Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 12-03-2020, 10:21 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxWoodsHunterxX View Post
That’s why I asked cause isn’t a lever action the technically a single action? Just like a revolver you have to manually. Activate hammer to turn cylinder just as a lever to chamber a new round?
Whether it is or is not a single action is irrelevant, because the single action exemption only applies to REVOLVERS. Literally the word REVOLVER is written in the law. Unless you are going to try and also argue that a tube fed lever gun is somehow a revolver, it seems the action type is moot, at least for this particular exemption.
The single-action exemption only applies to revolvers and it does not apply to pistols.

The Henry Mare's Leg is a (non-semiautomatic) pistol [11 CCR 4049(p)], not a revolver [11 CCR 4049(t)].

California Code of Regulations Title 11 Division 5 Chapter 5 Article 2 Section 4049
(p) “Pistol” means a handgun in which the chamber is part of the barrel. A pistol can either be semiautomatic or non-semiautomatic, but not fully automatic.
(t) “Revolver” means a handgun with a cylinder having several chambers so arranged as to rotate around an axis and be discharged successively by the same firing mechanism through a common barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiah12 View Post
There have been a few FFLs that have sold Mare's legs in the past as a single shot by plugging the magazine tube with a wooden dowel. Many have stopped doing this though since the DOJ has now taken the position that converting a single shot handgun into a semiautomatic handgun is manufacturing an unsafe handgun.

I came across one that would only sell it if you allowed him to cut the magazine tube down so it could only hold one round.

Since I plan to move to a free state, i have decided to wait to buy one until after my move.
Pre-2015, some CA FFL dealers would modify the Henry Mare's Leg to meet the requirements for SSE.
Post-2015, most of those CA FFL dealers stopped doing it because SSE2 required a bolt-action or a break-open action to meet the requirements for SSE2.
From 2015-2018, a few CA FFL dealers were still willing to transfer as a SSE2 because they were taking the position that a lever-action was a type of bolt-action.
However, almost all of them stopped that in 2018, when CA DOJ BOF issued their stance that modifying a SSE2 pistol into another configuration was considered manufacturing a "new" unsafe handgun.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 12-03-2020 at 10:24 PM..
Old 07-21-2021, 6:16 AM

Quote:
There have been a few FFLs that have sold Mare's legs in the past as a single shot by plugging the magazine tube with a wooden dowel. Many have stopped doing this though since the DOJ has now taken the position that converting a single shot handgun into a semiautomatic handgun is manufacturing an unsafe handgun.

I came across one that would only sell it if you allowed him to cut the magazine tube down so it could only hold one round.

Since I plan to move to a free state, i have decided to wait to buy one until after my move.

Hate to bring up old threads but technically it wouldnt be coverting a single shot in to a semi automatic handgun would it since it is technically a lever action which means it never was semi auto?
Old 07-21-2021, 10:04 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxWoodsHunterxX View Post
Hate to bring up old threads but technically it wouldnt be coverting a single shot in to a semi automatic handgun would it since it is technically a lever action which means it never was semi auto?
You are correct. However when PC32100(b) was changed to close the SSE loophole for semi-auto pistols, it also made it harder to do many other types of pistols including lever action.

Old SSE law:

Quote:
Article 4 (commencing with Section 31900) and Article 5 (commencing with Section 32000) shall not apply to a single-shot pistol with a barrel length of not less than six inches and that has an overall length of at least 10 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled.
New SSE law:

Quote:
Article 4 (commencing with Section 31900) and Article 5 (commencing with Section 32000) shall not apply to a single-shot pistol with a break top or bolt action and a barrel length of not less than six inches and that has an overall length of at least 10 inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled. However, Article 4 (commencing with Section 31900) and Article 5 (commencing with Section 32000) shall apply to a semiautomatic pistol that has been temporarily or permanently altered so that it will not fire in a semiautomatic mode.
Before, you could make nearly anything a dimensional single shot - but now it has to be break top or bolt action. So you would have to argue that a lever action is a bolt action. Some FFLs may do it. They will call an AR a "straight pull bolt action" and maybe a lever gun a "lever actuated bolt action".

But note that CA Hunters study guide distinguishes between bolt and lever action. And the DROS form entry distinguishes between bolt and lever action. So the state may have a different opinion on what makes a gun a bolt action.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 07-21-2021 at 10:13 AM..
Old 07-21-2021, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuayThaiJJ View Post
Dude, that's awesome. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna just go ahead and order the model I want for the SA conversion. I don't feel to confident about doing the surgery though. Have you done it a lot?
EBay for the part.
YouTube on how too.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:

If you move to a free state, pay your $200 tax stamp and put a real stock on that Mare's Leg. Then you would have something useful.

WTT Sig P239 My 9mm for Your .40, Bay Area, No Ship http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1732166