Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 04-22-2022, 9:19 PM

Default AREA 419 Zero Press

Does anyone have a Area 419 Zero Press?

I think I NEED one

Old 04-23-2022, 7:19 AM
Veteran Member

I do, I love it.

Old 04-23-2022, 11:43 AM

At $1,275.00 I doubt the AREA 419 zero presses will fly off the shelf, I have a Herter 6 position turret press I paid $15.00 dollars for it many years ago; and then I purchased a 2 ram Herter press, after that I had to have a stronger press, so I purchased a 'U' type press after that I located a SUPER 3.

I do not know what you need in the form of a press, I suggest you purchased two RL550B Dillons with different accessories.

F. Guffey
Old 04-23-2022, 11:55 AM

I'm quite happy with my T7. I do appreciate the fine machinery though.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2022, 2:27 PM

It seems nice in all the ways that won't necessarily make better ammo, or make ammo faster.

That price gets you a pretty decked out Dillon.
Old 04-23-2022, 5:59 PM

The specs look pretty impressive.
Old 04-23-2022, 6:55 PM

A Kia will get you where you want to go,,do you need a corvette?
As I reload over the years,i ask myself,will that new piece of kit improve my shooting or just satisfy my obsessive compulsive disorder?
I shoot factory rifles for the most part,so I wonder where I would start spending ,if money were no object.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/HL-Se...=photos_stream
Old 04-23-2022, 7:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomReloaded View Post
It seems nice in all the ways that won't necessarily make better ammo, or make ammo faster.

Last I checked Dillon did not make turret presses. Making better ammo is a matter of perspective, it does make better ammo than other presses I was using.
Faster is not an issue. Most of the time is spent in case prep anyway.

Last edited by tanks; 04-23-2022 at 7:33 PM..
Old 04-23-2022, 10:07 PM

Tanks I see you have the Big Dog stand too, nice! Very nice. Do you have the 419 lock ring dies too?

From everything Ive read this press is the best of the best. Probably a bit over engineered and has a price tag that makes most cry.
Old 04-23-2022, 10:30 PM

Can’t wait to get mine!
Old 04-23-2022, 10:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomReloaded View Post

That comparison is like a Rolls vs a Corvette. Those two presses are for different purposes.
Old 04-23-2022, 10:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
Tanks I see you have the Big Dog stand too, nice! Very nice. Do you have the 419 lock ring dies too?

From everything Ive read this press is the best of the best. Probably a bit over engineered and has a price tag that makes most cry.
Compared to what those people pay for scopes or a tripod, it's no big deal.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:47 AM

Have one for 6 month and love it. Function wise I don't think you will see that much difference consider its price. But it does hold position pretty tight and repetitive. I guess most people bought this one for its nice looking. It's just beautiful. A little warning, you could easily throw 2K+ into this press. It has a lot of useful accessories and they're all pricy.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:29 AM

I've been using mine for about a month now, had a CO-AX and Rock Chucker before, and there is no comparison. Resizing and seating bullets is more consistent, and I have easily shaved off at least a third of the time that I normally spend reloading.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:24 PM
Probationary Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

It’s a beautiful looking press and I can appreciate the aesthetics but I’m content with the presses I currently have. I’m sure if I had seen this back when I had more disposable income, I would have been ‘all in’!
Old 05-09-2022, 7:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Dispatched the Estonians and Lithuanians, now workin' CA.

It looks really cute and all, but I wonder how the Lee Classic Cast measures up to it.

For the price, It BETTER do-Oh, does not look like it can really do swaging. Yeah no funny dies on this press, although it DOES look very pretty.

How long has the company been in business for and how is their customer service? This might be a fun press to buy just to play with. Don't think I can do anything really except maybe use it to size some pills and maybe load a caliber at the same time.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...
Old 05-12-2022, 8:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.h View Post
I've been using mine for about a month now, had a CO-AX and Rock Chucker before, and there is no comparison. Resizing and seating bullets is more consistent, and I have easily shaved off at least a third of the time that I normally spend reloading.
You went from a single stage to a turret press. I would be shocked if you DIDNT shave at least a 1/3 of the amount of time.

I was cranking out a completed round in a turret press (size, prime, powder, seat, and crimp) in about 15-20 seconds.
Old 05-12-2022, 11:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have been tempted to sell several of my presses for this one. I have 3 Dillon Square Deals in different calibers and also Rock Chucker. I use the Rock Chucker for .308win only now and since I got a Dillon 650 I have not used the Square deals at all. So far all the reviews of this press are very impressive.

NRA Benefactor Member
. CRPA Member
Old 05-13-2022, 4:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19K View Post

I was cranking out a completed round in a turret press (size, prime, powder, seat, and crimp) in about 15-20 seconds.
Yeah, but no one that wants to be efficient is going to use a turret press like a progressive, not to mention it would be easy to skip steps.

I also prime (RCBS auto primer) and charge powder (RCBS MatchMaster) separately. Turret press is used to de-prime (Mighty Armory Universal de-prime die) , resize and seat bullets only.

Add chamfer and de-burring and annealing to the workflow then you are really talking most of the case prep for rifles being outside the turret press.
Old 06-19-2022, 10:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/...od137266.aspx?

On sale. Kinda. You get a $150 gift card if you buy one.
Old 06-22-2022, 7:13 PM
Veteran Member

It looks like an amazingly well built press. The only presses I have used are a Dillon 650 and Forester Co-Ax and can't see a reason to own a turret press over the two presses I have.

What advantage does a turret press have over a single stage or a progressive auto-indexing press?

Originally Posted by icallshotgun88:

I'm sorry, but if you don't think Glocks are reliable then we can't be friends...
Old 06-22-2022, 8:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy View Post
It looks like an amazingly well built press. The only presses I have used are a Dillon 650 and Forester Co-Ax and can't see a reason to own a turret press over the two presses I have.

What advantage does a turret press have over a single stage or a progressive auto-indexing press?
The progressive presses are for high volume not as precise ammo production. I can do 3K an hour of .40 S&W on mine. Just keep feeding it components while it keeps on chugging.

Most single stages have a bit of slop and you can see it on concentricity measurements. Not to mention that as one takes on and off dies even when marked it is not as precise.

Turret presses allow you to leave the dies in place after setting them up. Area 419, specifically, is very solid and smooth to operate and one gets the same results every time.

It also depends on one's needs and how picky there are. There are people who have never even chronographed or measured their MV though they have been reloading for decades. Minute of deer has been good enough for them.
Old 06-23-2022, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
How long has the company been in business for and how is their customer service?
12 years, and CS is reported to be excellent (I have very little experience with them though.)
Old 06-29-2022, 4:00 AM

It's the HG-1 (manual coffee grinder) of presses

Old 06-29-2022, 8:21 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Looks sweet, but they didn't get the memo that most reloaders are, lets say, "value oriented", myself included. I have the Lee Classic Turret and love it. Is this press better? Undoubtedly, it looks amazing. But it costs almost 10x as much or more. Will the ammo it produces be 10x better than what my LCT can make? I don't know. For me the bottom line is value. If someone shoots precision and wants to own this press, it may be a good value for them, even though it is expensive. If they are like me and just want to primarily crank out ammo for casual plinking and fun, it's probably overkill.

I reload rifle on a Lee Classic Cast (the one made out of old railroad ties) for rifle and precision, not that I shoot long distance since I sold my RPR. The LCT is for cranking out 9mm, .45 ACP and 9x18 Mak and for that job, I can't see dropping that kind of coin. I get it though, it does look like a Lamborghini and I am sure the feel must be excellent and super precise. It's cool, but not for me. If I was to spend that kind of money, I probably would spend it on a Dillon setup.

Old 06-29-2022, 2:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Looks sweet, but they didn't get the memo that most reloaders are, lets say, "value oriented", myself included. I have the Lee Classic Turret and love it. Is this press better? Undoubtedly, it looks amazing. But it costs almost 10x as much or more....
They did get the memo, and they can't keep it in stock. I had to wait 4 weeks for mine.

You are not their target customer. It is geared towards high volume shooters that are looking for consistency.

And regarding the cost, it is a one time cost. Heck, my annealer cost more and I had to wait a long while for it as well.
Old 06-29-2022, 5:22 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks View Post
They did get the memo, and they can't keep it in stock. I had to wait 4 weeks for mine.

You are not their target customer. It is geared towards high volume shooters that are looking for consistency.

And regarding the cost, it is a one time cost. Heck, my annealer cost more and I had to wait a long while for it as well.
Wow, that's cool that they are selling out. Yes, I would personally rather load precision rounds on a single stage, but if you want to do it faster, this seems like the way to get it done.

Rock on!

Old 06-30-2022, 2:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Looks sweet, but they didn't get the memo that most reloaders are, lets say, "value oriented", myself included. I have the Lee Classic Turret and love it. Is this press better? Undoubtedly, it looks amazing. But it costs almost 10x as much or more. Will the ammo it produces be 10x better than what my LCT can make? I don't know. For me the bottom line is value. If someone shoots precision and wants to own this press, it may be a good value for them, even though it is expensive. If they are like me and just want to primarily crank out ammo for casual plinking and fun, it's probably overkill.

I reload rifle on a Lee Classic Cast (the one made out of old railroad ties) for rifle and precision, not that I shoot long distance since I sold my RPR. The LCT is for cranking out 9mm, .45 ACP and 9x18 Mak and for that job, I can't see dropping that kind of coin. I get it though, it does look like a Lamborghini and I am sure the feel must be excellent and super precise. It's cool, but not for me. If I was to spend that kind of money, I probably would spend it on a Dillon setup.
They don't make that press for people that buy Lee presses.
Old 07-01-2022, 1:23 PM
Veteran Member

BTW, at Area 419 site if one uses the code "Freedom10" then one will get a 10% discount on everything in stock until the 6th.
Old 07-10-2022, 2:17 PM

I have 3 turrets and loading 223, 224V, 6ARC, 6.5G, 6.5CM, 6.8SPC but set up for 308, 30/06, 303, 8x57, 7.62x54, 6.6x55, 7.5 French & Swiss………..

I love it, reload more often. Started with RC to Lee Classic Turret to COAX now with 419, best investment I’ve made in reloading. I reload for precision not just blasting.