Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 11-05-2018, 2:59 PM

Default Ok to carry?

Can someone with an OC permit stop off at a bar that also serves food when on a motorcycle ride and legally carry? The person carrying isn't consuming any alcohol and it is a bar but also cooks food for purchase. I am assuming that it isn't legal to do so since the facility primarily serves alcohol but wasn't sure since they also have a food counter.
Old 11-05-2018, 3:07 PM

A decent, but probably not a 100% rule to go by is, open to all ages, gtg. 21 or over only, no go.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2018, 3:59 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

In general... type 47 liquor license ok, type 48 not. Info for every establishment available online and even if the name of the place is "Killer Bob's Biker Bar" if it has a type 47 license it's legally a restaurant and not just a bar.
Old 11-05-2018, 7:03 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

From the state ...
Quote:
One of the most common types of liquor licenses for restaurants is the California Liquor License Type 47. The Type 47 license is specifically designated for businesses that primarily serve food.The California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) states that, in order to be issued a Type 47 license, your establishment must be a “bona fide eating place.” Basically, this means that your business must generate at least 51% of all gross sales from food. Also, the food must be true, prepared food that you would find in most restaurants or cafes.
https://www.liquorlicenseagents.com/...cense-type-47/
and
Quote:
California Liquor License Type 48 licenses are typically issued for bars and nightclubs, or other adult venues where minors will not be present. The California Liquor License Type 48 permits the holder to serve liquor until 2:00 AM. The facility can only admit entry those 21 years of age and older. Unlike the Type 41 and Type 47 licenses, the California Liquor License Type 48 is designated as an on and off-premises license. Liquor, beer and wine may be sold for on-premises consumption, as well as beer and wine for off-premises consumption.
https://www.liquorlicenseagents.com/...cense-type-48/

... all of which I did not know until given the pointer to look it up - thanks!

Both not drinking and not being in a place that makes most of its money selling alcohol are requirements of the license - from the CCW app:
Quote:
While exercising the privileges granted to the licensee under the terms of this license, the licensee shall not, when carrying a concealed weapon:
• Consume any alcoholic beverage.
• Be in a place having a primary purpose of dispensing alcoholic beverages for on-site consumption.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 11-05-2018 at 8:17 PM..
Old 11-06-2018, 8:56 AM

Thank you gents for the clarifications. I learned a lot in the posts just now.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the informative responses!
Old 11-06-2018, 11:09 AM

I just looked up Cooks Corner in trabuco canyon and they have a type 47 license but the place looks a lot like a bar. I also know that you can bring your kids as well. I am assuming that it's fine based on that criteria?
Old 11-06-2018, 2:32 PM
Spent $299 for this text!

Here is where you can look up license info for an establishment:

https://www.abc.ca.gov/datport/LQSDBAQuery.html

It appears to be broken at the moment, though.

Quote:
We are experiencing intermittent technical difficulties with the LQS (License Query System) and looking into the cause. We apologize for any inconvenience.
This tool (which isn't broken) lets you view all the businesses in an area:

http://maps.gis.ca.gov/abc/lqs/

Old 11-06-2018, 2:38 PM

Interestingly, the 2 bars by my house, which I would have most definitely considered "bars", not "restaurants that also serve alcohol", because nobody goes to either of them for the crappy food, turns out they both have Type 47 licenses.

Crazy.

Wish I knew about this ABC license tip before. Thanks for the heads up! I had been avoiding carrying in a lot of different "bar and grill" type places for a really long time, just to be safe, and it turns out I didn't really need to play the guessing game after all.

Old 11-07-2018, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Here is where you can look up license info for an establishment:

https://www.abc.ca.gov/datport/LQSDBAQuery.html

It appears to be broken at the moment, though.
Try this?

https://www.abc.ca.gov/datport/lqs.html?screenid=14
Old 11-07-2018, 11:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphd View Post
I just looked up Cooks Corner in trabuco canyon and they have a type 47 license but the place looks a lot like a bar. I also know that you can bring your kids as well. I am assuming that it's fine based on that criteria?
Cook’s Corner discussion 2017
The important part of that thread
Old 11-07-2018, 12:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphd View Post
Can someone with an OC permit stop off at a bar that also serves food when on a motorcycle ride and legally carry? The person carrying isn't consuming any alcohol and it is a bar but also cooks food for purchase. I am assuming that it isn't legal to do so since the facility primarily serves alcohol but wasn't sure since they also have a food counter.
Are we talking California??? Who has an OC permit in California??

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 11-07-2018, 1:44 PM

Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
Are we talking California??? Who has an OC permit in California??
I may be wrong, but I made the assumption that the OP was referring to having a State of California - License To Carry A Concealed Firearm 'CCW' with the issuing agency being the (OC) Orange County Sheriff's Office...

But with this being on the internet, who knows without clarification by the OP. Maybe they meant OC as "Open Carry"?
Old 11-07-2018, 1:47 PM

You were correct, I was referring to an Orange County CCW Permit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt Leatherneck View Post
I may be wrong, but I made the assumption that the OP was referring to having a State of California - License To Carry A Concealed Firearm 'CCW' with the issuing agency being the (OC) Orange County Sheriff's Office...

But with this being on the internet, who knows without clarification by the OP. Maybe they meant OC as "Open Carry"?
Old 11-07-2018, 3:17 PM

I believe only if booze is less of the sales than food. also I think it may be dependant on the moment you are in there. Earlier in the day there may be more food being served than booze where you would be fine, but later that night it may be the other way round. No sitting at the bar at all even if not drinking. Has to be a table. At least that is the way I understood it. But I may be wrong.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

"A Holocaust survivor dies of old age, when he gets to heaven he tells God a Holocaust joke. God says, That isn't funny. The Old man tells God, well, I guess you had to be there."
Old 11-07-2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCowboy View Post
I believe only if booze is less of the sales than food. also I think it may be dependant on the moment you are in there. Earlier in the day there may be more food being served than booze where you would be fine, but later that night it may be the other way round. No sitting at the bar at all even if not drinking. Has to be a table. At least that is the way I understood it. But I may be wrong.

I believe you are wrong, about the time of day that you're there. The business either sells mostly alcohol overall, or they don't. What they sell more of at any given time of the day is irrelevant. Otherwise, how would you define a "time of the day"? A 1 hour window? A 5 minute window? A 10 second window? If you look over at the bar and see someone order a drink without food, do you have to take your gun back out to your car because of that transaction, and wait until someone places 2 food orders without alcohol before you can bring it back in?

Also, unless the bar section and the table sections are operating under separate business/ABC licenses, if you can be in one, then you can be in either one. It is not 2 establishments, it's one.

You're correct that you can't be consuming alcohol, though.

If you want to sit at the bar during happy hour, and just eat their nachos with an iced tea, you may. You just can't consume alcohol, and you need to be sure that most of their sales "overall" derive from non-alcohol purchases. The type of ABC license they have should make that clear, if there is any question, as discussed earlier in the thread.

Last edited by CandG; 11-07-2018 at 4:50 PM..
Old 11-07-2018, 4:03 PM

Does anyone have the ccw laws? I want to be �� complainant.
Old 11-07-2018, 4:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp5marley View Post
Does anyone have the ccw laws? I want to be �� complainant.
These laws? http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=388997

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-07-2018, 6:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCowboy View Post

The license applies to all hours of operation. If it’s a Type 47 food license, it’s always a Type 47 food license. It doesn’t vary with the sunrise/sunset.