Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 04-28-2021, 9:15 AM

Default How sturdy and reliable is a CMP Garand?

I am new to the Garand world and sorry for posting here and not CMP, but after 6 months, my membership to the forum is not approved.

I have a mixmaster that is H&R and SA parts on an SA receiver that has pitting under the wood line and on the top of the bolt. It also has that green/gold/gray cast, which I believe is the effect of cosmolene on parkerizing.

How reliable would a CMP service grade be? I have never owned a rifle this old so I am a bit squeamish about shooting it for the first time. It has a TE and MW of 3. I jammed a clip on the inside and had to tap it out with a rubber mallet and might have banged on the follower and bullet guide a bit, but function checks seem to work just fine.

This guy says you can push a full en-bloc clip all the way to the bottom of the magazine, and if you hold it there, the bolt won't close. I have not done this yet but I have tested by putting a clip in there and pushing down the follower to the botom, and the bolt does close. Is that a problem?

He says it starting at 4:36 of this video.

https://youtu.be/ebmGLDG1g5M?t=276

I have some M2 clone ammo from Privi Partizan and some other 155gr modern ammo and a Schuster gas plug.
Old 04-28-2021, 9:33 AM
Veteran Member

Measure the length of the op rod spring. It should be no shorter than 19 1/2”. If it’s good to go, lube it properly, shoot it and have fun. Garands are pretty bulletproof.
Remember, you should not shoot standard commercial hunting style ammo. You need ammo loaded to USGI specs.

Last edited by Sailormilan2; 04-28-2021 at 9:40 AM..
Old 04-28-2021, 9:34 AM

When you push the clip in the bolt comes forward on you thumb and will smash it against the breech. That is "M1 thumb". If your main spring is a little worn, it might not come far forward and you may have to bump the op rod forward to get it to close, but it should move some.

The CMP test fires all the rifles they send out, so clean it, lube it (the manual had the lube points), and take it out. My range has CMP matches once a month and many people use CMP Garands to compete.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoJack View Post
How sturdy and reliable is a CMP Garand?
Sturdy and reliable enough to win WWII AND be used in two more wars.

Unfortunately, nowadays we live in a society that programs peoples brains to think that "old" can no longer be used. That might be the case for cheap Chinese electronics junk people buy and use but this isn't the case with guns. As long as the steel is in good shape the rifle is okay to shoot with the correct ammo. CMP inspects their rifles and if they put their seal of approval on it, it's most likely good to go. If there's an issue, it will probably be minor and easy to fix.

Get the correct ammo and go shoot that bad boy. When you're blown away by their awesomeness, stair at it and think about the story that rifle could tell if it could speak. You have a piece of history... Enjoy it!

ETA- Consider yourself lucky if your rifle has green parkerization.

Last edited by Paseclipse; 04-28-2021 at 10:55 AM..
Old 04-28-2021, 11:52 AM

I have several. If you take the time to learn how to properly lube your rifle and find the proper ammo, it will last for several thousand more rounds.

Like my kids, all of my Garands are special, but I do have a favorite. With that one I can consistently hit 24" steel at 500 yards using greek HXP ammo.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:53 AM
Calguns Addict

CMP sells shooters and they do all of the safety checks before the rifle is sold. Buy with confidence.

My rifle is a service grade and has been 100%. Lube, clean as required, shoot 150gr commercial/surplus ammo and prang away.

Everybody loves the "PING".
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 04-28-2021, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paseclipse View Post
Sturdy and reliable enough to win WWII AND be used in two more wars.

Unfortunately, nowadays we live in a society that programs peoples brains to think that "old" can no longer be used. That might be the case for cheap Chinese electronics junk people buy and use but this isn't the case with guns. As long as the steel is in good shape the rifle is okay to shoot with the correct ammo. CMP inspects their rifles and if they put their seal of approval on it, it's most likely good to go. If there's an issue, it will probably be minor and easy to fix.

Get the correct ammo and go shoot that bad boy. When you're blown away by their awesomeness, stair at it and think about the story that rifle could tell if it could speak. You have a piece of history... Enjoy it!

ETA- Consider yourself lucky if your rifle has green parkerization.
Thank you for the advice.

What does greenish Parkerizing mean?

My shooter has 5 notches on the stock.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2021, 2:52 PM
Calguns Addict

IIRC the greenish park was an older SA park process. Darker park was newer process.

I like the green for some reason. I've seen it more on Springfield 1903's.

You have a keeper OP.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 04-28-2021, 3:17 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

If you bought a Service from them, it's fine. Go shoot it.

I put an adjustable gas plug in mine so I can shoot hotter ammo.
Old 04-28-2021, 5:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheellock View Post
When you push the clip in the bolt comes forward on you thumb and will smash it against the breech. That is "M1 thumb".
I did just that with my first Garand. F$%k that hurt!

Use the the knife edge of your hand (back of the palm behind and above your pinkie) to move the handle back, push down with your thumb, and let go all at once.

You do NOT want M1 Thumb.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 04-28-2021, 6:14 PM

Shoot Garand appropriate ammunition, and make sure that the ammunition has a Garand appropriate statement on the box.

I did not pick up a box loaded for Garands, but it will have a statement similar to this one, appropriate for M1a's.

This rifle was adapted in 1936, while the ammunition had a not to exceed of 50, 000 psia (they thought CUP = Psia) actual service ammunition was in the lower 40 k psia. The Army did not need to, nor want to, push pressures.

In so far as reliable, those CMP rifles have the operating rod ends, gas cylinders, gauged. And of course the chamber is headspaced. The rifle is taken to the range for a function test. These rifles were sent to Greece as foreign aid, so they came out of US inventory as rebuilds, new, but all in issue-able condition.

When you load the thing single shot, lower the bolt this far down, and release. This will reduce the risk of a slamfire.

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA...DFs/FM23-5.pdf

to load with a clip, push the operating rod back with the heel of the right hand, insert clip with thumb, push down till operating rod releases. The tension will be against the heel of your hand, you can feel it when the operating rod releases. Then rock hand up to let the operating rod go. Get your hand out of there in case there is a slamfire.
Old 04-28-2021, 7:12 PM
Veteran Member

What is that odd black wrinkly stuff over your rear sight? Get it off.

Cosmoline does not negatively affect parkerizing at all. It's a preservative, meant to protect it not ruin it. It's essentially a really thick grease. That green coloring is a good thing. Don't ruin it trying to get rid of that hue.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

OP- A couple items that are pretty typical to replace on any Garand straight from the CMP is a new op rod spring and a Ported Gas plug which will let you shoot commercial ammo-

Op Rod Spring- http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-spring.html

Ported Gas Plug- http://www.garandgear.com/ported-gas-plug.html

This is a good article to read about the Gas Port Plug- http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-ammunition

Enjoy your rifle!

PS- the notches are awesome!
Old 04-28-2021, 10:11 PM

The markings could mean that someone shot five Nazis with that rifle. It could also mean "Armorer, please give me the same rifle I had the last time, it has five marks on it."
Old 04-29-2021, 2:42 AM

Use the correct ammo and you’ll be fine.
Old 04-29-2021, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post
What is that odd black wrinkly stuff over your rear sight? Get it off.

Cosmoline does not negatively affect parkerizing at all. It's a preservative, meant to protect it not ruin it. It's essentially a really thick grease. That green coloring is a good thing. Don't ruin it trying to get rid of that hue.
That's an illusion. It's padding from the CMP case where the rifle is resting.

Something odd... this is a rebuild with 1952 (4,206,000 SN receiver from Springfield Armory) and H&R parts. Only original circle P and square P marks on the grip of the stock. No other official markings. Maybe Korean War era rebuild?

Isn't the green tinged parkerizing from early WWII? The rifle was pretty dry when I got it, no actual cosmoline on it, perhaps the CMP folks did me a solid.

Old 04-29-2021, 6:44 AM

Quote:
I am new to the Garand world...

I have some M2 clone ammo from Privi Partizan and some other 155gr modern ammo and a Schuster gas plug.
CMP M1 Rifles are good to go.

IF - it is not operating properly - contact CMP/CS, and an Armorer will get back w/ you to resolve the issue.

P.S. Schuster gas plugs - need to be adjusted for each load to be reliable. (unlike the GarandGear Ported Gas Plug)

GR

(I think, therefore I am armed.)

-- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --
Old 04-30-2021, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the encouragement and the beautiful pics.

I have heard that one should never, ever , ever sand a USGI stock.

I loved every scratch on my mixmaster stock, especially the notches, but it seemed to be shellacked and the scratches looked awful like that. Maybe one of the lend leased militaries did that?

P marks were already pretty faint and no acceptance stamps on it.

Anyhow, did some 0000 steel wool and 1200 grit sandpaper *very lightly sanded* and 4 coats of Minwax "Tung Oil Finish", which I hear is BLO and drying agents, sanding in between coats and I like it much better. It has not cured yet. It's still a bit shinier than the upper and forward handguards, but not that much more and the beautiful scratches and notches are still visible.

Maybe I ruined the collector value if it had any. I have it to shoot, though.

Here's the notches up close.

Last edited by PogoJack; 05-01-2021 at 7:32 AM..
Old 04-30-2021, 3:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Let's face it, sometimes you just get bored with proven rifle performance standards such as accuracy,
power, reliability and superb handling characteristics of the M1 Garand. It is not even tactical, anymore.
Old 05-01-2021, 12:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Most people get Garand thumb when they are playing with an empty, unloaded rifle, especially if they didn't pull the op rod all the way back and the bolt is being held back by friction with the follower instead of the action being locked open by the operating rod catch (below)

as it was designed. This gives a good description of the issue:

http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-thumb

When the bolt is being held back only by the friction with the follower and there is no ammo being stripped out of the clip, slightly depressing the follower or touching the op rod handle causes the bolt to snap forward like a mouse trap. You have to pull the op rod handle ALL the way back to properly lock the action open, as seen in this first video (he incorrectly says there is a "catch notch" in the receiver but it is actually the op rod catch locking the action open):

https://youtu.be/KAeXp5QTnr0?t=105

When using a loaded en block clip, keeping pressure on the top round keeps the bolt from closing, as shown here:

To summarize:
  1. Make sure you pull the op rod handle HARD all the way back to lock open the action. If done properly the front of the bolt should not be touching the follower
  2. When loading a loaded en bloc clip with the action correctly locked open, keeping pressure on the top round will keep the bolt from closing. Quickly wihdraw your hand and the bolt will strip off the top round and close. If it doesn't push on the back of the op rod handle.
  3. Most (all?) cases of Garand thumb occur when handling an unloaded rifle, or when loading the rifle when the action is not correctly locked open. To close the action on an unloaded rifle, restrain the op rod handle with your right hand while pulling the op rod handle to the rear, slightly depress the follower with your left thumb until you feel the op rod unlatch and slightly move forward, withdraw your left thumb, then let go of the op rod handle and let the bolt close. You can also use the back edge of the right hand to restrain the op rod handle and apply rearward pressure, and then depress the follower with your right thumb, but I prefer to use two hands.

Last edited by Milsurp Collector; 05-01-2021 at 12:07 AM..
Old 05-01-2021, 7:15 AM
Veteran Member

PogoJack.....that looks awesome, congratulations
I can no longer tolerate the recoil of such a caliber/platform otherwise i definitely would have secured one as well.
Old 05-01-2021, 7:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtenenhaus View Post
I can no longer tolerate the recoil of such a caliber/platform otherwise i definitely would have secured one as well.
My Garlands don’t bother me but I use a Past pad when I shoot most high power military bolt action rifles.

Caldwell Ambidextrous Shooting Recoil Shields with Durable Construction, Solid Fit and Thick Padding for Outdoor, Range, Shooting and Hunting https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013R8J48...Y4TQ0WZ908FVZ2

If you have rifles that you don’t shoot anymore because of painful recoil - I find Mosin Nagants in particular to be painful to shoot - give it a try. When I use my Past pad I can shoot all day without any discomfort. You can even wear it under your shirt and no one will be the wiser.

Quote:
pistol noun pis·tol \ˈpi-stəl\

1: a handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel
Calling a revolver a "pistol" is like calling a magazine a "clip".

ExitCalifornia.org
Old 05-01-2021, 3:58 PM
Veteran Member

Garands are pretty low on the recoil given the weight and the long stroking gas system... hardest part is holding up that 11 lb beast. My favorite high power rifle for decades... An old vet buddy( 501st airborne In Europe from 6/5/44 till 6/7/46) told me he never felt he was out gunned when he had a few M1s around. Although he lugged a BAR.
Old 05-01-2021, 5:22 PM

Are those notches carved on the stocks kills?

"For the transgression of a land many are the princes thereof: but by a man of understanding and knowledge (Jesus/Yashua) the state thereof shall be prolonged."

-The Holy Bible
Old 05-01-2021, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotgunPreacher View Post
Are those notches carved on the stocks kills?
If you want. Or "times the Sgt gave me latrine duty". Or maybe "French hookers I visited". It's neat that some soldier somewhere carved on it, but pretending they mean anything significant is dumb.
Old 05-02-2021, 7:07 AM

Quote:
How sturdy and reliable is a CMP Garand?

GR

(I think, therefore I am armed.)

-- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --
Old 05-02-2021, 11:03 PM

Nice funny video, thank you! ^

I bought some of those A-Zoom Precision snap caps. The case looked like 30-06 but the bullet was rounded and shorter than my real 30-06.

I placed the snap cap into the chamber and closed the bolt. It doesn't seem to close all the way. When I pulled the trigger the bolt moved forward and tilted to the right, assuming to close and go into battery. A couple of times I tried and the bolt did close and fire like normal i.e. it was in battery and did not move when the hanner dropped.

The rim of the case looks chewed up but it ejects just fine when I pull back the op rod.

Is that normal behavior for a Garand? Could this indicate a bad barrel? Throat erosion is 3. I'm ordering some brass rimmed snap caps for another test.

The dummy looks like it's a different size form the round but it's an optical illusion.

Below is video of the action when trigger is pulled on unclosed bolt with snap cap chambered. The bolt does not go into battery.

The bolt closes and goes into battery once the trigger is pulled and hammer comes down. Notice the op rod moving forward and where the lugs are. I thought this was not possible?

Sounds similar to this issue reported in ARFCOM.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/-/6-253917/?

Last edited by PogoJack; 05-03-2021 at 10:01 AM..
Old 05-02-2021, 11:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Nice funny video, thank you! ^

I bought some of those A-Zoom Precision snap caps. The case looked like 30-06 but the bullet was rounded and shorter than my real 30-06.

I placed the snap cap into the chamber and closed the bolt. When I pulled the trigger the bolt moved forward and tilted to the right.

Is that normal behavior for a Garand? Could this indicate a bad barrel? Throat erosion is 3.

For goodness sakes just go shoot the darn thing and enjoy it. It's been professionally inspected and it's in good condition. You're rifle is fine!
Old 05-02-2021, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paseclipse View Post
For goodness sakes just go shoot the darn thing and enjoy it. It's been professionally inspected and it's in good condition. You're rifle is fine!
Well yeah, but then I monkeyed around with it. Trying to avoid a Darwin Award. It appears a round can be detonated out of battery.

Last edited by PogoJack; 05-03-2021 at 8:30 AM..
Old 05-03-2021, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbo80 View Post
If you want. Or "times the Sgt gave me latrine duty". Or maybe "French hookers I visited". It's neat that some soldier somewhere carved on it, but pretending they mean anything significant is dumb.
well will never know without the one who carved them explaining himself

"For the transgression of a land many are the princes thereof: but by a man of understanding and knowledge (Jesus/Yashua) the state thereof shall be prolonged."

-The Holy Bible
Old 05-03-2021, 11:23 AM

Well I'm the dummy. Seems like I need to slap the operating rod forward to get the dummy round to chamber.

I guess that's pretty normal on the Garand as I am finding out.

I was lowering the bolt too gingerly on the dummy round. Sound right?

Single loading as opposed to from the clip.

Last edited by PogoJack; 05-03-2021 at 12:19 PM..
Old 05-03-2021, 12:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I was lowering the bolt too gingerly on the dummy round.
^^^ There's your problem. Garand's should be man handled and not babied.

Your rifle is fine, go shoot it and enjoy!
Old 05-03-2021, 12:26 PM

*I was lowering the bolt too gingerly on the dummy round. Sound right?"

Yes you were, and yes you're correct.

Your extractor and spring may be gunked up. Apply a few drops of cleaning solvent around it at the top of the bolt.
Snap a clip full in it and run it like it was designed to run.
Old 05-04-2021, 8:48 AM

^ Haha thank you for the encouragement and the pics/targets!!!

I like that setup you have there. One day!
Old 05-04-2021, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Well yeah, but then I monkeyed around with it. Trying to avoid a Darwin Award. It appears a round can be detonated out of battery.
Take your rifle apart. If there is a bridge of steel linking both sides of the receiver the weapon cannot “fire” out of battery. That bridge prevents the firing pin from striking the primer with full force to detonate a primer because there is a notch the firing pin slides past to hit the primer full force if it is not fully seated.

Your bolt will also have a grove in the back by the firing pin that groove allows a hammer notch to fit in to fire the rifle. If the bolt is not completely rotated the hammer cannot hit the firing pin with enough for force to detonate a primer.
Old 05-04-2021, 3:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
That's an illusion. It's padding from the CMP case where the rifle is resting.

Something odd... this is a rebuild with 1952 (4,206,000 SN receiver from Springfield Armory) and H&R parts. Only original circle P and square P marks on the grip of the stock. No other official markings. Maybe Korean War era rebuild?

Isn't the green tinged parkerizing from early WWII? The rifle was pretty dry when I got it, no actual cosmoline on it, perhaps the CMP folks did me a solid.

Responding on the green park. I have an S/A M1 made Dec of ‘41, and one made 7 /45... both are green. I had a 5.9 mil SA ( 7/55?) It was black park. The 5.9 was the nicest one I had ever seen... sold it to fund something else, it was just too purdy
Old 05-06-2021, 8:05 AM

Thanks for the great info for a Garand noob. I am planning on taking it out on Memorial Day or thereafter to fire in honor of the fallen. I am no longer afraid of blowing it up. Thank you!

On another note, do you think I screwed up the rifle by removing the scratched shellac/varnish and giving it 4 coats of Minwax "Tung Oil Varnish"? I didn't remove hardly any wood, just the varnish before applying.

The scratches on the shellac were just horrible looking to me. It wasn't scratches to the wood, but lots of little scratches on the varnish itself.

Last edited by PogoJack; 05-06-2021 at 8:07 AM..
Old 05-06-2021, 11:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
On another note, do you think I screwed up the rifle by removing the scratched shellac/varnish and giving it 4 coats of Minwax "Tung Oil Varnish"? I didn't remove hardly any wood, just the varnish before applying.
Nope. Every Garand I got from the CMP has had the furniture cleaned and re-oiled with Boiled Linseed Oil.

If you ever decide to sell it, your buyer won't care.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 05-06-2021, 1:47 PM

I remember seeing a training film from WWII where the recruits are clearly forcing the bolt closed when loading. I think Garand thumb is a result of us using broken in rifles.
Old 05-06-2021, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
Nope. Every Garand I got from the CMP has had the furniture cleaned and re-oiled with Boiled Linseed Oil.

If you ever decide to sell it, your buyer won't care.
Thanks for the advice. I got in the same shipment two WWII era receivers with nice stocks with the acceptance stamps and whatnot. I've hardly looked at them and want to keep those for later.

You can see from my before picture that the shellac finish was in bad shape and it was glossy. Bought a new stock but looks like it's going to need a lot of fitting, plus staining. I like how the USGI stock looks now, much better with the new finish.

Circle P and square P are faint but I'm not planning on selling.

Last edited by PogoJack; 05-06-2021 at 5:23 PM..