw that too. I will never go there again. It is a pretty crappy range anyway.
Old 04-08-2016, 7:18 AM

Quote:
>snip

I find it amazingly refreshing. Frankly, I've never seen a government agency work like these folks!

RE: OC Indoor - they are just up the street from me so we've been there a few times. They are always friendly and helpful, I have no qualms with them there. Evidently there have been issues with CCW carriers so they just don't want carry firearms walking in. Oh well, not the end of the world - I don't feel compelled to bring my carry gun with me to walk into the place. What is it about that that bothers some so?

Last edited by Browneye; 04-08-2016 at 7:25 AM..
Old 04-08-2016, 8:41 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
I find it amazingly refreshing. Frankly, I've never seen a government agency work like these folks!

RE: OC Indoor - they are just up the street from me so we've been there a few times. They are always friendly and helpful, I have no qualms with them there. Evidently there have been issues with CCW carriers so they just don't want carry firearms walking in. Oh well, not the end of the world - I don't feel compelled to bring my carry gun with me to walk into the place. What is it about that that bothers some so?
Honestly because I don't want to disarm to go into a gun range. Most the ranges with the exception of Iron Sights have a problem drawing from concealed. Most make an exception for LEO's and CCWs to carry. the catch 22 is that they don't want you drawing.

The bigger problem is that ranges that welcome CCW still don't want you going to line and drawing except at specific times for some, but they also don't provide safe zones for you to unload your carry weapon to take it to the line, and then to reload before you leave.

A place that makes it's money off of pistol shooting should have provision for CCWs. There position makes sense for the staff, and the safety of the store, but could be just as easily handled with a safe area. On the other hand if I am not shooting my CCW weapon on a given day, no one has to know I have it on.
Old 04-08-2016, 9:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Honestly because I don't want to disarm to go into a gun range. Most the ranges with the exception of Iron Sights have a problem drawing from concealed. Most make an exception for LEO's and CCWs to carry. the catch 22 is that they don't want you drawing.

The bigger problem is that ranges that welcome CCW still don't want you going to line and drawing except at specific times for some, but they also don't provide safe zones for you to unload your carry weapon to take it to the line, and then to reload before you leave.

A place that makes it's money off of pistol shooting should have provision for CCWs. There position makes sense for the staff, and the safety of the store, but could be just as easily handled with a safe area. On the other hand if I am not shooting my CCW weapon on a given day, no one has to know I have it on.
If I am going to shoot my CCW firearm, I switch to my backup CCW and carry the primary into the range in a lock box.
Concealed means concealed.
Old 04-08-2016, 9:52 AM

Quote:

Submitted mine 3 weeks ago and got a "thanks" response right away.

Haven't heard anything since, may email them Ina week if I don't hear anything.

Expires June 17th
Old 04-08-2016, 9:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post

Not sure if serious.

Their policy makes them no different than any of the other CCW haters out there. Lately all I've been shooting is my carry guns and I always have one on me. With there policy I'd have to take it off in the parking lot or not put it on before leaving home. That's something I choose not to do. I've been to that range a few times after stopping by ProForce. I won't be going there anymore and I think all CCW'ers should speak with their feet and do the same thing.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:06 AM

Yes, it was a serious question, and answered seriously.

I'm sorry, I didn't question their policy or their reasons for it. It's not a concern for me. Evidently it is for you then you've decided it's untenable and cannot patronize them.

Seems all good to me. <shrug>

Oh, and I don't see them as 'ccw haters', in fact, their personnel do range qualifying for CCW applicants. And they are all for CCW carry.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:15 AM

Default Orange County Renewal - See Post # 25

Why get upset with them? Their policy is no different than Walgreens and some Target stores.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut714 View Post
Why get upset with them? Their policy is no different than Walgreens and some Target stores.
Winner!
Old 04-08-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA5177 View Post
Submitted mine 3 weeks ago and got a "thanks" response right away.

Haven't heard anything since, may email them Ina week if I don't hear anything.

Expires June 17th
Mine expires 2 days later on June 19th.

Sent Email w/ PDF attachment of application on 3/14 - some 26 days ago. I did get a prompt recognition of receipt the same day (in seven minutes to be exact), but as yet no response on approval or not.

I too will wait another week before asking status.

Sent to Melissa w/ a cc to ccwpermits (response was from ccpermits.

Still a bit more than 2 months - so plenty of time.
Old 04-08-2016, 2:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

FYI:
I am still waiting for an email for a pickup date. My expiration date is May 20.16.

Old 04-08-2016, 2:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I am still waiting for an email for a pickup date. My expiration date is May 20.16.

I would email them 30 days out. I randomly got an email late at night with appointment time. The email itself is a confirmation of your appointment, there is no picking a date, unfortunately.

However, in small print on the email: If you wish an earlier date, we may accommodate you at your request.

Old 04-08-2016, 2:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I would email them 30 days out. I randomly got an email late at night with appointment time. The email itself is a confirmation of your appointment, there is no picking a date, unfortunately.

However, in small print on the email: If you wish an earlier date, we may accommodate you at your request.
Good idea. So around April 20th. I will send them an email. Because they called me when I was approved and no email sent.

Last edited by Mstnpete; 04-11-2016 at 8:29 AM..
Old 04-08-2016, 7:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedTexan View Post

Sent Email w/ PDF attachment of application on 3/14 - some 26 days ago. I did get a prompt recognition of receipt the same day (in seven minutes to be exact), but as yet no response on approval or not.

Have you completed your training?
Old 04-09-2016, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedTexan View Post

I sent mine about a week after you and copied Melissa also. She sent me a "thanks" and that's all I have heard.
Old 04-09-2016, 6:44 AM

Quote:
I haven't completed my training either but haven't been instructed to yet either.

I plan on doing it anyway once I get back in town next week and email it in to mellisa to hopefully get the ball rolling.
Old 04-09-2016, 9:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA5177 View Post
I haven't completed my training either but haven't been instructed to yet either.

I plan on doing it anyway once I get back in town next week and email it in to mellisa to hopefully get the ball rolling.
Yep, my recommendation is get the training done and send the cert as a tickler.

I think for most of us, getting the training cert and submitting it with the renewal is the best way to go. Unless of course you have picked up 5 speeding tickets or gotten a prescription for weed.
Old 04-11-2016, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Not yet. Haven't even signed up yet.

In my Email to OCSD I stated that I would wait for conditional approval before taking the renewal class. Nothing has changed from when I was first issued 2014 till now (not even pulled over by a cop - same house etc.) My concern of course is my 'expanded' good cause might be weak or missing documentation (put down a few reasons - none documented with third party documentation)....... one of the reasons was that I had a co-worker go 5150 on us - and that person knows where I live and the route I normally take home.

If I don't hear back soon, I think I will book the 4 hour renewal course in the unlikely event that they become full. I took it at FTA last time (only one of three that were on the approved list). More training is better than less. ;-)

This time around I'm thinking TJ @ Allsafe.