Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 11-11-2018, 4:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fguffey View Post

Is there anyone on this forums that understands why it is impossible to move the shoulder back on a case when sizing?
But it is possible to move the location of the shoulder on a case.
Old 11-12-2018, 9:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-cat View Post
But it is possible to move the location of the shoulder on a case.
It is even possible for us to move the location of the case shoulder datum three one-thousandths of an inch further back on the case (when measured from the case head) than it was located after the case was fired in and ejected from our rifle, but before being lubricated then inserted and removed from our sizing die by actuating the handle on our reloading press.

It's actually possible to use even more words than this to describe what's happening when we resize a case, but generally being clear and concise is more valuable than being boring, long-winded and precise. There's a reason people read about scientific breakthroughs in a 3 paragraph Yahoo News article instead of reading the scientific journals which originally published the work. "Bumping the shoulder" is sufficiently accurate for our purposes.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy8500 View Post
Oh no, someone just conjured the fguffey....

He has come!!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriller134 View Post
He has come!!!!!!!
I thought you had to say is name 3 times ?

Bweise says "I have to say the situation was not at all helped by 22 yr old former Airsoft douches who kept touting here, "But possession is not illegal!" "

Those that live in glass houses should not throw stones , cause I got a sling shot

Fighting on the internet is like being in the special Olympics , everybody wins but your still retarded.
Old 11-12-2018, 1:25 PM

Quote:
It's actually possible to use even more words than this to describe what's happening when we resize a case

Quote:
actually possible ?
Actually?

If a reloader could move the shoulder back and he was a member on this forum or another forum he would have raised his hand by now hollering "OH! OH! OH! Pick ne, pick me! I am the only reloaders that says it is impossible; no ***** footing, no tap dancing around, it is just plain and simple "It can not be done".

I am thinking we should start a new category of reloaders; we could call them 'BUMPERS", they have no clue as to what happens to the case when it is sized so they start with, "I BUMP etc.". I keep asking them, "HOW?" 'how is it possible to bump the shoulder back?'

Finding bumper reloaders in a crowd is easy; they have droopy shoulders and a receding hair line. I ask them a question and they answer by shrugging their shoulders, I explain the answer and the do a hand slap to their head. It does not have to be that way.

The reason why it is impossible to move the shoulder back on a case when sizing is in the die. The die makes it impossible because the full length sizing die has case body support.

I have special dies that do not have case body support, dies that do not have case body support are dangerous in the hands of a bumper. The reason is simple; to use a die that does not have case body support the reloader must know what he is doing. No amount of 'talking about it' will make one of those dies shape up and fly correctly.

F. Guffey
Old 11-12-2018, 1:32 PM

Forgive me for the 5 asterisk word between no and footing.

F. Guffey
Old 11-12-2018, 1:51 PM
Calguns Addict

So how do you size a case when the shoulder length is too long to fit the chamber? Send the rifle back?
Old 11-12-2018, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-cat View Post
So how do you size a case when the shoulder length is too long to fit the chamber? Send the rifle back?
Now we're getting somewhere.

Mr. Guffy, what do YOU call the SQUISHING of the shoulder DATUM down in a die with full body support, to fit a rifle's chamber when it is necessary to do so?

According to you , we all have our heads up our @$$es.
Old 11-13-2018, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfire25 View Post
So I have a batch of 15 cases that won't size down enough to go into the rifle without resistance. The shell holder is touching the die. What would cause this? I have fired none resized brass that measures 1.626. And this problem brass after resizing measures 1.630. Its only been shot twice and I only used 41 grains of Varget.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I have similar issues with some .223 cases like that. Even that I use small base sizing die, and resize all the way down, that particular case just won't load in AR. The case is just too thick and larger than normal. However, that case works fine in bolt action.