Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 01-25-2024, 7:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Any 'Favorite' Slings for a Mini-14?

It's time to replace the leather sling on my Mini-14.

Unfortunately, looking at the prices of leather slings these days, it makes me hesitate. I mean, a Boyt Garand Sling, just a good, solid military-style sling, now lists for $140. Even the Hunter Company versions are going for between $60 and $70.

I favor leather. However, at those prices, I'd consider an alternative.

Any 'favorite' slings for a Mini-14?
Old 01-25-2024, 7:26 AM
Veteran Member

Back in the '80's when I had a Mini 14, I put an M1 carbine sling on it.

Not very expensive, and worked perfect.
Old 01-25-2024, 9:36 PM

https://www.apexgunparts.com/1907-br...dware-new.html

Here's a 1907 sling with black hardware (they also have it in brass hardware) for $24 plus shipping.
Old 01-26-2024, 11:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Any reason going with old school cool leather? Just like the look of it? Certainly is sexy. But I was always worried that the hook would come loose, and the rifle would drop to the ground. Guess I come from the nylon era. I run Blue Force Padded 2-Pt slings on all my ARs and HD shotguns with Magpul Paraclips on them so I can turn them into a single point sling if momentarily needed. I would have liked to put a 1907 on my Remington 700 Police but as I said I did not trust it. So I found a paracord sling of all things that works pretty well.
Old 01-27-2024, 7:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
https://www.apexgunparts.com/1907-br...dware-new.html

Here's a 1907 sling with black hardware (they also have it in brass hardware) for $24 plus shipping.
It looks as though those are made for a certain type of consumer; i.e., those interested in 'reenacting,' but not necessarily interested in robustness. Why? Because I don't think they are proprietary to whom you linked. See... World War Supply as another example.

Could they be decent for the price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalcity View Post
Any reason going with old school cool leather? Just like the look of it? Certainly is sexy...
Growing up, leather was about all that was available which had any 'quality.' After a number of decades, I'm simply 'used to it.' Similarly, a good quality leather sling isn't just 'cool' or 'sexy,' it is functional and robust if properly attended to. While some of the modern synthetics are 'almost as good,' in their own way, I don't perceive them as having the same longevity.

Then again, at my age, do I really need another 20, 30, or 40 years out of a sling?

It's why I'm willing to consider alternatives.
Old 01-27-2024, 8:38 PM

Tech Sights cotton.

I have them on a Mini 14, Mini 30, and Remington 510 (which I'm using in a Smallbore league). It's not leather, but it works. Well.

Last edited by operavoice; 01-27-2024 at 8:42 PM..
Old 01-28-2024, 8:04 AM

I have a couple of these. Really nicely made.

AmmoGarand Green Web Sling M1 Garand US GI Pattern Two Point OD Cotton Made in USA

https://www.amazon.com/AmmoGarand-Gr.../dp/B072M6WBN4
Old 02-06-2024, 8:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinCalifornia View Post
It's time to replace the leather sling on my Mini-14.

Unfortunately, looking at the prices of leather slings these days, it makes me hesitate. I mean, a Boyt Garand Sling, just a good, solid military-style sling, now lists for $140. Even the Hunter Company versions are going for between $60 and $70.

I favor leather. However, at those prices, I'd consider an alternative.

Any 'favorite' slings for a Mini-14?
In your application it will matter (to me) if your furniture is wood or poly, and if the usage is for shooting or carrying. A poly stock can get by with the very simplest 1 inch webbing for support. All my synth stocked Paratroopers have some variation that I fabbed myself. Wood is different in that a wood stocked rifle should have a leather sling to accommodate the grain. Here's a couple. I put sling on most all my rifles. PAX
T6 Paratrooper home made unit

Sane action, SKS with standard barrel in beautiful TimberSmith laminate, repo Romy leather sling. Looks really cool.

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798
Old 02-07-2024, 12:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1 View Post
In your application it will matter (to me) if your furniture is wood or poly, and if the usage is for shooting or carrying...
Trust me. I've been having a similar conversation with myself. I don't own a gun I won't shoot and, to me, the primary purpose of a firearm is shooting. They weren't picked up as safe queens or investments or display items. At least such wasn't the primary motivation behind purchasing.

The Mini-14 I have is a stainless steel version with a synthetic stock. I initially picked it up in a location where it rained much of the 'hunting season' and beyond. Still, as I said earlier, growing up, leather was about all that was available which had any 'quality.' After a number of decades, I'm simply 'used to it.' Similarly, a good quality leather sling isn't just 'cool' or 'sexy,' it is functional and robust if properly attended to. While some of the modern synthetics are 'almost as good,' in their own way, I don't perceive them as having the same longevity.

Then again, at my age, do I really need another 20, 30, or 40 years out of a sling?

It's why I'm willing to consider alternatives. I'm just uncertain as to whether a synthetic will 'carry' the weight of the rifle as well as leather. Why don't I know? I got to looking at it and every rifle I have, save two, has a sling and they are, with a single exception, leather slings, regardless of the composition of the various stocks.

Last edited by TrappedinCalifornia; 02-08-2024 at 8:49 AM..
Old 02-07-2024, 9:43 PM
Veteran Member

Most of the sporting rifles with leather, only the 2 Rossi levers, a Savage 24 don't have slings yet. And the plastic stocked RAR and a Rem 710 have poly PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798
Old 02-10-2024, 9:58 AM

turnersaddlery.com
Excellent quality leather slings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3876.jpg (98.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-11-2024, 7:38 AM

Before buying a sling for a Mini-14 check the dimensions of the swivels. They varied a lot over the years. I have a new Mini-14 Ranch Rifle that was purchased a few months ago. I bought one of the 1" width M-1 Garand style web slings and the metal tab on the end would not pass through the swivels.

Ruger blew it and the inside dimensions of the swivels is just too thin. And they should have made them wider to accommodate 1.5" slings as well.

I ended up buying some nylon webbing on Amazon and some tri-glide buckles and made my own sling.