Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 11-17-2018, 6:14 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

The replies show why this sub is complete dog chit. Buncha nimrods in here.

Old 11-17-2018, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post
If I thought I needed a backup gun, I'd move to another neighborhood.
okay Bro, I bet you vote democrat - lol
Old 11-17-2018, 10:07 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
If I thought I needed a backup gun, I'd move to another neighborhood.
I hope I never need a backup gun.
I hope I never need my primary gun.
But I can't foretell the future, so I'm not going to take the chance on "thinking I won't need...."

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

I carry a G lock 22 mexican carry sometimes but always at least in truck. I've found that for road trips or if you're a prof driver an ankle J frame gives great accessability that you don't have with a larger gun. Too much for Qday. You could rig a bigger gun to the under dash area but I'm not that motivated. I think that most people new to carry will carry less guns and less frequently after the novelty wears off. I with I hadn't brought a dozen of the holsters I have procured in the last 30 years.
Old 11-19-2018, 7:52 AM

I will not even respond to the people saying if you need more than 31 rounds, you have a problem other than to say you never need more than that until you do.

I generally carry my xd(m) compact .45 with a 9 round mag plus one extra 9 round mag. There have been times where I have carried extra mags. Usually, the only time I carry an extra gun if when my wife wants to have a drink and I carry hers as well. This is simply because carrying a second one is not comfortable.

However, I will certainly not judge anyone for carrying more than that. As echoed by other people in this post, anything on the ankle is not comfortable at all!

However, if you choose to do one, I would carry an extra gun over 2 more extra magazines. An extra gun gives you an option if you have a major malfunction with your first gun (such as a squib load) in a self defense situation. I think that is more likely than needing an extra 20 rounds (based on what you already carry).

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

Classes are held statewide

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 11-24-2018, 9:50 AM

Sig 238 on the ankle 6+1
Primary IWB 3:45 10+1 and 1 extra 10round mag on the belt 0900

Total of 28 rounds light and easy to carry and 100% piece of mind

But if it comes down to carrying either an extra mag or Bug definitely carry the extra mag in case of a malfunction

Last edited by mtsul; 11-25-2018 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 11-24-2018, 10:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guninator View Post
This is so ridiculous. The average citizen is more likely to be struck by lightning than to actually get into a shooting. And more likely to be struck by lightning 3 times than need to get off 10 shots. And more likely to win the lottery after being struck by lightning 3 times than to need to do a tactical reload. And more likely to catch Ebola Zaire after winning the lottery after being struck by lightning 3 times than to need to do a tactical reload with his sights on his belt because his left arm is disabled (that criticism of sights that you can't tac-reload with is particularly ludicrous).

Backup gun LOL. You're all 1000X more likely to be killed in a car accident and you probably all drive too fast and text when you shouldn't. DOUBLE BACKUP SEATBELT??!?! LOL.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS. QFT.

The majority of police officers never even use their sidearm on duty during their entire career. Any U.S. civilian who thinks they need an EDC backup gun might be better served seeking treatment for an out of control OCD Walter Mitty disorder.
CRPA Member

....."He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

Declaration of Independence, 1776
Old 11-24-2018, 10:10 AM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS. QFT.

The majority of police officers never even use their sidearm on duty during their entire career. Any U.S. civilian who thinks they need an EDC backup gun might be better served seeking treatment for an out of control OCD Walter Mitty disorder.
Hate to break it to ya hero worship, police are "US civilians."
Old 11-24-2018, 11:25 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS. QFT.

Police are also generally not the victims of armed robbery and carjacking. If they are physically assaulted, it is generally in the line of duty and they have backup with less-lethal options.

And perhaps the majority of police officers never actually USE their sidearm, but they do DRAW them frequently.
The difference is, when an officer draws but does not fire, there is no report. If a private party draws and does not fire, they have to report it.

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 11-24-2018, 7:35 PM

Quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS. QFT.

Tapockita-pockita-pockit...pocket..pocket holster..pocket carry.. pocket gun! A gun in every pocket!
Old 11-24-2018, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
If you need to have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen, garage, and car, perhaps you should consider hiring a personal fireman.
Because fires in your kitchen, garage and car are as uncommon as self defense shootout situations, right?

If I ever live in a situation where I feel I need 50+ rounds to feel properly armed, well, then I'm probably going to give some thought to moving.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:42 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eureka1911 View Post
Because fires in your kitchen, garage and car are as uncommon as self defense shootout situations, right?

If I ever live in a situation where I feel I need 50+ rounds to feel properly armed, well, then I'm probably going to give some thought to moving.
For me, the extra mags are not about capacity, they are about malfunction management.
Sometimes tap-rack-bang doesn't work.
Yes, a mag change under duress is a SHTF situation, and the possibility of success is low... but it IS a possibility.
I'm fine with only carrying 14-20 rounds, most self defense situations are over in 3.

And I've never had a fire in the car/garage/kitchen/yard either.

Quote:
Old 11-24-2018, 10:58 PM
Banned

Full Conceal M3 Glock, 1 in each pocket, problem solved.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2018, 5:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by readysetgo View Post
Hate to break it to ya hero worship, police are "US civilians."
There is a new invention called a 'dictionary'. You can look it up. It provides definitions of words. Words mean things.

"ci·vil·ian
/səˈvilyən/
noun
noun: civilian; plural noun: civilians

a person not in the armed services or the police force.
synonyms: noncombatant, nonmilitary person, ordinary citizen, private citizen; informalcivvy
"family members and other civilians were quickly evacuated from the post"
informal
a person who is not a member of a particular profession or group, as viewed by a member of that group.
"I talk to a lot of actresses and they say that civilians are scared of them"

adjective
adjective: civilian

of, denoting, or relating to a person not belonging to the armed services or police.
"military agents in civilian clothes"
synonyms: noncombatant, nonmilitary person, ordinary citizen, private citizen; informalcivvy
"family members and other civilians were quickly evacuated from the post"
CRPA Member

....."He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

Old 11-25-2018, 5:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Police are also generally not the victims of armed robbery and carjacking. If they are physically assaulted, it is generally in the line of duty and they have backup with less-lethal options.

And perhaps the majority of police officers never actually USE their sidearm, but they do DRAW them frequently.
The difference is, when an officer draws but does not fire, there is no report. If a private party draws and does not fire, they have to report it.
Exactly right. Which is a compelling reason to carry ONE primary firearm as a defensive weapon.
CRPA Member

Old 11-25-2018, 6:36 AM

Quote:
For me, the extra mags are not about capacity, they are about malfunction management.
Sometimes tap-rack-bang doesn't work.
Yes, a mag change under duress is a SHTF situation, and the possibility of success is low... but it IS a possibility.
I'm fine with only carrying 14-20 rounds, most self defense situations are over in 3.

And I've never had a fire in the car/garage/kitchen/yard either.

The same reason why I carry extra mag. It’s not for the extra rounds but in case of malfunction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2018, 7:09 AM

Here's a pretty good pro/con on the topic. Short version - only you can decide for yourself.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:58 AM

California has 40 million people. about 110,000 have a CCW. Assume for the sake of simplicity that 80,000 of those actually carry, that's 0.02%.

That's 1 person out of 500.

Of those, very, very few, will ever use their gun in a CCW scenario. Let's assume it's 1%, so 800 people. Of those perhaps 0.1% will ever need to fire more than 3 or 4 shots.

Hence the odds of needing a second firearm handy are astronomical for us Californians. Things may be different in the slums of Bogota, Tijuana, or even Chicago, but not here. If there should be any restrictions on CCW, it should be that only one gun can be carried at any given time. Those civilians who carry two guns out of fear that they are outgunned in a gang fight should not have a CCW to begin with.

I've learned to stay away from trouble whenever possible. If I expect trouble, I don't go there. If I encounter trouble where not expected, I try to get the hell out of there. For business purposes, I carry thousands, often tens of thousand of dollars cash on me, and I'm a 61 year-old dude. I cannot conceive a situation where I would need more than one gun to survive my daily routine, short of a mass shooting event. If I were to plan for something like that, i'd live a sorry life.
Old 11-25-2018, 5:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Hesekiel View Post
If there should be any restrictions on CCW, it should be that only one gun can be carried at any given time. Those civilians who carry two guns out of fear that they are outgunned in a gang fight should not have a CCW to begin with.
...says the person that’s never needed a back up gun.

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 11-25-2018, 6:11 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Quote:
There is a new invention called a 'dictionary'.
"New" is exactly right disingenuous statist.

That little police bit wasn't there 20 years ago. I wonder why, could it be the NEW millennial statist agenda?
Old 11-25-2018, 6:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Hesekiel View Post
California has 40 million people. about 110,000 have a CCW. Assume for the sake of simplicity that 80,000 of those actually carry, that's 0.02%.

That's 1 person out of 500.
Your calculator broke. :-)