Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

View Poll Results: ...
... 0 0%
... 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2016, 9:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Agreed, my father's birthday is the sunday of 7.5 and he'll be coming with me
Old 09-04-2016, 9:03 PM

I am trying to make it out there in the next couple weeks if weather chills out some. Will report road conditions if I do make it out.

I may move kinda quick though...
Old 09-04-2016, 10:42 PM
CGSSA Director - C3 Leader & Regional Gun Show Booth Coordinator (LA/OC/IE)
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Unbelievable information.

Please keep the Intel coming if you would.

Lonewolf.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable. George S. Patton
Old 09-04-2016, 10:57 PM

First call.

To all our NRA certified RSOs willing to assist.

Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience if you would.

Lonewolf.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable. George S. Patton
Old 09-05-2016, 1:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonosrcng View Post
That's more like it, unfortunately it seems I will not be welcome at the shoot though.

May I ask why. If necessary, feel free to pm me please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermcoupe View Post
I know you're excited to get planning on 8.0, but let's get 7.5 off the ground first.

I'm sure there will be a thread sometime in the beginning of the year for planning 8.0

In the meantime:[list][*] We still need more RSOs - if you're planning on getting certified in the coming weeks, please post up.
-You'll carry a radio, wear a hi-viz vest, and be expected to help inspect/clear the line during cease-fires. The more RSOs we have, the faster we can do changes.

[*] BBQ stuff to share - we'll be having the potluck BBQ on Saturday - please bring something to share if you're able. Can't go wrong with a case of water and a pack of dogs/burgers & buns

We're about 8 weeks out -
I unfortunately missed the last one, but there used to be a potluck BBQ lunch and dinner on Sat. Has that changed and if so, which meal is it, lunch or dinner. Thank you.

If things work out renting a trailer for my 2 grandsons and myself, we'll be out there. The company is giving me a great rental deal, but they have changed some things and it still not cheap, when food is factored in. The older one has been there before and they are both aware of the 4 safety rules.

Last edited by retired; 09-05-2016 at 1:48 AM..
Old 09-05-2016, 6:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
May I ask why. If necessary, feel free to pm me please.

I unfortunately missed the last one, but there used to be a potluck BBQ lunch and dinner on Sat. Has that changed and if so, which meal is it, lunch or dinner. Thank you.

If things work out renting a trailer for my 2 grandsons and myself, we'll be out there. The company is giving me a great rental deal, but they have changed some things and it still not cheap, when food is factored in. The older one has been there before and they are both aware of the 4 safety rules.
It was a joke, I was referring to Vics picture of a zombie operator. If I was a zombie I would not feel very welcome.
Old 09-05-2016, 9:29 AM

Count us in again. Prob with 6 and roughing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2016, 6:39 PM

I switched to a different shooter for night time out there.Gotta love very little moon and dark skies.i am pretty sure after this month the milky way goes away for a while.Was visible til atleast 11:30 when i finally went to bed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (18.5 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (22.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (22.9 KB, 65 views)
Old 09-05-2016, 6:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code 798

Quote:

Lunch is the primary attraction and will be up on the hill per usual unless something drastically changes re: getting vehicles out to the site, or whatver is going on.

However, last Nov we had so much leftover/donated/good-will folks that we ended up having another potluck dinner with half the camp. Something about Staterbros marinated something or other and a couple of tri-tips that took all day to cook.

No matter what, these guys will have something to eat and you'll probably end up camped next to them anyways

And if anyone else out there shows up and runs out of food or whatever, i'll have plenty of extra - just come find me over at the contributor's camp and pig out.

-------
Old 09-06-2016, 6:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If blm does go through and cover the roads up to our firing line with boulders, are we going to carry all of our gear up and walk back and forth? I am fortunate enough to be in good enough shape to make that walk, but I'm sure there are some of us like my father with bad backs and knees and ankle and whatever other physical problems, the will prevent some of us from participating?
Old 09-06-2016, 9:45 AM
C3 Leader

Might need to develop a shuttle of some sorts.

ATV and trailer?

Vick.

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more." (George Patton)

Calguns T-shirts, hats and stickers

CALGUNS.NET logo stickers and patches (3 inch) are here

Picnic Time
Old 09-06-2016, 10:12 AM
Win win win win
CGN Contributor

Location: Ventura County, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

We'll figure something out...

Taking applications for hunky calgunners now. Need 5/7 volunteers.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
If blm does go through and cover the roads up to our firing line with boulders, are we going to carry all of our gear up and walk back and forth? I am fortunate enough to be in good enough shape to make that walk, but I'm sure there are some of us like my father with bad backs and knees and ankle and whatever other physical problems, the will prevent some of us from participating?
The hill is accessible from a "road" (trail) down range to the left but would probably only have very limited use.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk1 View Post
The hill is accessible from a "road" (trail) down range to the left but would probably only have very limited use.
Are you talking about the road that's used normally or just driving the south end that's in line with the firing line? If it's the latter, then yeah limited use by people who have vehicles that can go that way
Old 09-06-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Are you talking about the road that's used normally or just driving the south end that's in line with the firing line? If it's the latter, then yeah limited use by people who have vehicles that can go that way
Yeah and probably limited to use only during cease fire? I don't recall if it is on the front of the hill or in a possibly dangerous place.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk1 View Post
Yeah and probably limited to use only during cease fire? I don't recall if it is on the front of the hill or in a possibly dangerous place.
There is a north and south access road that comes up from the camping area, but the hill does continue south and could be driven by 4wd but other than that there would be no access without driving out into the range
Old 09-06-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
There is a north and south access road that comes up from the camping area, but the hill does continue south and could be driven by 4wd but other than that there would be no access without driving out into the range

Yeah it definitely goes into the range.
Still a possibility for 4x4 during ceasefire if needed.
I might be able to head up there within the next few weeks to see how they have covered the normal routes.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:54 PM

There were trails headed up there was a new one just north of the old north one. Andvyhere was another on the south that a car could do. I went up on the north one with my truck with a cab over it had a twist at top of road which was scary for me but in a reg truck no worry just use. lol speed.

The new one on the south I couldn't remember if it was just south of the now covered south entrance or just north of it. It had obvious trials but were light.
Old 09-06-2016, 2:17 PM

This is some great information folks, please keep the Intel coming.

Evidently we have a few new things to consider for our family gathering.

It seems that our BLM officers don't mind visitors using the spot for recreational shooting but they may not like people parking right at the top of the plateau.

At the same time it seems like access ramps still exist and they are fairly accessible for regular vehicles/trucks.

We still have plenty of time to determine how we are going to do this, so any information will be highly appreciated so we can plan accordingly.

We are law abiding gun owners and the last thing we want is to incommodate site ordnances and local jurisdiction.

Lonewolf.

Old 09-06-2016, 3:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermcoupe View Post
Lunch is the primary attraction and will be up on the hill per usual unless something drastically changes re: getting vehicles out to the site, or whatver is going on.

However, last Nov we had so much leftover/donated/good-will folks that we ended up having another potluck dinner with half the camp. Something about Staterbros marinated something or other and a couple of tri-tips that took all day to cook.

No matter what, these guys will have something to eat and you'll probably end up camped next to them anyways

And if anyone else out there shows up and runs out of food or whatever, i'll have plenty of extra - just come find me over at the contributor's camp and pig out.
I recall going to one that had a planned potluck for both lunch and dinner. The reason I do is I brought food up for both meals to be shared by those who were there. I can't recall if I went to the Nov. one or not. In any case, I certainly appreciate your offer.

I didn't take mrlonewolf's offer of a flat spot he saved for me the last time I went so the guys in our trailer could stay together. I wish I had because the walking back and forth to the potluck and raffle area and our shooting area became a problem for me. This time I will.
Old 09-06-2016, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlonewolf View Post
This is some great information folks, please keep the Intel coming.

At the same time it seems like access ramps still exist and they are fairly accessible for regular vehicles/trucks.

We still have plenty of time to determine how we are going to do this, so any information will be highly appreciated so we can plan accordingly.

Lonewolf.
There were atleast 2 routes for sure i didnt take pics to keep on down low and the normal routes that are covered no point there we all know that.

There are other options to get up there if creative and look at it then i just used a current one.The camp area was wide open looked good and good for atvs.Road from end of soft stuff to camp area was solid and good shape.( just before last last fork where you turn into area).

I am going the weekend before and will get pics of anything you need then to pm for your final plans.May also head out in oct too since we have turned shooting into family camp trips.
Old 09-06-2016, 3:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code 798

Quote:
I recall going to one that had a planned potluck for both lunch and dinner. ...
SSZS 5.5 we had the normal Saturday lunch bbq en masse, and then a smaller, "contributors" dinner potluck. We can do that again if you like

-------
Old 09-07-2016, 12:28 AM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15robert View Post
If you know how to drive soft stuff you will have no probs pedal down don't stop til past. Panic thinking your gonna get stuck you will get stuck. In last minute instructions this should be addressed it wasn't bumpy just soft no need to slow if you don't have to.

My next trip is October and can report then too things may change depending on weather a lil rain is gonna help too much may hurt.
I went to the one earlier this year in my new Camaro. Turn off posi-trac and floor it. Once I hit 25 mph my car rode on top of the gravel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
5 guys, hot damn thats some good eat'n.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyromensch View Post
damn, i duped my own thread...first time i did a poll
Old 09-07-2016, 6:19 AM

What about moving said rocks aside for duration of event then moving back? Tow straps and a 4x pickup or two should be able to move them? Unless they are very big...?
Old 09-07-2016, 6:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukleusX View Post
What about moving said rocks aside for duration of event then moving back? Tow straps and a 4x pickup or two should be able to move them? Unless they are very big...?
They were small enough on the other roads before that you could move them by hand. But we don't want to upset blm and have them shut the area down
Old 09-07-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
They were small enough on the other roads before that you could move them by hand. But we don't want to upset blm and have them shut the area down

Was just thinking move before then move them back. But you have made me rethink my idea and I see your point. Don't wanna upset the BLM and have them close area or some other drastic action.

Is there room for ATVs to pass? Perhaps an ATV or SxS taxi service could be created to help folks with mobility issues? I'm not an owner but if I was I would be down to help... SSZSSxSTaxi. Hahaha
Old 09-07-2016, 10:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

What they did was cover the road. Not just a few at the entrance or approach but covered the road with basketball sized boulders for a long distance
Old 09-07-2016, 10:53 AM

Well damn. Pre-run is gonna be interesting then!
Old 09-07-2016, 3:40 PM
C3 Leader

Okay, we need a contact at google earth to run one of those camera cars up and down the road a few times so we can have a look see.

Vick

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more." (George Patton)

Calguns T-shirts, hats and stickers

CALGUNS.NET logo stickers and patches (3 inch) are here

Picnic Time
Old 09-07-2016, 3:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Agreed
Old 09-09-2016, 8:56 AM
C3 Leader

Porto Potty Fund:

All, we have had 2 people throw into "the pot"

Let's get MrLoneWolf reimbursed for the rentals.

You can PayPal me the funds: RealtorAndrewMendez @ gmail.com
Old 09-09-2016, 3:20 PM

Heading out tonight for recon at dawn. Anyone else going to be in area?
Old 09-09-2016, 3:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'd go, but I'm picking up a new one tomorrow
Old 09-09-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I'd go, but I'm picking up a new one tomorrow

A new gun? Or a new pet zombie? Haha

Loitering at flying j trying to decide wether or not to complete the final leg tonight or at dawn...

Old 09-10-2016, 6:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMendez View Post
Porto Potty Fund:

All, we have had 2 people throw into "the pot"

Let's get MrLoneWolf reimbursed for the rentals.

You can PayPal me the funds: RealtorAndrewMendez @ gmail.com
I'm betting that if every adult in attendance would donate 5 bucks to this cause, it would be more than covered.
Old 09-10-2016, 1:06 PM

The main road heading all the way into camp area is same as last time. Couple washouts as typical of desert terrain.

Trail/road up to the firing line is covered in small rocks.

There are still other means of getting from camp level up to line which are doable in vehicles without 4 wheel drive. Just have to have momentum (and maybe some decent ground clearance).
Old 09-10-2016, 1:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well damn
Old 09-10-2016, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukleusX View Post
The main road heading all the way into camp area is same as last time. Couple washouts as typical of desert terrain.

Trail/road up to the firing line is covered in small rocks.

There are still other means of getting from camp level up to line which are doable in vehicles without 4 wheel drive. Just have to have momentum (and maybe some decent ground clearance).
Great Intel sir.

I do appreciate the feedback and graphic report, hang tight brother. You will have some company there first thing in the morning.

Our Army and Navy brothers ( Billsinca & Ramrodjan55 ) are getting ready to depart for the location before dawn and report back.

I'm pulling all my available strings to be there as well, you know my time is extremely tight since I'll be leaving for Africa on a hunting safari next week but I'll try my best.

Lonewolf.

Old 09-10-2016, 4:20 PM

Had no one show up to exact spot although a white 2nd gen Dodge Ram and a silver Nissan Frontier hauled on by both directions as we were in place most of day. Would that of been them?
Old 09-10-2016, 4:33 PM

Looking to arrive some time shortly after seven. Got some new items to try out. Will be in a white 4runner, and billinca will be in a maroon Ford 4x.