Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2019, 1:04 AM

Default Shooting around Truckee during snowy times, like now

Hi Norcal Folks!

I'm heading to North Lake Tahoe in a couple weeks and trying to figure out if it is worth it or feasible to shoot outdoors this time of year in the vicinity of Truckee. Frankly I've never shot in snow before so besides glare and unsure footing I haven't a clue about it. I searched about this and found a few threads about locations but none that I found really dealt with the question of snowy conditions.

I'm curious if the spots I read about like Bocca Reservoir and a couple others I can't name are even open, and if it is safe to shoot this time of year. Besides the question of footing, how does one know where the "berm" or natural backstop is as opposed to a snowdrift or snow-cap?

Secondarily how does one pick up formerly hot brass that has melted through snow? Or do you just worry about that when the snow is gone?

If it is too questionable to expend the effort to lug all my gear up I can just make the drive to Reno and rent some guns there.

So anyone that is familiar or has been shooting there recently I would appreciate any info or recommendations.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-14-2019, 7:50 PM

I'd give the Truckee Ranger District a call about the Boca Range. Not sure you can get the key if it's too muddy. (530) 587-3558

I've been up to Truckee 2 times in the last 2 months and found about 6 feet of snow the first time but that amount on the ground the second time was cut in half due to all the rain they had also.

It might be possible to get in Hobart Mills to put a few down range. I've been there in winter but not after this much snow.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:37 PM

Thank you for the info! Looks like were gonna shoot at a square range in Reno.
Having to buy their expensive ammo for their rental guns is annoying.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:38 PM

How about that public range about 20+ miles north of Reno on the way to Pyramid Lake?
Old 04-24-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
How about that public range about 20+ miles north of Reno on the way to Pyramid Lake?

That would be my choice Washoe county range will be in the 70s and noyt a trace of snow. Bring your own guns be sure not to forget your long range rifles they have steel targets just over 900 yards away. They are open Thur to Monday.

Don't bother with Carson city range last I heard they are only open one day a week.