Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 09-25-2020, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Default What I did to my Shotguns.

I have posted most of this in various threads but I am going to post it all on one thread so people can see what I did based on my experiences in 7 Tactical Shotgun Classes and shooting 3 gun shoots with these Mossberg 500's. Everything is directly applicable to M590's and 590 A1's, and most of it will work on Rem 870's and Semi Autos as well.

The first two classes were brutal, and I came home beat up pretty bad. By the Third Class I had the gun pretty much sussed out and had a Decent Idea of what to do with it.

This stuff works and was arrived at by Trial and Error from both the classes and local 3 gun shoots. It could save you a lot of bruises.

The guns are a 20" Tactical M500 7+1 and a 18.5" HD M500. Both guns are set up exactly the same way except the HD gun doesn't ordinarily have a sling attached, but it does have the capability.

Both guns have Open Rifle Sights and I like the Green Williams Fiber Optic Front Sights because in the sunlight they are impossible to miss. At night with a light on the gun they are also impossible to miss. Unfortunately the Front Sight on the Barrel of the HD gun is solid, and I haven't figured out a way to install one on it yet. I have them on Rifles, Pistols and 2 shotguns.

Both guns have Brownells High Ridge Safeties installed and they were dehorned as using them in their stock form would result in Bloody Thumbs. One significant advantage of the Mossberg platform over others is the placement of the safety which makes the gun Ambidextrous.

Both guns have Magpul Furniture Black on one and Gray on the other, and both guns have the Magpul to Remington Recoil Pad Adapters and Pads. These pads are much larger and squishier than the pad that comes with the Magpul stocks. Also to insure a more squared up stance to the target all the Stock Spacers are absent. LOP is 12.5". I am 5'11" These stocks and Fore ends have the best Ergonomics for operating a shotgun I have seen, and are well worth the $100 or so bucks. They are easy to install and adjust to your body type.

Both guns have been completely internally deburred and run very smooth. Can't really show that, but trust me, they run slick.

Continued on next Post.

Randy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100464676.jpg (51.8 KB, 2660 views)
File Type: jpg 100465114.jpg (44.8 KB, 2525 views)
File Type: jpg 100464914.JPG (73.9 KB, 2466 views)
File Type: jpg 100464706.JPG (67.0 KB, 2473 views)
File Type: jpg 100465117.jpg (33.2 KB, 2484 views)
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 05-02-2022 at 11:00 PM..
Old 09-25-2020, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Continued from above...

Both guns have Brown Coat Tactical 6 round Velcro Side Saddles attached to the left side of the receiver. They can be removed from the gun in seconds and replaced in seconds as well. With one on the gun and 2 in your pocket with a loaded gun you'll have 24-26 rounds available to deal with whatever. These are among the best quality products of this type I have seen and the price is right. They come in 2,4,6,and 8 hole versions.

Slings: I make my own slings out of 1.5" wide Nylon Belting just like 5.11 TDU Belts are made from. These are wider than normal and spread the load of the gun out over a larger area so as to decrease the fatigue of a thinner strap.

They are held to the gun using Grove-Tec Limited Rotation Quick Disconnect Swivel Sockets, threaded into the holes in the sides of the stock.
When carrying the gun Cross Body the sling is attached to the socket on the Right Side which then keeps the gun pulled into you while standing as opposed to falling away from you. If Conventional Carry is used then the sling is attached to the left side of the stock so once again the gun is held against you while carrying. In either case the gun lays flat against you and requires the least amount on hands on to maintain control of it. This reduces fatigue which causes deterioration of your concentration. You don't want attention on anything other than "Running the Gun and Finding Cover" and "Acquiring Targets and Dropping them! " Anything else will get you killed.

Weapons Lights: both guns have a 3" piece of Pic Rail mounted under the Fore End for mounting a Streamlight TLR-1. You need a light on an HD gun because you will probably need it most at night so you don't shoot your wife or kids. I like these because they are as good or better than anything else out there and reasonably priced. They also are easily removed as you don't need them in the day time.

Now one of the big items: Both guns have had their barrels modified with the Vang Comp Process. www.vangcomp.com . This process consists of lengthening the Forcing Cone in front of the chamber to 3". Backboring the barrel to .745, and the reamer used has the last 2" tapering back down to .730. Also Porting consisting of 62 holes which reduces muzzle rise.

This improves the patterning of Buckshot dramatically. Both guns Pattern Regular 00 Buckshot into 7" at 25 yards which makes Buckshot viable out to 50 yards. This also spreads out the recoil impulse over a longer time and reduces "Perceived Recoil". These guns are a joy to shoot and I can easily shoot 200 rounds in a day with no after effects wearing Shorts and a Tee Shirt.

Now the last item,,, Ammo: There is no need for anything more powerful for HD or actual "Tactical" use, than Regular LOW RECOIL Buckshot or Slugs. I use Federal mostly or my own loaded ammo. For Target Use in the classes we use Walmart 12 ga #8 birdshot loads which are normally $21.74/100,,, hard to beat .22 cents a round. I prefer the Federal Ammo as the crimps are finished better than the Winchester ammo which aids in feeding, but either will suffice.

This is what I do to my Shotguns. You can feel free to use any of my suggestions or all of them, but know this. I am super finicky about all my guns and the way that they interact with my body. I spend lots of time just fondling them and finding all the little hotspots that in a intense training environment will come to the surface and wear holes in you and make you miserable or just annoy the hell out of you.

All these improvements were arrived at after finding inadequacies in previous setups, Strictly Trial and Error. After 5, 2 and 4 day Shotgun Classes at Front Sight and approximately 130+ hours of training. I can go thru a class and not have any bruises or holes worn thru my skin or any discomfort whatsoever. I never wear more than a Tee shirt and Shorts at these classes.

All this started as a result of touching off a couple of High Base Slugs from behind a bale of hay at a local 3 Gun Shoot which resulted in 3 trips to my Chiropractor to get a rib put back in. I swore I was not going to let my ignorance of Combat Shotgun Technique and Setup to persist. I got training and lots of it. My guns evolved to the point where they are a "Joy to Shoot" and don't hurt me. Yours can be like this too, but it is more than just modifying the gun, You need the training to go with IT!!! www.frontsight.com

Nobody was born knowing how to do anything, you need to be taught everything. That's why we have Parents and Schools!

What this Set Up does for me, is allow me to concentrate on the techniques of gun handling and accuracy that I wouldn't be able to concentrate on with lesser prepared guns. Your guns will evolve just as mine did until you won't be worrying about recoil or any kind of pain. You can’t concentrate on training if you are getting the snot beat out of you every time you pull the trigger. Also going to one class and thinking you are set for life is pretty short sighted. You will need several runs thru to get it as muscle memory takes time to soak in.

I'm going to #7 soon! And I come back seriously better each time. Also Shotgun Classes are by far the most fun, nothing like blasting away at a steel target 15 yards away and seeing it get punished and knowing what kind of power you are dishing out.

Life is too short to put up with ill fitting, or poorly prepared guns.

Hope this helps some of you figure out how to set up these guns.

Randy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100464709.jpg (39.9 KB, 3964 views)
File Type: jpg 100464208.JPG (60.2 KB, 2385 views)
File Type: jpg 100465116.jpg (43.4 KB, 2370 views)
File Type: jpg 100464710.jpg (39.2 KB, 2350 views)
File Type: jpg 100464742.JPG (71.8 KB, 2376 views)

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 11-12-2023 at 9:32 AM..
Old 11-06-2020, 5:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Question

Is that light mountable at 3 o'clock without interfering with the action?

I'm not keen on bolt-on lights on a shotgun. Is there a custom forend with built-in light available for that model?

Looking sharp, otherwise!
Old 11-06-2020, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
I have posted most of this in various threads but I am going to post it all on one thread so people can see what I did based on my experiences in 5 Tactical Shotgun Classes and shooting 3 gun shoots with these Mossberg 500's. Everything is directly applicable to M590's and 590 A1's, and most of it will work on Rem 870's and others as well.
With the modified barrel - Vang Comp - You just bumped your self up to open in 3 gun. I found out that the hard way.

Well thought out platforms you assembled.

Last edited by Olderfart; 11-06-2020 at 6:11 AM..
Old 11-06-2020, 8:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
Is that light mountable at 3 o'clock without interfering with the action?

I'm not keen on bolt-on lights on a shotgun. Is there a custom forend with built-in light available for that model?

Looking sharp, otherwise!
WW: yes you could mount the pic rail at 3, 6 or 9 o'clock, and yes Surefire makes a fore end with an integral light, and like all Surefire Products it is priced about 3 times higher than what it is worth, or in this case @$300.

I like the Streamlight and Pic Rail route because the light is easily removable when you don't need it and works well at night. Also it is run by a Treadle Switch on the back of the light which is momentary contact one way and full on the other way.

When using a light at night you need to shut the light off as you come down to the Ready Position. If you don't, the light traces a line on the ground right back to you, so incoming fire can easily locate you. This is where the Momentary Contact feature really works well.

Randy

Old 11-06-2020, 8:26 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderfart View Post
With the modified barrel - Vang Comp - You just bumped your self up to open in 3 gun. I found out that the hard way.

Well thought out platforms you assembled.
OF: I compete at a much lower level, and there isn't an open class at my local shoot. However if I went to Piru and shot out there, and had to be in the Open Class it wouldn't bother me as I don't have any illusions of winning anything at a shoot like that, so competing in the Open Class would only be for fun anyway.

Which is kind of the idea anyway.

Plus that I'd use my A5 for a shoot like that.

Randy

Old 07-02-2021, 8:36 AM

I really appreciate this write-up. Going to be picking up a Mossberg 500/590 soon and this is the setup I'll be seeking to achieve.
Old 07-02-2021, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

thanks for sharing.....very nice build and description.
Old 07-02-2021, 1:08 PM
Veteran Member

Nice write-up.
Old 07-16-2021, 12:39 AM

thanks for that
Old 07-28-2021, 5:41 PM

Thanks for the tips.
Am looking for my first shotgun.
Old 08-05-2021, 6:50 AM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Yes, many of of our CGN-hosted photos are trapped in the ether...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1732589

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked
Old 08-05-2021, 7:04 AM

we're gonna needs photos of you in those shorts and a T-shirt and of course, both guns.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Here's pics of my latest project.

It is a Vintage ($300) Montgomery Wards Mossberg 500. I call it the "Monkeyberg." It started life as a Field Grade Shotgun with Wooden Furniture.

It came with a 28" Vent Rib Barrel that I cut to 18.5" and sent to Vang Comp for threading for Rem Choke Tubes.

I used a Limbsaver Recoil Pad on this one as Midway didn't have any Remington ones in stock but I think it will work just fine.

I used William's Clamp On Fire Sights on the Vent Rib

I also got a Carlson's Rifled Choke Tube for it just to see how it shoots slugs thru that. They are supposed to work really well and mimic the Paradox Guns of 125 years ago. We'll see how that works.

I'm a Big Fan of Carlson's Choke tubes as they are the best bang for the buck out there.

Continued,,,,

Randy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2173.jpg (47.7 KB, 1566 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2174.jpg (41.5 KB, 1542 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2175.jpg (35.3 KB, 1534 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2176.jpg (33.0 KB, 1522 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2159 (2).JPG (61.9 KB, 1542 views)

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-23-2022 at 4:42 PM..
Old 09-07-2021, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

There is one other doodad I used and that is a Combo Front Sling Mount/ Pic Rail Section from GG&G and it made attaching a Sling to the gun in the proper place easy.

So that's what I did to my new "Car Gun." the Monkeyberg!

More ideas for budding shotgunners.

Randy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2157 (2).JPG (59.3 KB, 1542 views)

Old 09-07-2021, 1:11 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

Holy Vent Rib! Batman... that's there's a pretty neat truck gun!

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked
Old 09-07-2021, 1:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Well done!
John 3:16

NRA,,, Lifer

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 09-07-2021, 5:48 PM
Veteran Member

Random question: with the vang comp porting does the buckshot lose velocity? That’s an issue with some handgun porting.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member

Not enough to make any difference.

Regular Low Recoil 00 has a MV of 1300 fps, and since the Vang Comp Barrel yields a 7" pattern at 25 yards, a few FPS isn't going to make any difference. You are talking an Oz. to an Oz. and a Quarter of shot, not handgun boolit that weighs way less.

With higher velocity it only gets worse for the target.

Randy

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-07-2021 at 11:30 PM..
Old 09-14-2021, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

A new addition to this project is a Carlson's Rifled Choke Tube.
It should improve Slug Accuracy which is one of the primary loads for this gun.
Hence the Rifle Sights.

IMHO Rifle Sights are a must have on a Tactical Shotgun, you are essentially fielding a .73 caliber Rifle or Musket depending on how you look at it. Once you shoot the gun enough you will see that Sights are just as fast on target as a bead and much more accurate with slugs. And they are adjustable.

Randy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2197.jpg (84.2 KB, 1419 views)

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-22-2021 at 12:38 PM..
Old 09-23-2021, 12:35 PM

Great post Randy 👍🏻
Old 09-26-2021, 9:23 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Excellent write up with loads of good info!

It's probably a Ford v. Chevy v. Dodge discussion, but I disagree with the below.

Quote:
Now the last item,,, Ammo: There is no need for anything more powerful for HD or actual "Tactical" use, than Regular LOW RECOIL Buckshot...
I have used low recoil buckshot on dozens of live animals and have had it fail more than half the time. Penetration is horrible with the stuff I've used, on both heart/lung and head shots, as close as a few yards. I've had it fail to penetrate skulls, shoulders and ribs, and have done necropsies where it half or more of the pellets did not penetrate deep enough in to the animal to be a quickly fatal shot.

I agree that there's no need for 3" mag, or even 2 3/4" magnum buckshot, but the low recoil stuff that I have experience with (Federal) is absolute garbage for an actual self defense situation.

Survey sample of one, so plenty of folks may disagree, but I'll not ever choose to load low recoil buckshot in a shotgun intended for anything other than steel or paper targets anymore.
Old 09-26-2021, 1:14 PM
Veteran Member

So what exactly were you shooting?? And how far away were you?

Most of the Low Recoil Federal Ammo is running 1200-1300 fps, and should be fine for what it is intended for. IE: Shooting People at relatively close range,,, <25 yards.

However without a tight pattern it disperses quickly . A regular Cylinder Bore barrel will yield a 15" pattern at 15 yards and add 1" for every yard beyond that. 9 pellets get lost very fast beyond that.

By comparison my Vang Comped Barrels (First two guns) yield 7" patterns at 25 yards so the density of the pattern with only 9 pellets is much greater and makes 00 Buck viable out to 40-50 yards. However beyond 30 yards Slugs are a more effective choice.

Randy

Old 09-26-2021, 1:42 PM
Veteran Member

Default Slugs:

What I've done with my shotguns goes way beyond Gun Work and Mods and extends deeply into the ammunition. Most of my Ammo loading has been concentrated in Reloading Birdshot for Clays Shooting (different guns) and loading various types of slugs for use in both Smooth Bore Barrels and Rifled Barrels.

I have several slugs that I shoot alot of.

1. The 1 oz. Lee Drive Key Slug which I cast myself.
2. The Lyman 525 Sabot Slug which looks like a Giant Air Gun Pellet. cast
3. Round Balls which are loaded into Regular Trap Loads, by replacing the shot. All cast myself.

4. STI Sabot Slugs which have proven to produce exceptional accuracy.

5. A Non Toxic version of the STI Sabot Slug certified in CA for Hunting. (Left)

6. Various Russian designed slugs which can be heavy and useful for big stuff.

7.Numerous Factory Loaded Slugs from Federal, Brenneke and Lightfield.
8. Factory made slugs from BPI

This has been going on for the last 5 years, and I have had some success, and I have also learned a bunch about loading slugs and how to make them shoot. Pretty much all of them have certain uses, like the Lee Slugs and Pumpkin Balls which are used primarily for practice and 3 Gun Shoots in Smooth Bore Barrels. Others for hunting, and some for SD/HD

More to come:

Randy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100464871.jpg (27.5 KB, 1300 views)
File Type: jpg 100464881.JPG (90.7 KB, 1299 views)
File Type: jpg 100464943.JPG (94.0 KB, 1293 views)
File Type: jpg 100464870.jpg (29.1 KB, 1293 views)

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 05-07-2022 at 9:56 AM..
Old 11-12-2021, 3:29 PM

Good thread. Thanks for sharing
Old 01-02-2022, 4:34 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Wow, just stumbled on this, I took a break from Calguns for a few years. Great stuff Randy. Your work in fine tuning your tactical shotgun experience looks impressive.

Old 01-03-2022, 9:32 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Capy, they are evolving as time goes on and experience using them increases. Always looking for better ways to do stuff.

Randy

Old 01-05-2022, 2:16 PM
Veteran Member

Default How the Port Load your Shotgun

OK,,, This comes under the heading of "What I do with my shotguns." as opposed to "What I did to them." The whole idea after you get the gun set up is to use it for something. In my case, that is going to classes, Participating in Local 3 Gun Matches, and God forbid, Home Defense or an Active Shooter Response.

It has come to my attention that most people don't understand the importance of Port Loading a Shotgun, or how to do it properly.

Tactical Shotguns are Ammo Hungry Beasts. Port Loading is the way you keep the Hungry Beast fed when in a dynamic situation. All should agree that it is counterproductive, if not downright stupid, to stand in the open while reloading your magazine and being shot at? It simply takes too long to accomplish and you are super exposed and probably won't make it home.

However it is possible to keep rounds going down range in a relatively quick manner by Single Loading or Ejection Port Loading the gun. After Learning the steps and practicing to eliminate as much wasted motion as possible it is possible to get a shot off every 1-2 seconds for as long as you have ammo readily available. Usually off a Side Saddle or Shell Holder on your belt or vest.

So in order to do this you first must learn how to grasp the individual Shells.
You do it like this,,, clasping the shell on its ends with your Index and Pinky Fingers with your other two fingers behind the shell. This hold on the rounds facilitates either loading into the magazine or into the Ejection Port. Just get in the habit of doing it this way.

I prefer the Velcro Side Saddle for holding my Extra Rounds on the gun, as they are the quickest way to access rounds and when they get empty you simply rip them off the gun and slap another one on. To pull rounds out of the side saddle you grasp the front shell with your Thumb and Ring finger and pull down and then transition to the hold described above.

Next you will tip the gun slightly to the right to better access the Ejection Port. Note: you are feeding the gun from the underside not over the top

Then push the round into the port,,, the reason why you load from underneath is because it stages your hand in position for running the slide.

Then push forward on the Slide or hit the Bolt Release on a SA gun. and you are ready to fire. Note: All of this was done with the gun on your shoulder held up by your strong side hand/arm. This will take a little practice and development of some muscle memory. By keeping the gun at eye level you eliminate precious seconds from your follow up presentation.

The last thing in the process is ejecting the spent round as quickly as possible. This is done by what is known as "Riding the Recoil."

On a Slide Action Shotgun the only thing keeping the gun "in battery" is the Bolt Release. When the gun is in battery the bolt is locked to the barrel shroud and when the gun is fired this prevents the bolt from flying open. However this all happens in Milliseconds. As soon as the hammer drops the bolt release is disengaged and the slide is free to open the bolt. That split second after the gun fires is where you "should have" been running the slide and ejecting the spent round!

With a loaded magazine you would rack the slide to eject the spent round and then immediately close it to be ready to fire. With an Empty Magazine you only Rack the slide back and leave the bolt open and then go thru your Port Loading Sequence. As you are closing the bolt you are also coming on target and pulling the Trigger as soon as the Front Sight comes to bare on your next target. This all happens in less than a second or so. It does take some practice, actually lots of practice,,, but it is doable and if I can do it at 72 you can too!

With a Semi Auto Gun all the round handling is the same and the only difference is hitting the bolt release after you stuff the round in the Ejection Port. Obviously the gun takes care of ejecting the spent rounds. The one exception to Ejection Port loading is the Browning Auto 5 with the "Speed Feed" feature. On that gun you push the round into the empty magazine and it automatically puts it into the chamber,,, Right NOW!,,, and the gun is ready to fire. This is faster than Port Loading the gun, and it is by far the fastest gun to Single Load !

So I hope this little tutorial will help some of you learn something new that is useful.

Randy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100465123.jpg (25.4 KB, 1122 views)
File Type: jpg 100464667.jpg (39.5 KB, 1119 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1958.jpg (46.6 KB, 1118 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1959.jpg (44.3 KB, 1116 views)
File Type: jpg 100464665.jpg (31.3 KB, 1115 views)

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-13-2022 at 11:30 AM..
Old 01-12-2022, 9:22 PM

Thanks again for the pointers. Here’s where mine is currently.

I have several full cards at the ready and loaded. The buttstock cuff has 6 slugs just in case. Weight is very balanced as-is, right at the receiver.

1A00AE1F-2F67-4933-87E5-F486F35B9204.jpg

7F90BCF6-03DD-49C4-88DA-015239F5A87A.jpg
Old 01-13-2022, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Are you left handed? If you are right handed you need to get rid of the shell holder on the stock as it will prevent you from getting a good cheek weld and the gun will beat the snot out of you. you are better off with your side saddles loaded with like 4 bucks and 2 slugs. That way you have all the bases covered.

just read the post above a few times and you'll see why you need the shells hanging out the bottom of the shell holder, so they can be accessed for port loading easier.

This is all about "Economy of Motion." And the less motions you have in any given operation the better off you will be.

You will learn what a "Select Slug Drill" is, where a target presents itself at a longer range and you have to quickly change from a shot round to a slug round and then take the shot. This all has to happen in a few seconds and economy of motion plays a big part in making that happen. I couldn't do it in time until I was shown how to remove the shells from the side saddle with my thumb and ring finger, which transitions to the 4 finger hold shown above which facilitates either loading into the magazine or port loading.

This takes some practice .

Randy

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-13-2022 at 11:28 AM..
Old 01-13-2022, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Are you left handed? If you are right handed you need to get rid of the shell holder on the stock as it will prevent you from getting a good cheek weld and the gun will beat the snot out of you. you are better off with your side saddles loaded with like 4 bucks and 2 slugs. That way you have all the bases covered.

just read the post above a few times and you'll see why you need the shells hanging out the bottom of the shell holder, so they can be accessed for port loading easier.

This is all about "Economy of Motion." And the less motions you have in any given operation the better off you will be.

You will learn what a "Select Slug Drill" is, where a target presents itself at a longer range and you have to quickly change from a shot round to a slug round and then take the shot. This all has to happen in a few seconds and economy of motion plays a big part in making that happen. I couldn't do it in time until I was shown how to remove the shells from the side saddle with my thumb and ring finger, which transitions to the 4 finger hold shown above which facilitates either loading into the magazine or port loading.

This takes some practice .

Randy
Yes, left handed. I get a good check weld as-is.

I’ll definitely read your post about shell and select slug drills. One consideration is that i roll the gun to the left, chamber up, facing me, to reload with my right/weak hand, either into the open chamber or the loading gate, so i’ll have to try both ways “brass up” and “brass down” to see which is faster. Right now i:
Rack slide backwards
Grab a shell from the top of the sidesaddle
Place into open chamber and push slide forward with same motion for a combat load.
Roll gun back upright, and load shells from the rest of the side saddle into the loading gate.

Brass up for that first round is by far more comfortable, being a lefty, but i could definitely see staging them upside down for loading. I’ll try it and post my thoughts.

Last edited by MissiontoMars; 01-13-2022 at 5:00 PM..
Old 01-14-2022, 7:37 AM

Ok, had my youngest time me in both “shells up” and “shells down” reload drills with no expectations either way on what i’d prefer.

I starting from a simulated “click” on an empty chamber, as if i had expended the rounds in the mag(unlikely) or had picked up the gun, in an emergency, with nothing in the mag after a cleaning or some other maintenance activity(very likely) .

Have to report, probably unsurprisingly to the OP: Brass down was way faster. Also, my wife came to watch and commented that even left-handed, the brass down technique looked a lot smoother.

Last edited by MissiontoMars; 01-14-2022 at 7:41 AM..
Old 01-15-2022, 9:28 AM
Veteran Member

I'm no expert on Left Handed manipulation of pump guns. There are definite challenges but if you go to Front Sight they will teach you how to do it, and then practice will get you up to speed. Here's what I got from the FS Dry Practice Manual for Shotguns. https://www.frontsight.com/gun-training-manuals.asp.

The biggest difference in Shell Manipulation is when you go to load thru the Ejection Port you have the shell indexed in your Right Hand with the brass on your Index Finger or opposite of what you'd do to load the magazine. Then you move your hand forward and close the action.

The kicker here is learning to flip the round around after you pull it from the side saddle. It will take practice so you aren't dropping rounds when under pressure.

However Loading the Magazine is the same as doing it Right Handed. Only difference is you have to access the shells by feel as they are on the off side of the gun for you.

A way around this is to have rounds staged in the correct direction on a shell holder on your vest or belt.

I have a vest that I use when training or shooting 3 guns where there are lots of shells needed for a stage. I use California Competition Works Shell Holders. there is also a dump bag mounted so that I can carry a box+ of shells to the line.

Note; All this is still done with the gun mounted and held on your shoulder with your strong side arm and hand.

Randy

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 07-31-2023 at 12:51 PM..
Old 01-27-2022, 9:55 PM

Slight makeover on a Mossy 590. It turned out better than I imagined.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2022, 9:41 AM

OP Thank you for the write up, great information. Tagged
Old 03-25-2022, 6:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc71 View Post
Slight makeover on a Mossy 590. It turned out better than I imagined.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Looks like you are good to go. Good Luck.

Randy

Old 03-31-2022, 8:06 AM

Solid write up thanks for sharing
Old 03-31-2022, 8:18 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the information!
I run a hogue 12.5 LOP stock on a USMC Mossberg 500. It runs super smooth. Only thing I really need is a decent sling and weapon light.

"Between your faith and my Glock 9mm I'll take the Glock."
- Arnold Schawarzenegger (End of Days)
Old 04-01-2022, 9:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Not enough to make any difference.

Regular Low Recoil 00 has a MV of 1300 fps, and since the Vang Comp Barrel yields a 7" pattern at 25 yards, a few FPS isn't going to make any difference. You are talking an Oz. to an Oz. and a Quarter of shot, not handgun boolit that weighs way less.

With higher velocity it only gets worse for the target.

Randy
Off course it looses velocity. An 18 inch barrel also shoots slower than a 22 inch. Thats why you start by using REM Tacticle Police 8 pellet and compare to Flite Control and something else full throttle. Then decide wat you need the gun for and how much you want to spend on the barrel. Or spend the $ on ammo and shoot the shotgun which is something many of us refuse to do. I seriously doubt you can chrono 1300 fps in a non comped 18" 870 or 500 with reg low recoil 00.

Last edited by marcusrn; 04-01-2022 at 9:55 PM..
Old 04-01-2022, 10:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Excellent write up and great scatter guns.

This Winchester Defender has served as my house shotgun for over thirty years. It has undergone several changes over the years, right now it has a heat shield plus two mag extension, fiber optic front bead, Velcro shell holder and a ATI folding stock with plus five shell holder. Still has the stock fore grip, just love the feel of the wood and design Winchester used back then. Last week I took her out to the range and ran some 00 buck, bird and slugs through her. The actions on these old Winchesters are smooth as silk.