Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 06-09-2021, 2:21 PM

Default LEOSA 50 state endorsement for retired CDCR

I’m not a LEO, but was recently talking to a friend who is a retired parole officer with CDCR. When he retired he was given his standard retirement identification with a CCW endorsement. They didn’t talk to him about the LEOSA qualification requirements. The only person I know that has the 50 state endorsement is a retired deputy sheriff and the SO handles his annual qualification. Anybody out there have any experience with CDCR and this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2021, 4:30 PM

CDCR makes retirees qualify annually
That’s it
Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2021, 4:36 PM

Hawaii doesn’t accept any off duty weapon or ccw from anywhere without approval from a police chief. I’ve heard the chiefs rarely if ever approve anyone too.
Old 06-10-2021, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkz81 View Post
Hawaii doesn’t accept any off duty weapon or ccw from anywhere without approval from a police chief. I’ve heard the chiefs rarely if ever approve anyone too.
If you'd bother to read LEOSA, you'd realize that the law does NOT factor in police chief's opinions.

READ the law!
Old 06-10-2021, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogrunner View Post
If you'd bother to read LEOSA, you'd realize that the law does NOT factor in police chief's opinions.

READ the law!
Good luck to you then. Hawaii doesn’t care about the law.

Last edited by bkz81; 06-10-2021 at 6:47 AM..
Old 06-10-2021, 9:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogrunner View Post

READ the law!
Quote:
Gents,

Hawaii is a waiting "Test-Bed" for the LEOSA. The current Hawaii statutes and practices do not appear to comply with the LEOSA, but so far there has been no test case to figure out who is the winner.

It's not a complete "Slam-Dunk" in favor of the LEOSA. The LEOSA provides a blanket exemption from state laws governing the "carrying" of a concealed firearm. It does not clearly provide a corresponding exemption from laws prohibiting the "possession" of a firearm, or from state laws requiring the "registration" of firearms.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

http://ag.hawaii.gov/cjd/law-enforcement-index-page/

Click on the above link. Hawaii's rules as related to LEOSA and active and retired cops.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 003 View Post
http://ag.hawaii.gov/cjd/law-enforcement-index-page/

Click on the above link. Hawaii's rules as related to LEOSA and active and retired cops.
What...

Quote:
It is important to note that 18 USC §926B does not supercede Hawaii’s firearms laws.
And
Quote:
II. If you are not on official duty with your governmental law enforcement agency and you are carrying a concealed firearm pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 926B, you are not considered a “law enforcement officer” in the State of Hawaii. The Hawaii Revised Statutes will be applied to you as if you were a “civilian” with no law enforcement powers.

Old 06-10-2021, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
What...

And
I lived in Hawaii for 12 years, still have family there and visit frequently.
Because of some issues with an ex-brother in law, I always bring my XD S.
The quote about being considered a "civilian" is true anywhere you go outside the state of California. I talked to a couple of friends that are HPD and they said that the department has no problem with officers/retired officers who carry. Where the rub comes in like RickD said is that LEOSA is vague~it leaves open too many things. In Hawaii a handgun magazine that holds more than 10 rounds is a felony if it's inserted in the gun. Also LEOSA says nothing about registration. I still have a couple guns from when I lived there that are technically "registered" to me so I can carry those. But my XD S was bought here, so I made an appt and made the trip down to HPD headquarters and registered it. You only have to do that once per gun, so I carry the same gun everytime I visit.
One thing to remember though, if you ever have to actually use your weapon, expect to be arrested no matter what the circumstances. This could impact your future right to carry depending on your department.
https://hawaiirifleassociation.org/hawaii-gun-laws/

Last edited by wazafuzz; 06-10-2021 at 1:30 PM.. Reason: add web page.
Old 06-10-2021, 1:52 PM

RickD points out something that is very important but rarely discussed regarding the limitations of LEOSA. The only document I have found that spells it out is a 2006 memorandum from the Department of Justice, Bureau of Federal Prisons to staff regarding LEOSA. An excerpt reads:

“Additionally, LEOSA exempts qualified current and retired law enforcement officers from State and local laws that prohibit “carrying” concealed firearms. LEOSA’s language does not include exemptions from State and local laws for any other firearms- related activities, for example, purchasing, registering, licensing, or the permissible use of firearms. It is, therefore, incumbent upon off-duty staff to be aware of the laws, ordinances, regulations, etc., within their jurisdiction that may impact any aspect of their ability to obtain, carry, or use a personal firearm under LEOSA.“
Old 06-10-2021, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazafuzz View Post
I lived in Hawaii for 12 years, still have family there and visit frequently.
Because of some issues with an ex-brother in law, I always bring my XD S.
The quote about being considered a "civilian" is true anywhere you go outside the state of California. I talked to a couple of friends that are HPD and they said that the department has no problem with officers/retired officers who carry. Where the rub comes in like RickD said is that LEOSA is vague~it leaves open too many things. In Hawaii a handgun magazine that holds more than 10 rounds is a felony if it's inserted in the gun. Also LEOSA says nothing about registration. I still have a couple guns from when I lived there that are technically "registered" to me so I can carry those. But my XD S was bought here, so I made an appt and made the trip down to HPD headquarters and registered it. You only have to do that once per gun, so I carry the same gun everytime I visit.
One thing to remember though, if you ever have to actually use your weapon, expect to be arrested no matter what the circumstances. This could impact your future right to carry depending on your department.
https://hawaiirifleassociation.org/hawaii-gun-laws/
One of the key things to remember here is that LEOSA defines who is a "Law Enforcement Officer" for the purposes of the LEOSA. Under the LEOSA's definition, and out-of-state LEO in Hawaii is still a "Law Enforcement Officer." But the state of Hawaii gets to define it's own terms for the purposes of its state law. But Hawaii doesn't get to define it for the purposes of LEOSA.

All of this is why Hawaii is ripe for a test case, but so far no one has volunteered to be the test defendant.
Old 06-10-2021, 3:20 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Those guidelines could be written better. I think what it's trying to say is LEOSA's "qualified LE" are not considered LE with respect to Hawaii's state codes. So if Hawaii LE can carry concealed in certain places but Joe Public can not, qualified LE from out of state can not carry concealed there either.

However part of the problem is Hawaii has a more limited definition of "qualified LE" than LEOSA, according to that guidance.
Old 06-10-2021, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Kraft View Post
Those guidelines could be written better. I think what it's trying to say is LEOSA's "qualified LE" are not considered LE with respect to Hawaii's state codes. So if Hawaii LE can carry concealed in certain places but Joe Public can not, qualified LE from out of state can not carry concealed there either.

However part of the problem is Hawaii has a more limited definition of "qualified LE" than LEOSA, according to that guidance.
That's not quite the Hawaii problem with LEOSA. The LEOSA clearly supercedes state laws with regard to carry. So if Hawaii law tried to forbid a "Qualified LEO or Retired LEO" from carrying, that officer would be exempt from that state law.

The LEOSA problem is that if Hawaii made a law that such an officer could not possess a firearm, then the LEOSA would not clearly exempt the officer from the law against possession.
Old 06-11-2021, 6:43 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD427 View Post
That's not quite the Hawaii problem with LEOSA. The LEOSA clearly supercedes state laws with regard to carry. So if Hawaii law tried to forbid a "Qualified LEO or Retired LEO" from carrying, that officer would be exempt from that state law.
I think it's part of the problem, much like how firearm owners whose flight gets diverted to New Jersey can be arrested for having a gun in New Jersey w/o a New Jersey license (state law) even though federal law says it's legal if you're a traveler passing through that state and ownership of that firearm is legal in the state you left and the one you're going to. Clearly federal law trumps state law but passengers still get arrested for this and while every case I know eventually gets the charges dropped, the poor victims still spend time in jail, have their schedules disrupted and firearms confiscated. Unfortunately the Supreme Court refused to hear a case regarding this so I expect NJ will continue this practice. (https://www.nj.com/news/2011/01/supr...ider_whet.html)

Non-employed LE (unpaid volunteer Reserves) for example can carry under LEOSA but don't meet Hawaii's definition of "qualified LE". While I'm sure any Reserve arrested for carrying concealed but otherwise meeting Hawaii's LEOSA requirements would ultimately be found innocent, like you said who wants to be the test case?
Old 06-11-2021, 8:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
And nobody cares about another crappy liberal state or there laws. I lived there for 6 years and I didn’t follow Hawaii state laws in regards to any firearms and I can say that publicly because my free state ARs and high cap mags stayed on base during my tour there with the CO and district Admirals authority. HPD and Hawaii Sheriff have no jurisdiction on federal military land or their armories.

We didn’t give a **** about Hawaii state gun laws and it didn’t apply to us in any way shape or form.

I conceal carried while I was there and I was also a qualified Federal Boarding Officer.

Last edited by Endless; 06-11-2021 at 8:37 AM..