Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 05-28-2021, 8:08 AM

Good morning! First time poster here. I submitted my initial application and completed everything, but was waiting on my livescan. I finally had my firearms portion clear on 5/17 but haven't heard from my investigator yet. Is this normal?
Old 05-28-2021, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budguy21 View Post
Why would you ever want to carry without a holster? Making sure the trigger is covered is a fundamental part of firearm safety. Do you qualify without a holster? No range would allow that for safety reasons therefore you shouldn't do it.
I agree! However, my son carry SW Shield .40 with Thumb Safety and carries everyday using a belt clip.

You wonít get gun control by disarming law-abiding citizens. Thereís only one way to get real gun control: Disarm the thugs and the criminals, lock them up, and if you donít actually throw away the key, at least lose it for a long timeÖ Itís a nasty truth, but those who seek to inflict harm are not fazed by gun controllers. I happen to know this from personal experience.Ē

President Reagan
Old 05-28-2021, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA-Rider View Post
Weíre all here to learn. Like every interaction outside of the web, information can always be gleaned regardless of how it is communicated. Some are more biting than others but in the end, we all try to help each other.

I had to read the online instructions several times for it to make sense to me Ö and it was my first time applying, too.

I hope your app gets approved quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. I know that questions can be repeated over and over again. Thank you both and to everyone for responding and helping.
Old 05-28-2021, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slp893 View Post
Good morning! First time poster here. I submitted my initial application and completed everything, but was waiting on my livescan. I finally had my firearms portion clear on 5/17 but haven't heard from my investigator yet. Is this normal?
From what I understand, itís a waiting game now. Iíve heard that after the LiveScan being cleared individuals getting approved the next day to up to 5 weeks out. Still has to go to DOJ from what I understand. Hopefully soon. Iím waiting myself. Keep us updated.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:

Mine took about a week but that was back in April. There was a point in time that they had to shut down because of new scamdemic rules so it would depend. I did get confirmation that they have all my info on a Saturday so the investigators and the department under Sheriff Bianco are doing their due diligence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprop316 View Post
From what I understand, itís a waiting game now. Iíve heard that after the LiveScan being cleared individuals getting approved the next day to up to 5 weeks out. Still has to go to DOJ from what I understand. Hopefully soon. Iím waiting myself. Keep us updated.
Will do, thank you! Good to know I'm not an outlier. Fingers crossed it completes soon. Have my holster coming any day and a new carry light out for delivery this afternoon!
Old 06-01-2021, 5:08 PM

For renewals, are classes and qualifications available at Ben Clark or is everyone doing it through Riverside Indoor/other third party only?
Old 06-01-2021, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comandante costello View Post
For renewals, are classes and qualifications available at Ben Clark or is everyone doing it through Riverside Indoor/other third party only?
you might want to call and see if they're doing classes at Ben Clark. I haven't seen any recent posts on members taking classes at BCTC. you can definitely be sure that riverside indoor shooting range are doing classes and qualifications same day.
Old 06-01-2021, 6:42 PM

question for you all. i had my interview last week on Thursday and re-worded my GCS. if and when approved, how do they contact us to let us know that we've been approved? E-mail, text, or phone call?

thank you in advance for replying back.
Old 06-01-2021, 8:20 PM

I was contacted via Text and Email.
Old 06-01-2021, 8:23 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavadog View Post
I was contacted via Text and Email.
Thank you for responding. Much appreciated.
Old 06-06-2021, 9:07 PM

Quote:
I did mine through Firearms Training Associates. They hold their classes at Raahauges in Corona. The son in law runs the class. The guys that help him are okay. These guys all have the drill sergeant personalities when you get out on the range but I would too if I was dealing with 40 civilians with handguns. I did my initial class at Ben Clark which was cool. I too had to renew and thought of going back to Ben Clark but I tried looking for info about it and couldnít find any. Also if I remember correctly when I first applied my investigator was the one that signed me up for Ben Clark. The website didnít promote BC whatsoever so I assumed they stopped classes.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I recently did my initial 8 hour at Ben Clarke and they did ask if we were there for renewal or initial. A few folks were there for renewal and were told to report directly to the range. Not sure how to sign up, but it seems renewal quals can be done there.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2021, 2:28 PM

Posting my CCW process and timeline in the hopes of spreading more information to the community that got me this far.

Application Submitted - 01/27/2021
Initial Interview Scheduled for - 07/29/2021
With some due diligence, I checked every Monday to reschedule the appointment to an earlier date and successfully rescheduled it to 6/24/2021 and then to my official/final interview date of 5/27/2021.
Completed my CCW course qualifications via Defensive Tactics & Firearms on 05/08/2021.
Livescan completed on 06/03/2021 at the Promenade Mall.
-CA and Federal Completed
-Firearms still processing. It seems like this is a common issue with the DOJ recently, based on previous posts.

Thoughts:
Waiting on hearing back from the Riverside Sheriff on their decision regarding my application. The interviewer was incredibly polite, respectful, and helpful. Despite being a younger applicant, she assured me that my application was well presented and my GCs were "very well done".

I voted for Chad Bianco because I felt like he would make some changes to the structure in Riverside. After going through this entire process, I'm glad that there's someone making some real change for law abiding citizens like us to exercise our 2nd amendment, despite living in CA. A lot of people forget that voting on a county and state level is far more important, in regards to immediate quality of life changes, than on a federal level (although still very important).Will report back with updates. Happy Wednesday!
Old 06-10-2021, 8:23 PM

Not sure where to ask this but I might be moving to Riverside County later this year. I will be renting a room in a relative's house. From what I am reading on RCSO's website, I will need to update my driver's licenses address and I need my name on a utility bill? Would changing my address on my driver's license cause a snowball effect like insurance, car registration, financials, etc? Just asking before I start the process
Thanks
Old 06-10-2021, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcali View Post
<snip> I might be moving to Riverside County later this year. I will be renting a room in a relative's house. From what I am reading on RCSO's website, I will need to update my driver's licenses address and I need my name on a utility bill? Would changing my address on my driver's license cause a snowball effect like insurance, car registration, financials, etc? Just asking before I start the process
Thanks
With DMV, you can have a mailing address printed on your DL, and they will keep your residential address, which must show an address within RivCo, relatively private. Law Enforcement, of course, will see both addresses on their mobile computer terminal. As for the others you mentioned, you would have to effect those changes yourself and vehicle or property insurance will usually be able to show both residential and mailing address, if they differ. If you have a mailing and residential address, one document you will need to upload in Permitium will have to be an insurance DOC and the other, a utility bill.

Now, if you are going to have a confidential address because of your statutorily defined occupation Ė court employee, judge, law enforcement, etc. Ė that becomes a little more complicated, depending on your BI. If you get to this stage, PM me and I can discuss my resolution, or a LEO can reply and give you additional guidance.

Good luck and welcome to RivCo!
Old 06-16-2021, 7:52 PM

Quote:
I was wondering if you heard anything by now? Iím in the same boat with a later date of firearms completion and have been wondering the same thing. Any information helps, thanks!
Old 06-16-2021, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickym33 View Post
I was wondering if you heard anything by now? Iím in the same boat with a later date of firearms completion and have been wondering the same thing. Any information helps, thanks!
Same here. Live scan was complete on 5/11 and my interview was 5/27. Made some changes to my GCS, emailed my investigator the same day letting him know I uploaded a revised GCS. Havenít received anything yet. Just waiting patiently. Iíve read that it may take up to 5 weeks. This is the hardest partÖwaiting.
Old 06-16-2021, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Same here. Live scan was complete on 5/11 and my interview was 5/27. Made some changes to my GCS, emailed my investigator the same day letting him know I uploaded a revised GCS. Havenít received anything yet. Just waiting patiently. Iíve read that it may take up to 5 weeks. This is the hardest partÖwaiting.
Yeah my interview was 5/3 and I had to rewrite my GCS as well, same day got an email response saying that it was good to go. Live scan started 5/12 and completed at the end of the month. I emailed my investigator when it showed firearms completed, never got a response. Youíre right, the waiting is the hardest part.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickym33 View Post
Yeah my interview was 5/3 and I had to rewrite my GCS as well, same day got an email response saying that it was good to go. Live scan started 5/12 and completed at the end of the month. I emailed my investigator when it showed firearms completed, never got a response. Youíre right, the waiting is the hardest part.
At least you got a response that your GCS was good. I havenít gotten anything. I even called my investigator, left a message. No response back.
Old 06-22-2021, 9:53 AM

The only thing I havenít done prior to interview is the Live Scan. Am I supposed to do that before or after interview?
Old 06-22-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaPatriot View Post
The only thing I havenít done prior to interview is the Live Scan. Am I supposed to do that before or after interview?

Did your BI contact you over the phone or E-Mail? If so, they wouldíve sent you the Live Scan form as well as instructions.

When I went through the process back in March of this year while the scamdemic protocols were in place, they were still conducting most of the interactions, including interviews, over the phone. Prior to the telephonic interview, I was sent the Live Scan form and instructions via E-Mail and I got it done the next week: all three came back within 7 days after that. There have been some applicants who were able to get the forms sent to them before their interviews.

It seems it would depend on your BI: if they send or give it to you, get it done because it seems they are already inclined to submit your app for approval if they provide the Live Scan info.

Good luck!
Old 06-22-2021, 11:55 AM

Okay that helps, and explains why it seemed to be a black hole in the process. I have not received anything from the investigators on that, so I will wait.

In other news, that the investigators / Riverside County Sheriff's staff were so present, and helpful, at the Ben Clark training center was awesome. It was irritating that I couldn't find any link to register for the training, but after I found the right person to email it was smooth as butter, and quick. For those reading, my input is that it would seem crazy to take the training anywhere else (i.e. some private guy, vs from the agency issuing the licenses).

There is definitely a kind of personal, "small group" vibe to the whole process after seeing those folks in person. The sheriff wants all safe and legal folks to be able to get their license, and that drives the tone for the entire process.

Thanks Riverside County Sheriff's Office!
Old 06-22-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaPatriot View Post
<SNIP>

In other news, that the investigators / Riverside County Sheriff's staff were so present, and helpful, at the Ben Clark training center was awesome. It was irritating that I couldn't find any link to register for the training, but after I found the right person to email it was smooth as butter, and quick. For those reading, my input is that it would seem crazy to take the training anywhere else (i.e. some private guy, vs from the agency issuing the licenses).

There is definitely a kind of personal, "small group" vibe to the whole process after seeing those folks in person. The sheriff wants all safe and legal folks to be able to get their license, and that drives the tone for the entire process.

Thanks Riverside County Sheriff's Office!
Sounds like something I might consider for renewal. I shied away from BCTC for the initial training because they made people wear body armor. I like to practice / train in what Iím likely to wear everyday and if the ďfit hits the shan,Ē but I can understand why the precautions are necessary.

From your description, it seems they actually do some range training. I appreciate your feedback!
Old 06-22-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA-Rider View Post
Sounds like something I might consider for renewal. I shied away from BCTC for the initial training because they made people wear body armor. I like to practice / train in what Iím likely to wear everyday and if the ďfit hits the shan,Ē but I can understand why the precautions are necessary.

From your description, it seems they actually do some range training. I appreciate your feedback!
I did my initial training there and a follow up to add a new gun to my permit. I never had to wear body armor and this was all within the past few months. I did watch a YouTube video about bctc showing that you had to wear armor, but they don't seem to be doing that anymore.

The deputies were all great, but the only "training" on the range was them coaching folks that were on the verge of not qualifying. Otherwise, if you are good to go, you'll just get basic range rules/procedures and that's it. They are all approachable though, so I'm sure they'd be willing to give some pointers if asked.

During the lecture portion of my initial, one of the deputies mentioned she teaches a handgun course that is the only one open to the public at bctc and anyone interested in the course could sign up. I didn't dig any further into the training, so I don't have more info on it, but it was fairly cheap for an actual training course if I recall correctly.

Old 06-30-2021, 6:13 PM

Has anyone had any updates lately on waiting for their approval? it's been a month since my interview and everything has cleared with my livescan before my interview. Just antsy.
Old 07-03-2021, 11:07 AM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Default Out of state LE contact

It seems to me that I read that I need to report to RSD (IA) any time I have a LE contact but I canít seem to find that verbiage in any of my documents and I had thought I had kept copies of every document in my filming cabinet.

Can anyone give me some clarity?

TIA

Canít somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 07-03-2021, 12:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
It seems to me that I read that I need to report to RSD (IA) any time I have a LE contact but I canít seem to find that verbiage in any of my documents and I had thought I had kept copies of every document in my filming cabinet.

Can anyone give me some clarity?

TIA
You signed off on something like that during the application process, just prior to entering your personal information.
Quote:
Applicant Acknowledgment of Restrictions

In the event I am detained or arrested by any law enforcement agency, or asked to present my license to any peace officer. (sic) I shall notify the CCW Unit as soon as it is practical to do so, describing the details of the law enforcement contact. Additionally, I understand that I am to report any court actions, either civil or criminal, where I am directly involved.
Old 07-04-2021, 6:53 AM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
You signed off on something like that during the application process, just prior to entering your personal information.

Is that the text from riverside? I wouldnít think that a verbal warning on an driveling infraction would be considered detained.

Canít somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 07-04-2021, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Is that the text from riverside? I wouldnít think that a verbal warning on an driveling infraction would be considered detained.

I asked the BI who took my photo and issued / printed my license the day I picked up mine. He said they donít care much about traffic violations but something like an altercation with a neighbor during which law enforcement contact is made.

At the very least, calling or emailing the CCW Unit would be fruitful.
Old 07-12-2021, 2:12 PM

I haven't been able to reach the Riverside CCW department yet and was hoping someone could help me with this question.

I have a gun on my permit that I am selling. After I sell it off, do I need to modify my permit to omit said gun from my CCW? Or is it okay to have it still listed on my CCW even if I no longer own it? Much appreciated!
Old 07-12-2021, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krist003 View Post
I haven't been able to reach the Riverside CCW department yet and was hoping someone could help me with this question.

I have a gun on my permit that I am selling. After I sell it off, do I need to modify my permit to omit said gun from my CCW? Or is it okay to have it still listed on my CCW even if I no longer own it? Much appreciated!
I don't see a situation where it would be a problem. If you sell through a CA FFL there will be a record that you no longer own it. if you are selling out of state, be sure to file the appropriate form on the DOJ CFARS site. I believe the title of the form is "no longer in possession" or something similar.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 07-13-2021, 11:49 AM

Thanks MC, makes sense to me.
Old 07-13-2021, 1:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yes. That is verbatim from the Permitium site. You agreed to it. What it really means is anybody guess.
Old 07-13-2021, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Has anyone had any updates lately on waiting for their approval? it's been a month since my interview and everything has cleared with my livescan before my interview. Just antsy.
Hello,
Wondering if you heard back as of yet?
Old 07-21-2021, 7:46 PM

Possibly Useful Tip: The Palm Desert location for the interview was nice because they do the live scan then and there. Just show up 30mins early and bring a blank money order for $10.

Good Luck
Old 07-21-2021, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan2512 View Post
Hello,
Wondering if you heard back as of yet?
Hi. Sorry for my late response back. I did get a response. You might want to call your investigator and just follow up on your application. When I called last week on Monday and spoke to him, we went over a couple of things and 3 days later I got the text and email. So give a friendly call to follow up.
Old 07-22-2021, 7:23 AM

i applied for CCW through riverside county. everything went smooth after applying. the case file officer was helpful and completed my file. however, DOJ "firearms" apparently still shows "in progress" after 12 weeks. CA and FBI was completed within one day. investigator informed me that they have not received the DOJ response and that was the only remaining item. does anyone know if there are issues with the DOJ or whether they are extremely backed up.
Old 07-22-2021, 7:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedanesq View Post
i applied for CCW through riverside county. everything went smooth after applying. the case file officer was helpful and completed my file. however, DOJ "firearms" apparently still shows "in progress" after 12 weeks. CA and FBI was completed within one day. investigator informed me that they have not received the DOJ response and that was the only remaining item. does anyone know if there are issues with the DOJ or whether they are extremely backed up.
This seems to be a sticking point for many, including myself, in the process. 12 weeks seems excessive though. I would try and contact someone, unfortunately I don't know who.

Old 07-22-2021, 7:59 AM

could the possible reasons be; number of firearms on application or change of address within the last year. also there was an issue/error from 41 years ago on the rap sheet which was resolved by an attorney and most purchases have been approved within a day or 2. there were a few FA purchases that went past the 10 days, but one had to do with the FFL's address error and the other, i am not sure. both were eventually approved. isn't the doj standard of approval, whether the applicant is legally authorized to possess a firearm. doesn't the CCW discretion lie with the county; or could the DOJ exercise discretion to not approve a CCW, while at the same time allow a person to be a legal possessor.