Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 12-28-2018, 7:12 PM

Default Started EDCing Trauma kit

I ordered myself some more medical gear.

This EDC Trauma kit is pretty overt as it fits OWB. But nonetheless i have decided to carry it.

I think the trick to EDCing stuff in your waistband is to wear a shirt between the product and the skin, and wear an overshirt if you need to conceal it.
Old 12-28-2018, 8:59 PM

http://darkangelmedical.com/every-da...dc-trauma-kit/
Old 12-28-2018, 9:00 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

The odds of EVER needing that are astronomical. Why not pair that with a fire extinguisher on the other side of you belt. (lol)
Old 12-28-2018, 9:06 PM

Default GTG

I have several of Dark Angel Medical kits. Can't be beat IMHO.

Last edited by Daze; 12-28-2018 at 9:12 PM..
Old 12-28-2018, 9:10 PM
Veteran Member

EDC knife
EDC flashlight
EDC multitool
EDC lifestraw
EDC trauma kit

There’s only one EDC item that should be EDC.....

A rape whistle
Old 12-28-2018, 9:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze View Post
I have several of Dark Angel Medical kits. Can't be beat IMHO.

Lol!
Old 12-28-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL.BAR View Post
The odds of EVER needing that are astronomical. Why not pair that with a fire extinguisher on the other side of you belt. (lol)
The odds of needing a gun are “astronomical”.

Yet i found myself needing a gun and not having one.

Almost paid with my life.

Why are you even on this site? Chinese troll?
Old 12-28-2018, 10:38 PM

“The chances of needing it are astronomical.”

I had a former coworker try to slash my wrist with a box cutter about two years ago. Is it really astronomical if i get threatened about once a year?
Old 12-28-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Lol!
What are you laughing about? The kit includes the gen 7 CATQ... the Army uses the gen 5...

I hate that there are children posting in an adult forum...

What kind of gun carrier doesnt carry any medical anything? Oh yeah, probably some gang members like the ones posting on Calguns facebook today. F**ken sureños.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You have the same exact...and very poor...logic as an Anti.

Hey speaking of fire extinguishers, the odds of your house burning down are astronomical. And yet I bet you still spend your hard earned money on smoke detectors, FIRE EXTINGUISHERS, and home owners insurance.

Fighter Pilot
Old 01-04-2019, 9:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I would argue a lot more likely to be used than you think. Maybe not for a gun shot, but have used mine on more than one occasion.
Old 01-04-2019, 9:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skalinas View Post
I ordered myself some more medical gear.

This EDC Trauma kit is pretty overt as it fits OWB. But nonetheless i have decided to carry it.

I think the trick to EDCing stuff in your waistband is to wear a shirt between the product and the skin, and wear an overshirt if you need to conceal it.
There are several ways to carry a tactical medical kit, and it may depend on scaling, what you have on you, vs what you can likely get to.

Ankle carry of the kit is very easy unless you wear shorts. A belly band can work as well if you don't mind having more than one to be able to launder them. Your cargo pocket if you wear those kind of pants will work for the basics. The kind of things your likely to need for your self can largely be carried in a vacuum sealed pouch the size of a sandwich baggie. Your range kit, car kit, office kit, etc can be much more extensive. Remember all these things have shelf lives. Also if you haven't trained with the products it's not going to come to you under stress, so your going to open some. Training of course is key. Periodically 5.11, Artemis Defense Institute and others have offer trauma medical training, one of the benefits of which is that you get hands on with the various compress packed items you are likely carrying.

Stay safe.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:43 AM
Banned

Dont need anything, unless your mles away from help let them bleed, they will be fine. Odds are way better of you getting sued by using devices on them. Most other states jump in, here in cali with biohazards walking around, call 911. High percentage here are thankless back stabbers
Old 01-05-2019, 12:25 PM

Default What if it's your wife or child, still let them bleed?

This seems like a silly debate to me, but perhaps I am applying my own personal experiences and logic to a argument of emotion.

I am 45 years old, not high speed, but have done a few exciting things throughout my life, hobbies and careers. While I can sort of understand the "chances are I will never get shot," argument, do you think that's the only thing in life you could use such a kit for. Car accidents have seen the largest use by my kits ( happily not my own,) but there has also been, biking & skating accidents, a few climbing ones, a Christmas broken wine glass just off the top of my head.
I'm not saying I always have a kit on me, but I do keep them in a few places that I have needed them like a car, hiking pack, tactical kit. Almost as important as having some basic medical skills to apply it with.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebia View Post
Dont need anything, unless your mles away from help let them bleed, they will be fine. Odds are way better of you getting sued by using devices on them. Most other states jump in, here in cali with biohazards walking around, call 911. High percentage here are thankless back stabbers
Couldn't disagree more. An arterial bleed from a gunshot wound (if you carry) or a traffic accident (pretty common) will be game over in a mere matter of minutes. Certainly in the time it may take for paramedics to roll up.

Are the odds high? Probably not. But they're not zero either. And you carry a gun (presumably) for pretty small odds. So why not a TQ too? The life you save may be your own. Or what about your family's if you're in a traffic accident?

Fighter Pilot
Old 01-06-2019, 7:12 PM

Must-have: Tourniquet, compression bandage, trauma shears, instruction on how to use them, and CPR training.
Nice-to-have: Quik Clot.

Everyone should have that in their car and range bag if not EDC.

Anyone who argues that doesn't know what they don't know.

• Complete set of reloading equipment plus dies for 338 LM
• Desert Tactical Arms SRS rifles - Gen 1 and Gen 2
Old 01-06-2019, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebia View Post
Your assuming you don't get shot in an encounter.
Old 01-07-2019, 7:59 PM

A lot of dudes who are SME's don't even carry a TQ on them for EDC. There comes a point where you end up carrying a **** ton of gear since you're trying to be super prepared for every possible scenario. At the end of the day, carry what you feel comfortable with. Don't let people on a forum tell you you're an unprepared idiot if you don't carry a TQ, spare mag, etc.

Tony Cowden touches on this subject in one of his IG videos:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BobgtUeH-xQ/
Old 01-07-2019, 11:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooYah View Post

Who is Tony Cowden?

Fighter Pilot
Old 01-07-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
Who is Tony Cowden?
20+ year SOF (Army SF and CIA Ground Branch) veteran and competitive shooter.

http://www.capableincorporated.com/tony-cowden/
Old 01-08-2019, 4:58 PM

Quote:
A lot of dudes who are SME's don't even carry a TQ on them for EDC. There comes a point where you end up carrying a **** ton of gear since you're trying to be super prepared for every possible scenario. At the end of the day, carry what you feel comfortable with. Don't let people on a forum tell you you're an unprepared idiot if you don't carry a TQ, spare mag, etc.

And a lot of other dudes who are SME/18D's absolutely recommend a TQ for EDC. No, you are not an unprepared idiot if you don't carry one (but at least have one one your truck and range bag) but you will be prepared regardless. Let's play the logic out: You don't need a bandaid to save someone, you don't need a chest seal (because you won't be waiting for medical that long) but if you or someone you assist needs a TQ, they will probably die if you don't have one.

Look at the casualty numbers for Vietnam vs. GWOT -- on of the primary causal factors for the disparity was TQ's. A small tool that has a big impact.

I'm mostly a truck and range bag carrier, but I consider someone who EDC's a TQ to be more prepared than me. Whether that extra bit of preparedness is worth it is a personal call.

• Complete set of reloading equipment plus dies for 338 LM
• Desert Tactical Arms SRS rifles - Gen 1 and Gen 2
Old 01-09-2019, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpfenhammer View Post
Must-have: Tourniquet, compression bandage, trauma shears, instruction on how to use them, and CPR training.
Nice-to-have: Quik Clot.

Everyone should have that in their car and range bag if not EDC.

Anyone who argues that doesn't know what they don't know.
THIS!

I would only add gloves and a face shield for CPR
Old 01-09-2019, 5:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Remember your not carrying the TQ for someone else your carrying it for yourself. That is why you train to apply it to yourself. Clothing dictates how hard or easy it is to carry.

Realistically however we need to be honest most CCW's don't carry a spare mag, so are unlikely to carry even a band aid. If the guy wants to be prepared it's well worth helping him do it.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skalinas View Post
Holy crap! $95 for about $6 worth of supplies and a Ricky Rescue bag? F that waste of money.

Last edited by SomeGuy75; 01-09-2019 at 10:34 PM..
Old 01-10-2019, 12:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuy75 View Post
Holy crap! $95 for about $6 worth of supplies and a Ricky Rescue bag? F that waste of money.
Um...a package of Quick Clot is about $42. And a pair of chest seals is about $15. Compression bandage is about $6. So that's about $65 worth of contents, not counting the bag. But detachable first aid bags aren't cheap either. They're selling that one as a stand alone for $45.

So you couldn't build that exact kit for $95 if you wanted that specific bag.

Fighter Pilot
Old 01-14-2019, 9:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
It is over priced, but the Hyfin chest seals are between $15 and $25 for the alternate brands. That and the multi fabric made in the USA pouch are what is driving the cost. It works I have been told, but I am not a fan of the soft T TQ but it is the easiest to carry.

Last edited by grantar2; 01-14-2019 at 9:48 PM..
Old 01-14-2019, 9:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
Um...a package of Quick Clot is about $42. And a pair of chest seals is about $15. Compression bandage is about $6. So that's about $65 worth of contents, not counting the bag. But detachable first aid bags aren't cheap either. They're selling that one as a stand alone for $45.

So you couldn't build that exact kit for $95 if you wanted that specific bag.
I am not sure how much clotting agent you want but the there is a kit that comes with Adventure Medical Kits Trauma Pak with Advanced Clotting Sponge to Stop Bleeding Fast – Zeolite Hemostatic Dressing, Trauma Kit, Bleeding Control Kits, IFAK, Tactical Medical Kit, First Aid Kit
by Adventure Medical Kits $18.99, add an Israeli Bandage Battle Dressing First Aid Compression Bandage, 6 Inch $9.37
North American Rescue Hyfin Vent Chest Seal, 2 Count $17.00
The carry bag if you want one is about $10
Add sheers and a CAT TQ for another $20.
Since I carry a knife as part of my EDC my pocket medical skips the gloves (I am going to tear those getting them on most times) has the rest of the above items sealed in a small pack using my vacuum sealer.

Kit's are relative to how you carry them. My car kits, my golf bag, bailout bag, and range bag kits are very different from my pocket carry kit.

The other thing to remember is that much of this stuff expires after a couple of years, so this is a repetitive expense. However it is cool to show up at a training session with material to donate for practice.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-14-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantar2 View Post
I am not sure how much clotting agent you want but the there is a kit that comes with Adventure Medical Kits Trauma Pak with Advanced Clotting Sponge to Stop Bleeding Fast – Zeolite Hemostatic Dressing, Trauma Kit, Bleeding Control Kits, IFAK, Tactical Medical Kit, First Aid Kit
by Adventure Medical Kits $18.99, add an Israeli Bandage Battle Dressing First Aid Compression Bandage, 6 Inch $9.37
North American Rescue Hyfin Vent Chest Seal, 2 Count $17.00
The carry bag if you want one is about $10
Add sheers and a CAT TQ for another $20.
Since I carry a knife as part of my EDC my pocket medical skips the gloves (I am going to tear those getting them on most times) has the rest of the above items sealed in a small pack using my vacuum sealer.

Kit's are relative to how you carry them. My car kits, my golf bag, bailout bag, and range bag kits are very different from my pocket carry kit.

The other thing to remember is that much of this stuff expires after a couple of years, so this is a repetitive expense. However it is cool to show up at a training session with material to donate for practice.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Wow, guess I didn’t realize how expensive some of this stuff is. I work in a level 2 trauma center. I guess I just “find” stuff laying around that somehow makes it into my trauma/first aid bag in the truck

Last edited by SomeGuy75; 01-14-2019 at 10:04 PM..
Old 01-16-2019, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Wow, guess I didn’t realize how expensive some of this stuff is. I work in a level 2 trauma center. I guess I just “find” stuff laying around that somehow makes it into my trauma/first aid bag in the truck
Your just extending your reach to help the public and that is a good thing, however yeah it gets expensive, but worse yet, like Pepper Spray, and carry ammo it's treated with such regard that it's never used in practice, and it's allowed to age until your not sure it will work.

I maintain 9 kits, 4 vehicle, 2 range bags, 1 home, 1 Shop bag (for gun shows) 1 EDC, each has a different level of complexity but that is a lot to buy retail depending on a persons income. For me it's a business requirement, working in the firearms industry I am around a range of skills, experience with the weapon they are using and temperaments.

My thought is if the guy who started this thread want to carry a tacmed kit, we should encourage him, it can't hurt.
Old 02-18-2019, 8:30 PM
Veteran Member

I think it's essential for most to make the time, take the 2-3 weeks, and get your EMT at least - that's just me. It took me longer than I wanted to get it done. Add to that GSW specific training.

Have a full bag in the trunk including 02/BVM, suction, the full treatment for circulation / breathing, CPR and AED. And I have a small trunk.

Yup, I do have a handy dandy IFAK/GSW kit with TQ's, chest seals and quicklot.

Carry it on my body? Hmmm...not so much...but in my bag? Sure.
Old 06-24-2019, 5:10 PM

I carry trauma kit, tq, ventilated chest seal, and trailuma bandages, tapes, scissors, hemostats, and routine minor scratches and cuts. Along with insect bite solution, Advil etc. Use the minor stuff mostly on numerous occasions. But you never know. Pray you don't need it, thank God you have if needed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2019, 5:46 PM
Veteran Member

A lot of dumb and completely unnecessary comments in this thread... welcome to CalGuns!

OP Dark Angel sells really nice kits congrats on deciding to carry a quality IFAK.

I have a similar small IFAK I carry in my car glove box, I would recommend adding a mini roll of Duct Tape it should easily fit in the Dark Angel pouch.

Also nice to have Trauma Shears and a Hemostat.

But everyone has their own preferences pack what you know how to use and feel comfortable with.

Oh and throw a few of the two largest size Band-Aids in there they take up next to ZERO weight and space!
“This decision is a freedom calculus decided long ago by Colonists who cherished individual freedom more than the subservient security of a British ruler. The freedom they fought for was not free of cost then, and it is not free now.”

Hon. Roger T. Benitez
United States District Judge
March 29, 2019

Last edited by ENTHUSIAST; 06-24-2019 at 6:00 PM..
Old 06-27-2019, 9:31 PM

I definitely 2nd Dark Angel Medical for trauma kits, I've used mine twice now at auto accidents and they have replaced the entire kit free of charge. The initial cost may be a bit higher but the fact that you don't need to worry about paying for a replacement if you use the kit is pretty awesome.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:11 PM

Wife and I are nurses, so each car has a kit and I always tuck a few other things in there like others have mentioned.