Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

View Poll Results: Will need a new CCW holster. Which one would you buy?
I would buy another Crossbreed SuperTuck in Horsehide! 14 28.57%
I would buy another Alien Gear Cloak Tuck! 5 10.20%
You don't know what you're missing, you need this instead! 23 46.94%
I would wrap your CCW pistol in either Pancetta or Bacon! 7 14.29%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2023, 9:39 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnfan View Post
Im going to give one of those a shot. Crazy reasonable $ for a hybrid.

I wish I could find appendix to be comfortable, but Ill never understand how people do. Standing around is fine, but even just walking feels ridiculous. Especially with a sidecar. How these cats are walking around with full sized pistols and mags is beyond me.
I carried appendix once. Never again, I don't like have a loaded, charged weapon pointed at my junk, no matter how you justify it.

I carry my G17 at 3'oclock once in a while. It's not bad other than sitting is more uncomfortable. It's do-able but not my first choice. I carry my Shields and Max 9s but when my next renewal comes up in two years, I may add in a compact like the G19 or a Walther PDP with the 4" barrel. Subcompacts are pretty hard to get a good grip on quickly and are more difficult to shoot as accurately as a full sized pistol.

Old 04-20-2023, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member

I have carried my shield in “hidden hybrid holster” brand for about 8 years now. It has been great. The leather backing with the kydex front has been great but for some reason I want a leather holster now. This holsters allows me to carry IWB or even OWB. I would definitely recommend their holsters.

After finding out the popular leather holster maker (Mitt spinks? Can’t remember his name! Lol) has a 34 week lead time, I decided to purchase from TT gun leather last night. I talked to him yesterday and he said I will probably have my holster in 1 month!
Old 04-22-2023, 4:09 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Tier 1 Concealed.
AIWB.

_
Old 05-11-2023, 10:01 AM

Default Thank you all for your input

I have my CCW interview with the SDSO early next month so I'm trying to get comfortable with a IWB holster. The Kydex holster I have holds both my 19 and 26 well but is hard and cuts into my leg while setting AIWB.

So I just ordered the Crossbreed Supertuck holster and am going to try 3:30 - 4:00 carry. I already have my eye on the next holster if this doesn't work. I hope to quit bleeding holster money soon.
Old 05-11-2023, 5:19 PM

there is no a best holster, only best fit you holster. i try so many different holster, expensive one (100) more comfortably better quality. but not that much better than 30 bucks.
now im just used a belly holster. good fit for my gym and causal wear. and i was cheap 12bucks for 2 pack
Old 05-13-2023, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomNotFree View Post
I have my CCW interview with the SDSO early next month so I'm trying to get comfortable with a IWB holster. The Kydex holster I have holds both my 19 and 26 well but is hard and cuts into my leg while setting AIWB.

So I just ordered the Crossbreed Supertuck holster and am going to try 3:30 - 4:00 carry. I already have my eye on the next holster if this doesn't work. I hope to quit bleeding holster money soon.
I do like the Clinger with the comfort pad.
Old 05-13-2023, 9:28 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I do like the Clinger with the comfort pad.
I have three of them now thanks to your post earlier talking up the Clinger Hinge Holster with the pad. Definitely more comfortable than my Crossbreed SuperTuck or Alien Gear holsters. Thanks for the tip!

Old 05-14-2023, 10:14 AM
Banned

Can always add a detachable velcro pillow pad from Mastermind Tactical for comfort and wedge function. I have one attached to the back of my Tulster which is mounted to a PHLster Enigma, great setup for my needs
Old 05-14-2023, 10:20 AM

P365x here.

By far the most comfortable and concealable for me:

Black Arch Holsters, Dual Clip IWB Protos-M with Dri-Matrix breathable Backer

https://www.blackarchholsters.com/products/protos-m/

I also have a PHLster Enigma with the Skeleton holster for track pants and gym shorts, but it’s a bit of a hassle getting on. Once it’s on though, good to go.

https://www.phlsterholsters.com/phlster-enigma/"

Last edited by plinker202020; 05-14-2023 at 10:31 AM..
Old 05-17-2023, 10:46 AM

No mention of a shoulder carry, like a Galco? I can't/won't do IWB.
Old 05-17-2023, 9:04 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblemonkey View Post
No mention of a shoulder carry, like a Galco? I can't/won't do IWB.
It's hot in California. Who wears a jacket/sport coat/suit all day, every day?

Old 05-18-2023, 9:09 AM

Post_51,
Good point regarding weather and location.
A person, for a rule of thumb, have a fall-to-spring season in California of roughly, October to April. Of course, any specific day could be hotter than normal or expected.

Any progress as to narrowing down Post_1's list further?

I know for me, I end up with several holsters for each gun.

Post_50,
I do have several shoulder holsters, but haven't used them in years. It always comes down to personal preference.

For the OP,
If I was limited to ~3 handguns for a California CCW, as many folks are limited, I'd go with the G26/G19/G17 or something similar. I know nothing about the Walther PDP, but if that's a model of choice, then substitute that into the CCW list. Holsters can always be changed and the issuing authorities aren't specifying which holsters to use on its permits or qualifications at this time (or is there an IA out there micro-managing even to that level yet?).

I'm usually merely using some brand & model of kydex IWB holster, but many are discontinued and I suppose replaced with something which may sell better for the manufacturer. I haven't used the brands suggested in Post_1 and have no opinions on those.

If I were buying a holster today, I'd likely go to Amazon.com and choose something. Many of the holsters have similar designs and I'd choose something which has an acceptable delivery date & pricing.

I briefly went to the Crossbreed website and its horsehide option is currently out-of-stock.
https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/s...b-holster.html
Whether horsehide (vs. cowhide) is good/better/desired for the backing of a Crossbreed holster is beyond my knowledge.

https://aliengearholsters.com/alien-...band.html.html
I've now gone to the AlienGearHolsters website and it looks to be a similar design to Crossbreed's holsters.
I've seen someone with such a holster. I recall the guy saying it was very comfortable, but it's large, and takes up 1/3 to 1/2 of the inside pants waistband. I suppose that allows a large area to support whichever handgun is being carried.
I imagine, while comfortable, it could also be hotter in those Spring-to-Fall months of May-to-September in California.

OP, perhaps you can give a holster review once you've bought whichever holster and lived with it for a few months. It'd be interesting to read.

Last edited by L-2; 05-18-2023 at 9:34 AM..
Old 05-18-2023, 7:34 PM
Banned

I have wide hips and a narrow ribcage/waist anything more substantial than a micro 380 prints.
Old 11-17-2023, 7:01 PM

I got 3 for my G27 & G23...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zalT5S13f7U

https://youtu.be/azcaitIQn98?si=3rGlxEMMtn9cigQX

https://youtu.be/ZxHsuK6iqFU?si=aFv5Rj3bSf5DBrj3
Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000.
The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.
Old 11-18-2023, 2:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quick question, what?s the difference between a VM2 and a Criterion? MS are very good holsters about my favorite and I have a VM for my 26 but never own a Crietrion
Old 11-19-2023, 11:57 AM

Default Tulster

Tulster
Old 11-19-2023, 1:20 PM

After hundreds of dollars and many uncomfortable IWB holsters I found the DeSantis Insider, It's an all leather, very well made, excellent belt clip and retention. After a short tine the leather forms to your firearm. And the quality leather can be worn against the skin with comfort all day. I have one for my Glock 24 & 43 and 19 and will get ones for my carry revolvers.
Ironically, I also have gravitated to the Desantis Super Fly pocket holsters for my Ruger LCP, J-Frame's and Seecamp. I'll get one for each of my 3" 1911's too.
https://www.desantisholster.com/the-insider/

4/30/2023 - Live Scan
5/9/2023 - Interview
6/26/2023 - Approval Letter
8/1/2023 - Issued
Old 11-19-2023, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtragi View Post
Quick question, what?s the difference between a VM2 and a Criterion? MS are very good holsters about my favorite and I have a VM for my 26 but never own a Crietrion
The Criterion rides deeper and has a 25 degree cant vs VM2 18 - 20 degree cant. It also comes with the self closing neodymium magnetic belt loop system standard. I love mine (G26).
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain..."
Roy Batty

Last edited by Notpc; 11-19-2023 at 1:32 PM..
Old 11-19-2023, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstmbuilder View Post
I have a Sig P365 and not sure if I should go iwb or owb. Been looking at urban carry lock leather. Anyone have comments or experience with them? Thanks
I have the urban carry lock leather for my p365 and shield 1.0. It is very comfortable, the only gripe I have is the metal clip which puts a hole in my seat as I carry 4 o'clock.
Old 11-19-2023, 5:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtragi View Post
The Criterion rides lower than the Versa Max and also at a steep rake angle.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 11-19-2023, 5:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2023, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Update:

I have been carrying Shield Plus in my Shield 1.0 Crossbreed Supertuck holster for a couple of weeks and so far, I am noticing that the magazine eject button on the Shield Plus protrudes more than the button on the Shield 1.0. I was at the store today, standing in line to check out and I heard a click. I discreetly felt the magazine and yep, the magazine ejected the gun handle. Didn't fall out, it stayed put but this is obviously not a good development.
I have experienced this a few times years ago and it's exactly why I stopped using those Crossbreed style holsters. Any sitting down against something without much give and you run the risk of the mag release button being depressed. Sometimes it would happen to me just driving in the car. The first time it happened I thought it was due to my recently installed extended magazine release but even after going back to the standard length one I experienced that issue a couple of times. That was it for me and I went to kydex. It's more uncomfortable but at least the control buttons on the pistol are enclosed and protected by something rigid. I settled on the Vedder Lighttuck for when I use an IWB holster.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

In Bay Area CA, I only had a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster cuz I wasn't friends with the Sheriff nor gave her a campaign contribution. Only carried (on body) on rare occasion

New to CCW here in WA. Based on some other threads, I bought a Galco KingTuk for a Shield 1.0. Wearing at about 4:30. Midway, last one, Black Friday was only $60. I'm pleased.

I find it very comfortable. I kinda forget it's there though installing a seat belt I tend to get reminded.

Re-holstering is a bit of an exercise, but I'm getting a bit better. Installing/removing the holster pretty much requires dropping trou.

I wouldn't classify it as "quick draw", but I try to pay enough attention to my surroundings that 2 seconds isn't a hindrance.

Open carry is legal here, so I don't worry much about printing though it is rather stealthy with an untucked shirt.

I know I'm in a different land when the sign on the door of gov't building (other than Sheriff so far) says "open carry not permitted, CCW OK". Bars are still off-limits, but at least around here in rural WA, nobody pays attention to that.

I think for Xmas I'm going to get a console vault for when I should lock it up in the vehicle...and maybe another car gun. I'll just keep the holster on. It's that comfortable.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter

Last edited by JagerDog; 12-07-2023 at 10:38 AM..
Old 12-30-2023, 10:18 AM

Am I the only one who uses Safariland holsters. I have one all my carry guns. They meet every need wanted for every day carry.
I don't like the markings that a few brands uses on their belt clips like crossbreed.
Yes I look to see if people print or has belt clips
Old 12-30-2023, 10:23 AM
Rattlesnake Hunter
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Go and find/fit the one that works for you.
I found mine back in 2003 - perfect to this day.
Don’t put thought into what is best for others - go find what works for you.
......GO HERE FOR--► My YouTube Channel

Last edited by ZirconJohn; 12-30-2023 at 10:25 AM..
Old 01-20-2024, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
I have three of them now thanks to your post earlier talking up the Clinger Hinge Holster with the pad. Definitely more comfortable than my Crossbreed SuperTuck or Alien Gear holsters. Thanks for the tip!
Can you share another update? I'm thinking about giving one of these a try. Are all three of yours the same style?
Kind regards
Old 01-20-2024, 8:53 PM
Banned

there is nothing thinner and more concealable than bog standard vacuum formed fold over taco style kydex holsters. their simplicity contributes to their strength. less parts, meaning the parts that exist must be designed to hold up. no pads, neopreen, leather, hooks, claws, and wings. just get a discreet concept carry spring steel clip to further reduce profile. they also tend to be the cheapest too ironically enough.
Old 02-14-2024, 9:57 PM

Has anyone tried a Houston Holsters? My buddy has boxes of holsters, and this is his absolute favorite. When I told him I applied for my CCW he insisted I get one. It’s cheap enough, only worn it around the house as I’m still waiting on my CCW.
Old 02-22-2024, 9:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinker202020 View Post
P365x here.

By far the most comfortable and concealable for me:

Black Arch Holsters, Dual Clip IWB Protos-M with Dri-Matrix breathable Backer

https://www.blackarchholsters.com/products/protos-m/

?
I?ve got a Black Arch Heritage which is very similar, but the backing is simply leather. The big thing with Black Arch is their kydex is ?3/4? and fully encompasses the trigger guard, unlike most if not all other hybrid holster, so you get that kydex retention with a more comfortable backing. The linked holster is probably even more comfortable than the one I have. Overall I?m happy with mine!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4917.jpg (20.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4918.jpg (17.1 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by SigSauerP226; 02-22-2024 at 9:26 AM..
Old 02-28-2024, 12:08 AM
НАТО в Хату!
CGN Contributor

Tulster Oath on Enigma by Phlstef for warm waether and Tulster Oath on Kore nylon belt with jacket weather. Both tuned for comfort with foam wedges. Both cases AIWB. No issues, walk, sit, bend, run. Actually do not feel at all.

In real life: No one