Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 11-01-2018, 12:01 PM

Default Layover in NY

Hey Calgunners!
I'll be on trip to Nashville and the flight has a layover in New Jersey. Would that be a problem if I'm declaring a firearm from CA? The luggage is going straight to my destination.
As many of you know that NY is not a gun friendly place. I wonder if it's even worth trying to fly with a firearm.
Thanks in advance!
Old 11-01-2018, 12:06 PM
Calguns Addict

If you have a layover in New Jersey, how does NYC come into the picture?
Old 11-01-2018, 12:27 PM

I don’t see a problem since you’re not leaving the airport and the luggage is continuing to your final destination.

Have you checked with the airline though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2018, 1:43 PM

It depends on if your luggage will ever be in your possession or will it be transferred to your next flight by the airport personnel. If the luggage will be in your possession and you have to declare a firearm at security check in don't bring your firearm in either NY or NJ.
Old 11-01-2018, 1:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

If your luggage ever comes into your possession (for example, because of a flight delay, or for some other reason) - you may have problems. There's a lot of horror stories like that from those places.
Old 11-01-2018, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
If your luggage ever comes into your possession (for example, because of a flight delay, or for some other reason) - you may have problems. There's a lot of horror stories like that from those places.
That's what I am worried about. I don't want to be in a situation where I have to take the luggage and be around the airport with it.

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-01-2018, 1:56 PM

https://www.njsp.org/firearms/transport-firearm.shtml

You may want to check that site. NJ (unlike NY) at least recognizes FOPA. I have checked a gun at EWR with no issues before. I was also a LEO at the time, but that was never asked of me.

I do not think you will have any issues. However, I would not take possession of your bags if you get delayed in New Jersey.

Most of the horror stories I have seen come from New York. New York state police does not recognize FOPA. I have yet to see a horror story where FOPA would have actually applied, however.

My personal opinion is that you will be fine on a layover. However, please keep in mind that this is only my opinion. Unless someone is a NJ lawyer or police officer (and even that isn't perfect), you may get bad information.

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

Classes are held statewide

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 11-01-2018, 2:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Isnt NJ and NY a little out of the way from CA to TN?
Old 11-01-2018, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whites of Their Eyes View Post
https://www.njsp.org/firearms/transport-firearm.shtml

You may want to check that site. NJ (unlike NY) at least recognizes FOPA. I have checked a gun at EWR with no issues before. I was also a LEO at the time, but that was never asked of me.

I do not think you will have any issues. However, I would not take possession of your bags if you get delayed in New Jersey.

Most of the horror stories I have seen come from New York. New York state police does not recognize FOPA. I have yet to see a horror story where FOPA would have actually applied, however.

My personal opinion is that you will be fine on a layover. However, please keep in mind that this is only my opinion. Unless someone is a NJ lawyer or police officer (and even that isn't perfect), you may get bad information.
Thank you !
That's very nice of you with the link.
Old 11-01-2018, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestargrizzly View Post
Isnt NJ and NY a little out of the way from CA to TN?
Yes.
That's the only one I could get at that time. I really don't want to go through NJ but I have no choice.
Old 11-02-2018, 8:31 AM

From what I have read and seen on YouTube - many examples of peoples lives being ruined. If you have to take possession of your gun, magazine, or anything remotely associated with a firearm in the airport you are _ucked in NY. They don't care about your rights and will prosecute you to send a message. They apparently have not been legally challenged sufficiently to stop this practice. Don't do it and stay away from NY period. You should have booked a different flight. You have few rights there as they don't believe in certain key aspects of the Constitution.
Old 11-02-2018, 9:04 AM

New Jersey (Newark airport) no hollow point ammunition.

New York "City" (JFK-La Guardia) no handguns without a permit in the city which the airport are located in. Big problem.

You would be fine checking them through. HOWEVER as others have said if you are delayed such as over night and they send your bags down for you to take possession of, you will have a problem checking in the next day. Especially in the New York airports.

New Jersey (Newark) just make sure you don't have hollow point ammunition when you check in.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisk View Post
That's what I am worried about. I don't want to be in a situation where I have to take the luggage and be around the airport with it.

Thanks everyone!
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tra...-supreme-court

If everything goes perfect, you'll be fine. but it could go south quickly.

Gettign stuck during a layover with a NJ-illegal firearm does bringup an interesting scenario though, what would you do? You can't check it back in, you'd get arrested. Mail it back home?
Old 11-02-2018, 12:00 PM

If you are delayed, just go to airline and explain that they must hold it overnight as you can not touch it. It's their responsibility if you will not take possession.

Has to be checked through to destination.
Old 11-02-2018, 1:55 PM

Thank you all!
You guys are all very helpful. I'm just going to fly without it and Im going to have to stay away from NJ and NY next time.
Old 11-02-2018, 7:12 PM

Business or pleasure? Mail yourself your gun at your destination?
Old 11-02-2018, 7:33 PM

Traveling without it is your best choice. N.J.and N.Y. get to act if they are not part of the U.S. and this will continue unless the federal government puts a stop it.