Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2020, 9:14 PM

Default Local gun store won’t sell me ammo unless I purchase a firearm from them?

Pls see subject line.

Background: was in a local gun store today (that I greatly respect) with intent to purchase center fire handgun ammunition.

I was informed by clerk that they would not sell me the ammunition I sought unless I purchased a firearm from them.

Is this the current norm given circumstances?

I am choosing to NOT name the vendor as I do not desire to impose a negative impact on someone’s business. Again, I respect this shop. I just want to understand if this is a current “norm”. I pressed the question and was given same answer from the clerk, whom was extremely professional and forthright.

Thanks for your thoughts
Old 10-07-2020, 9:19 PM

If your in Idaho I ran into the same thing. The “new normal?” Their business their rules and I completely understand they don’t want to sell anyone a club in the shape of a firearm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleCuss View Post
I despise Trump.
Old 10-07-2020, 9:20 PM

I seen a few shops like this now. Pretty hard to stay open in these times when you have no inventory. So it's a win for them sell a gun an have ammo for that customer.
Old 10-07-2020, 9:34 PM

Thanks for your insight - I totally support a win on behalf of local businesses. Bummer (and I’m sure the business I am referring to agrees) that this measure is even in place. I will continue to support them as a customer and chalk this up as another 2020 “metric”.

‘Appreciate the positive and transparent comments.
Old 10-07-2020, 9:36 PM
Veteran Member

I have no problem with it.. Oh you bought your gun from Turners to save $30?! Great! Go support them! Come back when you’re ready to support mom n pop shops that still have stock...

Then again, I’ve worked hard to build a good relationship with my LGS
Old 10-08-2020, 4:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Lightbulb

Their store; their rules.
Old 10-08-2020, 5:14 AM

Appreciate the comments - I have not had to purchase ammunition in quite some time and was surprised when this exchange occurred. I should have stated that I hope this is a temporary measure and that I’m sure both the store and consumer are unhappy about its reality given current state of affairs. I pretty much only support the mom and pop stores.

Best regards
Old 10-08-2020, 7:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Wait, you found a shop that had both guns and ammo on the shelf? Around here it's either one or the other, and not much of either when you do find it.
Old 10-08-2020, 9:06 AM
Veteran Member

With limited inventory I can see this happening. Now Big 5 jumped the shark in that they won't do a FSC test and issue the card unless you buy a gun from them.
It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:02 AM

I said the heck with it and jailed a bug-a-salt 3.0 a turners b/c I knew I could obtain readily available ammo at any grocery or convenience store.
Only 9 more days...
Old 10-08-2020, 5:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainoa88 View Post
I am choosing to NOT name the vendor as I do not desire to impose a negative impact on someone’s business. Again, I respect this shop. I just want to understand if this is a current “norm”. I pressed the question and was given same answer from the clerk, whom was extremely professional and forthright.

Thanks for your thoughts
Without a store name you're just whining. The Calguns motto has always been "their place, their rules".

The vendor is imposing a negative impact on himself and his business.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 10-08-2020, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post

The vendor is imposing a negative impact on himself and his business.
The vendor is most likely trying to ensure that all the noobs who have been buying have at least something for their new purchase. That to me seems reasonable.
Anyone who has been into firearms for some time should have been well stocked, long before all this bs happened. I don’t buy ammo now for several reasons: leaving some for the noobs, I have more than enough (I’ve actually given a bunch away), I reload, and it’s none of the ****ing government’s business of what I have.
Piss on them.
Old 10-08-2020, 8:18 PM

-Hanko: i appreciate your constructive observation that I’m “whining” - because I refuse to invite potential negative press to an American local business that is likely trying to stay afloat amidst uncertain economic times. Good on you. I’ll continue to stay off the internet with reasonable questions (note I rarely post) and seek answers elsewhere. You should change your name to Kamala.
Old 10-08-2020, 8:38 PM

Hanko: disregard my last statement. That was a stupid low blow comment on my behalf. Other things clouding current judgement. We’re all on the same team clearly, and I let petty interpretations cloud my posting. Apologies for the negative comment.
Old 10-08-2020, 9:22 PM
Veteran Member

I completely understand a gun shop implementing this policy during this time. How many people go to buy a gun, only to find out they can't find any ammo for it? Seems reasonable that a store would hold on to its limited stock of ammo to sell to a customer that buys a gun from them.
Old 10-08-2020, 9:42 PM
RSG Minion, Senior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

This happened to me during the .22 shortage ~8 years ago.
Went to a shop their first day of business right at opening hoping to snag a few rounds and check the place out.
Picked up some targets, headed to the counter and asked for some .22 that was on the shelf.
They said no, only for gun buyers even though there seemed to be enough to have sold me some as a goodwill gesture for their first customer.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nainoa88 View Post
Pls see subject line.

Background: was in a local gun store today (that I greatly respect) with intent to purchase center fire handgun ammunition.

I was informed by clerk that they would not sell me the ammunition I sought unless I purchased a firearm from them.

Is this the current norm given circumstances?

Thanks for your thoughts
You’re buying ammo. Did you buy any of your guns from this shop you “greatly respect” in the past? If so, talk to the owner/GM and pitch your case of a return customer who wants to keep returning, but is only in the market for ammo right now. Financial circumstances/wife circumstances etc. ( )

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Old 10-09-2020, 5:49 AM

While it is "their playground, their rules"
It's MY money, so MY Rules!

I would simply take ALL of my business elsewhere.

I buy guns from so many different places, but actually drive past Bass Pro Shop everytime because of the way I was treated when I went there to but a pistol.

All these places with stupid rules should win stupid prizes.

Out of business!
Old 10-09-2020, 7:49 AM
Banned

Unless they are rationing their ammunition for new firearm purchasers, I don't understand why they are doing this.

Given the irrationality of the last couple of months, this could be one way of ensuring hoarders bugger off, and encouraging new firearm sales. After all, who wants to buy a gun if there is no ammunition available?
Old 10-09-2020, 10:18 AM

Faced the same issue up here in the Bay Area. I only found one shop who was willing to sell 9mm ammo though limited. Not range ammo as well so pretty pricey $39.99 for a box of 20 hollow point rounds. (Same price from the LGS who sold me my Glock except I had a choice of range ammo or HD ammo). Another problem was purchasing from private sellers. If you want to do it legally, good luck finding a FFL that will process ammo transfer. And unless you are buying ALOT, the fee just increases the total price of ownership. So yeah, its no longer a matter of pricing but a matter of availability. Just to mix things up for me, I ended up purchasing a Glock 20SF (10mm). It seems those rounds are still somewhat available. Good luck in your search OP!

Last edited by bnacorda; 10-09-2020 at 12:27 PM..
Old 10-09-2020, 12:11 PM

Thank you California for 1) putting in place the roster, which serverely limits what you can buy and therefore the number of times you might buy; and 2) prohibiting ammo purchases by internet. ��
Old 10-10-2020, 8:37 PM

There should be more available supply after the election
Old 10-10-2020, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeisgood View Post
I'd say this statement is highly dependent on who wins, but more so when manufactures are able to work at full capacity.
Old 10-10-2020, 9:28 PM
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I think I would do it differently if I were the shop owner, but I think I understand their situation.
Old 10-11-2020, 8:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeisgood View Post
Not if Biden wins.
Old 10-31-2020, 5:05 PM

As a dealer, I want to keep a box of ammo for every firearm I have on the shelf. So if I have five 9mm pistols on the shelf, I try and have five boxes of ammo. I don't want to sell someone a club. Now any excess is free game.

01 FFL, Chula Vista, CA
www.westcoastsurvivalarms.com
info@westcoastsurvivalarms.com
Old 10-31-2020, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
Not if Biden wins.
That's right...these may be the good ole days.
Old 10-31-2020, 7:27 PM
Banned

Maybe our OP just needs to be nicer to people?

Supporting your LGS is, almost always the right call.
Old 10-31-2020, 7:33 PM

OK, I'll take that Glock 19 and 15,000 rounds of 9x19mm ammo.
Old 10-31-2020, 7:43 PM

Maybe the OP misunderstood the shop. Most stores, Turners and LGS alike are holding ammo for folks that are picking up firearms because of the short supply. I have been in multiple sporting goods with that current policy. Big and small alike. This holds true in AZ, Wy, Ca and Nevada
Old 11-02-2020, 1:00 AM

It's not uncommon when 9mm or the like runs low. It sucks but at the same time I'd be more bummed if I was buying a new gun and couldnt purchase any ammo for it.