Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Old 10-25-2019, 7:16 PM
CGN Contributor

Default New shooter

Ok, I’m not really a new shooter, but I AM new to the target game. I’ve spent most of my “shooting career” focused on speed and combat accuracy between 3-300 yards. Spent some time 600+, but not enough to become any kind of skilled marksman at that distance.

Lately I’ve had the itch to join a legitimate competition or club to further improve my skills beyond simple combat accuracy and speed. I have back issues that don’t seem to be getting any better (I’m not even 30), so I’ve decided to hone my “long distance” shooting as opposed to a 3 gun comp or IPSC.

Where do I start? I’m not a total idiot, but I could use a point in the right direction. I know how to use moa and mils, the basics of judging wind, etc.
Old 10-25-2019, 8:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You are an hour and 15 minutes from the Coalinga Range where they shoot a ton of long range matches. I would say go to the Coalinga gun club page https://www.coalingarifleclub.com/ and look up when their matches are scheduled and go out and meet the people and see the equipment and procedures for the different type of shooting going on.

Maybe one of the local Coalinga shooters here on the forum can help you out.

You're about three hours drive from the Cuyama range https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Made...34.8980911!3e0

We shoot long range on the third weekend of every month, 600 yards on Saturday and either a 1,000 yard or a Palma (800, 900 & 1,000 yard) match on Sunday.

I post instructions and invitations on this forum every month that I shoot the match.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

Last edited by Fjold; 10-25-2019 at 8:12 PM..
Old 10-25-2019, 8:10 PM
Veteran Member

Not far from your location is the Coalinga Rifle Club.Monthly matches are held on the 3rd weekend of every month.
www.coalingarifleclub.com
Old 10-28-2019, 6:25 AM

Also need to define long distance for yourself. 800 yards enough, 1000, 1760?

Along with that, you have yourself a rifle capable of such distances yet? And associated gear? The long range game is a lot of fun, but along with that it can get pricey (again though, dependent on what you are looking to do/get out of it).