Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 11-11-2018, 8:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default SCOTUS watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless View Post
What we do have going for us is that Thomas has served on the court for 26 years. He's had a long run, so it's not like his retirement would be premature.

He’s only 70. I would think he still has a ways to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-11-2018, 8:54 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
He’s only 70. I would think he still has a ways to go.
But not 3 more terms, assuming Trump takes 2020 and we get an unfriendly for 8 years starting in 2024.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 11-12-2018, 7:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Thomas would have to announce early enough for Trump's replacement to be confirmed before the election.
And even then, holy hell will break out.
Kavanaugh was nominated before a MIDTERM and the dems were going nuts about there "being no rush"... of course, they felt they could take the Senate.
A similar confirmation hearing in the summer of 2019 will be Kavanaugh X1,000 with mud slinging and "late releases of bad news" to push it until after the election.... then it will be Garland all over again.
I think you meant "the summer of 2020" -- the summer before the next presidential election. If so, that would certainly NOT be the time to have 2 SCOTUS justices leave the Court and both having to be replaced. That would cause the Dems to go (more) nuts. Since Thomas can't predict when another justice will "leave", all he can do is choose when he will leave. If 2 justices have to be replaced over a summer, better for it to be next summer, 2019, rather than 2020 before the next election. Thus, I predict Thomas retires next summer.

Last edited by Paladin; 11-12-2018 at 8:25 AM..
Old 11-12-2018, 8:30 AM

Don't want to see him go, but yeah, don't want to risk losing the current balance. I assume both he and Alito want to rule on some gun cases before they leave the bench... based on all of their cert dissents I get the impression they are fuming and ready to lay the smack down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I think you meant "the summer of 2020" -- the summer before the next presidential election. If so, that would certainly NOT be the time to have 2 SCOTUS justices leave the Court and both having to be replaced. That would cause the Dems to go (more) nuts. Since Thomas can't predict when another justice will "leave", all he can do is choose when he will leave. If 2 justices have to be replaced over a summer, better for it to be next summer, 2019, rather than 2020 before the next election. Thus, I predict Thomas retires next summer.
Old 11-12-2018, 9:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thomas would have to announce early enough for Trump's replacement to be confirmed before the election.
And even then, holy hell will break out.
Kavanaugh was nominated before a MIDTERM and the dems were going nuts about there "being no rush"... of course, they felt they could take the Senate.
A similar confirmation hearing in the summer of 2019 will be Kavanaugh X1,000 with mud slinging and "late releases of bad news" to push it until after the election.... then it will be Garland all over again.

The left doesn't care about consistency... they only draw on the population's short attention span and flat out lie saying "You did it then, it should be done the same way now!"

Honestly, Trump needs to solidify the court with a younger replacement for Thomas, then throw the dems a bone and nominate Garland to replace RBG (while continuing to pack the appellate courts.)

Ya... maybe no on Garland
Thomas is rumored to have his own set of health issues. So if he voluntarily stepping down in 2019 to be replaced by a younger pro 2A judge, this would bolster a conservative SCOTUS viewpoint. (The Dems will still scream bloody murder). As far Galand as an RBG replacement to throw Dems bone, it’s clear the Dems would never be so gracious if they controlled the Senate. Also consider Roberts is still a wild card. He may morph into the old Kennedy swing vote role. I think it best any vacancy be filled by strict constitutionalist jurist.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:50 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Ya, you're right.
For some reason I was thinking the election was next year

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
(The Dems will still scream bloody murder).
Good.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:59 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Thomas is rumored to have his own set of health issues. So if he voluntarily stepping down in 2019 to be replaced by a younger pro 2A judge, this would bolster a conservative SCOTUS viewpoint. (The Dems will still scream bloody murder). As far Galand as an RBG replacement to throw Dems bone, it’s clear the Dems would never be so gracious if they controlled the Senate. Also consider Roberts is still a wild card. He may morph into the old Kennedy swing vote role. I think it best any vacancy be filled by strict constitutionalist jurist.
Agreed 100%.
We can't bank on Trump winning 2020, so any "strategic" retirements would need to be made within the next 12 months e.g. end of the current session.
Roberts has always scared me. He's always been a pretty solid conservative, but the recent cert denials do not bode well for the future of the SCOTUS defending the 2A.

And I was kidding about Garland. Even if Trump were to nominate Garland, the left would find some kind of problem with him because Trump.

Quote:
Old 11-18-2018, 9:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Mentally, Sotomayor sounds sharp, content and confident.

Physically, she looks 74 yo, not 64. That's a lifetime of Type 1 diabetes catching up to her.

ETA: note well how she says as a justice, the other justices are those whom you'll be working with, not "the rest of your life," but "most of the remainder of your life." I think Sotomayor won't work until she drops, she's planning on retiring before "dying with her robe on."

Last edited by Paladin; 11-18-2018 at 10:09 PM..
Old 11-19-2018, 3:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Mentally, Sotomayor sounds sharp, content and confident.

Physically, she looks 74 yo, not 64. That's a lifetime of Type 1 diabetes catching up to her.

ETA: note well how she says as a justice, the other justices are those whom you'll be working with, not "the rest of your life," but "most of the remainder of your life." I think Sotomayor won't work until she drops, she's planning on retiring before "dying with her robe on."

They are all hoping outlast Trump assuming he get booted in 2020. Not sure if the Senate will honor not considering SCOTUS confirmations the year of a Presidential election. We may only be looking at a 14 month window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2018, 4:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
They are all hoping outlast Trump assuming he get booted in 2020. Not sure if the Senate will honor not considering SCOTUS confirmations the year of a Presidential election. We may only be looking at a 14 month window.
Unless Trump isn't on the ballot in 2020 Nov, Trump is not "lame duck" until AFTER the election AND he lost reelection.
Old 11-19-2018, 7:50 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Unless Trump isn't on the ballot in 2020 Nov, Trump is not "lame duck" until AFTER the election AND he lost reelection.
Yup.
Obama was a lame duck because he never used his pen and phone to repeal the 22nd Amendment

Schumer and Schiff-for-brains want to extend that to midterms?

Quote:
Old 11-26-2018, 10:39 PM

Santa Monica Observer suggests RBG to retire January 2019: https://www.smobserved.com/story/201...2019/3658.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
Today's so called republican conservatives are far more liberal than a 1960's democrat. No way would a 1960's democrat put up with this nonsense.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newport View Post
Santa Monica Observer suggests RBG to retire January 2019: https://www.smobserved.com/story/201...2019/3658.html
"Malignant" just means that it's cancerous.

With the close observation following cancer patients, it's unlikely to be more than skin deep (cutaneous)

From https://www.skincancer.org/publicati...ol-32-no-2/men

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 11-26-2018 at 10:54 PM..
Old 11-27-2018, 6:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinsinia View Post
It also says she has melanoma , and I don't think most of her body has seen the sun in decades.
We already talked about the skin cancer news. Is it possible for double cancer patients to randomly get melanoma ?
Old 11-27-2018, 6:29 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
I’m not putting too much faith in this clown. This is the same dude who stated that Trump would fire Sessions at the end of August. https://www.smobserved.com/story/201...2018/3609.html

The story on RBG appears to be “aged” and written previous to the elections (in fact, during the Kavanaugh hearings):
Quote:
While the Nation is preoccupied with the appointment of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to replace Justice Anthony Kennedy, it appears there will soon be another vacancy on the US Supreme Court.
~snip~
Kavanaugh is a player in this drama. He's in the wrong place at the wrong time . President Donald J Trump will be replacing Notorious RBG, the lovechild of the left, and so will remake the Supreme Court for a generation. The Democrats simply must win back the Senate in November 2018, progressives feel.
It also doesn’t mention RBG’s fall on Nov 8.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 11-27-2018 at 6:43 AM..
Old 11-27-2018, 6:41 AM

Quote:
We already talked about the skin cancer news. Is it possible for double cancer patients to randomly get melanoma ?
Cancer is always possible.

Having gone through two bouts with different cancers (Scorecard: Me:2; Cancer:0), all that having cancer tells you is that you CAN get cancer.

More telling is her survival of pancreatic cancer. She was treated in 1990. The survival rates for women are:
1 year: 20.1%
5 yrs: 3.1%
10 yrs: 1.1%

And that’s with “General” health care in England and Wales. She’s getting top-shelf care due to her position.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/hea...l#heading-Zero

Last edited by Dvrjon; 11-27-2018 at 12:44 PM..
Old 11-27-2018, 11:07 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Appears to be an old article, re-released two days ago for some reason:
Quote:
While the Nation is preoccupied with the appointment of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to replace Justice Anthony Kennedy, it appears there will soon be another vacancy on the US Supreme Court
<snip>
She has told key Democratic members of the Senate about her medical condition, including ranking Democratic member of the Judiciary Committee Dianne Feinstein. This explains in part the "take no prisoners" attitude of the Democrats during the Kavanaugh nomination, carefully orchestrating weak 37 year old allegations against Kavanaugh by Women he barely remembers knowing in High School and College.
Kavanaugh is a player in this drama. He's in the wrong place at the wrong time . President Donald J Trump will be replacing Notorious RBG, the lovechild of the left, and so will remake the Supreme Court for a generation. The Democrats simply must win back the Senate in November 2018, progressives feel.
That highlighted lines were not written this week, or even this month.

Quote:
Old 11-27-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Appears to be an old article, re-released two days ago for some reason:
That highlighted lines were not written this week, or even this month.
Um, yeah.
Old 11-28-2018, 9:48 AM
Veteran Member

Here's an interesting article I found about RBG. Some choice quotes below,

Quote:
About a week before her latest fall, I sat through a pair of tedious Supreme Court arguments about arbitration, so I got to see the Ginsburg most Americans do not. She was engaged in the arguments, but her speech is increasingly difficult to understand. As has long been the case, people strained to listen when she asked a question—a hot bench went quiet.
Quote:
When a Supreme Court session adjourns, the public isn’t allowed to depart until all the justices have left the bench. After the arbitration arguments were gaveled to a close, I got up to leave with the rest of the onlookers. But then everyone stopped. All of the justices had left except for Ginsburg, who was having trouble getting out of her chair. There was an embarrassed silence as members of the press, the bar, and the public tried not to gape as Ginsburg mustered the courage to descend a single step off the bench and finally disappeared behind the red curtain. The contrast between the real-world Ginsburg and the comic-book superheroine of social media was striking.
I had been thinking recently of going to D.C. to see this type of thing first hand. Is she able to move properly or speak properly, it seems not.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...g-obama-trump/
Old 11-28-2018, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

I used to think it was bad Karma and tacky to say I hope she eats it before 2020. But over time I’ve come to realize we are talking about the future of our country and rights.

She might hold on two years, but there’s no way she’s going to make it through a second Trump term. She’s unbelievably frail.
Old 11-29-2018, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Bad link. Try this:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...g-obama-trump/
Old 11-29-2018, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I used to think it was bad Karma and tacky to say I hope she eats it before 2020. But over time I’ve come to realize we are talking about the future of our country and rights.

She might hold on two years, but there’s no way she’s going to make it through a second Trump term. She’s unbelievably frail.
The way Trump is going it will be President Biden in 2020. The 2016 House and Senate have screwed him by not passing immigration reform, not funding the wall. On top of that he has pissed off many groups with tarrifs (even though they have led to some decent traded deals), and his plan to ban bump stocks and comments like "take their guns first and sort it out later".

While none of the votes from the right count here in California, there are lots of other red/purple states that he won in 2016 that he will likely lose in 2020 for the reasons above.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Just for selecting judges, especially SCOTUS, is why I voted for Trump. If the Senate backs his nominations, it's all worth it.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdsmith505 View Post
That was a pretty brutal slap down of RBG and anyone who insisted that she shouldn't retire when Obama could have replaced her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Just for selecting judges, especially SCOTUS, is why I voted for Trump. If the Senate backs his nominations, it's all worth it.
Me too, but not everyone in the swing states did.
Old 12-21-2018, 9:08 AM
Veteran Member

RGB has lung cancer.

https://apnews.com/31f076cd5ad34e488...ign=SocialFlow
Old 12-21-2018, 9:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I am sooo sorry to hear this. I hope she retires to focus on her health and to share her remaining years with family & friends (vs opposing our legal, political and religious heritages).

ETA: Do we have any doctors who will know if she has to get on chemo? I've heard that can really take a physical toll. That could force her to retire.

ETA2: After all, back during the campaign in 2016, didn't she express a desire to retire in New Zealand if Trump won? This could be the justifiable opportunity she's been waiting for!

Last edited by Paladin; 12-21-2018 at 9:31 AM..
Old 12-21-2018, 9:37 AM

Dang. If she did not fracture her ribs, those tumors would not have been found maybe for another half a year or more, and could have spread.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I am sooo sorry to hear this. I hope she retires to focus on her health and to share her remaining years with family & friends (vs opposing our legal, political and religious heritages).

ETA: Do we have any doctors who will know if she has to get on chemo? I've heard that can really take a physical toll. That could force her to retire.

ETA2: After all, back during the campaign in 2016, didn't she express a desire to retire in New Zealand if Trump won? This could be the justifiable opportunity she's been waiting for!
Old bag will probably ride it out the next two years. I'm rooting for her to drop though. I doubt she can even function in her daily life, let alone on the highest court of the US. She needs to get gone.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

I think she was on chemo prior the breaking her ribs. That's why she appeared so tired on some of her public appearances. Her broken ribs may have been because of the chemo. When the chemo didn't work out, they decided to perform the surgery.

I'm sure we have some cancer survivors , does chemo come first or last?
Old 12-21-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantedamean View Post
Old bag will probably ride it out the next two years. I'm rooting for her to drop though. I doubt she can even function in her daily life, let alone on the highest court of the US. She needs to get gone.
Some people think the left will do whatever it takes to prop her up until a suitable replacement can be put in place. They're experienced at dealing with this kind of thing.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Reading over the sidebar material at the DailyMail gives me more optimism that RBG may be retiring sooner rather than later. This procedure is more involved than I thought. She didn't just have the nodules removed, she had an entire lobe of her left lung removed. She's probably on a ventilator right now and will be for a few days. After that, she may have difficulty breathing.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ved-lungs.html
Old 12-21-2018, 11:05 AM

I'm actually sad to hear that and will pray for her. I do wish she would retire just to enjoy the rest of her life, but I would never wish for this.

John 14:6
Old 12-21-2018, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I think she was on chemo prior the breaking her ribs. That's why she appeared so tired on some of her public appearances. Her broken ribs may have been because of the chemo. When the chemo didn't work out, they decided to perform the surgery.

I'm sure we have some cancer survivors , does chemo come first or last?
It can come first or last depending on how the cancer develops.

Right now she has not had chemo for her lung, but had an entire lobe removed in order to prevent spreading. This is an indication it was in early stages I or II most likely.

This is her third cancer and anything could happen, but if surgery was enough the survival rate is very high for 5 years ~80%. If the cancer has a property that makes it easier to metastasize to her lymphnodes, then it is about ~40-50% 5 year survival.

5 year survival doesn’t really matter when we are only two years from a possible liberal president.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
It depends. They just did the surgery today. It'll be some time before the the final pathology report is done. I'm sure they took some lymph nodes too. For non-VIPs pathology usually takes a few days or so, although in rare cases it may take longer.

Subsequent treatment will depend on what kind of tumor it is, and its staging. Staging is complicated.

I saw one report that said the initial pathology report was a non-small-cell lung cancer. It wasn't clear if that was based on biopsies of the nodule before the surgery, or a rapid frozen section during the surgery, or a preliminary pathology report after the surgery.

For NSCLC, chemotherapy is often part of the treatment.

I wouldn't hazard any guesses at this point.

Most people are out of the hospital within a few days of a lobectomy.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:20 AM
I need a LIFE!!

after seeing the news today, I knew this thread would flare up lol
Old 12-21-2018, 11:21 AM
code Monkey

Joking aside, this is a horrific position for a human to be in. She could have retired under Obama (when she should have). But she was certain Hillary was going to win, and wanted the special privilege of having her replacement be nominated by the first female president. Her hubris has thrown her into a nightmare: 85 years old, perilously prone to injury and illness, currently suffering cracked ribs and recovering from having a fifth of her left lung surgically removed. Not able to stop working for at least two more years.... it's just a nightmare for her. For this to be the way anyone spends their last years on the planet....... dang.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

She deserves it. ^^
Old 12-21-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
two years from a possible liberal president.
Socialist. You misspelled socialist.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:44 AM

Default The war cometh

But think of the battle if Trump tries to appoint someone should he be in that position. Nasty.