Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-23-2018, 3:59 PM

72 in a few years?

It's not like he's swinging a hammer for a living...

Rbg is 84, if that's the comparison you're making. She would have had to retire at 80 to let 0 to replace her

Last edited by superdave50; 01-23-2018 at 4:03 PM..
Old 01-23-2018, 4:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrw1911 View Post
Another question is, will Justice Thomas retire before the next election and give Trump a chance to nominate a young conservative. Thomas will be 72 in a few years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivedabizness View Post
I hope not! He's solid!
Thomas is an overweight 69 year old black male. He's just as likely to drop dead from a heart attack as Scalia was or RBG/Kennedy currently are. If he retired and was replaced with another Gorsuch it would be a big win for us. Yes we need a majority, but having a 5/4 majority for two years only to be replaced by a 4/5 minority and 54 year old liberal justice really isn't going to do us much good.
Old 01-23-2018, 4:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrw1911 View Post
Another question is, will Justice Thomas retire before the next election and give Trump a chance to nominate a young conservative. Thomas will be 72 in a few years.

He may. Although he’s young comparatively for SCOTUS but not in the best of health. He’s known as Silent Clarence. So his opinion of Trump is not clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2018, 4:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
It's really unlikely to curl up and die from hypoglycemia.

Sure, it's possible, and people do - but most of the time those are from either secondary causes (passing out while driving) or collapsing unobserved and not receiving attention for considerable time.

It's generally not debilitating and is pretty easy to manage. I worked with a guy who had it, and he said if he was found passed out, give him some regular soda and call the ambulance. In 5 years of working with the guy it never came to that.

I believe her issue is type 1 diabetes, she’s had for 50 years, which improperly medicated causes swings in blood sugar that can result in diabetic or hypoglycemic shock. The average life span for a female with diabetes is 68. She is 63. Ticktoc ticktoc.
Old 01-23-2018, 5:19 PM

From post #8; I'll repost this link that most presidents have two Supreme Court picks in a 4 year term!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

I like the train of thought of post #11!
Old 01-27-2018, 6:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Another article about how RBG has no intention to resign anytime soon.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/politics/...4-12530181.php
Old 01-27-2018, 8:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post

I would love to see the video of her working out.. I wonder how vigorous it is..
Old 01-27-2018, 9:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinsinia View Post
I would love to see the video of her working out.. I wonder how vigorous it is..
Well, it's not RBG working out, but it is RBG's workout and trainer.

Last edited by Paladin; 01-27-2018 at 9:43 PM..
Old 01-27-2018, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post

Somebody buy her a ladder to change her lightbulbs at home while she’s alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2018, 10:17 PM
Calguns Addict

The question isn't who will retire, eventually Ginsberg will die as will Kennedy.

The question is will the republicans hold the senate, and it looks like they will, and possibly flip a state or two.

https://ballotpedia.org/United_States_Senate

Its too bad Flake was driven out of the party and his seat in Arizona. Its too bad we lost Alabama.....poor politics, very poor judgement on the part of Trump, maybe he will stop the attacks on his own senators. Maybe not. Probably not. Impulse control seems to be an issue for him.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:19 PM
CGSSA Associate

That was hard to watch
Old 01-28-2018, 1:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivedabizness View Post
I hope not! He's solid!
it would still be a plus if he was retired during Trumps administration - getting someone in there 25 years younger secures that seat from another questionable administration getting that pick

as solid it as he may be, he can't beat time and these picks are somewhat a game of chess

as much as RBG holds on waiting for her type of administration to replace her, the same has to be considered on our side of the game - better to replace one a few years too soon versus running the risk of that seat being in control of the wrong party when it comes up for grabs

RBG took a huge gamble by not retiring during the Obama administration, maybe she thought Hillary was a lock and she could retire then, giving Clinton the pick for her successor

now, she's faced with having to hope she can outlast Trump during this administration which could go 2 terms - she's already frail, even with her training regime time is not being kind to her
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
I hate you FalconLair!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROKS
I hate you FalconLair! I double hate you if you get it before Christmas!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
They hate you FalconLair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greta
HOW DARE YOU!! I hate you FalconLair
Old 01-28-2018, 8:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

"Weekend At Ruthy's"?

Even if dead she will be propped up for a couple more terms...
Old 01-28-2018, 10:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconLair View Post
it would still be a plus if he was retired during Trumps administration - getting someone in there 25 years younger secures that seat from another questionable administration getting that pick

as solid it as he may be, he can't beat time and these picks are somewhat a game of chess

as much as RBG holds on waiting for her type of administration to replace her, the same has to be considered on our side of the game - better to replace one a few years too soon versus running the risk of that seat being in control of the wrong party when it comes up for grabs

RBG took a huge gamble by not retiring during the Obama administration, maybe she thought Hillary was a lock and she could retire then, giving Clinton the pick for her successor

now, she's faced with having to hope she can outlast Trump during this administration which could go 2 terms - she's already frail, even with her training regime time is not being kind to her
I'm not sure you can get the Republican senate to confirm another conservative, not with a 50-49 margin (McCain appears to not be able to perform his duties). Even were McCain to be replaced you still have a few RINOs to deal with.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den60 View Post
I'm not sure you can get the Republican senate to confirm another conservative, not with a 50-49 margin (McCain appears to not be able to perform his duties). Even were McCain to be replaced you still have a few RINOs to deal with.
i see your point - that's an internal issue with Republicans, still better dealing with that versus dealing with a democrat President getting to do the nominating

one more reason the 2018 elections will be very important - it's assured Trump won't get any help from the Democrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
I hate you FalconLair!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROKS
I hate you FalconLair! I double hate you if you get it before Christmas!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
They hate you FalconLair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greta
HOW DARE YOU!! I hate you FalconLair
Old 01-28-2018, 11:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconLair View Post
i see your point - that's an internal issue with Republicans, still better dealing with that versus dealing with a democrat President getting to do the nominating

one more reason the 2018 elections will be very important - it's assured Trump won't get any help from the Democrats
Well if we can replace McCain and Flake with more conservative Republicans and then pick up some more seats since there are something like 6 seats held by Dems in states that Trump won then I will feel more comfortable.
Old 01-28-2018, 1:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Flake IS a conservative republican.

Anyway, with the economy booming the mid terms will go better than many expected. Yes the tax cut missed the masses, immigration is still an issue, but the question trump needs to ask is "are you doing better than you were two years ago?" Most will have to answer yes.

Than he can ask, "should we obliterate North Korea?" And....

Do you want another liberal on the Supreme Court? That should push people to vote republican.
Old 01-28-2018, 1:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbapug1 View Post

Anyway, with the economy booming the mid terms will go better than many expected. Yes the tax cut missed the masses, immigration is still an issue, but the question trump needs to ask is "are you doing better than you were two years ago?" Most will have to answer yes.

Do you want another liberal on the Supreme Court? That should push people to vote republican.
Flake isn't running for re-election.
Old 01-29-2018, 8:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Flake has very liberal positions on immigration. That's why he's not running for re-election, he can't win holding a liberal view in a conservative state (at least for about 20 more years until demographics change Arizona permanently).
Old 01-29-2018, 8:16 AM

Quote:

Flake is a jackass. So is Liindsey Graham. Neither of them are "conservative Republicans".

The biggest problem is that Republicans have created an image that's unappealing to the masses. I don't want a bible thumper spewing fire and brimstone as my (or anyone's) congress critter. But that's who rises to the surface because that's what the voters have been electing. And scandal after scandal erupts as the Roy Moore thing shows.

I want representatives who are calm and articulate. Representatives who know when to bend and when not to. Representatives who aren't so stupid they think women have some sort of mental/physical ability to tell themselves to not get pregnant.

I want someone who has ACTUALLY READ the Constitution and Bill of Right's and who understands that "shall not be infringed" means something other than; "Well if you vote for me I'll look into that."

The economy will help but unless viable candidates run this fall, what we'll get is the same old mix of perverts with ego's and closets full of skeletons.

Somebody's gotta be the mole so it might as well be me. Seems to be working so far.

Evil doesn't only come in black.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

My Utubery
Old 03-09-2018, 6:48 AM

FWIW, Senator Dean Heller (R Nevada) says he believes Justice Kennedy will retire this summer: http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...re-this-summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
Today's so called republican conservatives are far more liberal than a 1960's democrat. No way would a 1960's democrat put up with this nonsense.
Old 03-09-2018, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newport View Post
FWIW, Senator Dean Heller (R Nevada) says he believes Justice Kennedy will retire this summer: http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...re-this-summer

--------------

Quote:
Dean Heller predicts Justice Anthony Kennedy will retire around 'early summer'

Sen. Dean Heller, R-Nev., predicted Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy’s days on the bench are numbered and suggested the 81-year-old’s retirement could help him keep his Senate seat.

“I believe we’re going to have another Supreme Court justice this year. I think Kennedy is going to retire around sometime early summer,” Heller said during an event last Friday, according to audio of his remarks obtained by Politico. “That being the case, Republicans are going to have an opportunity now to put another Supreme Court justice in place, which I’m hoping will get our base a little motivated because right now, they’re not very motivated. But I think a new Supreme Court justice will get them motivated.”

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/de...rticle/2651153

Quote:
GOP senator: Justice Kennedy is going to retire this summer

Sen. Dean Heller (R-Nev.) said in a speech last week he believes Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy will retire this summer, according to audio of the speech obtained by Politico.

"Kennedy is going to retire around sometime early summer," Heller said in the speech, according to Politico. "Which I'm hoping will get our base a little motivated because right now they're not very motivated. But I think a new Supreme Court justice will get them motivated."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...D=ansmsnnews11
Old 03-09-2018, 7:47 AM

Good if true; now how about RBG....
Old 03-09-2018, 7:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

That's what they said about Kennedy last summer...
Old 03-11-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplaw View Post
Wait, Sotomayor hunts? Whodathunk she'd be into outdoor sports. We should introduced her to that guy in Pennsylvania and they could go hunting together.
or Dick Cheney
Old 03-19-2018, 10:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Justice Thomas to retire???

Quote:
It was clear last spring that Thomas — if he really cares about the principles he’s fought for on the court — should step down before Trump leaves office. But with what was then a 52-48 Senate majority for the Republicans, a 2018 playing field that featured lots of vulnerable Democrats, and few endangered Republican Senate seats, there was no real hurry for him to act.

That’s changed. Most analysts still believe Republicans are more likely than not to keep their Senate majority, but it’s no longer a sure thing. After Alabama’s special election, the majority is down to 51-49, and normally endangered Democrats in West Virginia, North Dakota, Missouri, Indiana and other states are looking safer (though hardly safe).

Republicans entered the 2018 cycle with one difficult seat to defend in Nevada. It’s now at least possible to imagine them losing in Arizona, Tennessee, Texas and Mississippi’s second seat, an election in November to replace resigning Sen. Thad Cochran. There’s even the possibility of a second election in Arizona, given that Sen. John McCain has yet to attend a Senate session since December and could still resign this year.

If the chances of a Democratic majority in the next Senate were remote a year ago, they’re now probably somewhere between a 1-in-5 or a 1-in-3 chance. Which means the pressure is on Thomas to act very soon if he wants to guarantee his replacement will be named by Trump.

Sure, it’s possible a Senate with a Democratic majority would confirm a Trump Supreme Court nominee, but the urge to get revenge for Merrick Garland, whom then-President Barack Obama nominated and a Republican majority refused to consider, would be intense. If there’s a Democratic majority, I’d say there’s almost no way it would confirm anyone in 2020, and it’s unlikely to do so in 2019.
More at: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...319-story.html
Old 03-19-2018, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

1-3 and 1-5 chances of winning is a gross overestimation. Texas and
Mississippi are not in play. I highly doubt TN or AZ will go red either. The dems have to defend 4 or 5 states where Trump won by 8%-25% in 2016.

Senate elections won't do much for 2A legislation though because the states GOP is most likely to take back are already pro-2A dems other than Missouri. They'd have to upset 3-4 more seats and I don't think they can do it.
Old 03-19-2018, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
That's what they said about Kennedy last summer...
And Kennedy has hired his clerks for next term (ending in June 2019). So I wouldn't bet on it. He certainly hasn't said anything about retiring.
Old 03-20-2018, 8:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Ruthy just had her 85th birthday. Anyone want to send her a card?
Old 03-20-2018, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless View Post
1-3 and 1-5 chances of winning is a gross overestimation. Texas and
Mississippi are not in play. I highly doubt TN or AZ will go red either. The dems have to defend 4 or 5 states where Trump won by 8%-25% in 2016.

Senate elections won't do much for 2A legislation though because the states GOP is most likely to take back are already pro-2A dems other than Missouri. They'd have to upset 3-4 more seats and I don't think they can do it.
The Democratic party can win in the red areas, all they need to do is follow Connor Lamb's lead and act like Republicans.
Old 03-20-2018, 3:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The Democratic party can win in the red areas, all they need to do is follow Connor Lamb's lead and act like Republicans.
The 18th congressional district of the Pennsylvania State Assembly is not a microcosm of key 2018 senate seats. I'm not sure where you are getting this idea from, but the fact of the matter is, the democrats will have one of the toughest senate elections that they've ever had in decades. 1-3 to 1-5 is a gross overestimation but the same people who proclaimed Hillary's odds of winning the white house.
Old 03-20-2018, 4:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The 18th congressional district of the Pennsylvania State Assembly is not a microcosm of key 2018 senate seats. I'm not sure where you are getting this idea from, but the fact of the matter is, the democrats will have one of the toughest senate elections that they've ever had in decades. 1-3 to 1-5 is a gross overestimation but the same people who proclaimed Hillary's odds of winning the white house.
I'm kind of joking, but Connor Lamb became conservative to make the race competitive , and it's likely this will happen every other tight race.
Old 03-20-2018, 7:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

From: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1#post21425411

Quote:

Quote:
The U.S. Supreme Court has granted a stay of execution for a Missouri inmate who argued that a medical condition could result in the process causing him undue suffering.

Russell Bucklew was scheduled to die by injection Tuesday evening for killing a former girlfriend’s new boyfriend during a violent rampage in 1996.

In a statement, the Supreme Court said it granted the stay in the execution. But the court says that four justices — John Roberts, Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, and Neil Gorsuch — would have allowed the execution to go ahead.

It is the second time that the nation’s highest court has halted the execution of Bucklew over concerns about his rare medical condition, cavernous hemangioma. The ailment causes weakened and malformed blood vessels, tumors in his head and throat and on his lip, and vein problems. His execution was stopped in 2014.

Bucklew, 49, was within an hour of execution in May 2014 when the U.S. Supreme Court halted it over concerns about Bucklew’s rare medical condition, cavernous hemangioma. The ailment causes weakened and malformed blood vessels, tumors in his head and throat and on his lip, and vein problems.
More at:
http://fox2now.com/2018/03/20/missou...ore-execution/

Note well how the 4 justices for the RKBA to carry deadly force in self defense are also the same 4 justices for the state having the right (and duty) to use deadly force in punishments (i.e., executions).

There's a lesson in there....

ETA: Support the Death Penalty? Support the Criminal Justice Legal Foundation: www.cjlf.org
Their blog, Crime and Consequences: http://www.crimeandconsequences.com/crimblog/

Last edited by Paladin; 03-20-2018 at 8:37 PM..
Old 03-22-2018, 7:23 AM
Veteran Member

Ran across this video of RGB exercising. It's with Stephen Colbert, and while I don't like his comedy much the workout was interesting. The workout scene starts at 3:44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oBodJHX1Vg

This doesn't look like a very vigorous workout to me.
Old 03-22-2018, 7:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Ran across this video of RGB exercising. It's with Stephen Colbert, and while I don't like his comedy much the workout was interesting. The workout scene starts at 3:44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oBodJHX1Vg

This doesn't look like a very vigorous workout to me.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:49 PM
Calguns Addict

RBG is not looking good there. Withdraw, flat responses, disengagement, and a "workout" that's easier than bending over to tie her shoes. And this is on a segment that's edited by someone who is trying to portray her in the best possible way.

Gives me hope!

Victoria "Tori" Rose Smith's life mattered.
Old 03-25-2018, 1:19 PM
Veteran Member

Those exercises will help her overall mobility, make he feel better, and reduce her risk of falling. However her past heart condition and cancer is mostly genetics. I really don't think she will make it to 2020 election.
Old 03-25-2018, 2:32 PM
Veteran Member

From wikipedia,

Quote:
On November 26, 2014, she had a stent placed in her right coronary artery after experiencing discomfort while exercising in the Supreme Court gym with her personal trainer
I guess we can conclude that this workout is the one which caused her "discomfort".

This workout is not much more than just a little cardio. HDL helps to clear blockages in your arteries. The more vigorous the workout the more HDL . So she is likely pro-longing her life with this workout, but I doubt it by too much.

I would guess that after the stent the doctors told her to start working out to extend her life.
Old 03-25-2018, 4:01 PM
Veteran Member

She's been exercising since before her heart stent.

She also had cancer 15-16 years ago.
Old 03-25-2018, 7:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
She's been exercising since before her heart stent.

She also had cancer 15-16 years ago.
She's had cancer twice actually,

1999 Colon cancer
2009 Pancreatic cancer

Also her mother died of cancer. I looked up her mothers age at the time of death at one point, I don't recall what it was exactly but it was much younger than RGB's current age.

If she were to have cancer every ten years I would say she's due for another round.