Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-20-2021, 4:48 AM

Default 2021 AB 1223 Levine - Firearms and ammunition: excise tax (CalVIP gun + ammo tax)

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...02120220AB1223

An excise tax of $25 for each new handgun, semi-auto rifle and semi-auto shotgun sold, as well as a currently unannounced percent excise tax on ammunition sales. Monies go to the CalVIP program, which gives grants for attempts to interrupt violence (particularly gang violence) in various cities.

This is a reintroduction of 2019 AB-18. Previously this bill died in the legislature but the CalVIP program was given an additional grant of $21 million in addition to its annual $9 million budget in 2019 as explained on Page 3 here.
Old 02-20-2021, 8:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So legal gun owners get taxed to exercise their civil right, then get to pay for programs to "interrupt" gang violence? Sounds good. I'm sure it will get signed all the way to the top.

"You want my sister but now scam my Glocks too?
How about my sister? what can she do now? Still virgin and need Glcok."

---ARegularGuy

NRA Patron Member
Old 02-20-2021, 8:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Newsom will sign every gun control bill that hits his desk.,

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 02-20-2021, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Newsom will sign every gun control bill that hits his desk.,
Hopefully, Newscum won't have a desk in a few months.
Old 02-20-2021, 9:32 AM

There is already a federal tax on guns and ammo. %10 for handguns, %11 for rifles and ammo.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinsinia View Post
There is already a federal tax on guns and ammo. %10 for handguns, %11 for rifles and ammo.
Well that is the problem! CA needs to wet their beak.

"You want my sister but now scam my Glocks too?
How about my sister? what can she do now? Still virgin and need Glcok."

---ARegularGuy

NRA Patron Member
Old 02-20-2021, 10:50 AM

Excessive taxes make the exercising of the Second Amendment disproportionately more burdensome to the lower income citizen. And just like poll taxes, the government cannot put a "cost of admission" on a civil right.
Old 02-20-2021, 4:24 PM

Where is the breaking point and when do we see ammo being transported interstate without California "poll" taxes. We did it with moonshine/whiskey and I suspect we will be doing it again if not already with ammo. the underground revolution is starting and the government will start trying to harder to squash our rights in this state.
Old 02-20-2021, 8:37 PM

We just need to point out that these taxes affect poor People of Color disproportionately and infringe on their rights.... let nature take it's course.
Old 02-21-2021, 5:55 PM
Veteran Member

Pretty soon 2A is only going to apply to the rich
Old 03-17-2021, 8:14 AM

This is scheduled for the Assembly Public Safety Committee for April 6th.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB> View Post
We just need to point out that these taxes affect poor People of Color disproportionately and infringe on their rights.... let nature take it's course.

I don’t think any of the people participating in the Calvet program actually bought their guns

Dictated but not read, voice typing plus bad eyes equals typos
Old 03-25-2021, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AregularGuy View Post
Well that is the problem! CA needs to wet their beak.
You mean its proboscis. F**king bloodsuckers.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:48 PM

I am in CA Assembly 16th District, our elected assembly member is on the Public Safety Committee, I wrote an email to her office asking her to oppose AB 1223. Never received any reply from her office, instead they added me to their weekly email blast that describes all the "good" things she's doing for our district. LOL
Old 04-02-2021, 11:13 AM

I guess I'll have to shop at big box stores that don't charge transfer fees. Internet buys will be prohibitively expensive, when you add shipping ($25-$35), plus DROS (what is it now, about $38?) plus transfer fee ($25-$75) plus sales tax (7.25%) plus $25 excise tax. Ouch.

I recall that the US Attorney General argued way back when the NFA was being considered by congress that the stamp fee, being in the nature of a tax, did not infringe on the Second Amendment.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
Excessive taxes make the exercising of the Second Amendment disproportionately more burdensome to the lower income citizen. And just like poll taxes, the government cannot put a "cost of admission" on a civil right.

And the Supreme Court turns a blind eye.
Old 04-02-2021, 4:30 PM
NRA Member, CRPA Member,
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cz74 View Post
I am in CA Assembly 16th District, our elected assembly member is on the Public Safety Committee, I wrote an email to her office asking her to oppose AB 1223. Never received any reply from her office, instead they added me to their weekly email blast that describes all the "good" things she's doing for our district. LOL
Par for the course. Politicians don’t see themselves as representatives anymore, now they’re “leaders” which means they only want your input if it agrees with their platform.
Old 04-10-2021, 2:28 PM

Default CA Lawmakers push to tax guns

Here's an idea- how about we tax the crap out of mass shooters instead?

Edit- no idea how to resize this huge linked image. Let me know and I'll do it.
Old 04-10-2021, 2:30 PM

Drinking while watching the masters?
Old 04-10-2021, 2:45 PM

Maybe we should add a tax to all car sales to raise money for victims of drunk drivers? That way everyone can pay for the actions of a few.
Old 04-10-2021, 3:04 PM

What happened during the committee hearing on 4/6? Have they decided how much to tax ammunition sales?
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-10-2021, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer898 View Post
What happened during the committee hearing on 4/6? Have they decided how much to tax ammunition sales?
It passed.

Here is the video archive,

Video link
Old 04-10-2021, 4:32 PM

I only found end date until January 1, 2028, can someone point out when this excise tax supposed to start? Thanks!
Old 04-10-2021, 4:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbird View Post
Where is the breaking point and when do we see ammo being transported interstate without California "poll" taxes. We did it with moonshine/whiskey and I suspect we will be doing it again if not already with ammo. the underground revolution is starting and the government will start trying to harder to squash our rights in this state.
Ammo has been transported from other states since before CA's BS ammo regulations were passed.

The underground revolution has been happening since before the very first California required registration.

Tactical is like boobs...you can sell anything with it....arf

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain
Old 04-11-2021, 12:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cz74 View Post
I only found end date until January 1, 2028, can someone point out when this excise tax supposed to start? Thanks!
aren't usually on things like this, it is right away since it is a tax?

or like jan 1st 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 04-11-2021, 7:17 AM

So, the guys that didn't do it pay for the ones that did do it.

Legal gun owners have 300 million guns and probably a trillion rounds of ammo. Seriously, folks, if we were the problem, you'd know it.
Old 04-11-2021, 1:35 PM

It passed out of committee, not signed into law.
Old 04-12-2021, 7:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch705 View Post
aren't usually on things like this, it is right away since it is a tax?

or like Jan 1st 2022
If signed, it would go into effect on Jan 1 of the year following signature.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:19 AM

Just adding the copy of the NRA email blurp for today. AB 1237

Our private information is also on the plate to share,probably for "public health" pretenses ,but wait!
certain non-profits will also have access !

Non-profits are the new social control vehicle.

Quote NRA:
Last week, the Assembly Public Safety Committee voted to pass Assembly Bill 1223, to place an additional excise tax on firearms and ammunition, and Assembly Bill 311, to restrict firearm "precursor parts" from display or sale at gun shows. The committee sent AB 1223 to the Revenue and Tax Committee, and AB 311 to the Appropriations Committee for further consideration.

Assembly Bill 1223 taxes firearms at $25 each, and ammunition at a certain percentage yet to be determined, in order to fund social services programs for “gun violence.” The taxes are to be collected from California retailers on new firearms sold, and on their retail sales of ammunition. It is unjust to saddle law-abiding gun owners with special taxes to fund social service programs. Such a measure makes it more expensive for law-abiding citizens to exercise a constitutional right, and discourages them from practicing to be safe and proficient with their firearms for purposes such as self-defense, competition, and hunting.

Assembly Bill 311 prohibits the display or sale of any "precursor firearm parts" at gun shows in the state. So called “precursor” parts are not regulated as firearms under federal law, however, they are regulated and limited to being transferred by licensed vendors in California. Such restrictions continue to cut off access to law-abiding individuals who are looking to acquire firearm parts in accordance with existing law.​

On Tuesday April 13th, the Assembly Public Safety Committee is hearing AB 1237. Please contact committee members and ask them to OPPOSE AB 1237.

Assembly Bill 1237 mandates the California Department of Justice (DOJ) to supply state information, including personal identifying information, to the UC Gun Violence Research Center at UC Davis, and allows the DOJ to provide this same information to certain non-profits and state agencies. This legislation creates grave privacy concerns, as well as concerns that this information could be provided to groups that create biased “research” to push gun control policies without actually researching root causes of violence.

Again, please contact committee members and ask them to OPPOSE AB 1237.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:32 AM

Its important to note that precursor parts now includes, barrels, slides, some lower parts kits, and upper receivers (AR's).

Look for that list to expand.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:32 AM

16531. (a) As used in this part, commencing July 1, 2023, “firearm precursor part” means a component of a firearm that is generally necessary to build or assemble a firearm and is included in one of the following categories:
(1) A firearm barrel.
(2) An ammunition feeding device, including, but not limited to, a magazine or speed loader.
(3) An unfinished receiver, including both a single part receiver and a multiple part receiver, such as a receiver in an AR-10- or AR-15-style firearm. An unfinished receiver includes a receiver tube, a molded or shaped polymer frame or receiver, a metallic casting, a metallic forging, and a receiver flat, such as a Kalashnikov-style weapons system, Kalashnikov-style receiver channel, or a Browning-style receiver side plate.
(4) A finished upper receiver for a multiple part receiver system such as an AR-10- and AR-15-style firearm.
(5) An unfinished handgun frame.
(6) A finished slide to be used to enclose a handgun barrel.
(7) A trigger pack or fire control group for a Heckler and Koch- or FN FAL-style firearm.
(b) The Department of Justice, consistent with this section, shall provide written guidance and pictorial diagrams demonstrating each category of firearm precursor part specified in subdivision (a).
(c) Firearm parts that can only be used on antique firearms, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 16170, are not firearm precursor parts.
Old 04-12-2021, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolguy101 View Post
16531. (a) As used in this part, commencing July 1, 2023, “firearm precursor part” means a component of a firearm that is generally necessary to build or assemble a firearm and is included in one of the following categories:
(1) A firearm barrel.
(2) An ammunition feeding device, including, but not limited to, a magazine or speed loader.
(3) An unfinished receiver, including both a single part receiver and a multiple part receiver, such as a receiver in an AR-10- or AR-15-style firearm. An unfinished receiver includes a receiver tube, a molded or shaped polymer frame or receiver, a metallic casting, a metallic forging, and a receiver flat, such as a Kalashnikov-style weapons system, Kalashnikov-style receiver channel, or a Browning-style receiver side plate.
(4) A finished upper receiver for a multiple part receiver system such as an AR-10- and AR-15-style firearm.
(7) A trigger pack or fire control group for a Heckler and Koch- or FN FAL-style firearm.
(b) The Department of Justice, consistent with this section, shall provide written guidance and pictorial diagrams demonstrating each category of firearm precursor part specified in subdivision (a).
(c) Firearm parts that can only be used on antique firearms, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 16170, are not firearm precursor parts.

I don't think this one passed. The pass version is here,
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...1.&lawCode=PEN

Quote:

(a) As used in this part, “firearm precursor part” means a component of a firearm that is necessary to build or assemble a firearm and is described in either of the following categories:

(1) An unfinished receiver, including both a single part receiver and a multiple part receiver, such as a receiver in an AR-10- or AR-15-style firearm. An unfinished receiver includes a receiver tube, a molded or shaped polymer frame or receiver, a metallic casting, a metallic forging, and a receiver flat, such as a Kalashnikov-style weapons system, Kalashnikov-style receiver channel, or a Browning-style receiver side plate.

(2) An unfinished handgun frame.

(d) A firearm precursor part is not a firearm or the frame or receiver thereof. A firearm precursor part that is attached or affixed to a firearm is not subject to the requirements of Chapter 1.5 (commencing with Section 30400) of Division 10 of Title 4 of Part 6 or Section 18010.
Old 04-12-2021, 2:05 PM

As if the Gangsters ever paid a single penny in Taxes.
Old 04-12-2021, 3:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
(1) A firearm barrel.
That was AB 2382, which died in committee in Nov 2018.
Old 04-12-2021, 3:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
(1) A firearm barrel.
Abinsinia is correct. That was AB 2382, which died in committee in Nov 2018. Gipson then reintroduced an amended version in AB 879 the next year, which was passed.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:36 PM

The bill has been been read a second time and sent back to the Committee on Revenue and Taxation.

Excise tax is as follows based on the sales price:
- 10% on handgun sales
- 11% on long guns, rifles, firearm precursor parts, and ammunition

Note that the these amounts can still be changed. The legislature can still make many changes.
Old 05-04-2021, 5:51 AM

They have this bill in "Engrossing" which seems to mean it passed both houses. As far as I can tell this did not go thru the senate .. I'm still looking for the details.
Old 05-04-2021, 8:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinsinia View Post
They have this bill in "Engrossing" which seems to mean it passed both houses. As far as I can tell this did not go thru the senate .. I'm still looking for the details.
Back in Assembly Appropriations Committee.

Engrossing is a QC process, and this bill was massively amended on April 29th. Engrossing staff need to make sure it follows previous tracks and Leg Analyst has to analyze and un-wind the stuff shoved into it.

Here’s the process:
Quote:

Engrossing can occur even before a bill has passed either floor of the Legislature.

Engrossing
In engrossing, there is a comparison of the printed bill to assure its likeliness to the original bill and that the bill’s amendments were properly included. After being proofread by the staff to assure the amendments were done properly, the bill is “correctly engrossed” and in proper form. The official proofreading also follows Second Reading and/or the adoption of any amendments to the bill.
When a bill has been amended, only the engrossing process takes place. Enrolling, on the other hand, only occurs after a bill has passed both houses. However, after a bill passes both houses of the Legislature, then engrossing occurs first and is followed by enrolling. These are two separate and distinct activities.

//////

The Governor’s May Revision to the Budget is due soon, and with Budget hearings in play, it may be difficult to move this increase in taxation through in this session, considering the surplus now projected.

May 21 is the last day for fiscal committees in the Assembly to report out bills from that House.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 05-08-2021 at 6:07 PM..
Old 05-04-2021, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB> View Post
This won't work because the left doesn't believe that "poor People of Color" have the right to have firearms/ammunition to defend themselves and their families. The left is far more racist than many on the right give them credit for. They only "combat racism" when it falls inline with their socialist agendas and chipping away at liberty.
Old 05-08-2021, 6:04 PM

This one appears to be having a hard time getting out of the appropriations committee. It's scheduled for another go in this committee 5/12