Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 01-11-2021, 2:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Automatic Knives and Shipping

So I was all set to submit my order on BladeHQ for my son's birthday gift. He lives in CO and in 2017 the State repealed a 1963 law prohibiting automatic knives so I thought it'd be a neat gift to order a switchblade for him.
Then this popped up:
Automatic Knife Laws & Assisted Knife Laws. The Switchblade Act, (Pub.L. 85-623, 72 Stat. 562, enacted on August 12, 1958, and codified in 15 U.S.C. ยง 1241–1245), as may be amended, (the “Act”) prohibits shipment of automatic knives across state lines, with the following exceptions:

(a) to civilian or Armed Forces supply or procurement officers and employees of the Federal Government ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of the Federal Government;

(b) to supply or procurement officers of the National Guard, the Air National guard, or militia of a state, territory or the District of Columbia ordering, procuring, or purchasing such knives in the connection with the activities of such organization;

(c) to supply or procurement officers or employees of the municipal government of the District of Columbia or the government of any State or Territory, or any county, city or other political subdivision of a State or Territory;

(d) to manufacturers of such knives or bona fide dealers therein in connection with any shipment made pursuant of an order from any person designated in paragraphs (a), (b), and (c).

So as I read this he could purchase locally but I could not ship him one as a gift as it'll cross state lines
Are there any online distributors or mfgrs in CO that would ship? Looks like to purchase from Spyderco you have to be military or LEO

Last edited by DGoodale; 01-11-2021 at 2:19 PM..
Old 01-16-2021, 9:31 AM
Calguns Addict

They'll send it UPS or FEDEX. Not USPS.
Old 01-16-2021, 9:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post
They'll send it UPS or FEDEX. Not USPS.
Doesn't matter "shipment" covers all those not just USPS. These are also federal laws so distributors have to follow those rather than state laws.

Best to send him the $ and let him find one local.

(c) is pretty broad and covers anyone working in the public sector. So if he's feeding out of the public trough he can order online.

When you order an auto from BladeHQ it will take you to the form and you'll have to check how you are permitted to purchase. They had no problem shipping direct to CA.
Old 05-30-2021, 7:40 AM

Try Amazon, eBay and dealer direct. I had difficulty finding a company that would send me a California legal 2 inch blade Kershaw auto. But I eventually did find one.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCCW View Post
Try Amazon, eBay and dealer direct. I had difficulty finding a company that would send me a California legal 2 inch blade Kershaw auto. But I eventually did find one.
I had the same issue with the exact same knife. I had to buy it at a store, nobody would ship it to me.

NRA Benefactor
CRPA Life Member
GOA Member
Old 08-11-2021, 7:54 AM
Veteran Member

I got my Kershaw auto @ Knifecenter. Fast Shipping.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:16 PM
CGSSA Leader

I just picked up a ProTech Sprint 2” automatic, sweet knife.
Old 10-25-2021, 4:16 PM

The owner of Spyderco knives was prosecuted under that Federal statute several years ago for shipping the Spyderfly butterfly knife across state lines.