Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 11-14-2018, 7:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Cool So I took my CCW renewal class today....

Took my CCW renewal class today. Found out during the 1st 5 minutes that Gov. Jerry Brown changed the rules last Friday: renewing CCW holders now have to qualify with each gun they want listed on their CCW permit (in the past live fire qualification was not required for renewals, so I wasn’t planning on shooting today and I didn’t have all the needed guns, ammo, misc. shooting equipment with me) and now only 3 guns are permitted. On top of that, the educational handout stated that there was a $22.xx additional fee for each gun you wanted added to the permit. My current CCW permit has 4 guns listed, was planning on adding a 5th.

Adding to this frustration, with these very recent changes, the class instructors were only partially aware of the CCW permit change details. One of the instructors stated to me that the 3 gun limit was not part of Gov. Jerry Brown’s action, but that it was being made unilaterally by the Tuolumne County Sheriff.... which really frustrated me because I was told in my initial CCW permit interview by the sheriff officer conducting the interview that our Sheriff was a Constitutionalist. After personally contacting the Sheriff’s Office later that day to confirm all the CCW regulation changes, I learned that this wasn’t true. Our good Governor and his Sacramento Democratic friends are the sole reason for this latest eroding of our 2A Rights.

Please note, I have no ill feelings towards the organization that conducted my CCW renewal class today. I’ve taken multiple classes with them in the past and I will continue to do so in the future. They just got these latest regulation changes this week and were doing their best to educate themselves and their students. I’m also relieved (and very thankful) to hear that our Tuolumne County Sheriff didn’t add additional layers of regulation or cost to our already over regulated and costly 2A CCW Rights.

(Please note: I also posted this in the Tuolumne CCW specific area, but thought this might be of interest to folks outside of Tuolumne County)
Old 11-14-2018, 7:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

it was explained to me that the amount of guns you could list was determined by county, not state? that has changed now?
Old 11-14-2018, 7:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

From my experience today, it appears it has.
Old 11-14-2018, 7:51 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

There is nothing in the new law about the number of guns. It sounds like your issuing agency made a change to their policy. Three guns is the max number for many agencies, sadly.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01720180AB2103

Quote:
26165. (a) For new license applicants, the course of training for issuance of a license under Section 26150 or 26155 may be any course acceptable to the licensing authority that meets all of the following criteria:
(1) The course shall be no less than eight hours, but shall not be required to exceed 16 hours in length.
(2) The course shall include instruction on firearm safety, firearm handling, shooting technique, and laws regarding the permissible use of a firearm.
(3) The course shall include live-fire shooting exercises on a firing range and shall include a demonstration by the applicant of safe handling of, and shooting proficiency with, each firearm that the applicant is applying to be licensed to carry.
(b) A licensing authority shall establish, and make available to the public, the standards it uses when issuing licenses with regards to the required live-fire shooting exercises, including, but not limited to, a minimum number of rounds to be fired and minimum passing scores from specified firing distances.
(c) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), the licensing authority may require a community college course certified by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training, up to a maximum of 24 hours, but only if required uniformly of all license applicants without exception.
(d) For license renewal applicants, the course of training may be any course acceptable to the licensing authority, shall be no less than four hours, and shall satisfy the requirements of paragraphs (2) and (3) of subdivision (a). No course of training shall be required for any person certified by the licensing authority as a trainer for purposes of this section, in order for that person to renew a license issued pursuant to this article.
(e) The applicant shall not be required to pay for any training courses prior to the determination of good cause being made pursuant to Section 26202.
SEC. 2. If the Commission on State Mandates determines that this act contains costs mandated by the state, reimbursement to local agencies and school districts for those costs shall be made pursuant to Part 7 (commencing with Section 17500) of Division 4 of Title 2 of the Government Code.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 11-14-2018 at 7:54 PM..
Old 11-14-2018, 7:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Interesting.
Old 11-14-2018, 8:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
There is nothing in the new law about the number of guns. It sounds like your issuing agency made a change to their policy. Three guns is the max number for many agencies, sadly.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01720180AB2103
im in placer county and yes, i am stuck with 3.

my buddy is in el dorado though and told me they dont have a limit. he has 5 on his CCW.
Old 11-14-2018, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookoutlinn View Post
Took my CCW renewal class today. Found out during the 1st 5 minutes that Gov. Jerry Brown changed the rules last Friday: renewing CCW holders now have to qualify with each gun they want listed on their CCW permit (in the past live fire qualification was not required for renewals, so I wasn’t planning on shooting today and I didn’t have all the needed guns, ammo, misc. shooting equipment with me) and now only 3 guns are permitted. On top of that, the educational handout stated that there was a $22.xx additional fee for each gun you wanted added to the permit. My current CCW permit has 4 guns listed, was planning on adding a 5th.

Adding to this frustration, with these very recent changes, the class instructors were only partially aware of the CCW permit change details. One of the instructors stated to me that the 3 gun limit was not part of Gov. Jerry Brown’s action, but that it was being made unilaterally by the Tuolumne County Sheriff.... which really frustrated me because I was told in my initial CCW permit interview by the sheriff officer conducting the interview that our Sheriff was a Constitutionalist. After personally contacting the Sheriff’s Office later that day to confirm all the CCW regulation changes, I learned that this wasn’t true. Our good Governor and his Sacramento Democratic friends are the sole reason for this latest eroding of our 2A Rights.

Please note, I have no ill feelings towards the organization that conducted my CCW renewal class today. I’ve taken multiple classes with them in the past and I will continue to do so in the future. They just got these latest regulation changes this week and were doing their best to educate themselves and their students. I’m also relieved (and very thankful) to hear that our Tuolumne County Sheriff didn’t add additional layers of regulation or cost to our already over regulated and costly 2A CCW Rights.

(Please note: I also posted this in the Tuolumne CCW specific area, but thought this might be of interest to folks outside of Tuolumne County)
The bill was actually signed by Brown in September not last week.
It does not take effect till Jan 1, 2019 so there should not have been a need to have all your guns available.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 11-14-2018, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookoutlinn View Post
Took my CCW renewal class today. Found out during the 1st 5 minutes that Gov. Jerry Brown changed the rules last Friday: renewing CCW holders now have to qualify with each gun they want listed on their CCW permit
It's been like that in Sacramento forever and Jerry Brown had nothing to do with it.
Old 11-14-2018, 9:39 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYT View Post
im in placer county and yes, i am stuck with 3.
Me too. And we always had to qual with each gun, this law has changed nothing for us. I guess we can be thankful for that at least, it could be worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Special View Post
The bill was actually signed by Brown in September not last week.
It does not take effect till Jan 1, 2019 so there should not have been a need to have all your guns available.
It could be that issuing agencies are getting a head start, they do not have to wait. They can change their policy on a whim.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:14 PM

I have friends in Madera county that are allowed 10.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:07 AM

SD County is 3 and qual for each
Old 11-15-2018, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

My IA already requires me to qualify with each firearm to be listed. Imo I believe that each firearm to be listed should be qualified with. The amount of people Ive seen on the range and at courses that can’t shoot for sh— I mean 5yds and cant even keep shots on target barely missing the edge of the paper target. Barely familiar with their firearms etc. smh

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 11-15-2018, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

San Joaquin is 3 max. Need to qual with each.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:14 PM

Orange County... No limit
Old 11-26-2018, 4:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m98 View Post
...Imo I believe that each firearm to be listed should be qualified with. The amount of people Ive seen on the range and at courses that can’t shoot for sh— I mean 5yds and cant even keep shots on target barely missing the edge of the paper target. Barely familiar with their firearms etc. smh
Why should the rest of us be burdened by the few bad shooters? Using your logic no one should own a firearm because there are a few that go and shoot up schools etc..

It is a slippery slope if you are going to go for the worst case scenario for regulations etc..

If the CCW holder is so bad a shot and in the unlikely event of an encounter he/she shoots someone else instead of the perp, it is on her/him. Personal responsibility trumps nanny state in my view.
Old 11-26-2018, 5:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
My IA already requires me to qualify with each firearm to be listed. Imo I believe that each firearm to be listed should be qualified with. The amount of people Ive seen on the range and at courses that can’t shoot for sh— I mean 5yds and cant even keep shots on target barely missing the edge of the paper target. Barely familiar with their firearms etc. smh
Have you been on the roads, lately? Highways, city streets, even parking lots on Black Friday...or right after a good rain?

By your standards, everybody should be taking a driving test every two years, and they would have to be tested on each car they own/normally drive. The vehicles would be listed on the license. And it will all be controlled by the DMV.
Old 11-26-2018, 7:13 AM

Just renewed in Tulare County. First time we have had to live fire qualify, I have five on the new plastic CCW card listed on the back and it looks like there's room for another five.
Criteria was to fire one complete magazine or cylinder per weapon at seven yards and hit the target over 50% of each.
The "target" was a standard cardboard target backer about 20"x30" and hiting it anywhere counted as a hit. It was so easy that I qualified my tiny NAA .22LR.
Old 11-26-2018, 8:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks View Post
Why should the rest of us be burdened by the few bad shooters? Using your logic no one should own a firearm because there are a few that go and shoot up schools etc..

It is a slippery slope if you are going to go for the worst case scenario for regulations etc..

If the CCW holder is so bad a shot and in the unlikely event of an encounter he/she shoots someone else instead of the perp, it is on her/him. Personal responsibility trumps nanny state in my view.
Exactly! We do not need the government to hold our hands! I wonder how the other states have ever survived without all the other government regulation!

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

Classes are held statewide

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 11-28-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I agree 100%. My first class/qual, the person next to me had never shot the gun before, and was shooting the railroad ties that were 4 feet BELOW THE TARGET. Another one muzzle-swiped me. Three others could not put 1 of 6 on target at 10 yards! What if you/a loved one was standing near the bad guy when that CCW holder tries to shoot.
Old 11-28-2018, 2:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
I agree 100%. My first class/qual, the person next to me had never shot the gun before, and was shooting the railroad ties that were 4 feet BELOW THE TARGET. Another one muzzle-swiped me. Three others could not put 1 of 6 on target at 10 yards! What if you/a loved one was standing near the bad guy when that CCW holder tries to shoot.
And I disagree 100% for reasons stated in my post above. In your hypothetical situation with the bad guy I wouldn't trust majority of CCW holders (or even LEOs) as the qualifications are stupid easy and most guys' training (if there is any beyond shooting the gun a few times a year) goes out the window under stress anyway.

However, that does not mean we need to have real stringent tests to prevent people from getting CCWs. Again, it comes to personal responsibility.
Old 11-28-2018, 9:44 PM
Veteran Member

I dunno why you guys are whining about qualing with ur carry guns. According to ur logic every person has the right to be issued a DL is and considered a “proficient” driver. Get over it fellas. We are already screwed. Us peasants are already paying for our 2a rights. We try not to screw it up some more with idiots that dont know the difference from the muzzle to the back of the gun. It just helps weed out the morons. My guess is u guys dont do public ranges much. All it takes is one idiot to ruin ur day or end ur life or others

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 11-29-2018, 8:25 AM

Wait until Newsome and Co. put some "common sense" laws into place regarding CCW training.
Old 11-29-2018, 9:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I dunno why you guys are whining about qualing with ur carry guns. According to ur logic every person has the right to be issued a DL is and considered a “proficient” drivers
And using your DL analogy people would have to drive and qualify with every make of car before being able do drive a different car than the one they first passed a driver's test with.

And also pass a road test with every make of car they would drive every time they renew their license. I took one road test back in 1976 when I was in college for my initial license. Since then I have only taken the written exam for a multitude of renewals.