Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 10-31-2018, 4:10 PM

Default Some general gun activity/habit questions.

Just curious about a few of these topics, questions but kind of a survey too I guess. Feel free to reply to just one or all the following or add your own question.

1. How many of you carry a tourniquet? If you do, do you carry it on you when ever you carry your weapon? If you don't, why not? If you do, how do you do it and what kind. I have one I keep in my backpack that goes everywhere with me but I do not take it with me outside the truck or when in a store. Mainly because it is kind of big and awkward to find a comfortable place to keep it, maybe I need a better one.

2. Do you shower with your gun? I have to admit, when home. I rarely have my gun in the bathroom ever, maybe I should have one stashed in there. But when on the road and staying in hotels I always have mine on me or next to me. I take it in the bathroom when I shower and just wrap it in a small wash cloth to help cut down on the moisture it may get exposed to and set it on the nearest dry place within reach. Just me? I feel I do not want to get cornered in a hotel bathroom with nothing but my Johnson in my hand. If you do, how do you store it, in the open? covered in something?

3. For times when you are busy and do not get to go shooting for quite some time, how often do you clean your daily carry? Sweating on a gun is one thing. But if not sweating on it, what about lint, dirt/dust buildup?

4. Is there anywhere legal to carry where you feel uncomfortable carrying?

5. How often do you "Actually" get around to cycling your Defensive Ammo?

6. Public Toilets: Do you leave it in the holster on the belt, out of holster or gun and holster removed while you do your thing. If out or holster off, where do you put it?

7. Have you gotten CCW insurance?

8. Have you done any classes/training beyond your basic CCW class? I have not yet but will be doing so.

9. How long has it been since you last practiced with/fired your carry?

"A Holocaust survivor dies of old age, when he gets to heaven he tells God a Holocaust joke. God says, That isn't funny. The Old man tells God, well, I guess you had to be there."

Last edited by CaliforniaCowboy; 10-31-2018 at 4:16 PM..
Old 10-31-2018, 4:15 PM
Uhaul Enthusiast
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Old 10-31-2018, 4:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCowboy View Post
Just curious about a few of these topics, questions but kind of a survey too I guess. Feel free to reply to just one or all the following or add your own question.

1. How many of you carry a tourniquet? If you do, do you carry it on you when ever you carry your weapon? If you don't, why not? If you do, how do you do it and what kind. I have one I keep in my backpack that goes everywhere with me but I do not take it with me outside the truck or when in a store. Mainly because it is kind of big and awkward to find a comfortable place to keep it, maybe I need a better one.

I'm an Eagle Scout, I can make a tourniquet out of almost anything. I know there are limitations but that's life.

2. Do you shower with your gun? I have to admit, when home. I rarely have my gun in the bathroom ever, maybe I should have one stashed in there. But when on the road and staying in hotels I always have mine on me or next to me. I take it in the bathroom when I shower and just wrap it in a small wash cloth to help cut down on the moisture it may get exposed to and set it on the nearest dry place within reach. Just me? I feel I do not want to get cornered in a hotel bathroom with nothing but my Johnson in my hand. If you do, how do you store it, in the open? covered in something?

No, I don't shower with it, but it's on the counter...

3. For times when you are busy and do not get to go shooting for quite some time, how often do you clean your daily carry? Sweating on a gun is one thing. But if not sweating on it, what about lint, dirt/dust buildup?

Lint is a real issue, I Clean it every Sunday before Church. Perhaps I should shower with it instead.

No

I shoot it every other week

6. Public Toilets: Do you leave it in the holster on the belt, out of holster or gun and holster removed while you do your thing. If out or holster off, where do you put it?

It's never really an issue. Stays in Holster on belt. I'm not really worried about the guy in the next stall stealing a peek

YES

8. Have you done any classes/training beyond your basic CCW class? I have not yet but will be doing so.

Yes, Several Including an annual trip to Front Sight.

10 days

nnnn

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 10-31-2018, 4:31 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

^^^ Musty's answers are so close to mine that posting mine would be redundant. I crawl in attics and under houses etc... my piece gets a lot of lint and dust so I field strip it weekly. I carry a Glock 99% of the time so I don't worry that I need to do it more often.
Old 11-04-2018, 8:54 AM

Quote:

I don’t carry one 24/7 - but going to the range, training, etc I’ll carry a kit with me.

I have mine in a bathroom cabinet safe well above the reach on my children who inevitably sneak in when I’m showing. Personally I think guns should be in a safe or on you, but can understand if you live alone or with only adults.

I’ll wipe it down almost nightly since lint will stick to the lubed parts.

Honestly at family functions where I’m hugging people, it’s kind of awkward when a family member wonders what’s on your hip.

When the gun is newer, I’ll run it through pretty quickly. I’ll just cycle the ~20 rounds I carry when I go the range.

I leave it on the belt, never taking it off.

I got the insurance before I even got my CCW, since most cases will involve home defense.

Yes, and I wish I had a bit more time to do more. Honestly the people I’ve met (holster makers, law enforcement, etc) has been as valuable as the class itelself.

I get to the range every 7-14 days. I practice dry fire about 2-3 days a week for about 15 mins per as well.
Old 11-08-2018, 8:06 PM

1. How many of you carry a tourniquet? No. I'll get flame for this, but I'm usually within 200 feet of my vehicle's safety kit, or the plethora of them at work, or something else to MacGyver.

2. Do you shower with your gun? No. They don't like getting wet, although I'll admit every one of my handguns has laid on the floor of my bathroom at one time or another.

3. For times when you are busy and do not get to go shooting for quite some time, how often do you clean your daily carry? Once a month. Function check and practice at range, and lubrication.

4. Is there anywhere legal to carry where you feel uncomfortable carrying? "Gun Free" zones. I know its a lie.

5. How often do you "Actually" get around to cycling your Defensive Ammo? Not often enough.

6. Public Toilets: Do you leave it in the holster on the belt, out of holster or gun and holster removed while you do your thing. If out or holster off, where do you put it? On the floor at home, still in the holster, or on a higher surface in a public place like the toilet paper dispenser.

7. Have you gotten CCW insurance? What.

8. Have you done any classes/training beyond your basic CCW class? Yes, but I'm no expert. Had my BSIS permits in CA, PILB permits here in NV, and attended a POST academy in Northern California a few year back. You can never call yourself an expert because you'll learn something until the day you die. AS for CCW classes... Even in Nevada the classes are a joke. If the $50 ones made me cringe, I can't imagine what the free ones are like. Take things with a grain of salt because you'll run into opposing techniques and philosophies frequently.

9. How long has it been since you last practiced with/fired your carry? 4 hours.
Come ON. They will charge you for the KY jelly btw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munny$hot View Post
I love French rifles most "Brand new only dropped once"
Old 11-09-2018, 1:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Do you guys live in the projects? Get some locks for the front door.
Put your piece in your unters in between your ankles when using the lieu at Chevron.
Old 11-09-2018, 1:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Always be a member of a gun club and invest in a Dillon progressive reloading press to defray $. Join IPSC or IDPA for free training with some minor stress.
Old 11-09-2018, 6:34 AM

Quote:

1. Yes, I carry a tourniquet.

2. No, I do not shower with my gun.

3. Without shooting it, I will clean it within six months or so.

4. I never feel uncomfortable carrying. In fact, I feel uncomfortable without it.

5. I cycle my ammo every six months to a year.

6. I remove the holster with the firearm every time.

7. No ccw insurance, I carry as an off duty LEO.

8. Yes, I have taken many firearms classes. In fact, I'm a firearms instructor.

9. It has been approximately 1 day since I last trained with my concealed carry firearm.
Old 11-09-2018, 6:13 PM

Not on me, but I have a trauma kit in the truck that has 3. I don't obsess about them, and don't take them with me when I am going to be away from the truck for any period.

I do not.

I try to shoot once a month, and fully clean the carry gun after. Between range days, I inspect and clean as needed, usually after any time in a dirty/sweaty/dusty location

Nope - that went away after a few weeks with a CCW. Still, when in public, I discretetly double check my concealment whenever a LEO walks into the room.

Monthly-ish...

In the holster, on the belt.

Nope

Yes - moving and shooting, shooting from concealment, low-light shooting... more for fun than anything else.

23 days
Old 11-11-2018, 12:05 AM
Veteran Member

Yes. My shoe laces are my tourniquet. I feel like I’ll win the lottery before ever applying a tourniquet.

I have a gun with me at all times, including the bathroom. Didn’t you see Pulp Fiction???

I shoot once every other month or so. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I wipe my EDC gun(s) and do a lint check about 3-4 weeks.

Not yet.

Every time I clean my weapon, the ammo gets cycled so as not to chamber the same bullet over and over again, possibly causing a headspace or over-pressure problem.

I place my heater inside the pants pocket while sitting on a toilet. After I’m done “transferring” a Democrat politician to Santa Monica bay, I’ll then reholster in the kydex IWB. ...always washing my hands too.

Yes. It’s called “cheap-insurance.” I carry a second gun, “ensuring” that if my primary fails, I have a back-up.

Yes, all the time. Technically I never took a ccw class. Sworn LEO here, and I’ve been through a ton of firearms training and self (desert) firearms training.

1 month ago.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 11-11-2018, 5:57 PM

Regarding question #6: I use the stall with the toilet when carrying in public. Learned my lesson after stupidly revealing my revolver at a public rest stop somewhere between Weed, CA and Klamath Falls, OR.

Lucky for me it was a like minded guy that didn't care.
Old 11-13-2018, 1:10 PM

1. How many of you carry a tourniquet? No. I've got a belt though, if I need it.

2. Do you shower with your gun? No, but one is usually nearby. As silly of a thought as this is, it kind of makes sense. I live in the 'hood and I'm usually home during the day. Being in the tub or shower midday when the burglars are at work would leave me quite vulnerable so having a piece handy makes sense.

3. For times when you are busy and do not get to go shooting for quite some time, how often do you clean your daily carry? I function check my gun almost daily, but don't strip it down and clean it unless I shoot it.

4. Is there anywhere legal to carry where you feel uncomfortable carrying? No.

5. How often do you "Actually" get around to cycling your Defensive Ammo? I never do.

6. Public Toilets: Do you leave it in the holster on the belt, out of holster or gun and holster removed while you do your thing. If out or holster off, where do you put it? I leave it in the holster and put it on my chonies in a sort of gun hammock.

7. Have you gotten CCW insurance? No.

8. Have you done any classes/training beyond your basic CCW class? Not really.

9. How long has it been since you last practiced with/fired your carry? 2 weeks.
Old 11-13-2018, 2:00 PM

1. Don't carry one, but can fashion one good enough until EMS arrives. However I am looking for a tacmed training course that will let me deal with a multitude of traumas and I will buy/build a small trauma kit after that

2. No. I figure the probability of my needing my sidearm is highest outside of my home or hotel room and the probability is pretty darn low if I am in the shower and would need it. Does that mean I am not carrying when not in the shower but at home or in a hotel..... that is for me to know and the bad guy to find out the hard way

3. I shoot my carry gun monthly at a local combat pistol league. It gets wiped down after, reloaded and holstered. Actually cleaned 2-3 times a year max.

4. No

5. 2-3 times a year with 6 days a week of carrying. So far it has all still gone bang

6. With a good stiff gun belt and IWB holsters I leave it in the holster on the belt. Have yet to feel the need to pull it and put it someplace in the stall

7. Yes, CCWSafe

8. I shoot USPSA several times a month and also use my carry gun in a monthly combat pistol league.

9. See #8
Old 11-13-2018, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadside View Post
5. 2-3 times a year with 6 days a week of carrying. So far it has all still gone bang

What do you do on the seventh day?
Old 11-13-2018, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk23103 View Post
What do you do on the seventh day?
It's the day I'm at work and can't carry on the property
Old 11-13-2018, 9:34 PM

Quote:

I carry a full trauma pack in my truck, complete with tourniquets and all sorts of dressings. I’m ATLS certified with over 25 years of paramedic and ER experience including the past several years on a trauma service

No, but I have firearms very close by

I can’t think of a time I’ve gone more than a month without running at least a couple mags through all my CCW guns. But this does raise a good point

Nope

Varies, when I think of it really

I carry a clip-on IWB most of the time, so I unclip it and set it on the toilet paper roll usually

Yes, USCCA

Extensive handgun training over the years, also competed in USPSA competitions back in the day, looking to get started in 3 Gun if I can find the time

Last week, Tuesday