Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-22-2021, 7:19 AM
1gdgrrl 1gdgrrl is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 2
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Question CA DOJ background check timeline

I've been waiting almost 2 months for my CA DOJ background check to come back. CA and FBI already cleared, but Firearms still says "in progress". I have 2 issues that I know could be causing the delay; I don't fingerprint well, and I had an arrest in 2010 but was never charged with anything. Based on that, how long can this take?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-22-2021, 7:54 AM
P5Ret P5Ret is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SF Ebay
Posts: 5,812
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Background check for what? The question is a bit vague, and confusing, since you say "CA and FBI already cleared". Details matter, as it makes it hard to give an accurate answer when no one knows the why, or what your referencing.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-22-2021, 7:58 AM
TheReluctantCraftstronaut's Avatar
TheReluctantCraftstronaut TheReluctantCraftstronaut is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 427
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Sounds like a live scan.

I have a completely clear record, not even a traffic citation. No name changes. Nothing.

I'm almost 4 weeks into my live scan. FBI and CA cleared just a few days after submission. Firearms still pending.

There's at least two other folks I've talked to that experienced something similar. Not sure why. One of them cleared after about a month. The other is still waiting, like me.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-22-2021, 8:04 AM
jdubrr jdubrr is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 60
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

I'm in the same boat. Livescan on 4/6 and fireaarms still pending I guess I should stop checking everyday
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-22-2021, 9:06 AM
Mute's Avatar
Mute Mute is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Diamond Bar
Posts: 7,247
iTrader: 37 / 100%
Default

I think DOJ is really backed up with, first, the rise in checks for gun purchases, and now all the Livescans for CCW applications coming into LASD.
__________________
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle & Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page


NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-22-2021, 11:37 AM
Naive_Towel Naive_Towel is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 3
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I feel all of your pain, I have completed everything for a ccw in Sac County, but Iím still waiting on the ďFirearmsĒ portion of a Livescan I took on 4/1 to clear. Itís just crazy how it seems to vary, reading some other forums it seems like last month/month and a half, they were clearing in a couple of days.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-22-2021, 6:44 PM
VinhTran1 VinhTran1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 58
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Still waiting also


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-22-2021, 10:26 PM
derezzed derezzed is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 3
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

My friend and I have been having this same discussion over the 2 weeks or so...We both started and completed the CCW application process at the same time (give/take half a day or so) and completed our CCW training and qualification in the same class.

The Firearms section of my live scan was stuck with the ďin-progressĒ for two weeks and then finally went through. My friend is still waiting for this section to show complete. Iím not sure what could cause this...same county and we applied with the same PD.

Iím still waiting on my CCW to come in the mail and he is a little frustrated that no one has any answers.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-22-2021, 10:34 PM
VinhTran1 VinhTran1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 58
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by derezzed View Post
My friend and I have been having this same discussion over the 2 weeks or so...We both started and completed the CCW application process at the same time (give/take half a day or so) and completed our CCW training and qualification in the same class.

The Firearms section of my live scan was stuck with the ďin-progressĒ for two weeks and then finally went through. My friend is still waiting for this section to show complete. Iím not sure what could cause this...same county and we applied with the same PD.

Iím still waiting on my CCW to come in the mail and he is a little frustrated that no one has any answers.

The deputy said it can take up to 6 weeks for the live scan


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-23-2021, 8:26 AM
1gdgrrl 1gdgrrl is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 2
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
Background check for what? The question is a bit vague, and confusing, since you say "CA and FBI already cleared". Details matter, as it makes it hard to give an accurate answer when no one knows the why, or what your referencing.
For CCW...isn't this the CCW thread?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-23-2021, 5:11 PM
ezaircon4jc's Avatar
ezaircon4jc ezaircon4jc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 258
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1gdgrrl View Post
For CCW...isn't this the CCW thread?
You're right. Most of us understood your question.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-26-2021, 8:18 AM
biohazard53188 biohazard53188 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 55
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

I did my live scan on March 30th and am still waiting on the Firearms portion to clear as well.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-27-2021, 5:29 AM
WinchesterBolt WinchesterBolt is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 71
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I can't figure out why the Live Scan firearms part takes longer than the CA and FBI checks, but I'm not sure what all is involved . . . maybe it includes some searching of old paper records?

I would have thought that since a firearm purchase DROS is done in 10 days, that it shouldn't take longer than that, but in fact it does seem to.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-27-2021, 6:44 AM
TheReluctantCraftstronaut's Avatar
TheReluctantCraftstronaut TheReluctantCraftstronaut is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 427
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinchesterBolt View Post
I can't figure out why the Live Scan firearms part takes longer than the CA and FBI checks, but I'm not sure what all is involved . . . maybe it includes some searching of old paper records?

I would have thought that since a firearm purchase DROS is done in 10 days, that it shouldn't take longer than that, but in fact it does seem to.
My understanding is that you provide serial numbers, make, and model of all guns you want on your CCL to sheriff, then they check that against the record of guns CADOJ has on file for you to make sure you or your spouse are the registered owner. This seems to be a manually done process. The other two checks are to see if you have a criminal record/are a prohibited person and are done instantly with a computer database once your info is submitted.

The 10 day wait is not to give time for the DROS background check to finish. The 10 day wait is a legally mandated "cool off period" so if you catch your spouse cheating, you don't buy a gun in the heat of the moment and kill them in a crime of passion. It's a stupid law, but that's why the 10 days exist. The background check that's part of your DROS likely takes only a few minutes.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-27-2021, 7:54 PM
WinchesterBolt WinchesterBolt is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 71
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReluctantCraftstronaut View Post
My understanding is that you provide serial numbers, make, and model of all guns you want on your CCL to sheriff, then they check that against the record of guns CADOJ has on file for you to make sure you or your spouse are the registered owner. This seems to be a manually done process. The other two checks are to see if you have a criminal record/are a prohibited person and are done instantly with a computer database once your info is submitted.

The 10 day wait is not to give time for the DROS background check to finish. The 10 day wait is a legally mandated "cool off period" so if you catch your spouse cheating, you don't buy a gun in the heat of the moment and kill them in a crime of passion. It's a stupid law, but that's why the 10 days exist. The background check that's part of your DROS likely takes only a few minutes.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Thanks, if that's what the firearms part is, that makes sense.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-28-2021, 10:47 AM
dbd2000 dbd2000 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 2
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I'm in the same boat. CA and FBI cleared on 4/8 and being tortured by the firearms check.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-28-2021, 12:06 PM
Jaminbensant Jaminbensant is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I did my livescan on Jan 18th. 1 speeding ticket in 25+ years and nothing else. Took 10 weeks (March 30th)
They're just backed up and it's taking longer.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-28-2021, 6:20 PM
biohazard53188 biohazard53188 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 55
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaminbensant View Post
I did my livescan on Jan 18th. 1 speeding ticket in 25+ years and nothing else. Took 10 weeks (March 30th)
They're just backed up and it's taking longer.
Looks like we are in for a wait. Thanks for the reply!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-04-2021, 6:57 AM
biohazard53188 biohazard53188 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 55
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Mine was marked as completed today. Good luck everyone and be safe!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-04-2021, 9:07 AM
VinhTran1 VinhTran1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 58
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazard53188 View Post
Mine was marked as completed today. Good luck everyone and be safe!

How long did you wait bro?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-04-2021, 9:16 AM
pau pau is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Similar situation for me... took 6 weeks.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-04-2021, 10:40 AM
mike_in_ca mike_in_ca is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North Orange County
Posts: 285
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

DOJ and FBI. Took 2 days
And the Firearms took 8 days.

That was back in November. Can't believe they are that backed up now. But anything is possible way things are now.

Last edited by mike_in_ca; 05-04-2021 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-05-2021, 4:51 AM
TheReluctantCraftstronaut's Avatar
TheReluctantCraftstronaut TheReluctantCraftstronaut is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 427
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1gdgrrl View Post
I've been waiting almost 2 months for my CA DOJ background check to come back. CA and FBI already cleared, but Firearms still says "in progress". I have 2 issues that I know could be causing the delay; I don't fingerprint well, and I had an arrest in 2010 but was never charged with anything. Based on that, how long can this take?
For what it's worth, my live scan just cleared at 5 weeks in.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-05-2021, 5:33 AM
stevie stevie is online now
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles Area
Posts: 3,797
iTrader: 157 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReluctantCraftstronaut View Post
For what it's worth, my live scan just cleared at 5 weeks in.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Same here
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-05-2021, 10:26 AM
Naive_Towel Naive_Towel is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 3
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Live scan taken 4/1 and firearms portion just cleared 5/5.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-05-2021, 7:42 PM
Sac The Queen Sac The Queen is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 7
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naive_Towel View Post
Live scan taken 4/1 and firearms portion just cleared 5/5.
Same for me! You weren't alone!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-06-2021, 8:42 AM
trustno12373 trustno12373 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 28
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Tomorrow will mark 3 weeks for me. I have no way of checking the status of it that I know of, because in San Diego County your live scan is done at the department and they do not provide you the ATI number to be able to check on the status of it. I was told that I would it take up to 90 days, so I will keep patiently waiting.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:04 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2021, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.



Seams2SewBySusy

Tactical Pants Tactical Boots Military Boots 5.11 Tactical