Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 11-15-2023, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

I just talked to Cody this morning and he is quoting 60 days on all barrel work right now. complete builds are Indefinite, as Parts like sights and other small parts are the bottle neck.

Parts sourcing is the biggest problem and is the biggest hold up right now. I am trying to help out finding shops that can do the work but the guy who did all the drawings is an idiot and so all the drawings have to be redone.

When I saw the print for the Rear Sight that the guy in Chino Valley AZ was making, I was blown away he had 4 digit (Tenths) called out on every dimension and +/- .0005 tolerances on everything.( computer generated??? )! Nobody wanted to bid the work!

Anyway,,, luckily simple barrel work is @60 days right now.

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com
Old 11-15-2023, 8:09 PM

I might ask him do simply do the barrel work and return the gun.
Old 11-16-2023, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
I just talked to Cody this morning and he is quoting 60 days on all barrel work right now. complete builds are Indefinite, as Parts like sights and other small parts are the bottle neck.

Randy
Thanks for the timeframe heads up. I have two barrels I'll be sending in within the next week or two. Did you make it to Thunderstick in Boulder City this year?
Old 11-16-2023, 9:37 AM
Veteran Member

No, I wanted to, but life got in the way. Maybe next year.?

Randy

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
Old 11-17-2023, 8:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Parts sourcing is the biggest problem and is the biggest hold up right now. I am trying to help out finding shops that can do the work but the guy who did all the drawings is an idiot and so all the drawings have to be redone.

When I saw the print for the Rear Sight that the guy in Chino Valley AZ was making, I was blown away he had 4 digit (Tenths) called out on every dimension and +/- .0005 tolerances on everything.( computer generated??? )! Nobody wanted to bid the work!

Randy
Probably my most rewarding job was running a model shop for a startup with a bunch of young engineers. I?d routinely get CAD drawings with decimals to 4 places and no title block to describe tolerances. Never even heard of GDT. Also get square inside corners and pockets.

So the fun part was going back and learning them while I could also learn from them. Do you really need that +/- 0.0005? Nah?.0.005 is fine. What?s fitting in the square pocket that screams EDM? Can we relieve the corners on the male or dog biscuit the female? Ah sure?….that would Work.

So not “idiots”. They just never had to make any of their prints.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter

Last edited by JagerDog; 11-17-2023 at 8:43 AM..
Old 11-17-2023, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

So not “idiots”. They just never had to make any of their prints.

No,,, he's an Idiot ! This guy makes the parts that he designed, he just doesn't make them to the Tolerances he puts on the drawings.

He probably wrote them like that so other shops wouldn't bid the work and so far he's been successful with that. He's supposed to be delivering 40 of those rear sights a Week, but so far he's only been able to produce about 40 a month! Currently there is no other source.

I sent the prints to several shops I use and every one "no bid" the work !.

They are having problems hiring people because the new owner(not Cody) doesn't want to pay more than $15/hr. Day Laborers in LV get more than that! And Nobody with any skills is going to work that cheap.

So there's a manpower problem. There's 3 guys there working 10-12 hrs. a day. When Hans owned the place he had 7 guys working, doing one forth the work that they have "In Que" now.

I'm going to be seeing them in person in January when I go to the SHOT Show, adn I will be making suggestions to improve the thru put of the shop.

Randy

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 11-17-2023 at 12:08 PM..
Old 11-17-2023, 5:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
So not ?idiots?. They just never had to make any of their prints.

No,,, he's an Idiot ! This guy makes the parts that he designed, he just doesn't make them to the Tolerances he puts on the drawings.

He probably wrote them like that so other shops wouldn't bid the work and so far he's been successful with that. He's supposed to be delivering 40 of those rear sights a Week, but so far he's only been able to produce about 40 a month! Currently there is no other source.

They are having problems hiring people because the new owner(not Cody) doesn't want to pay more than $15/hr. Day Laborers in LV get more than that! And Nobody with any skills is going to work that cheap.

So there's a manpower problem. There's 3 guys there working 10-12 hrs. a day. When Hans owned the place he had 7 guys working, doing one forth the work that they have "In Que" now.

I'm going to be seeing them in person in January when I go to the SHOT Show, adn I will be making suggestions to improve the thru put of the shop.

Randy
I wouldn't ...for $15/hr. 10+x that for consulting. Fixtures and/or dedicated machines where dictated by volume and hire some skill.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 11-20-2023, 4:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
So not ?idiots?. They just never had to make any of their prints.

Randy
I spoke to him maybe a year ago, maybe a little more. Actually bought one of the 590a1 guns from him. He said he thought it was under control soon, but I guess it didn't work out.
I have 4 Brother CNC mills and 2 CNC lathes, one of the a Takisawa with live milling both parallel to either spindle or perpendicular to either spindle.
Not having good prints is a problem, but could be worked out. It would just mean defining the design on paper after a successful first article.
It's hard to make a step like that, changing stuff. Long term it would pay off. But, it's a difficult thing for a while.
I wish them luck.

It's a muzzle BRAKE, not a muzzle break. Or is your muzzle tired?
Old 12-14-2023, 2:22 PM

I dropped my 20ga Defender off in the first week of May.
Mind you, it's my fourth Vang Comp modified gun.
I wanted VCS, porting and an optic mounted to the barrel that I provided.
Cody said 4 months.
A time or two I've mentioned my gun to him in social media.
The last excuse was that there was a problem with the picitanny rail for the barrel.
Last week I reached out and asked why it still isn't done. I made it clear that if he was going to work on it, I wanted it back with the work done by Jan 6 or without any work done by Christmas.

He found my order, stated that the internal work was done but he was waiting to do the porting.
I replied that if he was going to do the porting then I needed it back by Jan 6 and if not, return it as is by Christmas.
I noted that I couldn't figure out why he is able to mount optics to other barrels but not mine but also that I no longer cared.
He told me that the rail or RMR blank that is made will not fit 20g barrels and needs to be recontoured to fit them.
And that there is only one tech that can handle that work.
And that that tech is processing orders from 10/22.
Old 12-15-2023, 1:58 PM
Veteran Member

Ari: I told him last Saturday to just send your gun back because it was clear that the barrel fitting was not going to work on a 20ga. and he couldn't fulfill your request in your time frame.

Sorry I couldn't do better for you but they are so swamped that it is impossible to get anything done fast. I have been trying to get them to hire more people but the new owner is not willing to pay what is required so it is, what it is, until he changes his views on operating the company. Cody has Very Little to No Say in this. He is working 12-16 hours a day right now.

Randy

Old 12-16-2023, 7:30 AM

You hit the nail on the head Randy. Either hire a couple of techs, or farm out to experience shops. Perhaps the owner has a cash flow problem and is taking it out on the staff. But strangling production does not serve the customer base or the bottom line.

"The Hillary Clinton school of failure."
Old 12-16-2023, 8:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

About 2 months shy of 2 years since this thread was created.

This isn't the shop These aren't the droids you're looking for.

God Bless America
Old 12-16-2023, 1:46 PM
Veteran Member

Yes,,, but they need 4 more Droids to catch up.

Randy

Old 12-24-2023, 7:36 PM
Veteran Member

I want to send in my 870 barrel to do the VCS barrel mod with comp ports, but have had a hard time getting a hold of anyone to confirm the job before I just mail in my barrel and hope for the best.

I sent them an email back in early Dec but didn't hear back. I tried calling them a couple of times in the past couple of weeks and nobody answered. I don't mind waiting a couple of months for my barrel to get worked on, but don't want to be without my barrel for 6-12 months or longer.
Old 12-24-2023, 8:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDM44 View Post
I want to send in my 870 barrel to do the VCS barrel mod with comp ports, but have had a hard time getting a hold of anyone to confirm the job before I just mail in my barrel and hope for the best.

I sent them an email back in early Dec but didn't hear back. I tried calling them a couple of times in the past couple of weeks and nobody answered. I don't mind waiting a couple of months for my barrel to get worked on, but don't want to be without my barrel for 6-12 months or longer.
ya im in the same boat. i sent 2 separate emails, like 6 months apart, a while back and didn’t hear back either time. I’m in no rush to get the service done so I’m basically waiting for them to get their “es” together before I commit to giving them any of my business.

Life member: NRA, CRPA, SAF
Old 12-25-2023, 4:39 PM

In my opinion, they aren't charging enough for the service. Their prices haven't caught up with inflation which could be a reason they aren't interested in paying anyone what the job should be worth.
If I were charging for the barrel work and porting, I would consider closer to $450-500 not $250.
I think $500 is still worth it.
There is a reason I have a 5th shotgun there now.
Old 12-25-2023, 11:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari_d_sparki View Post
In my opinion, they aren't charging enough for the service. Their prices haven't caught up with inflation which could be a reason they aren't interested in paying anyone what the job should be worth.
If I were charging for the barrel work and porting, I would consider closer to $450-500 not $250.
I think $500 is still worth it.
There is a reason I have a 5th shotgun there now.
What would you base that on? Forcing cones and porting are rather standard work that many offer. Pricing seems similar to what others charge for similar work.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 12-25-2023, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member

They can do a complete barrel in less than 1 hour.

Randy

Old 12-31-2023, 6:21 PM

Quote:
They can do a complete barrel in less than 1 hour.

Randy
Does that include the porting?
Old 12-31-2023, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
What would you base that on? Forcing cones and porting are rather standard work that many offer. Pricing seems similar to what others charge for similar work.
I base my opinion on the increase in performance that their work does as well as the increased costs of labor, blade/ drill bit sharpening, replacement parts.
What other companies offer similar work to them?
Old 12-31-2023, 11:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I base my opinion on the increase in performance that their work does as well as the increased costs of labor, blade/ drill bit sharpening, replacement parts.
What other companies offer similar work to them?
Just about every shotgun smith. Even sportsman?s warehouse. Forcing cones and porting are hardly unique.

Randy says it takes about an hour. They prolly spend that much chasing down the prolific backlog and other overhead.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 01-02-2024, 10:51 AM

Forcing cone lengthening and polishing/honing should be very straight forward with the right cutter and alignment tools like Mike Orlen does it. I think a simple guided tapered reamer could do it. Might have to look into that. There are a hundred shops in SoCal that can do that work.

Porting would be simple with a rotary head on a vertical mill, and drill fixture or digital read out. Or pop it on my Fadal and run the program. Then polish off the burrs inside.

Old 01-07-2024, 6:55 PM

My shotgun arrived on Friday.
The LGS said that if he has to log it, I must fill out a 4473 and do a 10 day wait even if I bought it in CA. So I did.
I'll pick it up on the 16th.
The porting and barrel work appear to be done. Only took 8 months. 4 months past what he quoted me for the whole job.
Adding the rail and red dot would have taken an additional year.
He said that he'd send me an invoice and way to pay online but never did.
I'll mail him a check for what I think he quoted me +the new case it arrived in + the shipping fees.
Old 01-07-2024, 11:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Send ‘em $500. Cuz that’s what it’s worth to you.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 01-08-2024, 6:58 AM

An additional year for rail and red dot? Hmmm.

Old 01-09-2024, 8:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
An additional year for rail and red dot? Hmmm.
That?s just the estimate. So double it.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 01-09-2024, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
Send ?em $500. Cuz that?s what it?s worth to you.
That's the plan.
Old 01-16-2024, 11:10 AM

Quote:
That's the plan.
Did they take it?

Old 01-16-2024, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Did they take it?
Got a little busy. Just mailed it.
Old 01-16-2024, 10:41 PM

Appropo of DEI which is important to all of us is that the off shelf I/C shotgun spreads 1 inch per yard. That's good and bad. You may half that spread by using FED flight control. Save the money and time and use it to train with Randy. The shotgun has the "Diversity" built in!

Last edited by marcusrn; 01-17-2024 at 9:43 PM..
Old 01-16-2024, 10:45 PM

Full disclosure/ I've had 3 guns choked by Hans Vang before FED flight control. I don't remember paying or waiting exhorbitant $ or X.

Last edited by marcusrn; 01-17-2024 at 9:43 PM..
Old 01-17-2024, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusrn View Post
Full disclosure/ I've had 3 guns choked by Hans Vang before FED flight control. I don't remember paying or waiting exporbitant $ or X.
Seems all this drama started since the move to Vegas. The whole supply chain shortages excuse is just that IMO. The work they do is just not that hard. Small machine shops in their old location are not that busy and a good number are closing up due to lack of work. They have the capacity to take a good amount of that work.

Old 01-27-2024, 7:45 PM

Hans kept the business going without much advertisement. But he also wasn't growing the business.
He was tired and wanted to retire.
He finally sold the business to someone in Vegas.
Cody, his brother and GT went with it.
GT left to move to Texas.
The problems started with the move to Vegas.
Used to be that only a few of us outside law enforcement/ military knew about VCS.
When Cody and Co started showing the world what the patented work could do and what they could create, everyone wanted one.

I stumbled upon it when I wandered in Hans' shop and asked him to work on a few of my pistols.
He eventually begged me to buy one of his shotguns. I couldn't afford one so I had him do the barrel work on my Winchester 1300.
I learned how to shoot trap with this gun.
It's still my favorite gun.
I'm really bummed about all this drama surrounding Hans' creation and I'm sorry he sold the company.
Old 02-09-2024, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Hans kept the business going without much advertisement. But he also wasn't growing the business.
He was tired and wanted to retire.
He finally sold the business to someone in Vegas.
Cody, his brother and GT went with it.
GT left to move to Texas.
The problems started with the move to Vegas.
Used to be that only a few of us outside law enforcement/ military knew about VCS.
When Cody and Co started showing the world what the patented work could do and what they could create, everyone wanted one.

I stumbled upon it when I wandered in Hans' shop and asked him to work on a few of my pistols.
He eventually begged me to buy one of his shotguns. I couldn't afford one so I had him do the barrel work on my Winchester 1300.
I learned how to shoot trap with this gun.
It's still my favorite gun.
I'm really bummed about all this drama surrounding Hans' creation and I'm sorry he sold the company.
Is Hans still around?

Old 02-09-2024, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Is Hans still around?
He's in Chino Valley. He's off and on at the shooting range there. Haven't seen him in a while.
Old 02-09-2024, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Did they take it?
No. They are apologizing for the miscommunication and writing it off. My reply is that they need to be paid for the work they did and that they can warranty the tritium sight that died on an 870 that Hans did.
Old 02-10-2024, 7:00 AM

Vang comp just took delivery of my 590a1 barrel on 02/07/24. Doing just the port work on the barrel only and nothing else... hopefully they hold up to their 60 days turnaround as they claimed during their email after I asked about it.
11/29/22-entered in system
04/29/23-FBI/05/07/23-CA/05/11/23-Firearms
02/06/24-Call for email, additional docs requested, submitted

AZ CCW active holder 06/03/23
Old 02-10-2024, 7:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DProm View Post
Vang comp just took delivery of my 590a1 barrel on 02/07/24. Doing just the port work on the barrel only and nothing else... hopefully they hold up to their 60 days turnaround as they claimed during their email after I asked about it.
please keep us posted. thanks.

Life member: NRA, CRPA, SAF
Old 02-11-2024, 9:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xblax619 View Post
please keep us posted. thanks.
Will do!
11/29/22-entered in system
04/29/23-FBI/05/07/23-CA/05/11/23-Firearms
02/06/24-Call for email, additional docs requested, submitted

AZ CCW active holder 06/03/23
Old 02-14-2024, 8:04 PM

This is interesting. The shotgun I dropped off in Vegas and recently got back is shooting very well.
It is a Winchester 20ga Defender made in the US. So it has a 18" barrel and 6 round tube.
This last Sunday I did two rounds of 16 yard trap using 1300fps steel #7 shot. It is shooting so tight that I'm going to have to start at 17 or 18 yards.
Recoil with 3" #2 steel is minimal.
While this is my 5th Vang Comp barrel, it is only my second 20 ga.
The benefit of their work is that you get tight patterns and reduced recoil regardless of ammo.
My Vang Comp 870 has less recoil than a Versa Max Tactical Competition with an extended ported choke that I sold. I loved that shotgun but it recoiled more and was less useful than my Vang Comps.