Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 04-14-2019, 2:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Marlin 1894 .41 Magnum from pistol grip stock to straight stock conversion.

Sometime ago someone here asked about Marlin 1894 pistol grip stock to straight stock conversion. I have done it on my Marlin 1894PG .41 Magnum some time ago and just now remembered that I meant to post result of it.

If you plan to do PG to SG, or SG to PG stock conversion, you will need trigger guard plate, finger lever and butt stock. Depending on whether or not you want to reuse some of the small parts, you may also need finger lever plunger, pin, spring and finger lever screw, tang screw, hammer screw, trigger guard plate screw and support screw. I also used it as an opportunity to swap the factory springs for Wolff springs.
I kept my PG finger lever intact and assembled SG finger lever from parts. My SG stock came from new .45-70 1895 Marlin, so color is lighter then my forend and recoil pad is different then what normally come on 1894, but I got really good deal off eBay and I am fine with it.
The conversion does not alter anything on the rifle and it can be easily reversed, as long as you keep the parts. Also, I am not selling any of the parts, so don't ask.
I found all the parts on eBay, Midway, Midwest Gun Works and Brownells. Brownells has interactive schematic that also shows Marlin factory part numbers.
Some parts are unique to the model, some, like the butt stock, interchange between models. All in all, it is an easy conversion and with luck, parts will match.

Old 04-15-2019, 8:25 AM
Veteran Member

I’m not really biased toward the PG or straight style, but I am super jealous you have a .41 levergun!
Old 04-15-2019, 8:47 AM

Thank you for posting this! I have been wanting to convert my straight stock 1894 in .45 Colt to a pistol grip checkered stock ever since I bought it new 10 years ago.

This is a good road map, thanks again!

Dan
Old 04-15-2019, 11:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergmen View Post
Thank you for posting this! I have been wanting to convert my straight stock 1894 in .45 Colt to a pistol grip checkered stock ever since I bought it new 10 years ago.

This is a good road map, thanks again!

Dan
Happy to be of help.
Old 04-15-2019, 4:53 PM
Veteran Member

I bought a 1894 in 44 Mag when they first came out it came SG, my other two PG one in 30-30 and one in 45-70;PG just seemed right for them but my old 1894 SG is right.

Last edited by Tom-ADC; 04-16-2019 at 7:49 AM..
Old 04-15-2019, 8:17 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

At one time I thought I wanted to do this to my FG before I bought one... and then I held it.

And, at first venturing into the ree-vol-ver lee-ver car-been realm I thought only straight stocks looked right... then because of the pending acquisition of the FG I looked into how far back the "palm swell" stocks went. They go as far back as the straight stocks... so I was satisfied... and, and then I mounted it. Love my .41!

That said! I think you've performed a first-class conversion, there, sir! and I'm equally impressed that you found wood so similarly-figured. Well done.

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked
Old 04-16-2019, 6:13 AM
Probationary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadcoyote View Post
I’m not really biased toward the PG or straight style, but I am super jealous you have a .41 levergun!

^^^ This, for sure!
Old 04-16-2019, 7:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadcoyote View Post
Me, too! I have 3 .41 handguns.