Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Young Calgunners
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Young Calgunners This forum is for our younger members, the sons and daughters of Calgunners, younger guests and their parents.

Old 10-21-2014, 4:04 PM

Default New juniors rifle program

Santa Clara Valley Rifle Club has a new juniors Rifle Program.

We intend to teach our community’s youth basic firearms safety, familiarization and operation. Programs may vary to maintain interest and variety, but we will always keep a focus on these three basics. We will encourage each participant to advance as far as he or she wishes, and will challenge them to try new disciplines and techniques, all the while attempting to keep each session interesting and fun.

We will cover such principles as trigger control, sight picture, sight alignment, breath control, and proper support, among others. As each participant progresses, we will add more advanced principles, including the basic shooting positions, and will introduce them to basic competitive shooting equipment. Our instructor is an NRA certified coach, instructor, and RSO.

We meet at 1580 South Tenth Street, San Jose, on the second and fourth Saturday of each month from 8 am to 2 pm. Ages are 10 to 18. Cost is free for juniors.

Inexperienced juniors must take a class before they can shoot on "open" days. First Steps will fit the bill, and is every second Saturday, if we have enough sign-ups for that day.

Sign-Ups & Information contact, e-mail myjrrp2014@gmail.com

"yet there is something still that will always be mine, and when I go to God's presence, there I will doff it and sweep the heavenly pavement with a gesture: something I'll take unstained out of this world... my panache." ~Cyrano de Bergerac

Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; 01-02-2015 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: Details, details....
Old 10-23-2014, 3:23 PM

Ha! Go figure. All those words up there, and I missed a few important ones. Sorry about that.

Ages are 10 to 18. Care to come shoot?

I'll go fix the text.
"yet there is something still that will always be mine, and when I go to God's presence, there I will doff it and sweep the heavenly pavement with a gesture: something I'll take unstained out of this world... my panache." ~Cyrano de Bergerac
Old 12-25-2014, 7:22 AM

Thanks
Old 12-30-2014, 5:56 AM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Flagstaff, Arizona up the hill at 7,000ft. originally from Minnesota, this ain't snow, its flurries

We started a shooting program here in Lemoore specifically for the Jr. High kids though anyone can come in and sign up.
Classes have run about 9 weeks, just finished a 5 week class more as a test.
Funds come from the NRA grant program.
City has given us indoor space with 16 lanes available and an office/storage space.
Also Archery classes started around November 1st.

We're using the Daisy M853 .177 CAL. (pneumatic) Air Rifle from CMP , you can get a refurbished model for $100 each and they shoot well.

Kids are diggin it, both boys and girls, several have purchased their own rifle.
Parents even come out and join in, some folks have never fired a gun of any sorts.

Its the 3 Position Air Rifle program rules and instruction we utilize in our program.
There are 4 of us regular coaching and 2 police officers come out to coach also when not on duty.

We just submitted order for some semi auto for some shooter advancement.

I put together a brand and T-shirt for the kids, Lemoore Hotshots is the name of the program. We are aiming towards getting some competitions between other cities programs.

By the way we used Wing Span Graphics to design our logo. Melissa did a great job for us, highly recommended if you're looking for branding artwork.
Just give her the concept and let her run with it, thread on CGN here.

Excellent program, we run it 1 hour twice a week, Tuesday and Thursday night.
The range goes into an 'Open Shooting' mode for an hour after the classes where anyone can come in and shoot their qualified air rifles. Several folks utilize this opportunity to keep their skills up.

Lurkers get involved, approach your city or county and see if you can get a program like this started in your locale. Its a hoot and the kids are learning about gun safety and handling, Makes great preparation for larger calibers should they decide to go thunderstick route.

Also quite a few Scholarships are out there for shooting.

Stinkpot put your email and all contact info, references etc in the post.
If you can, hyperlink your sites for easier access.

Vick

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more." (George Patton)

Picnic Time

Last edited by Can'thavenuthingood; 12-30-2014 at 8:34 AM..
Old 01-02-2015, 11:56 AM

We're hosting another NRA First Steps class on the 10th. E-mail and website are now in the OP. Please do check out the photos on the website. We have a LOT of fun!

Careful, there, Nuthin', we're gonna be shootin' against yer crew soon enough. Cute matching shirts!

Good to see more going up. All I hear around here is about clubs going down.