Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 05-10-2023, 10:05 AM

Default Problem with LSWC

Hey so I started loading LSWC as they are cheaper but I am having problems with them not fiting into case gauge or if they do the accuracy is poor I have experienced this in both 45 acp and 357 can anyone give me some tips on what I might be doing wrong. I am expanding them a bit more to fit the projectile and I am crimping using a Lee die.
Old 05-10-2023, 10:55 AM

I don't use a separate crimp die on my LSWC rounds. Just set the bullet setting die to set the round & remove the bell.

Confirmed Domestic Terrorist & NRA Member

tiocfaidh ár lá
Bobby Sands
Old 05-10-2023, 12:09 PM

few things measure the size they should be about .001 over bore size 45 acp mine are .452, 357 I load at .357 Then do not use lee factory crimp die it will in some cases (when brass is thick) size bullet and case down so far bullet can be loose in case use a regular tapper crimp for 45 and regular roll crimp for 357. Over crimping can bulge case and no fit in chamber then so go less crimp also OAL can be too long too.

Last edited by bruce381; 05-10-2023 at 12:11 PM..
Old 05-10-2023, 1:46 PM

What he said^^^^^^

Don't worry about the case gauge. Us the guns chamber to see if it fits.
It's called doing the "plunk" test. If they drop in and out just fine.
And are not pushed into the rifling .....they are good to go.

Take care
Abenaki

I'd rather be a Boomer, than generation crybaby!
Old 05-11-2023, 3:16 AM

Do you have any pictures of what your cartridges look like? I will second measuring the diameter of your projectiles. In the past year I?ve started loading for 45 acp however I?m casting and coating my own using a 200gr LSWC. The 1911 I?m loading for does not have a ramped barrel so In order for my rounds to chamber without any jams they need to have a COAL of 1.260. After loading them longer I haven?t ran into any issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2023, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsoso View Post
Hey so I started loading LSWC as they are cheaper but I am having problems with them not fiting into case gauge or if they do the accuracy is poor I have experienced this in both 45 acp and 357 can anyone give me some tips on what I might be doing wrong. I am expanding them a bit more to fit the projectile and I am crimping using a Lee die.
Expand just enough so you don't shave the bearing surface of the bullet while seating (may take some experimentation.)

Generally, you don't *need* a crimp, but you do need to close down the flare you used to seat the bullet. A crimp also won't hurt anything, but don't go overboard. Trying to put too heavy a crimp may bulge the case further down.

The biggest problem (IMO) is using a case gauge. You have the ultimate test handy: your gun. Check the reloads in your chamber. If they fit correctly (no drag, seat fully) you're good to go, despite what the gauge tells you.

If they do drag a bit (lead bullets tend to be a tad oversize and may bulge near the bullet base) a taper crimp die applied fairly lightly should take care of it.
Old 05-17-2023, 5:31 PM
Veteran Member

The LSWC for 45 ACP and 357 Magnum is vastly different.

The 45 ACP does a taper crimp and 357 Mag takes a roll crimp.

A recent problem I had with 45 ACP 200 LSWC was a feeding issue and it turned out one of my RN Magazines was in with the SWC magazines.
Old 05-18-2023, 7:46 AM

Che; Never heard of bullet-specific 45ACP magazines. I use the same mags for everything.

OP: Are you applying a fairly heavy crimp to your reloads? If you are using a taper crimp die and overcrimp the cartridges, it is possible to swage the bullet down to below groove diameter, and accuracy may suffer.
Old 05-18-2023, 8:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I would advise .358 size for the .357/.38 special lead stuff. Also (as above) .452 for .45 acp.
What loads are you using? OAL, powder, powder weight? Which bullet/mold number?
As for accuracy, have you had good accuracy on the same arms with factory loads?
Which arms? Make and model?
Pictures of the loads?

It's a muzzle BRAKE, not a muzzle break. Or is your muzzle tired?
Old 05-19-2023, 4:33 AM
Veteran Member

Lead bullets should be at least .001" over bore size. So, for a 45 acp, it should be at least .451". Though I've got a Springfield made barrel that needs a .454" bullet.. 357 Magnum should have one that is at least .358". The bullet should just barely fit into the forcing cone of the cylinder.
Also, if the bullet is slightly undersized, and the velocity/pressure is low enough, the base might not upset enough to fill and seal the bore. That can cause accuracy and leading issues.
If you are crimping too much, that will squeeze the bullet down to much, and cause issues. You don't need a case gauge. Just do a plunk test with some of your loaded rounds to see if they will chamber.
Slug your bores to see what your bore size really is. It's very easy to do. Unless you have a Smith and Wesson. Smiths use a 5 land rifling system that is very difficult to measure and get a bore size.
Taper crimp for Semi autos, and roll crimp for revolvers. I've seen some reports that the Lee Factory Crimp Die can cause accuracy issues, but I have no personal experience with one, so I cannot say. Roll crimping does not need a separate step for crimping, though taper crimp for semis may need a separate step.

Last edited by Sailormilan2; 05-19-2023 at 4:45 AM..
Old 05-19-2023, 5:38 AM
Veteran Member

The only Lee FCD I use is for 30-30. I have/use three Lee Carbide FCD's in 357/38spl, .45acp and .45 Colt with zero issues. Adjusted properly[very easy to do], they work as advertised. No swagging of bullets if set-up properly.

MLC
Old 05-21-2023, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingin View Post
Che; Never heard of bullet-specific 45ACP magazines. I use the same mags for everything.
1911 45ACP magazines are normally available with three different types of feed lips. GI style, hybrid, or wadcutter. The wadcutter feed lips are shorter to allow an earlier release of the cartridge as the slide is pushing it forward. I have good luck using wadcutter magazines for all bullet styles and that is all I have.
Old 05-22-2023, 4:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alland View Post
1911 45ACP magazines are normally available with three different types of feed lips. GI style, hybrid, or wadcutter. The wadcutter feed lips are shorter to allow an earlier release of the cartridge as the slide is pushing it forward. I have good luck using wadcutter magazines for all bullet styles and that is all I have.
Correct.
Old 05-22-2023, 5:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alland View Post
The wadcutter feed lips are shorter to allow an earlier release of the cartridge as the slide is pushing it forward.
Or adjust the feed lips on GI style mags to release the wadcutter cartridges a little earlier.