Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 04-03-2019, 10:55 AM

Default are you ccw guys using standard capacity mags>

In the current situation are you ccw guys that carry firearms capable of accepting more than 10rd mags are you now using those mags? Is it legal to carry now with mags greater than 10rd capacity or are you guys staying with 10rd or less even if your carry firearm is capable of holding more?
Old 04-03-2019, 11:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It's ALWAYS been legal to carry legally owned +10 round mags. NOTHING has changed.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 04-03-2019, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

I never stopped using LCMs in my carry guns.

Its perfectly legal so long as the handgun doesn't have a fixed magazine.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Regular capacity magazines are presently legal to own.

As such, if you carry them and are involved in a shooting today, no one will be able to say the magazies were illegal to carry.

The status quo is very likely to change, and nobody knows what that is going to look like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
Print it out and frame it for all I care
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. J Beezy View Post
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-03-2019, 12:36 PM

Carry that spare 33 round glock mag strapped to your thigh, go wild!
Old 04-03-2019, 12:43 PM

Remember, it is not illegal to have them, just illegal to buy them until now. So yes, you can use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherone View Post
In the current situation are you ccw guys that carry firearms capable of accepting more than 10rd mags are you now using those mags? Is it legal to carry now with mags greater than 10rd capacity or are you guys staying with 10rd or less even if your carry firearm is capable of holding more?
Old 04-03-2019, 1:04 PM

Yes always have.
Old 04-07-2019, 4:37 PM

Default CCW and High Capacity Mags

Can CCW permit holders carry above 10 round mags (15 round mags, in this case)? Since the new court ruling, I wanted to get an answer from others with experience. Thanks!
Old 04-07-2019, 4:59 PM

If you possessed it legally, I don't see a problem.
Old 04-07-2019, 5:22 PM

No problem with my Sheriff.
Old 04-07-2019, 5:23 PM

No problem with standard capacity magazines with my Sheriff.
Old 04-07-2019, 5:56 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

No legal issue; entirely up to your issuing agency.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 04-07-2019, 6:17 PM

At this time OC Sheriff doesnt have any restrictions on mag capacity so you can carry it if you legally own it. But Im sure some idiot will harass them till they put something in writing. Who knows what theyll say if they have to put it in writing.
Old 04-08-2019, 8:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadodave View Post
Carry that spare 33 round glock mag strapped to your thigh, go wild!
Why? Is there a modification I can do to make it work in a Shield?
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 04-08-2019, 9:06 AM

I would be very careful. Even though it may be legal in the eyes of the law. Most issuing agencies if asked would not advise it.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabefree View Post
I would be very careful. Even though it may be legal in the eyes of the law. Most issuing agencies if asked would not advise it.
Why be careful?

DONT ASK, thats a child’s mistake.

I follow the terms of my issuing authority. It is silent on magazine capacity. I legally owned scms before this order.

You want to know a sure way to change that? Fifty guys asking if something legal is “ok”.

Jesus, the amount if nervous nelly screw ups, like the fifty thousand “are you SURE?” Inquiries about pistol braces, remember that?

Its legal. There is no mention of it in my terms. There is no legal argument that i should not be able to carry them.

LEAVE IT AT THAT.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-08-2019, 10:49 AM

Best bet is to check with your issuing agency. Each agencies might feel different about it. I know I had some trigger work done on one of my glock's before qualifying with it and asked the instructor if it would be a problem.

Instructor told me I could qualify with it but if the firearm was ever used to save your life. Prosecutors could bring up the modified trigger against you. Needless to say my CCW issued firearms internals were all put back to factory parts.

As far as the 10+1 magazines, I have not asked yet how my agency feels about it. But to be on the safe side if I did had such magazine I would check with them first before using it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2019, 10:51 AM

Another government audit???
Old 04-08-2019, 10:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Has any ccw shooting ever had a mod be a big issue such it was deemed a bad shoot? I keep hearing this said and I heed it but is there any court examples?

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 04-08-2019, 11:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTrav View Post
Best bet is to check with your issuing agency. Each agencies might feel different about it. I know I had some trigger work done on one of my glock's before qualifying with it and asked the instructor if it would be a problem.

Instructor told me I could qualify with it but if the firearm was ever used to save your life. Prosecutors could bring up the modified trigger against you. Needless to say my CCW issued firearms internals were all put back to factory parts.

As far as the 10+1 magazines, I have not asked yet how my agency feels about it. But to be on the safe side if I did had such magazine I would check with them first before using it.

WRONG. its legal to own and use them. The agencies all know about the ruling.

If they want to propagate new rules, i am certain all will abide by them.

DO NOT MAKE THIS AN ISSUE.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-08-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
WRONG. its legal to own and use them. The agencies all know about the ruling.

If they want to propagate new rules, i am certain all will abide by them.

DO NOT MAKE THIS AN ISSUE.
Wasn't making it an issue, just suggested if you had to ask the question here, why not ask the agency that can give you the answer your looking for. Hear it from their mouth instead of people's ideas on a forum.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Wasn't making it an issue, just suggested if you had to ask the question here, why not ask the agency that can give you the answer your looking for. Hear it from their mouth instead of people's ideas on a forum.

Because its NOT an issue until fifty guys call and ask someone, and that someone, authority or not, says “no”.

Now its an issue.

My IA knows about the ruling, they know how to get a hold of me. It is legal, LEGAL to own and use these magazines.

Why the hell would anyone raise the issue? Why would there be any reason to think that the magazines a pistol was designed to use and which are legal to own would not be permitted?

I have had scms for over 20 years. Nobody in my training or multiple issuances of CCW has ever said not to use them.

For the love of CHRIST, do not make this an issue.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-08-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Because its NOT an issue until fifty guys call and ask someone, and that someone, authority or not, says “no”.

Now its an issue.

My IA knows about the ruling, they know how to get a hold of me. It is legal, LEGAL to own and use these magazines.

Why the hell would anyone raise the issue? Why would there be any reason to think that the magazines a pistol was designed to use and which are legal to own would not be permitted?

I have had scms for over 20 years. Nobody in my training or multiple issuances of CCW has ever said not to use them.

For the love of CHRIST, do not make this an issue.
I did not post the question not am I calling my agency asking them. I am not the one making a issue on this.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I did not post the question not am I calling my agency asking them. I am not the one making a issue on this.

Your sage advice was to “call your agency”

That is what i am responding to. Its bad advice, for everyone.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-08-2019, 11:22 AM

Then everyone can do what they feel is best. Everyone can go off what you said about how your agency feels. That's fine

Old 04-08-2019, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Why be careful?

DONT ASK, thats a child’s mistake.

I follow the terms of my issuing authority. It is silent on magazine capacity. I legally owned scms before this order.

You want to know a sure way to change that? Fifty guys asking if something legal is “ok”.

Jesus, the amount if nervous nelly screw ups, like the fifty thousand “are you SURE?” Inquiries about pistol braces, remember that?

Its legal. There is no mention of it in my terms. There is no legal argument that i should not be able to carry them.

LEAVE IT AT THAT.
I believe it most likely is legal but as a ccw holder I am also not one to poke the Bear. The last class I took the subject did come up and the instructor just said do it at your own risk but for him he just carries a spare mag.
I also was interviewed a yer ago by my local Sheriff in person and we discussed lots of scenarios such as posted signs and hi cap mags and he told me it might be OK with him but other agencies may see it differently. This is why I said proceed with caution even though legally I think its unlikely to be an issue.
Old 04-08-2019, 1:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I believe it most likely is legal but as a ccw holder I am also not one to poke the Bear. The last class I took the subject did come up and the instructor just said do it at your own risk but for him he just carries a spare mag.
I also was interviewed a yer ago by my local Sheriff in person and we discussed lots of scenarios such as posted signs and hi cap mags and he told me it might be OK with him but other agencies may see it differently. This is why I said proceed with caution even though legally I think its unlikely to be an issue.
I think you are overthinking it. First, there is no “most likely” about it, its legal. The law permits me to have magazines i bought in the 1990s, and last week permitted us ALL to buy standard magazines. Theres no room for debate. A sitting federal judge made a lawful order, and i stayed within the parameters of that order. The sitting AG Of california wrote in a publicly filed pleading that the judges order permitted CA residents to legally obtain standard magazines.

The judge then stayed his own order, but carved out magazines bought last week.

None of this is open to debate, even in california.

Ive had a ccw for five years. In that time i have never had any leo even aware that i ccw, let alone annoyed enough to ask what magazines i am carrying.

I consider it a certainty that if i ever have to shoot someone, i will have the magazines checked.

But that means i got into a gunfight. The most likely way this comes out is i survived a shootout.

So i am carrying legally owned magazines. I want every advantage. I could give a crap if an agency that didnt issue my ccw “has a problem” with a legally owned 15 round magazine.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Last edited by Citadelgrad87; 04-08-2019 at 1:57 PM..
Old 04-08-2019, 3:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The other agencies he speaks of are Sunnyvale, San Francisco. The places that have local bans on LCMs. He was not speaking of "other agencies" as in other Sheriffs in locales that do not have local laws prohibiting LCMs.

I am with Citadelgrad87, if it is not a requirement on you permit it is not a problem. Do not call you IA... if they decide to change policy they will let you know or you will find out when you go to renew.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

It's like asking your mom if you can smoke pot, nothing good can come of it. Oh and nothing real good comes from smoking weed. As a psych nurse I had to add that quip. If one feels trepidatious about SCM then use the 10 rounders but don't get up in bureaucrats faces over it.
Old 04-09-2019, 5:51 AM

Not going to call my IA about SCM but does anyone know San Diego County Sheriff Gore policy on this?
I couldn’t find the conditions paper that came at the time of issue.

I do not want to lose my permit, jumped through too many hoops to get it. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2019, 7:50 AM

Do NOT call your IA about this issue.

/thread
Old 04-09-2019, 1:44 PM

The first rule of concealed carry is you don't talk about concealed carry.
Old 04-09-2019, 2:48 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

I was carrying 10 round G20 mags, now I carry 15 round G20 mags. Win/Win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 04-09-2019, 2:54 PM
Calguns Addict

I didn't ask my IA last year, why would I ask him now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 04-09-2019, 4:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Don’t ask your IA. If you don’t feel comfortable carrying SCM then don’t do it. You asking the IA might ruin it for everyone else.

I don’t see why you wouldn’t use your SCM. It’s legal for you to possess and use.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Glock Gen5 19/17/34 MOS
Old 04-09-2019, 5:02 PM

Yes, I'm sticking with my old mags; then again, I carry a 1911.
Old 04-12-2019, 7:42 AM

The mentality of asking if you can exercise your rights is killing me. Do people call and ask local LEO if they can drive the speed limit? Do they call and ask for permission to read the paper? Do people ask if they can sit in the front of the bus?
A decision was made, it's legal. Why empower a bureaucracy the power to say no?!
If it NOT specifically stated as illegal, then it IS legal. End of Story.
Old 04-12-2019, 7:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJohn View Post
The mentality of asking if you can exercise your rights is killing me. Do people call and ask local LEO if they can drive the speed limit? Do they call and ask for permission to read the paper? Do people ask if they can sit in the front of the bus?
A decision was made, it's legal. Why empower a bureaucracy the power to say no?!
If it NOT specifically stated as illegal, then it IS legal. End of Story.
Not around here.

The cur only understands the rod and the boot.

They dont know what to do with any slack in the leash.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-12-2019, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Not around here.

The cur only understands the rod and the boot.

They dont know what to do with any slack in the leash.
I think you just described 75% of US Citizens. Maybe more.
Old 04-12-2019, 6:01 PM

Does anyone know if we can carry standard mags in Sacramento county?