Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-13-2018, 6:12 PM

Default NJ Now has 2 CCW Lawsuits Filed

I must admit I have been very frustrated with what little has been done in NJ when it comes to 2A Rights. As I read about the lawsuits and success you guys have had in CA I couldn't understand why the groups in NJ weren't doing the same; until now.

The ANJRPC which our NRA group in NJ is backing one lawsuit which is Rodgers & ANJRPC v Grewal et al which has gotten a little more exposure and is picking up where Drake left off when Cert was denied. However since Cert was denied Wrenn was decided in favor of CCW. The Cheeseman suit which is attacking the no issue CCW that NJ really is from a different angle. Mark Cheeseman was successful last year in overturning NJ law banning stun guns. Hopefully success is found again. I am hoping this is just the start of the lawsuits.

The Cheeseman Suit is being backed by CNJFO and has a Go Fund Me page and is near it's goal. They have not received direct backing of the NRA, but Scott Bach who is with the ANJRPC has donated himself to the case. If any of you guys could spare a donation to put it over the top it would be greatly appreciated. Any lawsuit in the Anti States could be the one that makes it to SCOTUS and restores the rights for all of us stuck behind the lines. For the record I am not associated with the lawsuits, but I believe in them.

https://www.gofundme.com/restore-carry-nj

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited by capt14k; 02-14-2018 at 6:55 AM..
Old 02-14-2018, 7:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Well, that ought to settle it in about 10 or 20 more years?
Old 02-15-2018, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
Well, that ought to settle it in about 10 or 20 more years?
Once Kennedy retires and is replaced next year I think SCOTUS will take a 2A case again. A carry case first and then a so called assault weapons case. Carry they will extend Heller and MacDonald to outside the home and side with Wrenn decision. AWB they will use sporting sporting and apply strict review to put a stop to mag restrictions, evil features, and banned by name.

Old 02-15-2018, 7:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Roberts calls the shots. Roberts is alergic to controversy.
Old 05-26-2018, 3:39 AM
Veteran Member

Rogers case loses at District Court: https://scholar.google.com/scholar_c...=2&as_sdt=6,49
No surprise since they are bound by precedent. This is good though that they didn't waste any time since there's nothing the District Court could really do. It'll be on to the 3rd Circuit, where it'll lose as well.
Then it'll be denied en banc; even if Trump fills all vacancies, there aren't enough votes.
Then it'll be on to SCOTUS with a split in hand unless another case beats them to it.

Last edited by press1280; 05-26-2018 at 3:43 AM..
Old 05-26-2018, 8:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt14k View Post
I must admit I have been very frustrated with what little has been done in NJ when it comes to 2A Rights. As I read about the lawsuits and success you guys have had in CA I couldn't understand why the groups in NJ weren't doing the same; until now.

The ANJRPC which our NRA group in NJ is backing one lawsuit which is Rodgers & ANJRPC v Grewal et al which has gotten a little more exposure and is picking up where Drake left off when Cert was denied. However since Cert was denied Wrenn was decided in favor of CCW. The Cheeseman suit which is attacking the no issue CCW that NJ really is from a different angle. Mark Cheeseman was successful last year in overturning NJ law banning stun guns. Hopefully success is found again. I am hoping this is just the start of the lawsuits.
Don't forget Pantano and Almeida, both by attny Evan Nappen....
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=812950
Old 05-26-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Thankfully Nappen isn't involved in these cases. I live in the same town as Ricky Pantano. Nappen talked a big game in the papers when NJ Supreme Court suddenly reversed their decision to hear the case. He said he was taking the case to SCOTUS. He left out the part just as soon as he gets $100k payment. ANJRPC and NRA did nothing to back Pantano and the case died.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Those cases are over. Almeida got his permit, apparently he met "justifiable need" after Governor Christie directed a more relaxed standard. But the new Governor reversed that so it'll be interesting if he keeps the permit upon renewal.
Old 05-26-2018, 1:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Lawyers

Follow the money attorneys...
Quote:
Thankfully Nappen isn't involved in these cases. I live in the same town as Ricky Pantano. Nappen talked a big game in the papers when NJ Supreme Court suddenly reversed their decision to hear the case. He said he was taking the case to SCOTUS. He left out the part just as soon as he gets $100k payment. ANJRPC and NRA did nothing to back Pantano and the case died.

John 3:16

NRA,,, Lifer

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 05-27-2018, 9:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
Rogers case loses at District Court: https://scholar.google.com/scholar_c...=2&as_sdt=6,49
No surprise since they are bound by precedent. This is good though that they didn't waste any time since there's nothing the District Court could really do. It'll be on to the 3rd Circuit, where it'll lose as well.
Then it'll be denied en banc; even if Trump fills all vacancies, there aren't enough votes.
Then it'll be on to SCOTUS with a split in hand unless another case beats them to it.
I'd guess it will take 1.5 to 2.5 years for the 3-judge panel of CA3 to decide the Rogers case. Being conservative, that means we can have a sandwich and nap until 2021 Jan 01....

0.25 years for denial of CA3 en banc.

2022 June for SCOTUS decision, if cert. granted?

Last edited by Paladin; 05-27-2018 at 9:48 AM..
Old 05-27-2018, 2:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'd guess it will take 1.5 to 2.5 years for the 3-judge panel of CA3 to decide the Rogers case. Being conservative, that means we can have a sandwich and nap until 2021 Jan 01....

0.25 years for denial of CA3 en banc.

2022 June for SCOTUS decision, if cert. granted?
It really shouldn't take long. No matter who the 3 judge panel is they are bound by the Drake decision. There's not a whole lot for them to do. I wonder if there would even be oral arguments.

I'll say it could be complete in a few months.
Old 05-28-2018, 7:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
It really shouldn't take long. No matter who the 3 judge panel is they are bound by the Drake decision. There's not a whole lot for them to do. I wonder if there would even be oral arguments.

While it isn't controlling for them, they can't just ignore and neglect dealing with Wrenn. They'll have to analyze it and distinguish it or explain why they think it was wrongly decided. That's what appellate judges get paid to do and it's what SCOTUS expects/wants them to do.
Old 05-28-2018, 8:03 AM

Quote:

There are some aspects that differ from Drake and they are arguing Wrenn though not a 3rd Circuit case was correct. This should setup the perfect case for a SCOTUS with Kennedy's replacement.

Old 05-28-2018, 3:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
While it isn't controlling for them, they can't just ignore and neglect dealing with Wrenn. They'll have to analyze it and distinguish it or explain why they think it was wrongly decided. That's what appellate judges get paid to do and it's what SCOTUS expects/wants them to do.

Oh yes they can. They might not, but they CAN.

After all this time, you guys STILL haven’t figured out that courts can do whatever they damned well please without consequence to themselves?!? Astonishing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. You break your oath to uphold the Constitution if you don't refuse to enforce unadjudicated laws you believe are Unconstitutional.

The real world laughs at optimism. And here's why.
Old 05-28-2018, 7:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbrown View Post
Oh yes they can. They might not, but they CAN.

After all this time, you guys STILL haven’t figured out that courts can do whatever they damned well please without consequence to themselves?!? Astonishing...
I was talking practically.

Even the antis on SCOTUS want to hear what lower court antis have to say re. Wrenn because they don't want to miss any possible anti arguments and to help them develop their own anti arguments.

Of course, if the antis feel that Wrenn is invulnerable, they'll go right ahead an ignore it. But if Trump gets to replace Kennedy or an anti (I consider Kennedy to be a mugwump re. the 2nd A), this, hopefully, is all academic.
Old 05-29-2018, 2:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Even the antis on SCOTUS want to hear what lower court antis have to say re. Wrenn because they don't want to miss any possible anti arguments and to help them develop their own anti arguments.
Whatever FOR??? They’re on SCOTUS. If they’re in the majority then whatever decision they issue is final and arguments become irrelevant. If they’re in the minority then their purpose is to define how the lower courts should defy the majority opinion, the way Stevens and Breyer did in Heller. Either way, the arguments of the lower court are of no use to them.

Quote:
Of course, if the antis feel that Wrenn is invulnerable, they'll go right ahead an ignore it. But if Trump gets to replace Kennedy or an anti (I consider Kennedy to be a mugwump re. the 2nd A), this, hopefully, is all academic.

They could well ignore it anyway. The ONLY reason for them not to is to provide other courts with “reasoning” to use in support of upholding carry bans.

The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. You break your oath to uphold the Constitution if you don't refuse to enforce unadjudicated laws you believe are Unconstitutional.

Old 05-29-2018, 7:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

The 3 judge panel is bound by precedent since no SCOTUS opinion has since said otherwise. If we get a good panel, there may be some discussion and possibly an agreement with Wrenn. Result will be the same.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Whatever FOR??? They’re on SCOTUS.
I was talking about the 3 judge panel.

Quote:
If they’re in the majority then whatever decision they issue is final and arguments become irrelevant. If they’re in the minority then their purpose is to define how the lower courts should defy the majority opinion, the way Stevens and Breyer did in Heller. Either way, the arguments of the lower court are of no use to them.
You assume the antis on SCOTUS will dismiss what arguments antis on federal CAs may make without you even know what those arguments are?

Quote:
They could well ignore it anyway. The ONLY reason for them not to is to provide other courts with “reasoning” to use in support of upholding carry bans.
I believe I agree with you here, regardless if "they" are antis on the CA3 panel or antis in the minority on SCOTUS. But the latter would have a harder ignoring Wrenn since I assume that a pro 2nd A majority on SCOTUS would address it. But that's just a reasonable assumption on my part.

Quote:
The 3 judge panel is bound by precedent since no SCOTUS opinion has since said otherwise. If we get a good panel, there may be some discussion and possibly an agreement with Wrenn. Result will be the same.
Yes, Wrenn is not controlling on them, but when a sister appellate court came to an opposite conclusion, just pretending it doesn't exist is for B or C students....

Last edited by Paladin; 05-29-2018 at 12:14 PM..
Old 05-29-2018, 1:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I was talking about the 3 judge panel.
Oh. You said “the antis on SCOTUS”. That’s what I was responding to.

I realize that you are primarily discussing what the 3 judge panel will say, but you were talking about their justification for addressing Wrenn, with one of those justifications being that the antis on SCOTUS would be interested in it. That is what I dispute here. The antis on SCOTUS have no reason at all to be interested in what the lower courts have to say as regards Wrenn, because if the antis are a majority then they will simply say there is no right to carry and that’s that. And if the antis are a minority then they will be interested only in showing lower courts how to ignore the majority decision, something that a lower court decision obviously cannot address. Neither option can possibly make use of anything the lower courts have to say.

Quote:
You assume the antis on SCOTUS will dismiss what arguments antis on federal CAs may make without you even know what those arguments are?
Yes, because their position of power makes those arguments irrelevant in the case where the antis comprise a majority, and the lower courts’ arguments are of no use in the event they are a minority since you can’t know how best to thumb your nose at a majority opinion without first knowing what that opinion states.

Quote:
I believe I agree with you here, regardless if "they" are antis on the CA3 panel or antis in the minority on SCOTUS. But the latter would have a harder ignoring Wrenn since I assume that a pro 2nd A majority on SCOTUS would address it. But that's just a reasonable assumption on my part.
A pro 2A majority would certainty address it. But the minority won’t be concerned with how to counter Wrenn in that case, they’ll be concerned with how to instruct lower courts to ignore the majority opinion. That’s a VERY different thing.

Either way, the point is that SCOTUS provides no logical justification for the lower courts to address Wrenn at all, at least when issuing an anti-carry decision (a pro-carry decision will, of course, use Wrenn for support, but that’s not the situation we’re discussing here).

Quote:
Yes, Wrenn is not controlling on them, but when a sister appellate court came to an opposite conclusion, just pretending it doesn't exist is for B or C students....

If there were some real danger of a divided and uncertain upper court fielding the case, this would be true. But there is no such danger here. SCOTUS will not be divided in that way. It is NOW, and we know exactly what happens under those circumstances: it denies cert.

The only way SCOTUS grants cert to a loss for us is when it is NOT uncertain, one way or the other. And in that case, it is irrelevant what the lower court says. SCOTUS will issue the decision it wishes to issue, and that’s that. Welcome to the outcome-oriented political judiciary we have today.

Last edited by kcbrown; 05-29-2018 at 2:55 PM..
Old 05-30-2018, 3:01 PM
Veteran Member

If it's any indication, the District Court did address Wrenn. And, plaintiffs are specifically asking to re-assess in light of Wrenn, even though they can't change the outcome.
Could they flat out ignore Wrenn? I guess so, however, it would seem to be in bad practice. Even a passing mention of Wrenn in the opinion will go much farther with SCOTUS than plaintiffs simply saying it in their cert. brief.

Last edited by press1280; 05-30-2018 at 3:04 PM..
Old 05-30-2018, 3:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
If it's any indication, the District Court did address Wrenn. And, plaintiffs are specifically asking to re-assess in light of Wrenn, even though they can't change the outcome.

Could they flat out ignore Wrenn? I guess so, however, it would seem to be in bad practice. Even a passing mention of Wrenn in the opinion will go much farther with SCOTUS than plaintiffs simply saying it in their cert. brief.

It would certainly be very bad form for them to ignore Wrenn under those circumstances. That doesn’t put it beyond the realm of possibility, of course. We’ve seen the 9th circuit do similar things without consequence.

My only real objection was with the notion that the court “has to” address Wrenn. It obviously doesn’t and doesn’t even have a lot of incentive to do so, save perhaps for avoiding some kind of procedural grounds for SCOTUS review. But even that isn’t really applicable here. SCOTUS has been going out of its way to avoid taking ANY 2A cases. Caetano is the only one that was compelling enough to cause them to do so, and their reasons had nothing to do with anything present in these carry cases.

You really need to disabuse yourself of the notion of going further with SCOTUS in all this. The nature of the political situation is such that the lower courts can behave about as badly as they want and SCOTUS will not lift a finger to correct that when there are firearms involved, and that’s basically that. When the balance on the court changes, then the outcome may change but the behavior of the lower courts, whether good or bad, STILL won’t change the outcome.

To illustrate, let me ask plainly: do you really think a pro-2A SCOTUS would uphold an anti-2A opinion, no matter how well the lower court argues, or overturn a pro-2A opinion no matter how badly the lower court argues it? Similarly, do you really think an anti-2A SCOTUS would overturn an anti-2A decision no matter how egregious the behavior of the lower court, or uphold a pro-2A one no matter how well argued? Obviously the answer is “no” to all of that. But that clearly means that there is no path in which the behavior of the lower court is relevant to the outcome. Which means there IS no going further with SCOTUS as regards the outcome.

Note that I’m not talking about a fractured SCOTUS in the above, which is what we have now. What we have now guarantees cert denial for all but a case like Caetano, where a “non lethal” weapon, a heart-wrenching plaintiff in a criminal case, and direct and complete contravention of explicitly-stated precedent are all simultaneously involved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 05-30-2018, 3:48 PM

I believe Thomas, Alito, and Gorsuch are comping at the bit for a 2A case. Roberts won't take on one til Kennedy is replaced for fear of losing. Once Kennedy is replaced SCOTUS will take on 2A cases. Certainly if RBG kicks the bucket and is replaced by a GOP POTUS they will as well. I think Kennedy will retire very soon.

Old 05-31-2018, 3:48 PM

Quote:
I believe Thomas, Alito, and Gorsuch are comping at the bit for a 2A case. Roberts won't take on one til Kennedy is replaced for fear of losing. Once Kennedy is replaced SCOTUS will take on 2A cases. Certainly if RBG kicks the bucket and is replaced by a GOP POTUS they will as well. I think Kennedy will retire very soon.

Kennedy is better on gun rights then Roberts and Altito
Old 05-31-2018, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
Kennedy is better on gun rights then Roberts and Altito
I don't know about that. Alito dissented on Hughes Amendment case. Also said his 2A rulings will be based on what would Scalia do. Roberts is a wild card, but not as bad as everyone thinks. He wrote the majority and the dissent on Obamacare proving he changed his mind last minute. I still think he was blackmailed into doing so. They say over his illegally adopted Irish children.

Old 07-23-2018, 9:28 AM

NJ Rogers case will be over soon at the 3rd Circuit...next up, One First...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Document.pdf (168.1 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by krucam; 07-23-2018 at 9:37 AM..
Old 07-23-2018, 3:08 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, not going to get carry yet. I think Roberts is too controversy-averse to say, "Yes, non-prohibited citizens can all carry in some manner"

I think the present court would give us a win on things like AWBs, mag caps, Rosters, 10-day waiting periods and 2nd waiting periods, but not carry.

But if the midterms pass without losing the majority in the Senate, and RBG / Breyer conveniently then immediately decide to retire, Trump can appoint a very pro-2A Justice, and then we can haz carry.....I think.
Old 07-23-2018, 3:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
Yeah, not going to get carry yet. I think Roberts is too controversy-averse to say, "Yes, non-prohibited citizens can all carry in some manner"

I think the present court would give us a win on things like AWBs, mag caps, Rosters, 10-day waiting periods and 2nd waiting periods, but not carry.

But if the midterms pass without losing the majority in the Senate, and RBG / Breyer conveniently then immediately decide to retire, Trump can appoint a very pro-2A Justice, and then we can haz carry.....I think.
I think carry will be easier than AWB & waiting periods. Too much precedent on public carry and the NJ law is especially ripe for the picking since there's no open/concealed differentiation in the law.
Old 07-23-2018, 3:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I think carry will be easier than AWB & waiting periods. Too much precedent on public carry and the NJ law is especially ripe for the picking since there's no open/concealed differentiation in the law.
When you say, "precedent on public carry" to which decisions do you refer?
Old 07-23-2018, 4:18 PM

Moore, Wrenn and Peruta (only concealed can be banned) make the case for a split...
Old 07-24-2018, 9:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
When you say, "precedent on public carry" to which decisions do you refer?
19th century state cases plus the few recent ones.
Old 09-25-2018, 5:36 AM
Veteran Member

Rogers was granted motion to dismiss on September 21st. They can now file for cert or en banc (which is a waste of time in this case).
I hope they hurry because Rothery is already waiting on deck and this a is MUCH better case IMO.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It's been almost 4 months. Any news on these NJ cases, Rogers and Cheeseman & Jillard?

Anyone have links to dockets for either of them?
Old 01-22-2019, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
It's been almost 4 months. Any news on these NJ cases, Rogers and Cheeseman & Jillard?

Amici brief filed by 22 states in Rogers

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketP...3%20States.pdf

Docket page:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....ic/18-824.html

I'm not sure SCOTUS is ready for carry but we will see how far Roberts is willing to go in the next few years. Circuit split in Wrenn makes a big difference.
Old 01-23-2019, 2:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I think Cheeseman is over (I want to say he got a permit). Rogers is petitioning for cert right now.

Never heard of Jillard.
Old 01-23-2019, 3:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I think Cheeseman is over (I want to say he got a permit). Rogers is petitioning for cert right now.

Never heard of Jillard.
Jillard was co plaintiff with Cheeseman.
Old 01-23-2019, 4:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Never heard of Jillard.
If the Cheeseman-Jillard case is really over (Does anyone have a link showing that is true?), then this thread should be locked and the Roger case discussed in its own thread at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1498027
Old 01-23-2019, 4:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Shame how NJ, NY, and Cali have turned gun enthusiasts into part time lawyers to sort thru the myriad of tangled rules and regs anti guns. Burdens on law enforcement are many as a result. Lawyers get job security...
John 3:16

NRA,,, Lifer

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 01-23-2019, 5:54 PM

Where did you hear Cheeseman got his permit? Cheeseman and Jilliard were the same case and last I knew they filed separate appeals and were denied again by NJ appellate court and they are waiting on NJ Supreme Court decision on cert which should be about now.

Old 01-28-2019, 2:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Where did you hear Cheeseman got his permit? Cheeseman and Jilliard were the same case and last I knew they filed separate appeals and were denied again by NJ appellate court and they are waiting on NJ Supreme Court decision on cert which should be about now.

My bad, I think I got Cheesman mixed up with Almeida.

http://njlaw.rutgers.edu/collections...12-17.opn.html

Looks like a loss at the state appeals court. I don't know if he's appealing to the NJ Supreme Court or not.
Old 01-28-2019, 7:15 PM

Quote:
My bad, I think I got Cheesman mixed up with Almeida.

http://njlaw.rutgers.edu/collections...12-17.opn.html

Looks like a loss at the state appeals court. I don't know if he's appealing to the NJ Supreme Court or not.
Yes I believe they are appealing. I would be pissed if he got permit and dropped like Almeida. He promised that would not happen because of the route their lawsuit is taking. Giving him permit wouldn't end his standing. Something with Certari Rule.