Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 01-20-2020, 9:24 AM

Default California National Guard

Are you Prior service or on active duty and looking to ETS?
Have you ever thought about continuing your military service and maybe gaining another retirement?
The National Guard offers time to start, continue and finish you degree or certificate programs. We also offer great low cost health and dental programs.
If you didn’t like or appreciate your old MOS, we could also send you to another MOS-T school.
If any of this interests you, please feel free to message me back or answer me with a reply and I will message you back.
Thank you for your service.

Last edited by AurorA56$$; 01-21-2020 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: Too many negative people
Old 01-20-2020, 9:55 AM

Don't forget to tell them about the interminable deployments, but short and long term, multiple ATs and interruptions to work and school.

I spent 18 years in CalGuard. You'll be basically active duty without being active duty or getting the benefits.

If you're active duty, try to gut it out and stay there until 20. You get the benefits of full time employment, Tricare, etc. If you go Guard or Reserve, you lose alot of it but you still are going to have a LOT of active duty time. As a reservist, you will not see a retirement check (IF you're still allowed one under the new rules) until age 60, minus any years on T10 after 2007(?)

Example: A 35 year old Soldier has 15 years AFS and wants to go Guard. If he waits another 5 years, he gets an active duty retirement check of 50% at age 40. If he goes Guard and gets an average of 100 points per year, it will take him another 15+ years to get that same active duty retirement dollar amount. He'll now be 50, when he gets the 20 year letter, instead of 40. Make sure you tell him about the difference between Reserve/Guard and Active retirement dollar amounts. They're NOT necessarily the same. And, of course, there are all the "Guard-isms".

Low cost medical is good with Reserve Select, but United Concordia Dental is NOT a good company. Better than nothing, but most civilian plans are better.

Please do them a huge favor and make sure you tell them everything about the reserves. I've had numerous Soldiers tell me that this is NOT what they were sold at the recruiters and would have made a different decision had they been told everything.

"How often do you see them?"

"All the time. They're everywhere." ***in tears***

Ask me about low cost Commander memberships to Frontsight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Don't attempt to inject common sense into an internet pissing contest.

Last edited by Supersapper; 01-20-2020 at 10:04 AM..
Old 01-20-2020, 10:13 AM

Thatís is why the Guard is going back to the 2 days a month and 2 weeks, because of retention. Deployments donít happen as often as they use to.
If you were enlisted before, you are probably adult enough to get a training schedule for the year so you can get enough time to plan and notify your employer. There are plenty of people who are in right and going to college or other schools. Their employers and instructors understand their sacrifices and work with them if something comes up.
As for the insurance; at least ppl will have insurance instead of Soldiers having employers that are giving them minimum hours to not offer health and dental. The state now makes tax payers pay penalties for not having health insurance.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:48 AM

Iíve been in for 23 years now. 4 years in the Marines, 3 yrs in Active Army, and 15 years as traditional guardsman, retired from my county job, now doing AGR as a recruiter. I was always nervous about turning in my employer letter, but I would always turn in my yearly schedule to them. Plus; a guardsman and reservist is protected by laws.
Old 01-20-2020, 3:17 PM

In the case of prior service my rant doesn't really apply. You guys should know what you are doing, and I feel the NG and USAR is best for those who are older and don't need to go to school, or are prior service and looking to finish out their time.

So I don't want to cause friction too much on this thread, but the only thing I see going for the NG and USAR is the very cost effective health plan. I'm not saying it's great. I'm saying it's cheap. For me as a mid 40's male it's $50 a month, and dental is another $10.

As for education, yes, while there is an annual tuition assistance program, it isn't any better than what generic corporations offer anyway for jobs as simple as flipping burgers. And this program is not like the GI Bill, you only get it while you are in the NG/USAR.

The unit I just left has the next three years of 29 days training missions in the middle of March. So anyone going to school just effectively lost the ability to go to college in the Spring for the next three years. So the USAR effectively added an additional year to complete a degree for anyone going to school while in my unit.

A regular employer would assist you about the same cost wise, and wouldn't stop you from going to night school one entire semester every single year for potentially the duration of your eight year obligation.

The GI Bill on the other hand needs 3 years of ACTIVE duty time. So if you are in the NG or the USAR and never deploy or put on title 10 orders you are never vesting any GI Bill time. I've been in NINE YEARS, and with one deployment, and two years on title 10 orders working Missions I AM NOT FULLY VESTED myself. I'm only at 90% (which is pretty good). But folks are out there with as much time with ZERO vesting.

Now, units DO exist that have "cake" training schedules, but you are not going to stumble upon them going to a recruiter. The recruiter is only going to see what is given to him, and you can bet he's getting spoon fed all the crap positions that are hard to retain for.

What defines crappy? Because even a cook job could be a cake assignment depending what you are attached too.

I have a theory:

If the ASVAB requirement for a given MOS is low (easy to get the position for idiots), but there is a modest cash bonus or higher then that's a warning flag.

It's perfectly fine to see $20K bonus for EOD techs, for payment upon completion of EOD school, but when that same $20K is being handed out to warehouse clerks for re-enlistment and they DON'T have to go to school (re-enlisting) and are staying in the same job, that's a MAJOR hint what they want to leave sucks.

So what do you do???????? I am not saying ignore the recruiter. He/she is where you absolutely have to start. As far as the USAR/NG goes DO NOT SIGN ANY CONTRACTS until you have spoken with the receiving unit's 1st SGT or Company Commander.

You CANNOT do this with Active Duty, but you CAN with the NG and USAR.

My biggest complaint I have about one of my soldiers we took in was she was sold on the bonus for the warehouse clerk job, but recently finished dental assistant school.

I had to give her a distance waiver because she was outside the 50 miles from my unit.

HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!!!! There was a USAR DENTAL UNIT with a PRIMARY VACANCY in the rank of E3/E4 only 30 minutes from her.

But she already signed on, so she was screwed.

While I was a Company Commander I always asked new soldiers:
1) How far is your drive?
2) Do you own a card?
3) Are you going to school?

There's a reason for that. New young soldiers are not showing up to drill once they find out what they got themselves into.
Old 01-20-2020, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurorA56$$ View Post
you are probably adult enough to get a training schedule for the year so you can get enough time to plan and notify your employer.
True..........however.........

In my two years of command I have signed SEVEN annual training schedules because of changes throughout the year (usually about every 4-6 months).

A published annual training schedule doesn't mean anything.

Last edited by Snoopy47; 01-20-2020 at 3:26 PM..
Old 01-21-2020, 9:35 AM

Quote:
That’s is why the Guard is going back to the 2 days a month and 2 weeks, because of retention. Deployments don’t happen as often as they use to.
If you were enlisted before, you are probably adult enough to get a training schedule for the year so you can get enough time to plan and notify your employer. There are plenty of people who are in right and going to college or other schools. Their employers and instructors understand their sacrifices and work with them if something comes up.
As for the insurance; at least ppl will have insurance instead of Soldiers having employers that are giving them minimum hours to not offer health and dental. The state now makes tax payers pay penalties for not having health insurance.
Ummm. No. That is NOT the case. NGB and the Pentagon are pushing not to do that, but rather they want 56 UTAs per year and 2 x annual training periods. Deployments are RAMPANT, and I include in that all of the extra week and 2 week this and that training. 40ID went back to back deployments last year to AFG and in the 3 previous years I had to do 3 x ATs per year to cover down on "missions". Your information is dated. If Iran and Syria turn South, it'll be up again.

Also...Snoopy47 above is correct. I've seen annual training schedules change OVERNIGHT within a week to 14 days of the actual training. This happens with regularity. If you're a full time recruiter, I don't think you're tracking the pain that part timers go through. You can't be faulted for that because there is a KNOWN rift between full time force pax and part timers. We part timers are seen as second class sometimes and the decisions made by full timers virtually NEVER take into account the 2nd, 3rd and sometimes 4th order effects.

Why would they do that? Because every time a Guard unit goes to MOB station or a PPP, they are berated for the lack of training quality and quantity and it's not up to "Big Army" standard; therefore they have to waste time doing it again. The NG/USAR always counter that there isn't the time in the schedule during a training year to get it done. There were some hearings about it and the resultant proposal was that they increase the number of days and reduce the extraneous training (like that online crap). I spent significant time as an OC/T...I've watched the painful realities of reserve training in person.

For the record, you may not know this, but employers are savvy to all of this. They are NOT HIRING NG/USAR Soldiers in a lot of cases and many of them know about the 5 year cap on protections from USERRA. They do not have to outright deny employment because that's illegal. They just simply never call you back. If you do not tell them you are in the reserves, you can be fired for lying on your application and USERRA can NOT protect against that.

I'm just saying make sure you give them both the rose AND the thorns.

Quote:

Last edited by Supersapper; 01-21-2020 at 9:37 AM..
Old 01-21-2020, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Iíve been in for 23 years now. 4 years in the Marines, 3 yrs in Active Army, and 15 years as traditional guardsman, retired from my county job, now doing AGR as a recruiter. I was always nervous about turning in my employer letter, but I would always turn in my yearly schedule to them. Plus; a guardsman and reservist is protected by laws.
Not always. The laws I sort of address below, but USERRA and ESGR can NOT protect that way and do not have enforcement powers. They do not even advocate, they simply inform.

Those laws do not protect as well as you think and they have consequences for education and employment.

PLEASE...desperately to avoid issues with people regretting their decision, get educated on the dark side of reserve work. You'll be better prepared to inform the recruit of what he's getting himself into.

Quote:
Old 01-21-2020, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Thatís is why the Guard is going back to the 2 days a month and 2 weeks, because of retention. Deployments donít happen as often as they use to.
Not that I'm aware of. Trump removed that penalty for the taxes.

Quote:
Old 01-21-2020, 1:46 PM
Veteran Member

I have found that a good number of guys who transition to the guard from Active hate it and I get a large number of AWOLs, ING/IRR, medical and hardship discharge requests, or I get a guy who says heís going IST and then never follows through, which is AWOL either way.

In 19.5 years, Iíve had three overseas deployments, one stateside deployment (title 10) and two title 32 missions. All total Iíd say that Iíve spent 70 months on various orders just rough guessing it. Iíve been to a number of schools, not every one Iíve wanted, been dropped from a few for BS reasons like losing Joint Firepower Course because some LT wanted to go too.

All total it ainít bad if you get lucky, but it can be horrible if you end up in a toxic unit, been there.

Because my unit is doing so many MUTA 8s (4 day drill) this spring I had to schedule my classes this semester so Iím only on campus Monday and Wednesday so I donít miss any lectures because of drill. Thankfully I have priority registration so I can do that, but not everybody is that lucky.
Old 01-21-2020, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersapper View Post
Not that I'm aware of. Trump removed that penalty for the taxes.
its a state law apparently
Old 01-27-2020, 4:59 PM

Oh boy, some salty Guardsmen in here, great place to ask questions....

I'm looking into CANG. When in the recruitment process does the recruiter talk to me about what jobs I can do (assume great ASVAB scores)?

We've talked a lot about the basics and the process of applying, but little about specific jobs.

Good idea to ask to talk to the receiving unit.
Old 01-27-2020, 5:28 PM

I joined Cal ARNG in 1988.
12B. Hit 10 years and said goodbye.

During my tenure, I was activated for one earthquake, two floods, and volunteered for two forest fires.
That was why I joined the National Guard.

Then Desert Storm hit.
My unit was allegedly two weeks away from being activated.
Overseas war fighting was not why I joined, and I got the Hell out.

My unit got deployed to the sand boxes not once, but twice after my ETS.

Many of the guys I was in with are still fighting with the VA to get their broken bodies fixed properly. Knees. Backs. Hearing. That needs to get addressed for all veterans.

National Guard should be just that. National.
Until that gets fixed, recruiters are going to have an uphill retention battle.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
When in the recruitment process does the recruiter talk to me about what jobs I can do
Only in the military are you hired by someone that doesn't know what you are going to be doing.

Then you are trained by someone that you will not be working for.

Finally, the person that you will work for didn't ask for you in the first place.
Old 01-28-2020, 6:14 AM

If I had to do it all over again I would have gone active duty from day one. Being unemployed between deployments because employers know you will be a frequent absentee yet wonít mention that issue in any way shape or form is no fun. On active duty you learn a skill, have a stable job, and during slower ops tempo PCS can do college classes instead of drinking all night. Retire at 40 with 50% base pay (roughly 25% of your usual pay) and get a federal civilian job or a contractor position. Far better than working retail in between multiple ATís.
Old 01-28-2020, 7:36 AM

If your in the National Guard and all you can do is sit and cry about it, and blame everyone else, then get out or retire.
Old 01-28-2020, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp1 View Post
If I had to do it all over again I would have gone active duty from day one. Being unemployed between deployments because employers know you will be a frequent absentee yet wonít mention that issue in any way shape or form is no fun. On active duty you learn a skill, have a stable job, and during slower ops tempo PCS can do college classes instead of drinking all night. Retire at 40 with 50% base pay (roughly 25% of your usual pay) and get a federal civilian job or a contractor position. Far better than working retail in between multiple ATís.
Right on the nose............

The worst thing a young person can do out of high school is join the NG/USAR.

If you are professionally stable then fine, join.

Otherwise you run the risk of never getting a substantial career. The vast majority of soldiers I see make it 20 years have employment situations where they either make their own schedules, or are employees of government agencies that have to bend over backwards to conform to them.

I left my job (resigned, I was done with finance) to join the USAR, and figured I'd just get something else afterwards. Ever since the USAR in 9 years I've not landed a full time job. I've floated from orders to orders, and a few temp jobs.

Every instance I pursed and progressed down the Law Enforcement path the USAR would mess up the process.

Now, I could have forced it, and just blown things off at the cost of a general discharge or greatly hindered USAR career.

You just have to realize, that is the balance. You are not going to be a high speed soldier in a civilian job position where your employer sees you as a significant contributor to the business.

You aren't going to be the guy they go to for the high profile presentation or sales pitch, or lead a construction project when you have to step away for weeks on end at short notice for what amounts to lame training that isn't even a mission.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Aurora, you do yourself, your recruits, and the Army a disservice by whitewashing over the serious challenges and issues with the Guard/Reserve.

I've been a reservist for 17 years now, 12 as a platoon sergeant.

Yes. USERRA "protects" Soldiers. Officially. The reality is Soldiers can't get jobs because the employer doesn't want to deal with it, and Soldiers are let go from employment for "other" reasons. And USERRA will just shrug.

Yes. A Unit has a yearly training schedule. In my experience that schedule is a rough idea but that schedule changes a lot, sometimes on short notice. And you are expected to drop everything at the expenses of the job that actually pays the bills.

Not to mention the hundreds of hours of online training or medical LHI appointments you're expected to do on your own time. For free. And if you don't take time from your family or real job you're a 'bad Soldier'. (Per my unit the Army is no longer paying Soldiers for online correspondence courses completed, and spare me the LHI voucher, that barely covers gas).

Last edited by IrishJoe3; 01-28-2020 at 11:06 AM..
Old 01-28-2020, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If your in the National Guard and all you can do is sit and cry about it, and blame everyone else, then get out or retire.
What an absolute cop-out. There are serious cultural and operational issues in the guard and the reserve, at the expenses of our junior Soldiers. I assume you're an Army leader, instead of recognizing and working to change that cultural your response is basically accusing anyone takes issue with Army failings a cry baby.

You're talking to probably more than 50 years of army reserve/guard experience here as well as senior noncoms and officers, but yeah we're probably just crybabies who need to retire.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJoe3 View Post
(Per my unit the Army is no longer paying Soldiers for online correspondence courses completed).
I believe that is correct. I like to think I broke the system. The year prior to the removal of correspondence courses from the Reg for retirement points I knocked out all the accounting and bookkeeping courses (since I have a degree in Finance) to "test" the system. So I basically knock them out in quick order, and WOW the points actually posted when I submitted the 1380s.

The next FY the reg was changed and removed the ability to get points for correspondence courses.

Too bad as there was a Captain Career Course on the list for something like computer science. I was going to do that too, because it was A LOT of points.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:38 PM

Snoopy, IrishJoe,

The FY20 EBDL for USAR is payable up to 12 ATAs annually, for courses listed in the policy guidance. To process pay, a SM submits a DA1380, DA4856 (from company commander, giving direction to complete the course), and proof of completion (certificate, etc). For you guys in USAR, the 63rd RSC (and 81st, 88th, etc) will pay it without issue. RPACs or UAs can submit the DA1380 to finance using a TL just like normal drill pay, it doesn't take any weird routing or approval.

No idea what CAARNG does for EBDL.

I can forward the memo from USARC if you want.

..as far as just plain normal 'retirement points', without pay, nothing has changed - you can still receive 90 unpaid retirement points annually. Separate policy guidance from USARC, which I probably still have access to. If you need it, I'll find it.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:55 PM

Hmm.. I was really contemplating joining the ANG or Navy reserves.. currently 11 yrs federal LEO. Not sure anymore...
Old 01-29-2020, 1:36 PM

If you have job protection under federal civil service rules then that helps quite a bit. You still might get passed over for key assignments, due to absences.
Old 01-29-2020, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLA View Post
currently 11 yrs federal LEO. Not sure anymore...
That's about the most perfect job for going Reserves.

You're 11 years in, probation period is long behind you, so you can come back after 6ish months of Basic and MOS school. Then you just hand them orders every time something comes up, and poof, they know better than anyone they have to let you go.

Civilian shift type careers lend themselves well to the Reserves. What if you were a sales manager. They just don't schedule another sales manager. But at least your shifts can just be taken on by another officer. But what if you were a station LT/Capt, or department chief? Which begs, why would they promote you? They are probably smart enough not to call out the reserves and just point to the other candidate's strengths why you were not selected.

Would it be great if 2 weeks a year 1 weekend a month actually meant that, and you'd have a 12 months heads up what your schedule is? Of course it would, but that's just not the case.

Nearly half of USAR units are in this special thing called RFX (Ready Force X). Now it's a fluff term, but it means your unit is slated for extra high speed training for what amounts to about half the entirety of your enlistment contract. AT durations are usually 21-29 days in reality with about three drill weekends eating into WEEKDAYS. So now you're over an entire month that eats into your civilian work schedule. If you are a SGT Major, Commander, or 1st SGT you are doubly screwed.

So I bet you the vast majority of vacancies Recruiters are looking at are for RFX slated units. Now, recruiters don't know outright if a unit is RFX unless they take the step to validate the status, but why would they.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLA View Post
Hmm.. I was really contemplating joining the ANG or Navy reserves.. currently 11 yrs federal LEO. Not sure anymore...
I wouldn't completely discard the idea. I'm a full time LEO and my department is very pro military and supportive so that's been very helpful for me. There are pros to guard/reserve, I've certainly had many unique opportunities and got to do some cool stuff. All things considered I'm proud of my service and am glad I enlisted. Just know it's not rainbows and butterflies some recruiters will try and make it seem. The cogs of bureaucracy tend to eat up and discard Soldiers and the Guard/Reserve seem to be the redheaded stepchild of the Department of defense.
Old 01-31-2020, 9:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riserdive View Post
Snoopy, IrishJoe,

The FY20 EBDL for USAR is payable up to 12 ATAs annually, for courses listed in the policy guidance. To process pay, a SM submits a DA1380, DA4856 (from company commander, giving direction to complete the course), and proof of completion (certificate, etc). For you guys in USAR, the 63rd RSC (and 81st, 88th, etc) will pay it without issue. RPACs or UAs can submit the DA1380 to finance using a TL just like normal drill pay, it doesn't take any weird routing or approval.

No idea what CAARNG does for EBDL.

I can forward the memo from USARC if you want.

..as far as just plain normal 'retirement points', without pay, nothing has changed - you can still receive 90 unpaid retirement points annually. Separate policy guidance from USARC, which I probably still have access to. If you need it, I'll find it.
RiserDive,

Could you send me those items as well? I just completed a PME course and need to get paid for it.

Quote:
Old 01-31-2020, 6:19 PM
Veteran Member

My personal policy is if my guys complete PME courses at home, they get at least one RMA, more depending on the course, generally two or three max.

Now, for other online courses, I have no issues approving them to come in to the armory and do the classes and get paid RMAs. Last year I used all my allotted RMAs to do my unitís longevity awards and JKO battle staff courses.
Old 01-31-2020, 8:55 PM

I would love to join the CA National Guard. But I'm too old. I'm in the California State Guard now. I'm in great physical shape though.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rero360 View Post
My personal policy is if my guys complete PME courses at home, they get at least one RMA, more depending on the course, generally two or three max.

Now, for other online courses, I have no issues approving them to come in to the armory and do the classes and get paid RMAs. Last year I used all my allotted RMAs to do my unitís longevity awards and JKO battle staff courses.
Problem is that PME courses are not usually that short. ILE is stated at better than 125 hours (IIRC, it's 136 but I forget).

The rule used to be that you divide the course hours by 3 and that was the number of retirement points you got. In this case about 45 points. Then you'd be paid accordingly. Not so anymore...the cheap buzzards. I don't get the retirement points...I just get paid some random amount based on 90 hours completion (90 is the max...I can't get the full amount. Cheap buzzards). 45 points x $260 per point is just short of $12,000. This would be in line with the resident 10 month ILE course.

3 x RMA would not cut it, unfortunately.

Quote:
Old 02-01-2020, 9:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by all-cal View Post
I would love to join the CA National Guard. But I'm too old. I'm in the California State Guard now. I'm in great physical shape though.
You say that now...........

But folks really need to background check their potential unit. Fortunately that CAN be done before signing an NG or USAR contract.

Every time I see those Go Army Now adverts in my Facebook feed I'm sooooo tempted to go off (not a good idea with my name tied to the comment) when they mention how you can manage your time with work and school.

Oh really????????
Old 02-01-2020, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Supersapper:

I agree, I recently did 45 hours at home to knock out SEJPME so I could submit my CSM packet and they wouldnít pay me any RMAs because itís Not DLC, per my Ops SGM, the policy limiting RMAs comes from higher than me, Iíve been pushing to increase it and actually get the AGRs to process the pay. Iíve never been paid for stuff I did at home, trying to get that changed for my guys though.

Iím starting the online USASMA in August and I know that Iím not going to get paid the amount that I should for doing the work. I should just tell my new Readiness NCO to just pay me all 18 RMAs and 18 RMPs for August and September and then all of next fiscal yearís RMAs and RMPs that should be a decent cover for phase one. Of course Iíll get pushback saying that they canít pay me until I hand them a 1059, hopefully I canít convince them otherwise.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Supersapper:

I agree, I recently did 45 hours at home to knock out SEJPME so I could submit my CSM packet and they wouldn’t pay me any RMAs because it’s Not DLC, per my Ops SGM, the policy limiting RMAs comes from higher than me, I’ve been pushing to increase it and actually get the AGRs to process the pay. I’ve never been paid for stuff I did at home, trying to get that changed for my guys though.

I’m starting the online USASMA in August and I know that I’m not going to get paid the amount that I should for doing the work. I should just tell my new Readiness NCO to just pay me all 18 RMAs and 18 RMPs for August and September and then all of next fiscal year’s RMAs and RMPs that should be a decent cover for phase one. Of course I’ll get pushback saying that they can’t pay me until I hand them a 1059, hopefully I can’t convince them otherwise.
CSM,

I'm def on your side. Only issue will be that it bankrupts the RMA/RMP account, so they have to go and do a dance, a complicated one BTW, to get the coffers re-filled so they have the money for missions. The other complication is that since it is a PME school, you may not get the RMA/RMP since there is apparently budgets for schooling. I'm researching that now so i can at least get something for the time and I know they do pay for it. I'll try to keep you updated. It will be more than the RMA/RMPs that you'll get though. Going the full time course at least gets you paid for the time you're working on it. This online stuff really gets to me. I took 6 weeks off to complete Phase 2 ILE and did it in record time, but I am a per diem employee.

We'll see if I can get paid for this little stint of Phase 2 or if they find a way to shaft me there.

What really frosts me about this DDE learning is that for ILE, if you get the 10 month ILE/AOC course, you get a Masters. At least I'm researching that claim now, anyway. If true, then we onliners don't get the same treatment, since if I complete ILE and AOC online, I get bupkus.

Welcome to the Army, they said.

Quote:

Last edited by Supersapper; 02-02-2020 at 10:07 PM..
Old 02-03-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersapper View Post
What really frosts me about this DDE learning is that for ILE, if you get the 10 month ILE/AOC course, you get a Masters. At least I'm researching that claim now, anyway. If true, then we onliners don't get the same treatment, since if I complete ILE and AOC online, I get bupkus.

Welcome to the Army, they said.

http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/l...ion/p4013coll2

The Master of Military Art and Science (MMAS) program began in 1964 at the US Army Command and General Staff College (CGSC). CGSC regular course students may elect to take a set of electives, write a thesis, and earn an accredited Masters. This collection contains all the publicly releasable monographs produced since the program began in 1964. MMAS theses provide in-depth research on historical events, operational issues, and organizations, both existing and proposed.

https://www.armyupress.army.mil/Jour...at-a-Distance/

****Not only can students enroll in skill identifier-producing programs, they can also pursue a Master of Military Art and Science (MMAS) degree as part of the electives program****

It's probably already nothing you don't already know.

What I am NOT finding is the exact course syllabus that spells out the path to the Master's Degree. They say it can be done, but how?
Old 02-03-2020, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Supersapper:

Not a CSM yet, infantry line company 1SG. I honestly donít care what pot of money it comes from, I just want to ensure my soldiers and I who take the initiative to knock out these online classes get paid for our efforts, and sadly thereís damn few of us. Only one of my PSGs is actually an E7, and only two of my E6s are promotable with one being my AGR supply Sergeant. Now that I think of it, I am getting a new Readiness NCO and I think heís an E7, but even still, we donít have enough E6s or E5s either.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
we donít have enough E6s or E5s either.
Same here.

Statistically, there are more vacancies for E5/E6 than there are for E1-E4.

I have (I guess had) billets for E4 stacked four deep. My company had 180 on the books against a required staffing of 130. Enlisted vacancies only at SSG/SFC.

The officer corps also has 200% of the LT's they need, but only 85% of the CPT's they need.

It takes about 6 years to get to CPT and similar for a high speed SSG.

We all know what happens at 6 years, right?

IRR............ DUCES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-03-2020, 11:49 AM

Too late now! Finished 4 years Active duty in 1985 and Cal National Guard in 1993.

Now I'm 56 and NO National Guard wants me! LOL
Old 02-03-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Supersapper:
I recently did 45 hours at home to knock out SEJPME so I could submit my CSM packet and they wouldnít pay me any RMAs because itís Not DLC
SEJPME II is absolutely on the list of USARC EBDL approved courses.

I had it paid using EBDL funds in FY18; I also needed it for the senior enlisted academy. It was still on the EBDL list in FY19 and is there today in FY20.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:14 PM

For clarity, USARC is not the same as CAARNG with regard to ..well ..most everything. COMPO 2 and COMPO 3 do not always treat issues the same, so our terms might not be as interchangeable as we may think.

-It is very possible that what USARC approves for EBDL is not what CAARNG does.
-It sounds like CAARNG may use RMAs for different things than what is common in USARC.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:08 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I will offer a slightly different point of view on Reserve service. I walked in off the street, expressing an interest in going Military Police in the USAR. At MEPS I was told there were no slots of that MOS.

I picked another MOS quite randomly with no research because it came with a $5K bonus as a "highly deployable" MOS. This was pre 9/11 so I didn't really understand exactly what that entailed.

The 7 years I stayed in with 1 additional year in the IRR were overall a good experience. We did OCONUS annual training every year and I was only deployed once for a year. I expected middle east but ended up elsewhere in a non hostile fire zone type place.

These guys posting above me probably all have more time and experience in the .mil than me, but this is what the experience was like for me.
Old 02-05-2020, 2:31 PM

14 days annual training my asss, how about voluntold advon? 2 day drills a month my ***,
How about field drills that turn into 3-4 days a month?

Being transferred to another unit with being known? Bull****t.

But in the end it was great.