Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 03-05-2021, 11:12 AM

Got it out of jail, and scrounged up a couple thousand rounds, so just need to take it out for a function test before I get a chance to let her shoot it. I was initially apprehensive about the way you drop the mags on a mark ii, and considered getting the volquartsen frame to give a normal style mag release, but after handling it more I'm pretty ok with it.

Looking forward to trying it out!
Old 03-05-2021, 12:07 PM
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Congrats on the MK II. I had 4 at one point and sold 2. Can easily clean the barrel with a bore snake and brush the feed ramp without taking the gun apart. I also take out the bolt without taking the upper off, because over time it can get loose.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:09 PM
From anotha motha

The mag release is slow to access, but I'm not doing tactical reloads, so I kept mine stock.
Old 03-06-2021, 6:29 PM

Picked it up Thursday, and got it out to the range today. Fairly good results, with occasionally a few shots that were spread a bit fair. Turns out the front sight had come loose, my fault for being overly anxious to shoot it. Still it was perfect with minimags, and had decent results with browning bps 40 gr. There were a few rounds that ftf with the Browning, but those were rounds that had bullets that were seated way out of spec.

Disassembly was stiff, the pin on the mainspring needed to be tapped out the first time. Reassembly was... Better than I expected? Had some trouble with the hammer spur, but the brownells video was really helpful and got it back together in about 15-20 minutes with minimal extraneous cursing.

Overall I think it'll be great for my purpose, and it's a fun gun to shoot. Thanks for the advice from everyone!
Old 03-15-2021, 8:18 PM

I train LOTS of new female shooters. Bookmark lite 5.5-inch is a perennial favorite. Reliable, lightweight, easy loading, drop free magazines, and slide stop, magazine release and thumb safety locations mimick those of most modern full size and compact defensive handguns so the transition is easy.
www.firearmsIQ.com

Last edited by lawboy; 03-15-2021 at 8:21 PM..
Old 04-03-2021, 7:48 PM

Default Finicky GSGs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageview View Post
Thanks for the invite tunabliss, unfortunately I'm in norcal but hopefully someone else will see who is looking to get their children/grandchildren into the sport.

How is the trigger on the lcrx georgemg? I've wanted one in 357 for a while, and that could scratch that itch.

I'll definitely consider the gsg or browning 1911s, fixed sights on both I think though? Not necessarily a deal breaker, but makes me less enthused. With getting ammo the way it is, trying to find a load that's reasonably close to poa makes and then trying to find the same thing again...

And want to work her up to 38s. 38s aren't much, but she's a bit nervous about shooting and just the noise factor alone makes me want to keep it super mild at the start. Plus it's an excuse to buy new guns lol.

I have a couple of GSGs, long barrel and short. Bought because they work the same way as 1911s. Took them both to the range the other day and had lots of ammo problems. I have to try to find the kind of ammo they like and will load properly in the magazines. Great fun to shoot when they are working though.
Old 04-03-2021, 8:00 PM
Progressives Suck!

I'm fond of the Ruger Mk II. I taught my girls to shoot with the Mk II and a 10/22. Can't get any more American than that.

I'm sure the Buckmark would be a fine pistol too.
Old 04-03-2021, 8:09 PM
Veteran Member

Check out the Phoenix Arms package too. Made in Hemet, CA. Very inexpensive pistol and you can change from 5" to 3" barrels. Costs about $200 for a full kit.
Old 04-03-2021, 8:33 PM

I did end up taking her out to shoot, moderately successful outing. She was very comfortable with the mark ii, but my limitations as a teacher are pretty apparent. I donít think many 19 year olds like dad telling them they should change how they are doing something, no matter how encouraging the dad is trying to be. She did try out my sp101 (with 38s) and double action was pretty much a non starter. Even cocking the hammer for single action was difficult for her. I should have brought my model 19, which has a much better trigger, but I wanted to shoot the sp101 so cíest la vie.

She enjoyed pistols much more than shotguns, and mostly hit the target at 5 yards😂, so overall it was a productive outing compared to taking her to try out clays. Rifles might be the sweet spot, maybe Iíll try a 10/22 next.
Old 04-15-2021, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Hey folks,

I'm not much of a pistol guy, but my daughter wants to learn to shoot a pistol ...
How old is she?

What's she going to use this gun for? (plinking? competition (which ones)? hunting small critters? self defense? )

If this gun is for her, then take her to the gun store and let her pick one out. You have to offer her advice, but let her pick the gun she likes.

I've found that young kids/women with smaller hands tend to be more picky about gun fitment than men.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Hey folks,

I'm not much of a pistol guy, but my daughter wants to learn to shoot a pistol and getting her started with 357 seems like a bad idea so I figure it's as good an excuse to buy a couple new guns as any. I'm not in a rush, so I can wait around for the right gun, but I figure I'd get started looking now and turned to you all for advice.

I'll probably pick up a buckmark, but looking for options for a second pistol of some sort that don't involve praying something comes up on the marketplace. I don't like double action triggers on autoloaders, want adjustable sights, not really interested in a single action revolver, and don't want to replace springs for a decent trigger on a double action so most of those are probably out.

A tx-22 looks fun, but california. So I'm hoping you folks have some interesting suggestions. Thanks in advance!
SW Lady Smith will shoot 38s. Compact size for a Lady and can pack a better punch than a 22. But if you can get a new Ruger LCP II in 22cal, but not on Roster. If either one of you a resident outside of California than your have a chance.

You can also do one better than 22cal is a 32 ACP which does not require pulling back the trigger or slide, Seacamp and Baretta 32 ACPs

Last edited by Harry Ono; 04-15-2021 at 10:31 PM..
Old 05-04-2021, 6:55 AM

Cheaper side go for a buckamark canít go wrong wit one of those.

Willing to spend a bit more get a smith Wesson 41 or colt woodsman! One is on the Olympic roster list and the other is a C&R

Hope you get a 22 pistol theyíre fun and get bang for your buck!.
Old 05-04-2021, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post
I have a couple of GSGs, long barrel and short. Bought because they work the same way as 1911s. Took them both to the range the other day and had lots of ammo problems. I have to try to find the kind of ammo they like and will load properly in the magazines. Great fun to shoot when they are working though.
High Velocity 1280 or better is what I use.