Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 07-12-2021, 6:55 AM

Default FFL/CFARS Processing Times

Hi Folks,

Lurker for a long time, CCW for longer, Californian by birth. Have a few questions on processing times.

I submitted my FFL last month, and CFARS COE a few days later. Around the same time I also filed for my business license, which got the quickest response and requests for more information including COE and copy of FFL application.

So far, crickets.... Can anyone who's recently gone through this give me some expectation on timing?

I don't want to be impatient, but want to know what to tell the city, and of course set my own expectations for other (marketing, purchasing, etc) purposes.

TIA,

Lance
Old 07-12-2021, 7:30 AM

FFL - less than a month. COE seems to be running 3 months for newbies and a couple weeks for renewal.

NRA/DOJ/ILEETA instructor, NRA RSO, Journalist
Old 07-12-2021, 7:33 AM
The Pack Horse of Love
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: On a drunken joyride down the Dunning-Kruger Parkway

Two weeks for renewal. Mine was going to expire on the 21st.

A vast improvement over the three months for a renewal last year.

Bart:
I hate to disappoint you, ma'am, but you're suckin' on my arm!
Old 07-15-2021, 6:33 AM

Thanks to both! Initial/new COE in under a month! Still waiting on FFL but a days left

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlglock View Post
FFL - less than a month. COE seems to be running 3 months for newbies and a couple weeks for renewal.
Old 07-15-2021, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandeminvest View Post
Thanks to both! Initial/new COE in under a month! Still waiting on FFL but a days left
My COE is on its 6th week still in process.
FFL03 in 3 weeks.
Old 07-15-2021, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakso View Post
My COE is on its 6th week still in process.
FFL03 in 3 weeks.

Check to make sure they arenít waiting for something from you - like a copy of your driver license. Happened to a coworker.

Old 07-15-2021, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Check to make sure they arenít waiting for something from you - like a copy of your driver license. Happened to a coworker.
It came back as incomplete twice, first "comments" were missing as of why my FFL03 was missing, second time it was the DL. I have updated my profile/application with DL, FFL03. Now waiting for more roadblocks.
Old 07-18-2021, 12:50 AM

FFL Type 08 applied April 23, 2021. Two issues specific to me.

1. They did not like my self fingerprinting (card size was wrong so their scanners did not work) and I forgot to sign the credit card auth page so that caused a few days delay.

2. FBI had placed 2 erroneous flags which the ATF guy in WV said he would push through his boss if they didnt remove but he wanted to give them a chance because it will come up on renewal. Two weeks later they removed it. This delayed things obviously.

The guy in WV said that everyone in CA was applying and there is a choke point on background checks (1 person does the whole state) and they were swamped so its slower than normal.

I got my number July 16, 2021 paper should arrive soon. 84 days. Take off 18 days or so due to the issues and it was right about 2 months start to number in hand.

COE was a different story. For two weeks CFARS said "application error" when trying to apply. A certified letter, issue report, and email all went unheeded for 3 weeks. By that time I got a single issue report response saying "we have received your stuff" and it has sat. 28 days since I was able to actually apply but they do not count the first two days because they had to tell me I needed to upload a drivers license pic and birth certificate (not a real id). The stupid thing is there was no provision to upload the documents on initial application so this is a way of keeping their times down by delaying requesting those. :/

Magstripe reader was a PITA because the model numbers DOJ says are no longer in production and I had to hunt around for a viable replacement known to work. I ordered Magtek model #21040145 because others on this forum reported that model number to work well with DROS. Everyone has that in stock (cdw, amazon, gemini, newegg, and more). The issue I know of is CA does not use the AAMVA standard for the barcodes, they have to be special so the reader has to support their AAVMA modified standard.

CFLC registration was near instant once I had my FFL#.
CDTFA (formerly BOE) resellers certificate was instant (ATF agent said that usually takes the longest, but I have never had a problem getting permission to collect revenue for the government)
DOJ Certified Instructor class is in a few hours, but reading the guide book if you cant pass you probably shouldnt be handling firearms. It was hard to find someone in my area who is both qualified and has time.
ATF Eforms - requested access to my FFL # its pending

I think that is about it for things I know the time frame on, or otherwise had issues with. Below is a list of things I cannot guess on the time frame.

TBD:
Apply for centralized list (waiting on COE, DOJ Cert Instruct, etc)
DROS/NICS enrollment (need other stuff first)
Residue of FFL importation registrations and permits - months longer because its serially done but I can operate as a reseller in the meantime. This step is only if someone is a type 8/11 so most will never have a delay this long.

Last edited by RedPandaGear; 07-18-2021 at 12:55 AM.. Reason: added AAMVA info for funsies
Old 07-18-2021, 7:52 AM

16 bucks for this mag stripe reader:

MSR90 USB Swipe Magnetic Credit... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DUB4GVO...p_mob_ap_share

Old 07-21-2021, 7:54 PM

Default Checking on ATF?

Is there an easy way to check? Or do I just wait? I haven't seen or heard anything.

Quote:
Old 07-23-2021, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Is there an easy way to check? Or do I just wait? I haven't seen or heard anything.
CFARS webpage will let you know if they are waiting for something on your COE. They should have emailed you.
https://cfars.doj.ca.gov/cfars-home

Upon logging in at the top middle column it should say something like "Your request is pending"
You can also click on "Certificate of Eligibility (COE)" on the left then "COE transactions" to get to the individual transaction you are curious about.

For the FFL, ATF "customer service goal" is 4-6 weeks processing but they say up to 60 days. https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/how-...fl-application

They will charge your credit card or cash your check just before it gets sent to the local field office. The local office is who is going to do your in person interview. They do have a WV number you can call and ask about the status of your FFL but off hand I dont recall what that is and didnt find it quickly via google. They advise not to call until 6-8 weeks from application being received.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:58 AM

Thanks,

I am good on the COE, just waiting on the ATF, so heading in to week 5 this coming Monday, at least since they processed my payment.

Must be backlogged.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPandaGear View Post
CFARS webpage will let you know if they are waiting for something on your COE. They should have emailed you.
https://cfars.doj.ca.gov/cfars-home

Upon logging in at the top middle column it should say something like "Your request is pending"
You can also click on "Certificate of Eligibility (COE)" on the left then "COE transactions" to get to the individual transaction you are curious about.

For the FFL, ATF "customer service goal" is 4-6 weeks processing but they say up to 60 days. https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/how-...fl-application

They will charge your credit card or cash your check just before it gets sent to the local field office. The local office is who is going to do your in person interview. They do have a WV number you can call and ask about the status of your FFL but off hand I dont recall what that is and didnt find it quickly via google. They advise not to call until 6-8 weeks from application being received.
Old 07-23-2021, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks,

I am good on the COE, just waiting on the ATF, so heading in to week 5 this coming Monday, at least since they processed my payment.

Must be backlogged.

Have a great weekend everyone!
You can always call your local field office and request an update. It seems like 5 weeks since it was sent is a long time, but I do not know what their workload is nor whether they are doing covid protocols (at one point they were doing telephonic interviews because of covid) or if a type 03 even has an interview.

https://www.atf.gov/los-angeles-fiel...-field-offices
Old 07-25-2021, 10:37 AM

Thanks,

Got back late Friday, and guess what there was a voicemail.

Too late to call but next step here we come.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:58 AM

Ive seen several of my friends come back in under 3 weeks, but I think i hold the record on COE time frame.

10 months and 8 days between applying and approval. Delayed twice, WHILE actively drosing and taking possession of nearly a dozen firearms.

**** the doj!
Old 07-26-2021, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetIE View Post
Ive seen several of my friends come back in under 3 weeks, but I think i hold the record on COE time frame.

10 months and 8 days between applying and approval. Delayed twice, WHILE actively drosing and taking possession of nearly a dozen firearms.

**** the doj!
Its almost as if they dont want people to be able to get a COE, or any of the other things CFARS is used for.
Old 07-26-2021, 3:48 PM
Klaatu barada nikto
CGN Contributor

When I renewed my COE last year (Aug) it took 5 weeks for them to process and issue a renewal. Submitted early Aug and it didn't appear until second week of Sept. Year before that , 2 days. Not sure when I am going to submit for renewal this year.

Beware of people who are certain they are right. That certainty allows them to justify almost any act in pursuit of their goals. ( Jack campbell , Guardian)
Old 07-27-2021, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microwaveguy View Post
When I renewed my COE last year (Aug) it took 5 weeks for them to process and issue a renewal. Submitted early Aug and it didn't appear until second week of Sept. Year before that , 2 days. Not sure when I am going to submit for renewal this year.
I just got my new COE. Renewal took two weeks to the day. I think I submitted it three weeks before it expired. Cut it too close...
Old 07-27-2021, 8:29 AM

6 weeks here.