Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns Expatriates
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Expatriates For members who have left California but remain Calgunners

Old 01-25-2024, 8:45 PM

Default Cedar City - Preskitt

Any ex- (So) Californians out in the Cedar City to St. George areas or Prescott AZ areas?

I'm a few years away from retirement and me and the misses are looking at southern Utah or the Prescott Valley area.

Not really interested in Nevada or the greater Phoenix area just want a slower pace, less traffic but still be within a 6-7 hours from the SoCal area.

Pros/ Cons?
Old 01-27-2024, 7:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Lots of threads about Prescott. Use the search function and search " Prescott".

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 01-27-2024, 10:53 AM

St. George has some of the worst traffic I've ever seen. Just got done moving my daughter from there. Sky high cost of living as well.

It's best to visit the places you're interested in before you retire to better get an idea of what they're like.
Old 01-27-2024, 12:05 PM
Calguns Addict

World of difference between Cedar City and St George

Cedar City lots of Ice and Snow. Pretty area.

St George much lower elevation... Desert environment. Minimal occasional dusting of snow. Uncontrolled growth. Prices out of line. Lots of CA retirees and COVID inspired remote working homebuyers who don't want ice and snow. Too crowded for the infrastructure.
Old 01-27-2024, 4:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderguy View Post
St. George has some of the worst traffic I've ever seen. Just got done moving my daughter from there. Sky high cost of living as well.

It's best to visit the places you're interested in before you retire to better get an idea of what they're like.
We hear that a lot and start laughing compared to Cali traffic.
The other day I was heading home from Cali through the SF area and went a little over 2 miles in 1 hour with no accidents

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 01-27-2024, 4:56 PM

Payson sounds right for you...
Old 01-27-2024, 7:45 PM

Buddy of mine retired in Cedar City a couple of years ago. Loves it. Nice house that backs up to BLM land.

Does lots of side-by-side trips with friendly neighbors.
Old 01-27-2024, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderguy View Post

Ive been through St. George and camped in Hurricane/ Sand Hollow so I'm familiar with the area and traffic as well. Seems like with all the growth in that area housing prices will continue to rise. I kind of liked the Cedar City area due to the higher elevation and what seems like a bit more country like living. Properties are priced a bit lower than St. George with larger lots for building out.

As far as the Prescott area, I have a couple of former co-workers that have retired out there and its kind of what you make it. One belongs to a local car club, works pt at a machine shop and is involved with his HOA group with the other spending most of his time in his workshop. I guess thats retirement.
Old 01-27-2024, 10:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Cedar City can get very cold in the winter.
Old 01-28-2024, 9:29 AM
Calguns Addict

OP needs to get out of his Commiefornia cocoon and actually go and see different places. I went across the country four times checking out different areas before I ultimately found where I wanted to settle.

When all you do is ask what others think, all you are going to get is someone elses opinion.

Biden, proof that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Dumocraps suck balls.
Old 01-28-2024, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower View Post
OP needs to get out of his Commiefornia cocoon and actually go and see different places. I went across the country four times checking out different areas before I ultimately found where I wanted to settle.

When all you do is ask what others think, all you are going to get is someone elses opinion.
Great advise. I actually just got back from a week in Prescott looking at properties in the Williamson and Prescott Valley areas. I plan on visiting Cedar City later this fall to get a better feel for the area.

I definetly know the northern Arizonans are pro 2A and are not happy about out of staters driving up the cost of housing.
Old 01-28-2024, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASonBASS View Post
Buddy of mine retired in Cedar City a couple of years ago. Loves it. Nice house that backs up to BLM land.

Does lots of side-by-side trips with friendly neighbors.
Thanks, definetly some of the pluses living in the country.
Old 01-30-2024, 6:03 AM

Just for a reference point, I live in Prescott (Williamson Valley) and had in laws in Cedar City-

Cedar City- Nice town with most major stores. It is close to all of the scenic things in Southern Utah including Bryce, Zion, etc. If you haven't gone over the hill to the valley Highway 89 goes through, you should as it is beautiful thru there. If I was going to relocate to southern Utah I would consider Cedar City, Kanab, and Hurricane.

Prescott- It has a quaint downtown that always has something going on during the summer. Prescott is an incredible car town and every non winter weekend has some car event. There are literally hundreds of miles of dirt roads around Prescott so if you are into off roading, you can keep yourself very busy. The health care is a bit lacking as Dignity Health is the main show in town and they are not very patient focused. Most people I know go to Phoenix for major surgeries. As for Williamson Valley we love it here, but if you get too far out it can be a bit of a drive to the store. It can also be that way in the outlying areas of Prescott Valley. Some other areas to consider are Cottonwood and Clarkdale. They are bit lower than Prescott so are a few degrees warmer.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

ETA- In case you were not aware and plan to take Social Security at some point, Utah taxes SS where AZ does not.

Last edited by toro1; 01-30-2024 at 6:38 AM..
Old 01-30-2024, 10:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Need to visit different areas in the appropriate season first
Central/Northern Utah, Idaho, et al in Winter. St George in Summer.
Southern US in Summer as well

Prescott appears to have ideal weather for SoCal retirees

Everyone definitely can find the time to visit areas first

Last edited by Dan_Eastvale; 01-30-2024 at 10:18 AM..
Old 01-30-2024, 2:57 PM

We're actually moving to Cedar City from Santa Clarita this week. I was always interested in the town as we would travel to Idaho for family visit and Elk hunts and always had a hotel stop In Cedar City. We didn't want to leave our Grandkids in Cali but we are priced out and the Actors strike totally killed my savings. So this is an emergency move and we are going to rent. We found a nice, newer 3 bedroom in a gated 55+ community for $1625 a month, that's half of what I have been paying. I work totally remote in Visual fx so hope to recover this year and buy a home when Trump wins again..
I really like cold weather and the wife does not. I ride bicycles and Cedar is Paradise for mountain and gravel cycling. I hear Coyote hunting is great an hour or two north. Cedar is 6.5 hours from our family and that seems a nice enough compromise that my wife agreed to the move. She has PTSD from being robbed at gunpoint twice (banking) so she may even start leaving the house again as the Mormons are not so scary, even when they wear a mask. Oh, and they have a Sportsman's Warehouse and a Cal Ranch store! There are more mom and pop restaurant's (search cedar city restaurants on youtube) and new, unlived in houses than anywhere else I have ever looked into. Ask me in a year... gas is 2:54 lmao.

Last edited by ProRoad; 01-30-2024 at 6:56 PM..
Old 02-01-2024, 2:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRoad View Post
She has PTSD from being robbed at gunpoint twice (banking) so she may even start leaving the house again as the Mormons are not so scary, even when they wear a mask. Oh, and they have a Sportsman's Warehouse and a Cal Ranch store! There are more mom and pop restaurant's (search cedar city restaurants on youtube) Ask me in a year... gas is 2:54 lmao.
Around here you can tell the Dumbocraps at a glance, they are the ones still wearing masks.

Biden, proof that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Dumocraps suck balls.
Old 02-01-2024, 8:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower View Post
Around here you can tell the Dumbocraps or thieves at a glance, they are the ones still wearing masks.
f y p
Old 02-01-2024, 12:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRoad View Post
We're actually moving to Cedar City from Santa Clarita this week. I was always interested in the town as we would travel to Idaho for family visit and Elk hunts and always had a hotel stop In Cedar City. We didn't want to leave our Grandkids in Cali but we are priced out and the Actors strike totally killed my savings. So this is an emergency move and we are going to rent. We found a nice, newer 3 bedroom in a gated 55+ community for $1625 a month, that's half of what I have been paying. I work totally remote in Visual fx so hope to recover this year and buy a home when Trump wins again..
I really like cold weather and the wife does not. I ride bicycles and Cedar is Paradise for mountain and gravel cycling. I hear Coyote hunting is great an hour or two north. Cedar is 6.5 hours from our family and that seems a nice enough compromise that my wife agreed to the move. She has PTSD from being robbed at gunpoint twice (banking) so she may even start leaving the house again as the Mormons are not so scary, even when they wear a mask. Oh, and they have a Sportsman's Warehouse and a Cal Ranch store! There are more mom and pop restaurant's (search cedar city restaurants on youtube) and new, unlived in houses than anywhere else I have ever looked into. Ask me in a year... gas is 2:54 lmao.
She needs to carry
Old 02-01-2024, 1:47 PM

Thank you so much for your response and information (especially in regards to heathcare). I think at this point its really down to Southern Utah in the Cedar City to Hurricane areas and Williamson Valley/ Prescott Valley. I want to be far enough away from California to no longer have all the baggage that comes with it but withing a 6-7 hour drive for visiits with family and friends. I believe in a later post a gentleman expresses similiar agreement.

In the coming year or so a couple of stays in Utah may be the deciding factor in my wife and my decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toro1 View Post
Just for a reference point, I live in Prescott (Williamson Valley) and had in laws in Cedar City-

Cedar City- Nice town with most major stores. It is close to all of the scenic things in Southern Utah including Bryce, Zion, etc. If you haven't gone over the hill to the valley Highway 89 goes through, you should as it is beautiful thru there. If I was going to relocate to southern Utah I would consider Cedar City, Kanab, and Hurricane.

Prescott- It has a quaint downtown that always has something going on during the summer. Prescott is an incredible car town and every non winter weekend has some car event. There are literally hundreds of miles of dirt roads around Prescott so if you are into off roading, you can keep yourself very busy. The health care is a bit lacking as Dignity Health is the main show in town and they are not very patient focused. Most people I know go to Phoenix for major surgeries. As for Williamson Valley we love it here, but if you get too far out it can be a bit of a drive to the store. It can also be that way in the outlying areas of Prescott Valley. Some other areas to consider are Cottonwood and Clarkdale. They are bit lower than Prescott so are a few degrees warmer.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

ETA- In case you were not aware and plan to take Social Security at some point, Utah taxes SS where AZ does not.
Old 02-05-2024, 7:55 AM

We ended up in a small town with a population of about 800 in the Pine Valley Mountains. About an hour from Cedar and 40 minutes from St. George. Our property butts up against the Dixie National Forest.
Old 02-08-2024, 8:59 AM

I moved to the St. George area 2 years ago. People complain about the traffic, but compared to the rush hour traffic I dealt with daily in LA it's nothing. The real estate market has boomed the past few years with the influx of Californians moving here. Locals hate Californians and are very vocal about it, but they have no issue selling their homes for top dollar to them. It is very hot in the summer so make sure you're OK with that.

I considered Cedar City also due to cheaper housing than St. George, but it was too small of a city for me and too cold in winter. Access to quality healthcare was also a concern for me there.

It may sound cliche, but before moving to Utah also make sure you can deal with the influence of the LDS church on daily life. I'm Christian, not LDS, and it doesn't bother me, but it could be difficult for more secular types.

As others suggested, spend some time in the different areas you're considering. Figure out the pros and cons of each area before making a big move.
Old 02-08-2024, 11:29 PM

Couple years ago Cedar City and St. George had flooding, make sure you and the realtor watch out for flood zones.
Old 02-10-2024, 11:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cman123 View Post
I moved to the St. George area 2 years ago. People complain about the traffic, but compared to the rush hour traffic I dealt with daily in LA it's nothing. The real estate market has boomed the past few years with the influx of Californians moving here. Locals hate Californians and are very vocal about it, but they have no issue selling their homes for top dollar to them. It is very hot in the summer so make sure you're OK with that.

I considered Cedar City also due to cheaper housing than St. George, but it was too small of a city for me and too cold in winter. Access to quality healthcare was also a concern for me there.

It may sound cliche, but before moving to Utah also make sure you can deal with the influence of the LDS church on daily life. I'm Christian, not LDS, and it doesn't bother me, but it could be difficult for more secular types.

As others suggested, spend some time in the different areas you're considering. Figure out the pros and cons of each area before making a big move.
"Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints unequivocally affirm themselves to be Christians. They worship God the Eternal Father in the name of Jesus Christ. When asked what the Latter-day Saints believe, Joseph Smith put Christ at the center: ?The fundamental principles of our religion is the testimony of the apostles and prophets concerning Jesus Christ, ?that he died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended up into heaven;? and all other things are only appendages to these, which pertain to our religion.?

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/...tians?lang=eng

If non Mormons living un Utah view them in a negative way it is because of their own intolerance and prejudices

Eastern Orthodox and Roman Carholic are Christian as well

Last edited by Dan_Eastvale; 02-10-2024 at 11:08 AM..
Old 02-10-2024, 11:52 AM

I'm afraid the greater Prescott area is changing for the worst. More ugly cookie-cutter apartments going up every week, housing developments on former ranches, worsening traffic and crime. Like others have said, health care is a bit scarce and behind the growth curve. Water is a precious resource that everyone knows is scarce but the growth continues. Evidently, the developers own the politicians just like in Kali. It is still nice, but has changed much in the 9 years we've been here. Be careful here you look, in terms of future growth.
Old 02-10-2024, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post
"Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints unequivocally affirm themselves to be Christians. They worship God the Eternal Father in the name of Jesus Christ. When asked what the Latter-day Saints believe, Joseph Smith put Christ at the center: ?The fundamental principles of our religion is the testimony of the apostles and prophets concerning Jesus Christ, ?that he died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended up into heaven;? and all other things are only appendages to these, which pertain to our religion.?

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/...tians?lang=eng

If non Mormons living un Utah view them in a negative way it is because of their own intolerance and prejudices

Eastern Orthodox and Roman Carholic are Christian as well
many segments of society self-identify to others in ways that are contrary to their actual beliefs. in order to protect their beliefs. "pro-choice" is a good example of this.

if you are familiar with both the precepts of traditional Christianity and of LDS you know that LDS diverges in many important ways. it is telling that neither "Roman Catholic" nor Orthodox Christians consider LDS as Christians.
Old 02-11-2024, 8:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Handful of us in Prescott. There?s another CG?er in my subdivision; I haven?t met him yet.
Old 02-13-2024, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastattack View Post
I'm afraid the greater Prescott area is changing for the worst. More ugly cookie-cutter apartments going up every week, housing developments on former ranches, worsening traffic and crime. Like others have said, health care is a bit scarce and behind the growth curve. Water is a precious resource that everyone knows is scarce but the growth continues. Evidently, the developers own the politicians just like in Kali. It is still nice, but has changed much in the 9 years we've been here. Be careful here you look, in terms of future growth.
As I may have mentioned in an earlier post, I actually had a chance to look at a few properties in the Prescott Valley area with a realtor. Actually tagged along with a friend looking to buy and we got a chance to talk with a long time builder who mentioned some wells that were 20-30 gpm under 10 years ago are producing a small fraction of that now. So thats an area of concern for me.

As far as medical care, that has become an a concern for me in recent years. Recovering from L3-S3 disectomy last year and C3-C5 the year prior. So how these disc replacements age out, may have me weighing healthcare services over location.
Old 02-15-2024, 9:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post
World of difference between Cedar City and St George

Cedar City lots of Ice and Snow. Pretty area.

St George much lower elevation... Desert environment. Minimal occasional dusting of snow. Uncontrolled growth. Prices out of line. Lots of CA retirees and COVID inspired remote working homebuyers who don't want ice and snow. Too crowded for the infrastructure.
Exactly. They aren't that far apart but they are quite different. Our neighbors have a home in St George as well, and complain constantly about the shortcomings of the infrastructure.

I would advise checking out both. Cedar City is a lot smaller but personally I like it more.